Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 05:03   #2176
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Kurup - Malayalam (Netflix)

I was hoping to watch this one at the theatre and the only reason i didn't was that it was playing only at one location on the other side of town, and then the prices. Am i glad i didn't bother!

As a DQ fan, i had huge expectations from this movie - the story, the period cars used (that i could identify with) and all the hype around the movie. To be honest, i didn't know much about the true sequence of events so went in to watch the movie with an open mind. I came out disappointed, like many others here have mentioned.

The movie is worth a one-time watch, and that's about it. There were too many back-n-forth flicks, which weren't even executed properly. As mentioned by the others, the actual incident that should have formed the base of the story was dealt with almost like a passing shot. Too much unnecessary buildup with DQ himself only to end up with an intro to a sequel for Alexander. I agree with the views above on how the ending was almost reminiscent of Lucifer.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:11   #2177
Team-BHP Support

Kadaseelai Biryani

Don't miss this super awesome movie on Netflix. Brilliant cinematography and a very tight screen play.

Excellent performances by the crew and the bad guy...damn he is a tooooo good.

Movie contains foul language and violence.

You will not be able to guess anything that happens in this movie. So I am not going to tell anything about the story because how it starts and how it ends is absolutely crazy.

The Regional movies thread!-kd.jpg
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:37   #2178
BHPian

Jan.E.Man - Malayalam:

Watched this movie from theater with friends. All of us enjoyed the movie. Full entertainer with shades of some dark comedy. Highly underrated movie. You can very well watch this with family. Excellent script, good acting and direction.

Ratings : 4/5
K_Drive is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 14:17   #2179
BHPian

Kurup

Rating : 3/5

Watched it on OTT and happy I did that instead of going to the theatre. The movie is just OK.. Nothing worth the hype. Lot of blunders through out. Just listing some of them and I promise these are not going to spoil the deal for people who might not have watched it so far

1. Kurups long hair style remains, even while he is in Indian Air force. No cutting of the beautiful long tresses for DQ, even for being the character. Remembered Mamooty shaving his head bald for movies like Yathra etc to become the character.

2. Scamming the Indian air force and that too single handedly by a low level officer with no powers is really far fetched, even in the 1970's.

3. Kurup changes his name, but his family and people around him know him by both the names as and when required. I mean he even signs a cheque with his new name while he is at his kerala home, where he is still known by his old name. So confusing.

4. Kurup who is on the run and in the wanted list, never seems to change his hairstyle or shave his beard or his stylish looks. Am sure the original Kurup would have done these first to avoid anyone recognising him easily.

5. The color of the burnt car keeps changing from black to white to black in different scenes. Kurups own car was white and his aides even state that Kurup never allowed anyone else to drive his car and hence they were sure it was Kurups dead body in the car. But the car being burnt was not white.

6. Were some of the characters in the movie actually required? Like Sunny Wayne, Saiju Kurup etc....

7. Finally what happened to Kurups wife and his aides??

In short this movie has nothing to actually do with the Sukumara Kurup case. Felt this story was just used as a filler to connect the first part and climax for the sake of creating a hype. Infact this middle portion could have had any story line.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:25   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Kurup
5. The color of the burnt car keeps changing from black to white to black in different scenes. Kurups own car was white and his aides even state that Kurup never allowed anyone else to drive his car and hence they were sure it was Kurups dead body in the car. But the car being burnt was not white.
FundaG
He had two cars - the white one which he owned already (supposedly pledged somewhere by Sudheesh when Kurup arrives back) and the black one which he bought at the airport. Murder happened in the White car and the Black car was burned with Charlie's body. The real Kurup too had two cars and the second one was bought specifically to be used for staging the crime.

I too was quite underwhelmed by the movie and felt that they were just leaning on OG Kurup's infamy to create hype for a thriller movie.
Old 20th December 2021, 19:44   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
He had two cars - the white one which he owned already (supposedly pledged somewhere by Sudheesh when Kurup arrives back) and the black one which he bought at the airport. Murder happened in the White car and the Black car was burned with Charlie's body. The real Kurup too had two cars and the second one was bought specifically to be used for staging the crime.
No bro. I think it was a goof up in the movie. You will see from the below screenshots..
- During the first shot when Indrajit visits the accident site, the burnt car is white.
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20211220-5.58.19-pm.png

- In the later stage they show torching the black car
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20211220-6.06.55-pm.png

- Also DQ comes in his white car to Shine toms house to burn Tovino. So the white car was already with Kurup at the time.
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20211220-6.05.31-pm.png

And Shine tom also says later to Indrajit , that he was sure the dead body was of Kurup as he dint let anyone else drive his car. The black car was always driven by the other guy.

I just felt for a movie with such a big team, all these were really major goof ups. Not meaning to say the team didnt put the efforts, but just noting it.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:26   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
No bro. I think it was a goof up in the movie.
- During the first shot when Indrajit visits the accident site, the burnt car is white.
I presume, as the paint gets burnt and stripped out revealing the bare metal which is close to white. (A google image search shows all "burnt cars" are white) Think about it, they show the black car being torched, why would they change it to a white car later on?

To give benefit of doubt, the "A" piller and the portion below windscreen has some black artifacts.

I agree with the other flaws you mentioned. I would also rate the movie 3/5.
bejoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 22:23   #2183
Team-BHP Support

Looks like I belong to the minority who must have sat through 3 hours of Marakkar without feeling a moment of boredom!

Priyan’s usual cast from his previous movies are all there but like Rajeevraj mentioned - just too many sub-plots and the writer appears to be in a hurry to squeeze everything within the screen time. Some were really pointless and could have been done away with.

I loved the sets and naval warfare sequences. Sabu Cyril, the go-to guy for any director for the props and sets got it really well. Man, I really wished Ilaiyaraaja did the music for this just like Kalapani. Would have come out much better.

3.5/5
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:06   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kadaseelai Biryani

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Don't miss this super awesome movie on Netflix. Brilliant cinematography and a very tight screen play.

Excellent performances by everyone.
Kadaseela Biriyani Netfilx

Agree, quite a handful of a movie The movie kept me glued to the screen for the running time with so much happening with each passing minute. Never a dull moment and what fantastic performances by everyone. Little violent but the storyline made the movie worth its time. The voiceover was the glue, truly engaging movie. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5

Mandaar Bangla Hoichoi TV

Another Macbeth adaptation and what a series. Directed by acclaimed Bangla actor Anirban Bhattcharya, Mandaar is a slow burn and is a wonderful adaptation of the great story, almost at par with Vishal Bhradwaj’s Maqbool. The performances are great and the series is highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 20th December 2021 at 23:08.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 00:32   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kurup

Rating : 3/5

Watched it on OTT and happy I did that instead of going to the theatre. The movie is just OK.. Nothing worth the hype. Lot of blunders through out. Just listing some of them and I promise these are not going to spoil the deal for people who might not have watched it so far

6. Were some of the characters in the movie actually required? Like Sunny Wayne, Saiju Kurup etc....

7. Finally what happened to Kurups wife and his aides??

In short this movie has nothing to actually do with the Sukumara Kurup case. Felt this story was just used as a filler to connect the first part and climax for the sake of creating a hype. Infact this middle portion could have had any story line.

FundaG
Yes, too many loopholes in the plot. Was it a goof-up or intentional to circumvent any controversy, you never know.

My mom says, she remembers hearing that his wife and kids escaped after the incident and were not jailed. While in the movie, it is shown that they are outside the country when it happens. There is no clarity on how the wife was brought to India and what happened to her in the movie.

I feel if they had not linked this to Sukumara Kurup to reduce the hype and tidied up the storyline, it could have been a better watch. I felt the last 30 min was the best part if viewed without the original Kurup connection in the mind.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 06:34   #2186
Team-BHP Support

My understanding was that Marakkar should be available on Prime to watch, but i couldn't find it. Is this a staggered release?
Old 21st December 2021, 07:52   #2187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My understanding was that Marakkar should be available on Prime to watch, but i couldn't find it. Is this a staggered release?
I believe it is available only in Prime India; was not showing up in my Prime listing while in Singapore but now showing when connected from Kerala.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 08:30   #2188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I believe it is available only in Prime India; was not showing up in my Prime listing while in Singapore but now showing when connected from Kerala.
That explains it, then. Enjoy your time at home.
Old 21st December 2021, 12:13   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like I belong to the minority who must have sat through 3 hours of Marakkar without feeling a moment of boredom!
3.5/5
Me too (and wife too) We both found this movie good and thoroughly enjoyed. Wife was also commenting on Portuguese speaking English. But it is better to speak English rather than Portuguese with English subtitles
Old 22nd December 2021, 06:23   #2190
BHPian

Lalbagh on Zee5.

This Malayalam movie stars Mamata Mohandas in the lead as a woman trying to deal with the murder / death of her husband.
Do watch if you have nothing better to do and have 90 minutes to spare. It is a small movie but you can predict how it will end. It seems to be influenced by a hit "English" movie from the recent past though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Excellent performances by the crew and the bad guy...damn he is a tooooo good.
Kadaseela Biriyani
Thank you so much for this amazing movie suggestion. Watched it last evening and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was hilarious in quite a few sequences and equally violent in a few others.
The villain literally takes the movie to another level altogether.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks