Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 08:45   #2086
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Jai Bhim - Tamil

I share the same comments as others here. Hard hitting drama with some brutal violence. Everyone acted very well right from the small kid, tribals and the main cop.

But Visaaranai still takes the top spot for me when talking about similar storyline.

Rating - 4/5
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 13:11   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Annaatthe - 0/5

Torture. 3 hours of absolute torture.

That is what this movie is (still another 30 mins to go for us). As a diehard Rajnikanth fan, I have sat through some really bad movies of his (e.g. Lingaa), but this one takes the cake. Literally.

Of course, the movie will make money, in spite of the bad direction and everything else. Logic usually doesn't have a say in Rajnikanth movies, but this one - what to say. One has to experience to understand my sentiments, so please do give this movie a try and let me know how was your experience
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 15:36   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thinkalazhcha Nishchayam - Malayalam (2021)

To describe it - Hidden gem.

Rating - 4.5/5
A good movie for a one-time watch. I felt the language was a bit difficult to understand (I am from southern Kerala) and the overall low-audio levels made it harder. The lighting was also poor in some scenes like the youngest son and friends fighting were washed out and couldn't make sense of what was happening. Probably it was intentional to make it feel realistic.

Rating 3/5
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 19:10   #2089
BHPian

Watched Thinkalazhcha Nishchayam after reading all the reviews here.

Its a brilliantly made movie with a few drawbacks worth mentioning.

The tone of the movie often shifts between drama, dark comedy, melodrama and slapstick comedy. There are scenes that borders on slapstick which end up spoiling the general mood of the film. And the song in the middle of the proceedings just sticks out like a sore thumb. It is evident that it is force fitted in and none of the actors who participate in it appears to be comfortable with the act.

At the end it is a humorous take on a social evil and the writers managed to show all aspects of the problem without taking sides - until the very end. The final scene scene after the first set of credits start rolling was unnecessary and is counterproductive to the overall message it conveys.

I generally dislike movies that attempt to be social commentaries, as they often end up sermonizing. The lack of it in this is a welcome change from all the Malayalam movies that have made waves recently.

Anyway all the above criticism is somewhat harsh considering that the makers and the actors are new. It is a wonder how they managed to pull off such a brilliant move.

I'd give it a 4/5.

Last edited by dragonfire : 4th November 2021 at 19:13.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 23:25   #2090
BHPian

Enemy: Tamizh: -1/5

Avoid, even for the die-hard(!!) fans of Vishal, Arya or anyone else from the movie.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 13:27   #2091
BHPian

Annathe - 0/5.

I am a diehard Rajini fan, but it is seriously getting hard to sit through 3 hours for his movies these days. Of his recent stuff have only liked Kabali while Petta was bearable mostly due to the music.

I thought he hit the trough with Darbar but Annathe surely takes the cake. Must be his worst movie ever.

I dont understand his fascination with violence lately. Even Baasha where he was literally a don had far less fight scenes.
anandhsub is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:24   #2092
Distinguished - BHPian

Read yesterday that 4 of Mohanlal's next 5 movies, all produced by his right hand man Antony Perumbavoor are going the OTT way with Amazon Prime. This includes the big budget period drama 'Marakkar' which has been ready for release since March 2020. The most expensive Malayalam film made as per reports. Others include '12th Man' by Jeethu Joseph, 'Bro Daddy' by Prithviraj, A film with Vysakh and 'Alone' with Shaji Kailas. Theatre owners are an unhappy lot as the last movies with the same combo - Drishyam, Lucifer, Pulimurugan were all industry level blockbusters and a big opening would have been guaranteed.

With Malayalam Cinemas recent popularity across the country looks like the OTT trend is here to stay irrespective of theaters opening. Other top stars like Prithviraj and Fahad Fazil also seem to prefer OTT now. Tovino's biggest release Minnal Murali has gone to Netflix. Nivins next one is on Hotstar. Only Mammootty and Dulquer have resisted going the OTT way now.

Don't think this trend is there with the other south industries with the main stars. Only Suriya ( and Jyothika also) are going down the same path with their big films going directly to OTT.

Would be interesting to see how this pans out.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:51   #2093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Read yesterday that 4 of Mohanlal's next 5 movies, all produced by his right hand man Antony Perumbavoor are going the OTT way with Amazon Prime.
Marakkar for OTT is a brilliant piece of business I feel; easily could have become an expensive flop if released in cinemas – restrictions on occupancy, hesitant family audience (due to Covid-19), and from the teaser/trailer the whole thing looked pretty gimmicky.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:12   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would be interesting to see how this pans out.
Booking a ticket with kidneys, driving to a theater in congested traffic, finding (fighting) a parking slot, paying arms & legs for popcorn to watch a movie, battling through traffic to reach home are bygone era; probably watching a movie in theater with a large group of friends, relatives or multiple families is a different experience.

Nobody these days has luxury of time to afford spending 3-4 hours round trip for watching a 2 hours movie unless they monetize those hours.

This is an era where people build mini theater at their own house; this is an era of watching movie at convenience of arms rather than paying through arms & legs; and with an independence to watch what we want to, when we need to & the way we need to without a bound to timeslots.

Offlate been watching Mr. Cho's old movies, ridiculously hilarious ones...

Last edited by aargee : 6th November 2021 at 09:13.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:56   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Annaatthe - 0/5

Torture. 3 hours of absolute torture.

That is what this movie is (still another 30 mins to go for us). As a diehard Rajnikanth fan, I have sat through some really bad movies of his (e.g. Lingaa), but this one takes the cake. Literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Annathe - 0/5.

I am a diehard Rajini fan, but it is seriously getting hard to sit through 3 hours for his movies these days. Of his recent stuff have only liked Kabali while Petta was bearable mostly due to the music.

I thought he hit the trough with Darbar but Annathe surely takes the cake. Must be his worst movie ever.

Haven’t watched this as yet, but in all likelihood I wouldn’t watch this movie even when it’s available for free on any streaming platform!
No offence to Rajini fans, but he grossly underestimates the intelligence of fans and also overestimates his ability! Else, how on earth does it justify making films like these? I thought he had made some good moves by making movies like Kabali, Kaala and Pettai. Not that these movies were great, but he was sort of acting in a different genre and was also more or less acting his age. Now, with Annathe, I could not even watch the trailer! It was so bad! And you have to admit, Rajini has been looking physically weak for a long time now, and one can easily make out his strain while even walking in usual style, forget about dancing and fighting!

When actors like Suriya can take up subjects like Jai Bhim and Soorari potru, why is Rajini hanging on to these 80’s movie plots?

Linga failed big time and I’m guessing Annathe too would go the same route. The online YouTube reviews have made a joke out of this movie.

On the contrary, I saw Jai Bhim on Amazon prime, and it was a very good one! Some scenes are a bit heartbreaking to watch, however it’s been made well with the right intentions. Hats off to the director for getting this movie right!
Old 7th November 2021, 02:01   #2096
Distinguished - BHPian

Jai Bhim - Amazing movie. You know how well a villain has done a role, when you hate that character throughout the movie. I'll probably pick the negative characters as the best in this movie, but every single character / actor has done a fabulous job. 4.5/5

Doctor (Tamil) - another movie where almost all characters are wasted but you are treated to beautiful comedy. Now, imagine how good the comedy was, if the characters weren't required to "deliver" it ! (3.5/5) , climax was a little draggy.

Udan Pirape (Tamil) - Horribly sentimental movie. I really struggled for the first 15 mins and then moved off the platform itself. Every single dialogue is drenched in unwanted sentiments.

Erida (Malayalam) - Some experimental movie by VK Prakash (modern day take on Draupadi I guess) where a wife is used as a collateral (?) for a poker game. I don't know whether Samyukta is struggling so much in the industry where she has to pick such roles to stay relevant. Stopped watching after 15-20 mins.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th November 2021 at 02:07.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 08:36   #2097
Distinguished - BHPian

Doctor - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-202191111118925_1.jpg

Was a super let down. Had been looking forward to this after hearing very good reviews for few months now.

Was expecting it to be a crime thriller but turned out to be a very common storyline. Absolutely nothing new to this. As BHPian swiftnfurious pointed out, too many characters wasted but loved the 3 comedians.

Rating - 2/5 (Watch for the comedy. Not a thriller/mystery.)
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:34   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Doctor - Tamil

Attachment 2228472

Was a super let down. Had been looking forward to this after hearing very good reviews for few months now.

Was expecting it to be a crime thriller but turned out to be a very common storyline. Absolutely nothing new to this. As BHPian swiftnfurious pointed out, too many characters wasted but loved the 3 comedians.

Rating - 2/5 (Watch for the comedy. Not a thriller/mystery.)
Beg to differ here - Not very bad and don’t expect a fantastic crime thriller but watch it as a Nelson movie Kolamavu kokila, no logic but better comedy than the previous movie.

I liked it just for fresh comedy style of Redin Kingsley and Yogi Babu character along the story.

Would have even watched in theatres if it is not for the pandemic.

Wondering if Beast is going to be on similar lines?
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 14:31   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Adding 3 more portraying Cho's comedy...
This is a good thriller

Jai Shankar as CID Shankar...James Bond of Tamil Cinema

This one was absolute hilarious especially with Nagesh & a good thriller as well
Old 12th November 2021, 15:43   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Offlate been watching Mr. Cho's old movies, ridiculously hilarious ones...
Speaking of old comedy movies, this one was released when even I was not born! But do check it out! I think this was Sarojadevi's debut film in Tamil.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th November 2021 at 15:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks