Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 11:56   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Any reviews on Mohan Lal's "Mr Fraud"
Watched it yesterday. It is a movie utilizing Mohan Lal's star value and being a fan I liked the movie. It is definitely watchable and much better than - Geethanjali, Ladies and Gentleman, Lokpal etc.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:09   #587
Senior - BHPian

Mr Fraud- It was supposed to be a heist drama but ended up as an average movie, which satisfies only the fans of Mohanlal. Script is full of cliches and presentation side isn't interesting either.
My Rating- 5/10.

How Old Are You- A good come back for Manju Warrier. Story is quite similar to what has happened to her in her own life. The makers have to be appreciated for presenting such a theme without using melodrama. Script is simple and well written. Roshan Andrews is in good form. This one's a good watch. I'd say, a Must Watch for all women and their families too.
My Rating- 8/10.
Old 31st May 2014, 18:19   #588
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore days - It isn't easy to make a feel good movie with a predictable story line and without any major twists and turns but Anjaly Menon has succeeded in making a feel good entertainer. It's a fun movie. Bangalore Days is all about the life of 3 cousins and their bonding. All the lead actors have equal screen space and they have done their part well. Script and direction is superb. Sameer Thahir's cinematography is a major plus, especially during the motocross race scenes. The usual Gopisunder magic is missing here but music isn't that bad. I'm not sure if it's right to mention it as a drawback but at close to 3 hours, the movie is a bit long. It's easy to say that it should have been trimmed but each scene in this movie has a beauty of its own. Don't expect another Ustad Hotel. It's a good timespass movie.
My Rating- 8/10
Old 1st June 2014, 15:14   #589

Any movie making hobbyists here?. Me and friends started making a short movie for fun, its a heroism parody. Will post the link once done if tbhp rules permit.
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:29   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Eagerly looking forward to watch How Old are You when I head home this Thursday.
Forgot to mention. Watched this movie when I was home and it turned out to be really good! Manju has indeed made a good comeback after a long hiatus. Reminded me of Sridevi in English Vinglish but that was a blockbuster! This one is definitely worth a watch. Sad to hear about the rumored divorce with Dileep though.

Looking forward to watch Bangalore Days. Anjali Menon doesn’t disappoint.
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:26   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention. Watched this movie when I was home and it turned out to be really good! Manju has indeed made a good comeback after a long hiatus. Reminded me of Sridevi in English Vinglish but that was a blockbuster! This one is definitely worth a watch. Sad to hear about the rumored divorce with Dileep though.

Bangalore days is worth every penny (atleast that's what I feel). Anand123 pointed out everything that I wanted to say. Excellent acting by all the lead actors, good music and BGM (although one track is an exact copy of Requiem for a dream OST) and brilliant camera work.
Old 8th June 2014, 17:47   #592
Senior - BHPian

Watched Bangalore Days and I liked it very much. What took some points away from the movie was the plug for that pickle brand in one of the scenes and the unnecessary drama in the motocross event, but I am nitpicking here. The characters and casting were top class. Anjali Menon' reading of the modern society is really commendable.

Rating: A shade below Ustad Hotel. That is one of my favorite movies.
Old 8th June 2014, 18:34   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

^Agree. Ustad hotel is one of my favorite movies. Bangalore days is below that but a good watch. Interesting to see English sub titles here in Bangalore. Looks like after drishyam there is an attempt to tap into the non mallu audience. Struggled to get tickets inspite of a large number of shows. Looks set for a long run here.
Old 9th June 2014, 13:14   #594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Forgot to mention. We watched Bangalore Days last week and it was very good. But the movie was darn predictable. And I cannot help but draw resemblances to Farhan Akhtar’s Rock On!! save for a few changes. Did anyone else notice this? Not blatant copying but the two movies shared a lot of similarities. Regardless, it was a good watch. Soundtracks were okay but cinematography was amazing! Classic Sameer Thahir stuff. Anjali Menon’s scripts have been consistently received well.

We caught the last and the only show on Thursday. Malayalam movies barely run for beyond a week here.
Old 15th June 2014, 21:08   #595
Senior - BHPian

Angry Babies - Saji Surendran's new movie 'Angry Babies' is all about love before marriage and life after marriage. An ordinary still photographer and the daughter of a rich businessman elope to Mumbai and start a new life together. But life wasn't as easy and colorful as they had wished. Misunderstandings and ego clashes pops up and how they go ahead in their life is what to be seen. Anoop Menon's story had a lot of scope in it. They could have made a colorful movie for the youth with, probably Dulquer in the lead role or a complete family entertainer with Dileep. Well, Krishna Poojappura's script transformed the basic story into a mega serial kinda thing and Saji Surendran's usual making style didn't make any wonders either. Personally, I felt if Anoop Menon himself had penned the script, it would have turned out to be a much better movie.

On the acting side, Anoop Menon wasn't the best man for such a role but the on screen chemistry he shares with Bhavana is terrific. Both look good together. Bhavana adds glamour to an otherwise dull movie. Joju George, Nobi, Anusree manages to create laughs in a few scenes. Music and BGM isn't worth mentioning. A talented man behind the camera could have helped a lot but Anil Nair's cinematography is below par. Editing is literally in an unprofessional manner and is another major drawback.

Overall, Angry Babies is an average movie at best.

My Rating- 5/10
Old 16th June 2014, 06:22   #596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Glad to see there are others who found Ustad Hotel good as well. While the movie as such is quite a simple story, the characters as well as the music help elevate the experience. Somehow i end up going back repeatedly to watch the movie.
Old 16th June 2014, 06:33   #597
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore days.

After all the hype I expected something else, but the movie turned out to be wannabe sorts. However it is entertaining. Manages to show the Bangalore fixation among malayalee youth quite well, however apart from that, the movie has nothing to do with Bangalore, it could have been any other city for that matter and would have made no difference to the story line.

Fahad excels as usual. I am turning into a fan now.

Watchable movie but I would never recommend this as a must watch.
Old 16th June 2014, 08:10   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Glad to see there are others who found Ustad Hotel good as well. While the movie as such is quite a simple story, the characters as well as the music help elevate the experience. Somehow i end up going back repeatedly to watch the movie.
Absolutely! I love the background score in the move. It is amazing! The characterization, casting and camera work was also great. And a great message as well, truly a complete picture. One can never get bored with it.
Old 16th June 2014, 10:02   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Watched Bangalore Days and I liked it very much. What took some points away from the movie was the plug for that pickle brand in one of the scenes and the unnecessary drama in the motocross event, but I am nitpicking here. The characters and casting were top class. Anjali Menon' reading of the modern society is really commendable.

Precisely our (me+wifey) assessment as we left the theatre

Though in general found our parents & others in their generation, didn't find the movie that entertaining. "How old are you" fared better for them. Maybe this is the fabled generation gap..... or?
Old 8th July 2014, 22:31   #600
Team-BHP Support

My Malayali brethren, please suggest me some good Padmarajan flicks. Njan Gandharvan, Thoovanathumbikal, Moonam Pakkam, what else?

Most Viewed