Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 16:07   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But do check it out! I think this was Sarojadevi's debut film in Tamil
Have seen this movie long time ago Sir; I'm pursuing Mr. Cho's movies, not necessarily comedy. Although this one doesn't have a happy ending

Old 12th November 2021, 16:28   #2102
Senior - BHPian

^^ That was a snapshot of the TN Assembly and politics during the 70's. An extremely bold movie, and how many hurdles he faced to release it. A classic.
Old 12th November 2021, 16:35   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Have seen this movie long time ago Sir; I'm pursuing Mr. Cho's movies, not necessarily comedy. Although this one doesn't have a happy ending
This one's not from Cho but a good one from the master: Nagesh.

Bama Vijayam (1967).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Annathe - 0/5.

I am a diehard Rajini fan, but it is seriously getting hard to sit through 3 hours for his movies these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Annaatthe - 0/5

Torture. 3 hours of absolute torture.
What was the last movie of Rajni that i spent my moolah on?. Wait. Thalapathi (1991) and that's partly because of Mani + Mammooty combo.

Seems that there is enough grounds to start a new thread "Has rajni lost his midas touch?". If there is one for ARR then why not for Rajni?.

His contemporary hasn't been doing well either. It was downhill from Hey Ram (2000).

Last edited by srini1785 : 12th November 2021 at 16:37.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 17:49   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That was a snapshot of the TN Assembly and politics during the 70's. An extremely bold movie, and how many hurdles he faced to release it. A classic.
Sir, that is a vera level movie. Mr. Mohan Raman had to say this about it in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
This one's not from Cho but a good one from the master: Nagesh
Yes Sir, have watched it twice

Quote:
What was the last movie of Rajni that i spent my moolah on?. Wait. Thalapathi (1991) and that's partly because of Mani + Mammooty combo
Boss...you forgot 3 more...but all pre 2000

Name:  baasha216122016m.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  226.3 KB

The Regional movies thread!-71lhccx5kal._ri_.jpg

The Regional movies thread!-80642.jpg

Quote:
Seems that there is enough grounds...Hey Ram (2000).
Old 12th November 2021, 20:34   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Ever seen Nagesh in a serious fight scene? Ever seen Cho singing a song? Then this movie is a MUST watch. Despite Cho, Nagesh, VKR, Manorama, it's a little serious, ofcourse there's also humor & very very different story as well

Old 12th November 2021, 23:33   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Has rajni lost his midas touch?". If there is one for ARR then why not for Rajni?.
As a Rajini fan. Rajini as an actor was 'dead' with Rajadhi Raja and the masala movie hero in Padayappa. From Baba onwards its been a <beep> show. From a family friend who was a former rasigar mandram (fan club) member, Baba was supposed to be his last movie. From thereon its Latha (his wife) who is running the show.

I consider Petta as an exception, that happened solely because of Karthik Subbaraj. You can see glimpses as Vaseegaran in Endhiran, but that's about it.

Quote:
It was downhill from Hey Ram (2000).
I liked Anbe Sivam and Virumandi and 1st half of Vettaiyadu Vilayadu, despite the agenda undertones the first 2 movies had.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 23:57   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I liked Anbe Sivam and Virumandi and 1st half of Vettaiyadu Vilayadu, despite the agenda undertones the first 2 movies had.
All above are Virumandi is based on Rashomon effect based on original Rashomon Japanese movie in 50s (or 60s). Anyone has hardly attempted such a script in India. May be the old Tamil movie Andha Naal by Sivaji Ganesan, but Virumandi is closer to Rashomon effect

Vettayadu Vilayadu became a little masala. I think both Vettayadu Vilayadu & Vishwaroopam, if they would've been a serious subject like old Kurudhipunal, it might've been better. Also I felt Daniel Balaji had been hysterical with his psychotic role, otherwise would've been good

Offlate none of the main stage actors movies are worth watching other than masala lovers. Vijay Sethupathi still holds some reason to watch for; and Karthik Subburaj direction are good to watch for now.

Last edited by aargee : 13th November 2021 at 00:00.
Old 13th November 2021, 08:53   #2108
Distinguished - BHPian

Kanakam-kamini-kalaham: Malayalam:Nivin Pauly on Hotstar.

Supposed to be a slapstick madcap comedy. Just one incident made into a 2 hr movie. Most of the story happens in a single location at a hotel in Munnar. A missing earring and the confusion around it.

Mostly misfires. A few laugh aloud moments that come up occasionally but otherwise gets boring. Cast was a mixed bag. These kind of movies rely on the comic timing and skills of the actors to make us laugh even in absurd situations. (Think Priyadarsan and his gang of actors or Dileep and his set). Nivin could not do what a Mohanlal or Dileep can with respect to comedy. Vinay Fortt is good, so is Grace Antony and a couple of others. The starting title credits sequence is great and innovative.

Rating: 2.5/5. A pass time watch when you have nothing to do.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:01   #2109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Supposed to be a slapstick madcap comedy. Just one incident made into a 2 hr movie. Most of the story happens in a single location at a hotel in Munnar. A missing earring and the confusion around it.

They were trying the 80's/90's comedy but failed miserably. It was a drag. But much better than some of Nivin's recent movies.

Rating - 1/5
Old 13th November 2021, 09:06   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
All above are Virumandi is based on Rashomon effect based on original Rashomon Japanese movie in 50s (or 60s).
I haven't seen Virumandi fully, I must confess but have watched Roshomon repeatedly and to this day remains one of my Favs. IMO, these are two different movies. Virumandi is still a commercial movie with strong caste overtones. Roshomon, on the other hand, was a exploration of the human psyche. Akira Kurosawa was certainly not interested in the question "Who did it?" rather it was an attempt to show how people spin narrations to suit themselves. Roshomon is for the more mature audiences while Virumandi is for the common movie goer.

Quote:
Anbe sivam was OK. Too much sermonizing but subtle. Vettaiyadu Vilayadu was run-of-the-mill. Anyways , I watched Dasavatharam and lost all hopes of getting anything out of Kamal.

Last edited by srini1785 : 13th November 2021 at 09:14.
Old 13th November 2021, 10:16   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Watched Jai Bhim yesterday and while we had planned to split the movie over two nights, we ended up watching it completely.

What a hard hitting movie it was. More than Suriya, some of the supporting cast were very very impressive and made me almost forget it was a movie.

Amazing movie.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 14:41   #2112
BHPian

Quote:

Mostly misfires. A few laugh aloud moments that come up occasionally but otherwise gets boring. Cast was a mixed bag. These kind of movies rely on the comic timing and skills of the actors to make us laugh even in absurd situations. (Think Priyadarsan and his gang of actors or Dileep and his set). Nivin could not do what a Mohanlal or Dileep can with respect to comedy. Vinay Fortt is good, so is Grace Antony and a couple of others. The starting title credits sequence is great and innovative.

Atrocious movie. Total waste of time. Wonder why Nivin Pauly hasn’t managed to lose weight.
Old 13th November 2021, 15:48   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Favs. IMO, these are two different movies...Virumandi is for the common movie goer.
Yes, what can be understood in Japanese culture cannot be understood here. Like Avvai Shanmugi & Mrs. Doubtfire, Tenali & What About Bob & even the famed Drishyam & The Devotion of Suspect X. So some patti & tinkering work has to be done here.

Forget India, even Last Man Standing was tinkered for US based on Yojimbo. These are acceptable with cross cultures

I'm a person who accepts movies as what they're only based on how well it has been produced & showcased irrespective of the language & culture. That way, compared to Kamal's older movies the recent ones like Dasavatharam (and that that crap Manmadan Ambu & even Paapanasam as well) don't speak of his signature
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 19:04   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Stepped into theatre today first time after more than 1.5 years.. Oh what a feel. Whatever OTT comes up, the theatrical big screen experience is still different.

Kurupp - 3/5 (theatre)

Nice entertainer, sometimes boring due to frequent switch back and forth between past and present. BGM is engaging as well and nicely carries the thread forward. If there is one who can do this character of Kurupp, it looks to be DQ himself the most suitable.

Good watch if you want a break.
Old 14th November 2021, 17:17   #2115
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
They were trying the 80's/90's comedy but failed miserably. It was a drag. But much better than some of Nivin's recent movies.

Rating - 1/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Atrocious movie. Total waste of time. Wonder why Nivin Pauly hasn’t managed to lose weight.
Kanakam Kamini Kalaham - Malayalam, Hotstar

Agree with the general sentiment here. Expected more from Nivin Pauly whom we're seeing after a long break. Attempted comedy - miserable failure.

Rating - 1/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks