Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:21   #2536
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Jana Gana Mana - Malayalam (Netflix)

Movie asks a lot of pertinent questions but in a very ham fisted way. Prithviraj's performance and his courtroom monologues are what elevates this movie. However, even as a lay person it is not hard to find the court room proceedings depicted as highly unrealistic. Personally, i felt that they should have trimmed a bit and arrived at the court room earlier. Also, could have done less with alludes to a sequel.

PS: Why is this movie set in Karnataka? For the sake of audience, most of the characters speak in broken Malayalam intermixed with Tamil. At one point I had to LOL because two obvious non-malayalees were having a conversation in Malayalam .
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:31   #2537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
PS: Why is this movie set in Karnataka? For the sake of audience, most of the characters speak in broken Malayalam intermixed with Tamil. At one point I had to LOL because two obvious non-malayalees were having a conversation in Malayalam .
Haven't seen the movie, but from other past Malayalam movies, setting up the story in Karnataka allows the film makers to take an easy potshot at right wing politics, since there is a limit realistically for them to do so if the story was set in Kerala or Tamilnadu.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:02   #2538
BHPian

Jana Gana Mana

Rating : 4.5/5

OTT - Netflix

Superb movie on various grounds. Poking indirectly at almost all political drama happening in our country for the past few years. Like few noted in the earlier comments, why is the story not happening in Kerala. Maybe becos we never had a police encounter of this kind in Kerala. And so they went to Karnataka for bringing in some of those political parts without making it feel too out of place. Else the story would have to happen somewhere in the north.

Kannadigas speaking malayalam and tamil felt odd at times. The makers could have taken the liberty to give the statement that all characters would be speaking in malayalam for sake of viewers understanding - have seen similar statement in a tamil movie where foreigners were all speaking tamil.

Didnt see that super impact bomb scene that was there in the trailer and then the movie ends with a Prithviraj dialogue that gives a high chance for a 2nd part.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 3rd June 2022 at 18:03.
fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:13   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Maybe becos we never had a police encounter of this kind in Kerala.
*Cough* *cough*

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...unter-4393868/

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...yanad-5615041/

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...erala-6092098/
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:04   #2540
BHPian

These are maoist encounters bro. Kerala also had lockup killings and similar stuff right from 1960-70's . But not a similar encounter that is the crux for this movie. As I dont want to reveal the plot of the movie for those who have not watched, this encounter is similar to one that happened in another state. So putting this as something happening in kerala perspective or campus will surely impact the overall story line.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 3rd June 2022 at 19:07.
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:16   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are maoist encounters bro... But not a similar encounter that is the crux for this movie.
Oh OK. Was not aware there is a taxonomy of encounters.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:49   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Oh OK. Was not aware there is a taxonomy of encounters.
Yaaaa. Underworld encounters, maoist encounters, terrorist encounters.. Even TBHP encounters.

FundaG
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:05   #2543
BHPian

Vikram(Tamil - theater release) 3.5/5

Just one word to explain - Mass entertainer! This movie got excellent BGM. Very well complementing the visuals. Perfect start cast. Everyone has done their role perfectly. Predictable story line. No unwanted drama and all. That helps the overall pace of the movie. I haven't seen RRR, KGF and Beast(not my type of movies). So not a right person to compare. Watch this on good theater for its BGM.

Last edited by K_Drive : 3rd June 2022 at 20:09.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 22:42   #2544
BHPian

Vikram Tamizh - 4/5

Its more of a 'Lokesh Kanagaraj' movie than Aandavar's (KamalHaasan).
It pays to revisit the director's earlier Tamizh movie Kaithi (Karthi starrer), before watching Vikram.

Though the story is a one-liner, cinematography and stunt sequences are too familiar (Kaithi and Master), the screenplay makes the movie an exciting watch. The second half, especially climax, seems a little dragged (ala Kaithi and Master); but is action packed to the core.

Given the setting for Kaithi 2/ Vikram 3; this may very well become Lokesh Kanagaraj's Gangsta Universe.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 3rd June 2022 at 22:43.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 00:11   #2545
BHPian

Jana Gana Mana - Malayalam (Netflix)

Will give it a 4/5, loses one point for some parts of the plotline just being too convenient and the politician almost seems like a caricature from the Tamil movies of the 2000s. Apart from that, this was an excellent movie. The movie raises so many social issues at the same time that it was easy to lose track!

Just a word of caution - the movie contains quite a lot of potshots at the current politics and recent events, so those who might get easily triggered/offended might want to skip this one.
Old 4th June 2022, 11:41   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jana Gana Mana

Rating : 4.5/5

OTT - Netflix

Superb movie on various grounds. Poking indirectly at almost all political drama happening in our country for the past few years.
I saw the movie and enjoyed Prithviraj's role more than anybody else in the movie. The student leader, the judge were all super hamming. One time watch movie I would say. But the rating given by most over here in my opinion is bit over the edge.

My rating: 3/5 (personal)
Old 4th June 2022, 14:42   #2547
BHPian

KGF 2

Watched it since it was there on OTT. And there was nothing else to watch.
No offence to Yash and KGF fans here, but frankly speaking cudnt understand what exactly was there in the movie to make it such an entertainer.

Director to Yash : Wear a suit and sunglass. Give that angry man expression and pose for the camera. And in between just say some punch lines so that we can hear your voice.
Director to rest of the cast : ACT. Act like being scared. Scream. Give a sad expression. A Wowed expression for Rocky Bhai. ACT. ACT. ACT
And repeat this from start to end.

Again no offence to the fans. Just what I felt was the movie. Also lighting and VFX department ensured Yash and heroine stood out always fair, when rest of everything around them were dark.

Dont want to rate it considering the effort that was put towards making a movie of this level with all those sets, actions scenes , BGM etc. Which I have to admit were of good standards mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I saw the movie and enjoyed Prithviraj's role more than anybody else in the movie. The student leader, the judge were all super hamming. One time watch movie I would say. But the rating given by most over here in my opinion is bit over the edge.

My rating: 3/5 (personal)
Personal preferences bro. And i watched it kinda twice, as I had to watch with family too. And dint feel bored as such. Agree on your take on Prithviraj. Btw loved Suraaj also. He and Indrans seems to have really turned into super character actors in the last few years.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 15:42   #2548
Senior - BHPian

If you watched KGF 1, the scene where Rocky Meets Andrew for the first time is a masterclass in screenplay. I was hooked there. I dont know what genre you follow but the whole concept of the KGF town, the mining, the Viking was new to me (and especially for Kannada cinema). The scale of Prashanth Neel's thinking, the vastness, left me in awe. I'm a big fan of the Manmohan Desai brand of film making, and Amitabh starrers like Kala Pathar etc. so the liking for KGF 2. Yash has acted very well, if you have seen/observed his reactions. Besides popular cinema I also consume a lot of parallel cinema in all languages, so I'm not coming from an area of 'darkness'. Sorry if you have not liked the film, but my personal preferences there
Quote:
KGF 2Watched it since it was there on OTT. And there was nothing else to watch.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:56   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If you watched KGF 1, the scene where Rocky Meets Andrew for the first time is a masterclass in screenplay.
The scale of Prashanth Neel's thinking, the vastness, left me in awe. Yash has acted very well, if you have seen/observed his reactions.
Just finished watching KGF Chapter 2 on Prime. Agree with most of your points. There are different genres of films and a film should be judged based on the genre it represents...

Liked the film - I must say my expectations were very low after seeing all the interviews of Yash and Prashanth Neel and them saying this being a massy "Anti-Gravity" film.

They have set the story on a real place - Kolar Gold Fields - and made it a story of power struggle based on this. The idea of putting forth the story like the narration of a Legend called "Rocky" has been done well by layering it on top of place with a real history of Gold mines. The power struggle from different areas and places is also depicted well. The Actors doing the narration leave a mark in the mind - both Prakash Raj and Malavika have done a great job in their roles.

For people interested in the History of KGF - here is a good article: Link

What they have achieved in terms of the visuals by investing just 100 crores is truly amazing. Superb Photography! Most of the movie is shot within Karnataka making use of Infosys Campus and Mysore Palace. 5/5 for the Visuals!

Watched it (heard it!) on a Denon 7.1 Receiver with Polk Audio Floor Standers and full set of Surround Speakers and I must say the Background score has added to the feel of the film a lot. 5/5 for the Background Score.

Thought the heroine element is the weak part of the story and some portions around the heroine and terming her as "entertainment" should have definitely been avoided. Likewise the smoking scenes could have been avoided as well. Yash has the swag and screen presence to carry the role without these add-ons as well.

Overall would rate the movie 4/5 - well worth a watch!

The Regional movies thread!-bom.jpg

From a success perspective, I think the judgement is out - the film is closing in on 1250 crores WW and crossed 50 days as well...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 4th June 2022 at 19:57.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 10:15   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
If anyone was waiting for this to arrive on OTT platforms(Amazon prime). Will watch it over the weekend. So much hype , will rewatch part-1 first and then this
Finished both parts (KGF 1 & 2)back to back in Hindi. And I can see why this movie got so popular. Its all about ‘SWAG’. No wonder he was the brand ambassador of Beardo for sometime. The larger than life scale added to the spectacle. Sanjay Dutt and Raveena did decent in their cameos. Action scenes although a little over the top at times, were done very nicely. Lead Actress was totally pointless in both parts(moreso in 2nd). Tip: Don’t miss the post-credit scene

Rating 4/5.

Question: Did they shoot second time for Raveena and Sanjay Dutt’s part in Hindi? Or were their dialogues in the original version in Hindi itself? Noticed their dialogues didn’t seem to be dubbed but the lead actor,actress and others’ it was evident that its dubbed.

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th June 2022 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks