Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 11:07   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Nazriya's life is normal? her education abruptly ended and she was married off, only to get stuck in a large empty flat in an unknown city with few friends. It is only in the second half of the movie that she started to assert herself, showing the drive to lead her own life?
The comparison was from the perspective of their performances in the movie.

Nazriya starts off as a normal youngster who goes through the stated experiences within a short period of time and deals with them with the support of near and dear ones. Fahad starts off as a person with several inner demons and does not know how to handle them.

There is a difference between facing events with the support of others, as opposed to feeling alone and helpless and guilty over a long period.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:23   #2507
BHPian

Oruthee (2022 Malayalam) : 4/5

The Regional movies thread!-oruthee.jpg

This Malayalam movie is a story of a middle class woman & her struggles and how she stands up to a terrible experience she faced in a critical situation.
The movie is thrilling but also very grounded and relatable to any middle class families. Even though the climax and many scenes are predictable, the movie is done wonderfully well and will not make you feel its lagging anywhere

Key highlights are performance of Navya Nair and Vinayakan. Navya carried the whole movie throughout with perfection. As a middleclass mother, she portrayed the role to perfection.
It was refreshing to see Vinayakan in such a role too. He too did a wonderful job with subtle performance.

Overall a very good entertainer and worth a watch

Last edited by Asish_VK : 17th May 2022 at 12:24.
Asish_VK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:18   #2508
BHPian

Puzhu – 4/5

Puzhu (literally “worm”) is not an easy watch. The protagonist/antagonist is a casteist bigot, played with eerie menace by the one and only Mammootty.

As one watches the movie, there is an air of inevitability about the fate of 2 other lead characters, and yet when that moment does come, it’s a bludgeon – as in “what the heck just happened”. The toxic parenting relationship between Kuttan and his son is so painful in its portrayal, that one cannot but wonder how much worse the son would turn out as an adult.

The one star has been reduced for the hurried and on the nose climax, as if the director wanted to tick few more boxes. I had gotten to believing that the lead character was descending into a hallucinatory paranoia over many sequences, and that would have been a more apt resolution.

PS – This is no conventional thriller – it is a character study of a repulsive human being going about playing with lives he deems to be beneath him (worms?) with nary a second thought. It is slow, deliberate and unnerving.
Pequod is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:40   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Is there any music-streaming/paid option to get the background music of KGF 2? There are some awesome instrumental pieces that I would want to hear ad-free (i.e. other than Youtube). The official tracks of the movie on Amazon Prime Music (/etc.) list only the 4 songs and not the instrumental BGM pieces. Currently the only place I can hear them is on Youtube.
Old 19th May 2022, 16:50   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Is there any music-streaming/paid option to get the background music of KGF 2? There are some awesome instrumental pieces that I would want to hear ad-free (i.e. other than Youtube). The official tracks of the movie on Amazon Prime Music (/etc.) list only the 4 songs and not the instrumental BGM pieces. Currently the only place I can hear them is on Youtube.
I think Spotify has it, I remember listening to some of the background pieces.
arvind71181 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 10:31   #2511
Distinguished - BHPian

12th Man- Mohanlal-Jeethu Joseph-Malayalam- Hotstar

Decided to catch this as soon as it dropped on Hotstar yesterday night. Expectations on this were obviously very high as it was the first from Jeethu Joseph post Drishyam 2. Main difference here is that he has not written this one and only directed it. Jeethu Joseph's best works are when he has both written and directed a film.

The theme is the usual Jeethu thriller domain. A bunch of supposedly very close friends and their spouses take a trip to a resort to celebrate the upcoming marriage of one of the gang. Certain incidents result in the foundation of friendships being shaken, then a murder happens and it moves into a Whodunit mode.

Mohanlal is present in the resort as a friend of the owner, gets into issues with the gang but as expected he is not what he appears to be.

From the above, it would be clear that this is a template seen quite a lot. Couple of English movies and the famous Agatha Cristy movies come to mind.

So the conclusion. It is a fairly engaging watch. No 'Blow you away' twists and don't expect another Drishyam. Most of the action happens over one night and the movie is long. Even with that, it does keep you engaged.

Has a long star cast and unlike usual Mohanlal movies, the focus is mostly on this gang and most of them do well.

Rating: 3/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th May 2022 at 10:36.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:45   #2512
BHPian

RRR

Rating - 3/5

OTT - Netflix

Wanted to watch tamil version. But since I could only find hindi version, watched it. Dubbing was pretty good and dint feel out of place.

I actually enjoyed it as a full-on Rajmouli movie. As long as I took out the Indian freedom struggle out of equation and imagined the story on a Bahubali level, the movie turned out to be something of a fantasy sort and fairytail-ish.

An evil king and queen abducts a tribal girl. Tarzan of the jungle goes to their kingdom to save the girl from the palace, where she is in imprisoned. During the quest, he comes across the other hero, who is a warrior and a general in the kings army. And he also has a hidden agenda. Throw in all the special effects, CGI animals, some big sets, fight scenes involving crowds and super-strong bahubali kinda heroes, voila, you get a made-in-India Disney movie.
BTW there is also a Jane (Tarzans GF) and Ram-Sita track.

To enjoy the movie, the best way is to forget and forgive all those goof-ups related to pre-independence era and watch it as a total fiction movie similar to some of those hollywood movies that has american independence in its storyline. Maybe Rajmouli dint want to have a movie that looked like Bahubali and instead brought in the freedom struggle thread to give a totally different look and feel to RRR.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 21st May 2022 at 15:49.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 21:36   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
RRR

R
I actually enjoyed it as a full-on Rajmouli movie. As long as I took out the Indian freedom struggle out of equation and imagined the story on a Bahubali level, the movie turned out to be something of a fantasy sort and fairytail-ish.

To enjoy the movie, the best way is to forget and forgive all those goof-ups related to pre-independence era and watch it as a total fiction movie s

FundaG
I also completed the watching of the movie today on Netflix. Agree with these points. If you treat it as pure fiction, its a total paisa-vasool film that surprisingly doesnt drag because of its escapist fare, larger-than-life heros and everyone's favorite villains, the evil Goras who are forever in the "tum sala gulam log" mode. What I realised the reason why a lot of people are digging this underdog/victim-protaganist vs the powerful forces, evident in most mega-"pan India" releases. This is exactly the 70s/80s Bollywood formula with a slight regional tilt. For me, RRR was a weird but utterly workable combination of Manmohan Desai-meets Rohit-Shetty -meets Manoj Kumar, it had the melodrama, the action and the patriotism all mixed in one. In fact, it gave me the vibes of "Kranti" v2.
Bollywood has stopped making potboliers- they are trying to be too politically correct, and being apologetic for being escapist, therefore, too much reality oriented, slice of life type movies. ITs evident from the spate of embarrassing flops from A-grade stars, '83. Runway-34, Jersey, Jayeshbhai Jordar, Heropanti-2.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st May 2022 at 21:40.
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:21   #2514
BHPian

Watched Acharya - skip watched actually. Could not bear sitting through the whole thing. Took me back to horrible memories of Boom, Janasheen and RGV's Aag. 0/5
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:55   #2515
Distinguished - BHPian

Unpopular Opinion. Watched KGF-2 and did not really enjoy it. Of course a grand spectacle, great set pieces and action and full marks to the team for visualizing and executing this. Maybe too dark and violent for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
RRR
Wanted to watch tamil version. But since I could only find hindi version, watched it. Dubbing was pretty good and dint feel out of place.
The Tamil/Telugu/Kannada/Malayalam versions are streaming on Zee5. Not sure of the reasons behind these different OTT platform deals

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd May 2022 at 10:57.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:38   #2516
BHPian

12th Man - Above average

It's no Drishyam, but the movie, despite its monotonous setting, keeps us engaged. It finally reaches a point when the twists and turns starts to get boring and that's when the writer decides to call quits and presents us with a resolution. But honestly, the resolution is neither exciting nor convincing. But that the movie managed to keep us engaged for 2 hours 45 minutes is no mean feat. But the overall package would have been a better one of they had trimmed off the introduction scenes of Mohanlal. I like it when movies quickly get to the point than spend an entire hour in character building.

I am not a fan of Jeethu Joseph movies - and except Drishyam, I haven't really enjoyed any of them - maybe until now. His other thriller hit Memories was too pretentious. His very popular My Boss, is in my opinion, very mediocre. But with Drishyam I applaud him for lifting the basic story from Suspect X and then making something unique with it.

Last edited by dragonfire : 23rd May 2022 at 12:39.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 07:21   #2517
BANNED

What! - Still no posts from Bengalis / Probashi Bengalis? And here I was optimistically hoping that I would finally see something I could watch, something I have missed.

Saw "Lal Bazaar" recently on Zee5 - worth watching certainly. Also "Bhooter Bhabiswat", "Gotro". All worth watching. I understand that these may sound out-dated, but I don't watch OTT channels regularly.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:14   #2518
KPR
BANNED

Watched tamil movie Don. Already a box office hit. My rating 2.5/5. All the 2.5 goes for keeping family and children engaged. Absolutely no logic whatsoever in this masala movie. The lead actor SivaKarthikeyan is going in right direction to be the next Vijay of tamil cinema.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:38   #2519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Unpopular Opinion. Watched KGF-2 and did not really enjoy it. Of course a grand spectacle, great set pieces and action and full marks to the team for visualizing and executing this. Maybe too dark and violent for my taste.
Agreed. I watched the first installment to warm up for the 2nd one. But after watching 2, I felt the first part was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
12th Man - Above average
It's no Drishyam, but the movie, despite its monotonous setting, keeps us engaged...

I am not a fan of Jeethu Joseph movies - and except Drishyam, I haven't really enjoyed any of them - maybe until now. His other thriller hit Memories was too pretentious. His very popular My Boss, is in my opinion, very mediocre. But with Drishyam I applaud him for lifting the basic story from Suspect X and then making something unique with it.
I felt the storyline was alright and the way it evolved was nice. But the first half especially felt extremely amateurish - the dialogues and demeanor of the friends were like they were performing in a school drama. And I feel Jeethu Joseph concentrate too much on the lead actors and the overall drama that he often overlooks the supporting characters; they all behave too artificial.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 14:04   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
they all behave too artificial.
Ah, I didn't touch up on the actors. For me, Mohanlal really disappointed. As somebody said he was acting like he was in a weekend elimination episode of Bigg Boss. What was terrible was his hooligan act that was his introduction. One should watch the first 30 minutes of Ayal Katha Ezhuthukayaanu to understand the depths to which his acting prowess has degraded.

The supporting cast was terrible too. And there was nothing much for them to work with as the dialogues felt very artificial. We saw some shoddy acting (Anu Sithara) and some overacting (Anusree). Anyway Jeethu Joseph movies are generally never about actors and acting, so they can be excused.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks