Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 11:59   #3136
BHPian

Christopher - Malayalam - Prime Videos 1/5

Thriller movie starring Mammootty and Amala Paul in lead roles. Felt bored after half an hour or so into the movie.
+Mammooty looks good, not a challenging role for his caliber,
+BGM for Mammooty
+Vinay Ray's screen presence & performance
+Cinematography & color scheme
+Of course the beautiful Pajero

-A thread which could've been developed better
-Over use of slow motion. I hate today's movies using slow motion for everything. if you remove the slow motion, the movie will loose minimum 30-40 minutes of run time
-Shine Tom Chacko's performance and dialogue delivery.
-Cliche dialogues.

Run Baby Run - Tamil - Hotstar 2/5

Thriller starring Balaji & Aishwarya Rajesh. Started with a great promise and thrills, but lost the focus halfway. Ended at the usual corruption in education system and related crime.
Balaji's performance was ok-ok and Aishwarya didn't had much to perform either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not in minority at all. If fact I think a majority have this opinion. Which is why most of his movies are actually box office failures if you look only at the numbers. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get the hype around LJP movies.

Rating: 2/5
Same here. I liked few of his movies when he was not a larger than life "the director - craftsman". Liked Amen, ee.ma.ou and Angamali diaries.

Absolutely hated Jellikkettu and didn't like churuli that much (though some of the scenes were shot spectacularly). I feel he uses his signature frames and sequences too much in movies.
Also I don't get the so called layers and interpretation from any of his movies, especially Jellikkettu. For me that movie is one of the worst I have seen, may be I am not mentally developed to enjoy it

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2023 at 13:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 13th March 2023, 12:38   #3137
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Same here. I liked few of his movies when he was not a larger than life "the director - craftsman". Liked Amen, ee.ma.ou and Angamali diaries.
I found Angamaly Diaries pretentious. Jallikattu too. Also hated Double Barrel. It was so irritating that I couldn't complete it to figure out what the heck was happening.

And then there is Churuli. The movie was less than enjoyable for me. It is not sufficient that there is a point that one is supposed to derive from a work. There is that 2 hours that you have to endure to reach that point. If that 2 hours is a chore, the movie does not work for me, no matter how interesting the climax is.

M Night Shyamalan's "Sixth Sense" comes into my mind. People like it because of the big reveal at the end. If you take that out, the preceding 2 hours is a bore fest.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2023 at 13:19. Reason: Quoted post merged with the previous one. Thank you!
Old 16th March 2023, 08:06   #3138
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week I picked some disaster movies.

Christopher

The Regional movies thread!-q1ndi._v1_.jpg

Agree with other BHPians. This one was bad. Too much of slow motion sequences, unwanted english dialogues etc. I slept off midway.
Mammootty as always looked .

Rating - 1/5 for (Avoid). Available on Amazon Prime)

Chathuram

The Regional movies thread!-tmwodm5odg._v1_.jpg

The movie starts and ends with lust. Overdose of it. There's nothing new to the storyline and we have seen this before.

Rating - 1/5 (Can be avoided). Available on Saina Play

Bommai Nayagi - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-3mjk1._v1_fmjpg_ux1000_.jpg

This was a decent one. Again, nothing new here. All acted pretty well. A slow drama.

Rating - 3/5 (Watchable). Available on Zee5.

Run Baby Run - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-jkx._v1_.jpg

Considering the previous ones that I watched this week, this one was comparatively better. But Balaji wasn't suited for this role and Aishwarya was wasted in this. Absolutely no role for her.

Rating - 3/5 (Decent watch). Available on Disney Hotstar.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 11:40   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Alone - Horrible movie. And Mohanlal was terrible. I don't know who is reading the scripts for him.
Tried watching Christopher today and couldn't get beyond 30mins. Compared to it Mohanlal's Alone feels like a gem. After well made films like Rorschach and Nanpakal, Mammootty spoils whatever respect he earned by acting in this trash.

Also, I do not understand how Unnikrishnan B gets to make films with Mohanlal and Mammootty. Except Madambi all his movies have bombed at the box office. Even Madambi, despite the success, was a mediocre movie.
Old 17th March 2023, 08:33   #3140
Distinguished - BHPian

Rekha-Malayalam-Netflix

A slow burn romance revenge drama helmed by Vincy Aloysius who has made a name for herself with some great performances.

Lot of online reviews were raving about it as a masterpiece. But not my kind of movie. Very slow and gritty. Those who like these new age , realistic slow malayalam movies will like it. Fabulous performance by Vincy though

Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 09:00   #3141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Rekha-Malayalam-Netflix

A slow burn romance revenge drama helmed by Vincy Aloysius who has made a name for herself with some great performances.

Lot of online reviews were raving about it as a masterpiece. But not my kind of movie. Very slow and gritty. Those who like these new age , realistic slow malayalam movies will like it. Fabulous performance by Vincy though

Watched this yesterday. Her performance was good but what a weird movie and BGM! It reminded me of couple of movies that came some 8-10 years back (Can be a spoiler so not sharing the name). Nothing new here.
Was pretty nice to see an empty Marine Drive, Broadway and Punjab House restaurant
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 14:49   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Vaathi (tamil)

Streaming: Netflix

The story is nothing great, same old education comes at a cost theme and strikingly similar to Super 30. Surprisingly I found Dhanush to be good in the movie, very restrained performance nothing like those garrulous looking gangster type which he usually plays. One time can be watched if you are a Dhanush fan

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 20th March 2023, 16:22   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Vaathi (tamil)

Streaming: Netflix

The story is nothing great, same old education comes at a cost theme and strikingly similar to Super 30. Surprisingly I found Dhanush to be good in the movie, very restrained performance nothing like those garrulous looking gangster type which he usually plays. One time can be watched if you are a Dhanush fan

Rating: 2.5/5
Thought the kids acted well in this movie. Samyuktha looked overly glammed up and Dhanush well he does fit it into these roles with elan.

The villain was horrible and that entire sub plot could have been avoided. But then what will a Tamil movie be without fight scenes!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:56   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Dada Tamil
I liked this movie. Nice romantic movie, no big stars and very well made. No unnecessary twists(too much these days), nice story and well directed. I can probably watch this again.

Christopher Malayalam
Just an average masala entertainer. Time pass movie , Mammootty did a good job though age has started to show up.

Love birds Kannada
Well directed but similar storyline as love mocktail. One time watch.
Old 21st March 2023, 13:05   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
But then what will a Tamil movie be without fight scenes!
Somehow couldnt fit Dhanush in those fight scene looking at his body structure. The action scenes were just put in the film to fill the blanks IMO.

These days a lot many films are being done on the shoddy state of the municipal schools in state and pvt school bashing.
Old 25th March 2023, 11:14   #3146
BHPian

Purusha Pretham/The Male Ghost (Malayalam)

Streaming on SonyLiv

A dark comedy entertainer about police trying to identify a dead body. I loved the movie, it's really good.

The Regional movies thread!-mv5bodaxndrin2mtoddlyy00yzgylwjmnwqtnte2m2rkyje4ntnkxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymjkxnzq1ndi._v1_.jpg
robincsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 14:23   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Walter Verayya (telugu)

Streaming: Amazon Prime

I just hated myself for opting to see this movie. It is simply beyond any logic for an old Chiranjeevi to play the lead role and romance an grand daughter old Shruti Hassan in the movie. Add to that another old Ravi Teja in the confusion and you get a half cooked khichdi without any salt or masala served cold. Looks like the producer did have lots of money to burn by making this movie. Honestly the Mega star and Mass Maharaja should stop acting as leads in any movies and make way for younger actors. Totally avoid. If have to see, keep Amrutanjan besides for fast relief.

Rating: 1/5
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 09:56   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian

Purusha Pretham

The Regional movies thread!-purusha-pretham.jpg

Wasn't really keen on watching this since it had an ordinary cast and few of last movies were horrible. Watched this with no expectation but boy, it was something.

Editing and BGM really stands out. The lead male actors did a really good job while Darshana was just ordinary.

The only drawback was it could have been a bit shorter - maybe by atleast 20 mins. But other than that, this was a really good watch. Something like thinkalazhcha nishchayam (a different genre though).

Rating - 4.5/5 (Must watch). Available on SonyLiv.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:33   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Vedha (Kannada)

Streaming: Zee

I chanced upon seeing the movie while browsing and man this movie blew me off. What a masterpiece, a first kannada movie in recent times which left me totally impressed. Apart from the social message, the movie speaks volume of story, action, cinematography, rustic language and lots more. Even the dances looked so authentic. I found Shivarajkumar in a totally different role, more expressions, less dialogues and that believable type action stunts. Amazing is a small word. Umashree in her role excelled as usual, the protaginst daughter played by Aditi Sagar was beyond words. A must dekho to all, highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

PS: I sincerely hope and pray that no bollywood movie is made from this movie. Let the masterpiece remain one.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:36   #3150
Team-BHP Support

Vaalvi (Marathi) on Zee5

A thriller-comedy based on a couple that decides to commit joint suicide to escape life problems. Not very serious, but quite fun.

4/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks