Old 30th July 2023, 08:57   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Hostel Hudugarru
Language - Kannada
Rating - 0 / 5.

Avoid even on OTT, senseless movie. I am surprised Rakshit Shetty backed this movie.
Interesting!

Everyone and his grandfather around me is hailing this venture as a breath of (at least half) fresh air guaranteed to bring the audience back to the theatres. Would you please explain why you found it so lacking?

Kausalya Supraja Rama is getting some rave ratings. Since a colleague's son is part of the movie, I will be happy to read any reviews from Bhpians.
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_20230730085916621edit_com.whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by dailydriver : 30th July 2023 at 09:01.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 10:52   #3212
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Interesting!

Everyone and his grandfather around me is hailing this venture as a breath of (at least half) fresh air guaranteed to bring the audience back to the theatres. Would you please explain why you found it so lacking?
I had high expectations from this movie, the movie has a stupid storyline, some stupid sequences, they have dragged it on and on, could have easily edited out 1 hour, Ramya scenes are inserted into the movie where ever the director wanted. After a point the movie gets on your nerves, it drags on and on. A few laughs here and there, but as a whole this movie is a big disappointment

I would love to here your point of view once you watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Kausalya Supraja Rama is getting some rave ratings. Since a colleague's son is part of the movie, I will be happy to read any reviews from Bhpians.
Thanks, the trailer looked interesting. Will check out. I also have heard good reviews on Achaar & Co.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 16:06   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Maamannan - Tamizh

But what a riveting performance by Vadivelu, befitting the titular role.
Watched the movie today and everything you mentioned in your post is perfectly summed up. This was a different Vadivelu that I knew, what a transformation from comic acting to some serious ones. First it was Soori in Vidhuthalai and now Vadivelu in this movie. Is it coming of the age for these comic actors now that Yogi Babu has taken over the mantle of lead comedian in Tamil movies?

Spy (Telugu)

Streaming: Amazon prime

Expected a lot from the movie as it had Nikhil Siddharth after the good performances in Karthikeya series but falls short of expectations. There was a humble attempt to make a spy centric movie although with scenes borrowed from Hollywood movies however some unnecessary comic scenes spoil the entire build up without any logical links leaving one watching disconnected from the plot. Makrand Deshpande hamming in a regional movie is a new one for me. All in all if one needs to get a good sleep watch this movie. The only saving grace is some of the locales where the movie was shot.

Rating: 1.5/5

Last edited by ghodlur : 30th July 2023 at 16:14.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 15:49   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Watched the movie today and everything you mentioned in your post is perfectly summed up. This was a different Vadivelu that I knew, what a transformation from comic acting to some serious ones. First it was Soori in Vidhuthalai and now Vadivelu in this movie. Is it coming of the age for these comic actors now that Yogi Babu has taken over the mantle of lead comedian in Tamil movies?
Absolutely agree. I have watched very few Tamil movies, Mudhalvan one among them. The goofy cameraman is a memory destroyed now. Man what a performance. This and Prithviraj in Jana Gana Mana is refreshing. It seems this was waiting for him (or rather he waiting for someone to extract this from him). I watch Kannada regularly and am impressed with how Rangayana Raghu was used in Cyanide and wish the same can be done for Sadhukokila/chikkanna too rather than some silly face roles. Udhay too for once does not look like a star kid acting.
Fahadh does not act. He LIVES every role, period. Let it be serious roles like Joji or Malik, or potboilers like this and Vikram, or the real life roles like the laptop mechanic one. Am a lifelong fan.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 2nd August 2023 at 15:52.
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:26   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Absolutely agree. I have watched very few Tamil movies, Mudhalvan one among them. The goofy cameraman is a memory destroyed now.
It took over 3 decades to find out who Vadivelu really is. Sometimes i feel his story is similar to Indrans. A comedian at heart, he really let it out in Aalorukkam and there has been no stopping him. What i would like to see is people like these guys play different roles. Remember the eternal comedian Nagesh turning super villain in Apoorva Sagotharargal. Good times for vernacular movies.
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:23   #3216
Distinguished - BHPian

Good comedy is the hardest to do. Doing it consistently over a long period is even more harder. So any comedian who is able to do it is likely a great actor who can pull off non comedy roles much better than others.

The challenge for these actors is that since they are so good with comedy, breaking away from that typecast is very hard and even though the industry knows how good they are, most hesitate to give that opportunity due to other factors involved. But when they get that opportunity, they really grab it with both hands.

I am familiar more with the Malayalam and Tamil industries. In Malayalam the line was more fluid as many of the greats move around genres earlier in their career itself. Key examples were Jagathy and Innocent just to name a couple.

Two people who were discovered late were Suraaj and Indrans. No one expected that they would do serious roles so well.

In Tamil, Vadivelu in mammannan is a relevation and I am not surprised. We have also had Yogi Babu, Soori recently and earlier Vivek stepping into serious roles very well.
Old 7th August 2023, 10:27   #3217
Distinguished - BHPian

Shamelessly putting this out - after decades of delaying on this, I finally gave Iruvar a watch this year. And what a fabulous movie it is - no wonder Mani Ratnam considers it his best movie till date. Mohanlal does such a fantastic job in this movie. Googling over the movie after watching it, I found out that Mammootty was initialy offered the role of Tamizhselvan (played by Prakash Raj) which he has regretted ever since for declining it. Not saying Prakash Raj wasn't good (he was brilliant!), but I wonder what a movie it would have been if Mammootty had accepted the role back then.

I found it quite ironical that Aishwarya Rai did a okayish job in this movie; but became so robot-like in Jeans (& Aur Pyar Ho Gaya) which were her next two movies. I guess she's got Mani Ratnam to thank her for this. But I really wonder how she got the main heroine role over Revathi, Gautami and Madhoo.

Now I need to get myself to watch through the other gem in my watch-list - Anbe Sivam over the coming weekend.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th August 2023 at 10:31.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:36   #3218
BHPian

Watched Tamil movie "Good Night", a nice feel good movie highlighting relationship/chemistry between a couple. Light hearted, Clean Comedy, Light romance. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it on a late Sunday evening. Hero(Manikandan) & heroine(Meetha) acting is to-the-point. No over acting OR below par performance.

Rating: 4/5
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 14:25   #3219
BHPian

Watched Thalaivar Movie Jailer FDFS (First Day First Show) at 8 AM.

Well, the King is back and how!

Absolute crazy mass movie moments with Thalaivar shining throughout. Anirudh has taken the BGM to another level with many goosebumps moments throughout the movie. Special appearances by Lalettan and Shiva Anna will set the theatres on Fire in Kerala and Karnataka. Vinayakan as the Villain will be noticed by all the industries now and will open up huge opportunities for him.

Special mention to whoever did the make-up for Thalaivar. He has not looked this good and stylish in any movie in the past decade or two.

This is a Thalaivar movie for his fans and they are going to lap it up like anything. I would suggest his non-fans also to give it a try. Among lots of crap movies that keep churning from every industry, I can guarantee you this will at least be a paisa vasool Masala entertainer.
RaghuVis is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 15:06   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I found it quite ironical that Aishwarya Rai did a okayish job in this movie; but became so robot-like in Jeans (& Aur Pyar Ho Gaya) which were her next two movies.
Her role in Jeans was just doll like. She was a mere novelty in the film as the first Miss World from India, the halo hadn't worn off then. But still, if you watch closely in the "Kannodu" song, she would have cleverly differentiated between her original and the "motion capture" double of Raju Sundaram in body language, apart from just wearing spectacles and a different color dress!

Anbe Sivam was a class act. If you are watching pre 2000 films, may I suggest Nayakan, Michael Madana kamarajan and Silent Movie (Pesum Padam) too. Apoorva Sagodarargal also was top drawer stuff.
Old 10th August 2023, 15:23   #3221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Anbe Sivam was a class act. If you are watching pre 2000 films, may I suggest Nayakan, Michael Madana kamarajan and Silent Movie (Pesum Padam) too. Apoorva Sagodarargal also was top drawer stuff.
Thanks - all of them (and many others - Guna for e.g.) were done in movie halls (when they were launched) and repeated numerous times over time. It was only Iruvar & Anbe Sivam & Hey Ram (which I watched later) that got missed out; think my parents dissuaded me given the strong themes when they came out and it stuck on. But I'm sure there are many more if I start digging over those years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Watched Thalaivar Movie Jailer FDFS (First Day First Show) at 8 AM.
Definitely sure that's not the first show for sure But kudos to make time to see the movie so early on.

Apart from the masala thriller, how's the movie compared to his recent duds? Planning to go over the weekend.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th August 2023 at 15:28.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 15:50   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
I found it quite ironical that Aishwarya Rai did a okayish job in this movie; but became so robot-like in Jeans (& Aur Pyar Ho Gaya) which were her next two movies. I guess she's got Mani Ratnam to thank her for this. But I really wonder how she got the main heroine role over Revathi, Gautami and Madhoo.

Now I need to get myself to watch through the other gem in my watch-list - Anbe Sivam over the coming weekend.
Interesting that 2 of the most acclaimed directors of recent times - Mani Ratnam and Rituparno Ghosh both are/were quite happy with Aishwarya Rai in key roles. Maybe she is good in giving good directors what they want?
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 16:13   #3223
BHPian

Quote:

Definitely sure that's not the first show for sure But kudos to make time to see the movie so early on.

Apart from the masala thriller, how's the movie compared to his recent duds? Planning to go over the weekend.
Well, this was the first show in the mall near my home and moreover, I don't think there can be a show before 8 AM for a Tamil movie in Maharashtra

Well, I feel the last good movie Thalaivar gave was Shivaji way back in 2007 (If you exclude the 2 robot movies). So in that sense, this movie is much better than any of those -- Be it Kabali, Kaala, Darbar, Linga, or Petta (this I felt was not bad if not gr8). Even for an average Thalaivar fan, this one is a feast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Interesting that 2 of the most acclaimed directors of recent times - Mani Ratnam and Rituparno Ghosh both are/were quite happy with Aishwarya Rai in key roles. Maybe she is good in giving good directors what they want?
Well Many directors, actors and other technicians have always said this about Ash that she is completely a director's Actor. With good she shines and with bad she is crap!

Last edited by RaghuVis : 10th August 2023 at 16:14. Reason: One more post quoted
RaghuVis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 16:39   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was only Iruvar & Anbe Sivam & Hey Ram
I understand the other 2. But why Anbe Sivam?

Iruvar was entirely a Lalettan-Prakashraj fare. There wasn't much for anybody else.

Quote:
Shows in Madras are starting only 8-9 am on first day. There are 6am shows tomorrow, but not today.

Quote:
Will go on par with Petta. This is no thriller, its a predicatable masala movie. There is more than enough to cheer for a fan.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 19:05   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - all of them (and many others - Guna for e.g.) were done in movie halls (when they were launched) and repeated numerous times over time. It was only Iruvar & Anbe Sivam & Hey Ram (which I watched later) that got missed out; think my parents dissuaded me given the strong themes when they came out and it stuck on. But I'm sure there are many more if I start digging over those years.
I am going on a limb here and assuming you are talking about Mani Ratnam movies. My favs have been his older hits

Mouna Ragam - Absolute gem of a movie and what a brilliant storyline it had. Truly ahead of its time

Nayagan - Maybe the turning point for Kamal as far as expressing grief openly.

Agni Natchathram - Another brilliant movie, am assuming he played around with the lighting. It was one of those movies which were done with a different lightning

Other pictures you should probably watch as well

Thalapathy
Thiruda Thiruda
Bombay
Dum Dum Dum
Kannathil Muthamittal - amazing movie - one of those tear jerkers in a good way
Yuva
Guru

Boy i can go on with his movies !
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com