Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 23:54   #3241
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Regional movies thread!

Jailer - All out mass entertainer of typical vintage Super star movie. Apart from him, no scope for anyone else except for Vinayakan and Anirudh BGM.

Movie house is packed on the weekday afternoon show at Inox in a Chennai outskirts mall. And the audience is mostly family crowd with many senior citizens and women. Theater roared equally for Mohan Lal and Sivaraj Kumar cameos who set the screen on fire in the climax.

On the downside, its not for kids as too much blood and gory. Also, editing could have been slick. A bit force fitted things like Ft Dhee song to have something for everyone. People like Thalaivar for no reason and if you are one of them, you will enjoy the film.

Unrelated, I generally think after Sivaji the boss movie, Rajini films are mostly attempts to make money or push a subtle agenda using his fame more than for him or fans except probably for Petta. And finally Sun pictures succeeded in it in a massive scale.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 21:37   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I generally think after Sivaji the boss movie, Rajini films are mostly attempts to make money or push a subtle agenda using his fame more than for him or fans except probably for Petta. And finally Sun pictures succeeded in it in a massive scale.
As a fan, I would go as far back as Padayappa. Endhiran worked partly for its novel concept. Apart from that, its only Petta and Jailer.

Quote:
On the downside, its not for kids as too much blood and gory.
The movie is rightly rated U/A for the violence.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 10:14   #3243
Distinguished - BHPian

Jailer

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20230816-9.50.47-am.png

One word - ENTERTAINING!

I enjoy watching everyone on screen and not a die-hard fan of any particular actor. But this man's on screen presence is something else. Also, Vinakayan nailed it.

Coming to the movie, I found it pretty ordinary - nothing that's too boring or too exciting (except for some introduction scenes). The BGM was really good but found it very repetitive unlike "Vikram". Some characters were really unnecessary (not disclosing as it might affect the viewing experience for others). Climax was sort of expected but it was top notch. Shout out to the makeup artist as well, especially the younger version of Rajinikanth.

Don't know if I would have enjoyed this on OTT so this is highly a theater watch recommendation. I enjoyed "Vikram" more than this though.

Rating - 3.5/5

Chakravyuham: The Trap - Telugu

The Regional movies thread!-ch_.jpg

Storyline was interesting and started off well. But my god, the acting was super bad especially the lead female actor. I could have done acted better than her. Also, the BGM was super, super bad. Sounded very cartoonish. Would give 1 star for the lead cop's acting.

Can skip - I recommend this.

Rating - 1/5 (Available on Amazon Prime)

Kolla (Robbery) - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-ko_.jpg

Pretty decent movie with okish ending. Rajisha was good as always but Priya Warrier was artificial (always felt her acting to be bad) and Shaan Rahman can stick to music direction. He was like an English speaking robot.

One time watch.

Rating - 3/5 (Available on Manorama MAX)

Por Thozhil - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-po_.jpg

Was eagerly waiting for this as it did really well in theaters, changed the OTT release date couple of times etc. But I was slightly disappointed. It was never boring but the hype it created spoiled my expectations. Sarath Kumar and Ashok acted really well in this. "Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru" still remains one of my top tamil favourite from this genre.

Highly recommended.

Rating - 4/5 (Available on Sony Liv)

Maaveeran - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-ma.jpeg

This was a decent film with good performances by all especially Saritha. Mysskin's acting can definitely be debated. Yogi Babu was good as always but expected a bit more screen presence. The story is predictable though.

Recommended - One time watch.

Rating - 3/5 (Available on Amazon Prime)
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 10:39   #3244
Distinguished - BHPian

Started watching Maveeran because I had nothing else to see and unexpectedly quite enjoyed it. Fairly predictable, but the core theme was unique.

Rating: 3/5

Liked Padmini also. Nice light watch with some good performances and comedies. 3.5/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 18:58   #3245
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Por Tholil (Tamil) - 4/5

Watched on Sony liv. Nice slick thriller. Initially felt it will be like Myskkin movies but debut director Vignesh Raja differentiated himself without the cut - edit story telling of Myskkin. Hope this hit movie gets more opportunities for Ashok Selvan who is coming up well. Sarath Kumar fits perfectly for the character and played his part well.

I think this is the last movie of Sarath Babu who has played many memorable roles in the past especially with Rajanikanth in Tamil. RIP.

Charles enterprises (Malayalam) - 4/5

Available in Amazon prime. A simple story line with 'Pillayar' at the centre. Enjoyed the natural slow pace of the movie. I could only recognize Urvasi who typically masters these type of roles and Kalaiarasan also gets natural in his role. Can be enjoyed with the family including kids.
Old 16th August 2023, 19:37   #3246
BHPian

Jailer
Thalaivar rocks big time. Watched Jailer yesterday and man was it a treat after two duds. What a way to comeback for Rajini. Again he has proven that he is the real "SuperStar" and others have a long way to go.

Vinayagan as the villain is really terrifying ad fits in perfectly. The only minus in my view was Yogi Babu's so called comedy - which was a bit irritating. The cameos by Shivrajkumar and Mohanlal were too good and the audience gave a big roar when both appeared on screen.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2023 at 19:44. Reason: Removing potential spoiler.
Old 20th August 2023, 18:21   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Maaveran

Streaming: Amazon

A unique story with a present day situation but with not so good acting. Siva karthikeyan could have done a fantastic job but gave a mediocre performance. Yogi Babu was left to the usual mis comic timings. Sunil has become stale in his serious antagonist roles, he should move back to comedy which was his forte. All in all one time watch only for SK fans.

Rating: 2.5/5

Por Thozil

Streaming: Sony Liv

I really like the whodun it movies in regional languages, far ahead on their english counterparts. This movie stands out amongst them, the plot was different, the acting was superb esp by Sharat Kumar, even Mohan Babu did his part well. Newbie Ashok Selvan shone as a spark. Recommending to surely watch the movie.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 18:46   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Rajinikanth Movie ‘JAILER’s’ box office success is unstoppable!

The Regional movies thread!-20230820_184445.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th August 2023 at 18:47.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 23:24   #3249
Distinguished - BHPian

Aachar and Co. (Kannada)
Finally could manage to watch this today in a movie hall. Set in the 1960s and 1970s Bengaluru, this lovely movie shows how a girl whose only ambition in life was to get married and go abroad turns into an entrepreneur. A strong women empowerment message given in a comical yet mature way. What made this message even stronger is the almost all-women crew of the movie.
The movie setting oozes nostalgia and takes us back to that era. We get to see so many things from that time including vehicles like Green Ambassador, Red&White API Lambretta and the Black Kinetic Luna TFR. Although I'd have loved it if they had shot in Bengaluru itself than shooting in famous places of Mysuru and calling it as Bengaluru, I was not complaining since I got to see My-suru. The Uppinakayi song is one of the best songs of recent times in Indian cinema (I've listened to that song more than once almost everyday since it's release). So is the suprabatha Song. Just awesome music.
I'd anyday prefer to pay for these kind of no-big-names good movies than pointless superstar movies.

A nice light hearted family entertainer that'll probably run for just a few more days in theaters before it comes on Amazon Prime.

I'd rate 4.5/5
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:23   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Aachar and Co. (Kannada)
A nice light hearted family entertainer that'll probably run for just a few more days in theaters before it comes on Amazon Prime.
I'd rate 4.5/5
I saw that it was already on Amazon Prime and watched it last night. Like you said, brought back some very good memories of the good old days of the original calm, serene and relaxed BengaLuru.

The movie is an easy going one - no sense of urgency or a build up to some climax, or good guys vs bad guys etc. A mellifluous relaxed theme purely focused on one big family with its ups and downs of that era. I felt the last 20 mins felt rushed (compared to the overall scheme of things) - while the first half of the movie took its own sweet time to pace itself and its characters.

Recommended as a one time watch on an easy going weekend with some kodubaLe, nippatu, chakkali and kobbari miThayi or Mysore pak to add to the nostalgia. Dont forget the filter kaapi too!

Rating it a 3 out of 5.

Last edited by vsathyap : 26th August 2023 at 16:28.
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 17:38   #3251
BHPian

One of the best Marathi films in recent times. This has surely created and still creating history, in India and abroad. A true blockbuster!

A total family watch, it is a story of 6 sisters and their equations. Many emotional moments throughout; especially my mother who is the eldest of 4 sisters, was superbly touched. Their group booked an entire show at a local PVR for family and friends.

Recommended.

5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-361329638_10164259558511959_8447608479238298531_n.jpg  

IamNikhil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 17:07   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Achar & Co (Kannada)

Streaming: Amazon

A breezy light hearted movie with no big names dealing with situation in 1960s. The dress sense, the dialogues and pure kannada language was a treat to watch. The music is good on ears, a typical retro one. There is a Lambretta scooter used in the movie which looks so good. Worth watching the movie.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 09:24   #3253
Distinguished - BHPian

Aayirathonnu Nunakal - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-a1.jpg

The premise looked like some mystery/thriller but turned out to be a family drama which wasn't bad. Everyone looked new to the screen (except for 1-2) and all acted pretty well. Runtime was short which made it good.

Rating - 4/5 (Recommended). Available on SonyLiv.

Kolai - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-a2_.jpg

Not a huge fan of Vijay Antony's movies, but watched it since it was a crime thriller. His acting was pretty decent but loved the cinematography, editing, BGM and the set. Since it had that classic style of movie making, it felt really slow for a crime thriller and Ritika and Radhika Sarathkumar were not suited for this role. I would saw the technical crew saved this movie and made it watchable. Watch it for it's art direction.

Rating - 3/5 (One time watch. Would regret if you miss also). Available on Amazon Prime.

Neymar - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-a3.jpg

Although it turned out to be a hit, I found the movie to be a bit bland. The first half was pretty interesting and fun but the second half was the total opposite. It looked like two different movies. The actors did a good job and the dog was really good. Appreciate the training it received.

Rating - 2.5/5 (One time watch). Available on Disney Hotstar.

Erumbu - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-a4.jpg

Family emotional drama which shows the sibling relationship. The kids acted really well supported by comedian. Pretty straight forward and no surprises.

Rating - 3/5 (One time watch). Available on Amazon Prime.

Madhura Manohara Moham - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-a5.jpg

This was a decent film with good comedy thrown in between. Actors acted pretty well but Saiju felt a bit artificial in his last couple of movies.

Rating - 3.5/5 (Recommended - One time watch). Available on HR OTT.

Kurukkan - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-a6.jpg

Not to everyone's taste, but I kind of enjoyed it (enjoyed as in it didn't drag and runtime was spot on). Vineeth's acting can be polarising at times and Sreenivasan did his role pretty well.

Rating - 3/5 (One time watch). Available on Manorama Max.

Padmini - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-a7.jpg

Really enjoyed this one. A really good one from Kunchacko after "Nna Thaan Case Kodu".

Rating - 4/5 (Highly Recommended). Available on Netflix.

Amala - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20230902-9.23.53-am.png

This was a disaster. Everyone acted really poorly. Srikanth selects some of the worst Malayalam movies. I saw the movie at X8 speed and could take it at that speed as well after which I stopped.

Rating - 0/5. Available on Amazon Prime.
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:33   #3254
Team-BHP Support

RDX – Malayalam – 4/5
The winner from the Onam releases in Kerala, and I felt the post-release fanfare is well-deserved. Like Thallumala, RDX is a start-to-end fight-fest but unlike the former, the story goes in a more linear way, and emotional elements are weaved in pretty well. And the casting was spot on. I never liked Antony Varghese in his previous movies, but here he was like a perfect fit. Shane Nigam also had something different from the roles he normally play.

Padmini – Malayalam – 3/5
Usual feel-good family movie which is almost like a standard template for Kunchacko Boban. Sajin Cherukayil and Althaf Salim were really good, Aparna Balamulari had something different compared to her recent brooding roles. but Vincy Aloshious in her over-the-top act looked extremely theatrical.

Nalla Nilavulla Rathri – Malayalam – 0/5
Best avoided; apparently the first slasher movie in Malayalam, but an absolute bad attempt at it.

Madhura Manohara Moham – Malayalam – 4/5
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Can see why this was one of the rare ones that did well at box-office this year.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 10:20   #3255
rbp
BHPian

The Regional movies thread!-mv5bmdg0njuymzytzgm2zi00ndexltg2mjutymyzntm2nwe1njczxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymta1nzezotu1._v1_.jpg

Movie :- Sapta Sagaradaache Yello - Side A
Language :- Kannada
Genre :- Love, Intense emotions, separation
My Rating - 4/5

If you have had a separation from someone you loved in the past, this movie is not to be missed.

The director Hemanth Rao had shared the below quote a few months back, the movie is kinda taking that route, waiting for Side B.

The Regional movies thread!-whatsapp-image-20230902-10.55.31-pm.jpeg

Visual poetry, exceptional chemistry between Rakshit and Rukmini, the men will root for Rakshit and ladies for Rukmini, you will involve yourself with the lead characters. Background music by Charanraj is the highlight of the movie along with Gurumurthy the DOP of the movie. Hemanth Rao the director of the movie has used a lot of metaphors to convey the state of mind of each character. The director gradually builds up the pace and hits a crescendo by the end. I got so involved that by second half I was getting restless, what happens next

Rukmini Vasanth is an absolute delight to watch, Rakshit shows the vulnerability required by the character.

Can't wait for Side B, releasing on October 20th.

There is no comedy track in the movie, no heroism nothing, the events are what happen in daily life.

I am happy the Kannada movie industry is making such movies.

Note - Some might feel the movie is slow, have some patience, even I too felt the same, but the movie and the characters kept lingering in my mind even after it ended, the pace works fine in hindsight.

The movie has English subtitles, do watch for the intensity.

Last edited by rbp : 3rd September 2023 at 10:46.
rbp is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks