Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:20   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In addition Mammootty is majestic in the CM role in a way only he can pull off. Hence I liked it. Was a little disjointed and dragging, but still ok. 3.5/5
Absolutely agree. Finally we managed to watch this one on yesterday after being there in the watchlist ever since it came up on Netflix.

The role of the Chief Minister couldn't have been performed any better other than Mammootty and he did that with charm I must say. No powerful punchlines, no show of strength. He managed to pull it with his usual charisma and humbleness all the way. Something that we hardly get to see in a movie where its a mass cinema and they want to show someone as powerful as the CM.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:34   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of weekend watches:

Wolf- Malayalam-Zee5- Arjun Ashokan and Samyuktha Menon- A small movie that released recently. Another one of those 3 character movies. Guy makes a surprise visit to his fiance's house, fiance is not comfortable and wants him to leave soon(but seems way too uncomfortable). The PM announces the lockdown from midnight. He tries to leave, police outpost right outside don't allow him. So they get stuck with each other, and their real traits and behaviors start coming out. Then there is a twist. The build up is pretty good but then gets completely derailed towards the last part. Rating: 2/5

Sulthan- Tamil-Hotstar-Karthi-Rashmika Mandanna: A typical mass entertainer with a important difference of attempting to humanize the 'goonda gang' who exist in movies only to get beaten up by the hero. Here the hero is part of the 'goonda' family and he wants to reform them. Then of course, other villain's turn up and the hero has to solve all the problems. Karthi is great as usual. Good timepass watch. Rating: 3/5

There is also a Malayalam Comedy Web Series that has become a rage in the last couple of years called: Karikku . Link. Good time pass escapism during these hard times. Comes with subtitles.

They recently did a promotion/marketing spoof for the Fahad movie- 'Irul' along with Netflix. That turned out to be more popular than the movie itself:

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 3rd May 2021 at 11:39.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:12   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Watched 2 Telugu movies.

Jathi Rathalu - Prime Video
Not impressed about the story or the comedy. Can be watched if you have time to pass.
Agree Jathi Ratnalu was boring. I did skip a lot. Editing also has been poor and dialogues lacks punch. Best thing about movie is liked acting of Murli. I feel he is one of the most underrated actors in Indian Cinema.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:16   #1849
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do not watch it, would be my humble request
Completely agree. Whatever I spent to watch went down the drain.
Old 4th May 2021, 17:05   #1850
Senior - BHPian

One: I felt that this film is like old wine in new bottle. The film is just like a collection of few incidents with no interesting single thread. I expected something more from a Bobby-Sanjay script. One comparison I can make is with the Nivin Pauly movie "Action Hero Biju" which was similarly a collection of events from a policeman's life. But many of the events individually were interesting, something which cannot be said for One.

I felt that the pace was also slow. The amount of time spend in an elaborate introduction sequence for the CM's character is unbelievable. The makers have also generously used slow motion walks of the CM to waste even more time. Even the theme song in my opinion lacks the energy required for a mass movie.

I would still rate this higher than Irul and Priest. A watchable movie, even if only for Mammootty. And Joju who has risen from playing bit parts in Mammootty movies to playing Mammooty's peer.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:39   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Sulthan
Good Commercial flick and Karthi does a good job. If you are in mood to watch a masala flick check this out. Keeps you engaged and has good storyline. Villain character could have been a bit more stronger.

Great Indian Kitchen
Again good movie with powerful realistic acting. Even minute details have been captured very well. This would have been the case in majority of the families in India about 30-40 years ago or with older generation, but think isn't the case now.
Old 7th May 2021, 12:45   #1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
One: And Joju who has risen from playing bit parts in Mammootty movies to playing Mammooty's peer.
It is heartening to see people like Joju rise up in the industry. He's been in the industry for 20+ years doing blink and miss roles for most of that tenure. In fact, Joju recounted an incident on a movie set when Mammootty noticed him and commented why he hasn't landed a proper role even after being in movies for so long.
Old 7th May 2021, 13:03   #1853
KPR
BANNED

Jathi Rathnalu was boring. As someone said it may be enjoyed by local dialect people.

Once again watched Ayyapanum Koshyum. Felt like watching it for first time.

Repeated Mehandi Circus tamil film in Netflix. That's a great film to watch. Switch your AC on and enjoy scenic Kodaikanal shown in that movie. Summer and no hill travel will not be felt for 2.5 hrs atleast.

Last edited by KPR : 7th May 2021 at 13:06.
Old 9th May 2021, 05:24   #1854
BHPian

Jathi Rathnalu 0.5/5 stars
Every print & YouTube reviewer was raving about this. Watched it and could not get into the flow of the "comedy" or the punch dialogues etc. Fast forwarded most of the scenes since it was getting irritating at times.
Best to avoid even if you have really nothing to do.

Uppena on AHA. 4/5 stars
This is a good romantic movies. The ending is a surprise.
The heroine - Krithi Shetty - does full justice to her role - Bebamma.
One grouse - having watched Vijay Sethupathi movies in Tamil with his raspy dialogue delivery in Tamil movies, it was disappointing to watch someone else dub for him in this movie. Had VS dubbed for the movie, this movie would have been next level. The hero is alright.
If you love the sea, you will enjoy the wide shots of the Bay of Bengal.

Vakeel Saab on Prime. 4.5/5 stars (for the mass performance by Pawan Kalyan)
This is a masala movie with hero glorification to the hilt, having fair amount of punch dialogues and massy scenes. Power Star Pawan Kalyan does a fantastic job.
Great action, great BGM and an excellent remake of the Hindi original and the Ajith remade Tamil movie.
Old 9th May 2021, 11:52   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Any kannada movie aficionados here?
Planning to watch "Yuvarathnaa" from Amazon prime.
The Paatashala song is good - other than that nothing much to watch for.
But you could just watch the song on Youtube here:
URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
Please don't, its worst, Robert is still tolerable. Watch the latest Without Remorse, and if you are a Tamil movie buff, watch Sulthan
I agree - Roberrt was a better watch as compared to Yuvarathna. Maybe my expectations from Darshan was less as compared to Puneeth as well

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 9th May 2021 at 11:54.
Old 9th May 2021, 13:16   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Great Indian Kitchen
This would have been the case in majority of the families in India about 30-40 years ago or with older generation, but think isn't the case now.
Are you sure? At least in my case, the majority of the household chores were done by my better half. After this movie, for few weeks I was doing my equal share. But now it is back to say 30% , a lot better than before.
Old 9th May 2021, 13:23   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Are you sure? At least in my case, the majority of the household chores were done by my better half. After this movie, for few weeks I was doing my equal share. But now it is back to say 30% , a lot better than before.
Doing chores is small part but the bigger part that is portrayed in the film - The belief system and adaptability, even educated older folks are highly adaptable in current times. Washing clothes by hand, using mixie, eating previous day food, women locked up during periods, all belong to bygone era. Yes there will be exceptions and probably that's what the film wanted to portray.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 22:50   #1858
Distinguished - BHPian

Photo Prem
Marathi movie on Amazon Prime

Watched this beautiful 90 minute Marathi movie basically because I only had around 2 hours of free time. Starting from the title, the movie so well made that I just loved it. The title Photo Prem can be read as an heavy Indian accent of Photo Frame and/or can be translated to English as "Love for Photo".

It's a story of a Camera-Shy lady getting a picture of herself clicked to be framed after her time. A humorous movie with no overacting is rare these days and this is one such gem. And to top it off, it also has an interwoven message that leaves us brooding over it.

Neena Kulkarni has enacted the role flawlessly! Throughout the movie, you'll have a smile on your face. At the end, just when I kind of sensed a deep message coming out and I thought the movie will end with a serious note, it's treated with the perfect Comical end it deserved. The Director duo of Aditya Rathi and Gayatri Patil have done an exceptional job I must say.

Although it's a 2021 movie, scenes show that shooting has been done even before the famous demonetisation happened. I'd recommend watching it with all family members and enjoying it.

I'd rate it 4.5/5
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 08:50   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Nayattu -Malayalam (Netflix)

The Regional movies thread!-nayattu.jpg

I had seen the trailer for this one prior to release, and was looking forward to it. It surely does not disappoint!

The best part of this movie is how realistic it is. The story as portrayed in this movie can easily be an event in any town/society, and the manner in which situations escalate felt so real, it had us hooked. Kunchako was his usual understated self, while Joju was quite endearing. Nimisha did her role as she does, evoking a comment from my wife on how there aren’t many other actresses around at the moment who can be so simple, and so real!

I highly recommend this one for its edge of the seat feeling, yet making us feel this could happen to anyone involved.
4/5 from me.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 09:12   #1860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Nayattu -Malayalam (Netflix)

I had seen the trailer for this one prior to release, and was looking forward to it. It surely does not disappoint!
4/5 from me.
A very well-made movie indeed, and brilliant acting by the entire cast. Some of the lines were really thought-provoking. As expected, there were some mixed opinions on the topic touched, but I feel some of the new movies coming out (including this) are hitting on the right note.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks