Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 13:01   #1906
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I watched Nayattu, AK Ayyappanum Koshium and Mumbai Police, and all of them were brilliant.

I watched one more yesterday, forgetting the name now, its about a a Dr who was tortured by his father as a child, uses another child and the abducted twin daughter of a IPS police officer as the face of the crimes that he does.
Was not as good as the top 3 that I mentioned but it is a welcome from the normal Bollywood crap that we are so accustomed too!
That is Forensic - nowhere near to the other movies you mentioned.
You can try Joji, Lucifer, Ishq, Unda etc. on Amazon Prime
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:55   #1907
BHPian

Yes! Forensic! I am watching "Operation Java" quite nice. Surely will watch the below movies tomorrow.

I'm hooked to this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That is Forensic - nowhere near to the other movies you mentioned.
You can try Joji, Lucifer, Ishq, Unda etc. on Amazon Prime
Old 21st May 2021, 11:27   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohan Kumar Fans-Malayalam-Amazon Prime- Kunchako, Siddique

A simple story about a yester year film star who finally makes a comeback after 30 years in a very good role. All his well wishers are happy for him and are hoping he would get recognized at the state or national level. a large cast and several other sub plots around, but that is about the gist of the story. The director-Jis Joy has made similar movies like Sunday Holiday and Vijay Superum Pournamiyum. If you like that brand of simple glossy movies where everyone is nice, you will like it.

I liked it because for a change was relieved to see a new Malayalam movie where there are no psycho's, no one dies or gets murdered, no villians, no fights and no ghosts. Rating: 3/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st May 2021 at 11:31.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 12:07   #1909
Team-BHP Support

Aarkkariyam (Neestream, Malayalam) – 2.5/5.0

I had some high expectations on this, especially after seeing some of the reviews and media hype but ended up as an average experience.
Biju Menon managed the body language of a 70 year old, but the acting felt amateurish at many places (as a reference, nowhere close to Suraj in Android Kunjappan). Parvathy as usual was Parvathy; In most of her movies I see her and not the character. Sharafudeen also was struggling quite a bit, especially the English lines thrown in between felt very awkward. I felt the best performance was by the actor who did the role of the caretaker (Bhasi?).

For me, Joji and C U Soon still stand out as the best two lockdown movies in Malayalam.
Old 21st May 2021, 21:26   #1910
BHPian

Mohan Kumar Fans - Amazon Prime

A simple and humble movie. Something inline with the old Srinivasan classics. No dramatics and stuff.. A relaxed watch with some good comedy here and there. Woudnt mind watching a second time.

My rating - 3.5/5
fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 23:37   #1911
BHPian

Kala - Malayalam - Amazon Prime.

I loved the movie for the simple storyline, adaptation of a real-life incident and for the lead characters - Tovino and Sumesh. Majority of the movie is the conflict between the lead characters, though the lengthy action-sequence can be irritating sometimes.

Not suitable for a family watch.

Edit: Sumesh is an awesome find

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 22nd May 2021 at 23:40.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 00:11   #1912
BHPian

Arishadvarga (Kannada) on Amazon Prime

Watched this nice Kannada movie on Prime. A refreshing one after a long time. Except Avinash and Sudha Belawadi, not many of them are well known actors. A neo noir crime thriller has a O'Henry story sort of an ending. Will there be a sequel? Excellent photography, music and pace of the movie makes it worth watching. Anju Alva Naik, in her debut movie, has given excellent performance. Nanda Gopal, as police inspector, has also done well.

Film has got positive reviews in quite a few film festivals.

Post watching the movie, searched for the meaning of Arishadvarga

From Wikipedia

Quote:
In Hindu theology, Arishadvarga or Shadripu/Shada Ripu (Sanskrit: षड्रिपु; meaning the six enemies) are the six enemies of the mind, which are: kama (lust), krodha (anger), lobha (greed), Mada (arrogance), moha (delusion), and 'matsarya (jealousy); the negative characteristics of which prevent man from attaining moksha.
Rating : 4/5
AltoLXI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:44   #1913
BHPian

Photo Prem (Marathi) AP 2/5

A simple one-two lines of story stretched for an entire movie. Watched it as the lead actor is one of the best in Marathi Cinema - Neena Kulkarni. To be honest she has put up a commendable performance especially her facial expressions and monologues.

Photo-Prem is a funny, quintessential take on what we leave behind for memories or legacy, but is unfortunately quick to lose potential with half-baked writing and even a slower pace. The writing is patchy, with incidents such as an acquaintance repeatedly accosting Sunanda on the street with questions, and her own daily conversations with her house-maid are at best silly.
If the writers had fancied that these would produce laughs, they could not have been wide off the mark.

May be watch it with your parents who are above 60 as a movie made in the 1980's. They will enjoy the silly jokes and events (probably) Gen Y & Z can very well avoid.

There is one dialogue which was the take away from the movie- 'Mana ni hasla tar manus chaan hasta' (sort of) which translates as 'If you are laughing freely in your mind then it shows on your face'

Last edited by VWAllstar : 23rd May 2021 at 08:46.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:52   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Kala - Malayalam - Amazon Prime.

I loved the movie for the simple storyline, adaptation of a real-life incident and for the lead characters - Tovino and Sumesh. Majority of the movie is the conflict between the lead characters, though the lengthy action-sequence can be irritating sometimes.

Not suitable for a family watch.

Edit: Sumesh is an awesome find
Technically good movie but storyline is a bit weak and seem to have been dragged. Background score doesnot match with scenes in many instances. Fight between protagonist and Shaji has been dragged quite a lot. Some elements like camera work, background music(though it is out of sync), some depictions have been portrayed beautifully.

Malayalam movies are all crime thrillers this season and definitely needs some different genres.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 19:40   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

Malayalam movies are all crime thrillers this season and definitely needs some different genres.
Please watch Mohan Kumar Fans, something different from the sea of thrillers. I watched it today and is definitely a good one time watch.
rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:54   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

99 Songs-Netflix-Tamil: AR Rahman's musical. While the songs and the musical part was good, did not like the film itself, seemed to be a story force fitted around the music and strangely the whole movie seemed very dark(I meant literally). Struggled to make out the actors expression itself in a lot of scenes. The lighting seemed way off. Rating: 2/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:25   #1917
Team-BHP Support

Kala (Malayalam) – 4.0/5.0
Personally, I am not a fan of the dark, overly violent type of movies (for e.g., I found it hard to sat through Jallikattu). But this somehow was an exception; probably it’s the making, cinematography, VFX, and the overall performances – thoroughly enjoyed the show. Even more impressive that the actor decided to produce the movie and take up that specific role.

Operation Java (Malayalam) – 4.0/5.0
Another brilliant movie! There are no stars here, but every actor has got the space to contribute and movie overall is very tightly shot. Actually, if the maker did not want to bring home a key point, this had the scope to go in as full-fledged series.

Biriyaani (Malayalam) – 3.5/5.0
Not a great cinematic experience from the technical side, but the storyline is really hard-hitting and can bring home mixed opinions. Kani Kusruti was superb, and I am pleasantly surprised that she grabbed the state award for the best actress for this portrayal.

Next in line – Mohan Kumar Fans, and Wolf.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 16:34   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Rewatched Devasuram on YouTube yesterday. For a Laletan fan, this movie still works

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Kala (Malayalam) – 4.0/5.0
Personally, I am not a fan of the dark, overly violent type of movies (for e.g., I found it hard to sat through Jallikattu). But this somehow was an exception; probably it’s the making, cinematography, VFX, and the overall performances – thoroughly enjoyed the show. Even more impressive that the actor decided to produce the movie and take up that specific role.

Operation Java (Malayalam) – 4.0/5.0
Another brilliant movie! There are no stars here, but every actor has got the space to contribute and movie overall is very tightly shot. Actually, if the maker did not want to bring home a key point, this had the scope to go in as full-fledged series.

Biriyaani (Malayalam) – 3.5/5.0
Not a great cinematic experience from the technical side, but the storyline is really hard-hitting and can bring home mixed opinions. Kani Kusruti was superb, and I am pleasantly surprised that she grabbed the state award for the best actress for this portrayal.

Next in line – Mohan Kumar Fans, and Wolf.
Hi

Which platforms are these available?
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 18:12   #1919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Rewatched Devasuram on YouTube yesterday. For a Laletan fan, this movie still works
For the last week or so, I think due to Lalettan birthday week, Asianet Movies was running a Lal movie every day at 7pm. The sequence was Manichitrathazu, Nadodikkattu, Kireedom, Sphadikam, AkkareAkkareAkkare, Devasuram, Indrajaalam. Was a good dose of nostalgia and Lalettans effortless performance across very different genre's.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 06:35   #1920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Which platforms are these available?
Kala : Amazon Prime
Operation Java: Zee5
Biriyaani : Cave
Aarkariyam: NeeStream

Somehow I don't see Kala on Prime in Singapore now. The last two are local apps. I deleted Cave because the app was very temperamental and pretty hard to get it going. Neestream works well now with Smart TV or casting to TV from the mobile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks