Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2017, 07:58   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Godha

Heard some good reviews on it so took the plunge and it was worth it. Something similar to Dangal but was different. Renji Panicker was top notch and the lead actors were also good. This had all the new gen comedians but I feel they weren't utilized to the maximum. BGM and music - good as always from Shaan. Loved Tovino's beef recipe scene which was doing rounds on social media

Rating - 3.75/5 (A definite one timer)
Old 10th June 2017, 09:13   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Godha
Loved the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Something similar to Dangal but was different.
First thing that came to my mind was the Dangal connection, but little bit googling showed that the film shooting was completed before Dangal was released. That makes it an even more commendable effort IMO.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:22   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Am I the only one who felt Bahubali was mediocre? The CGI was over the top and even amateurish at times!!
No. You most definitely are not the only one. We saw it some time ago, here in the U.K, and it was absolutely, ridiculously, hilariously, unabashedly, stupidly, over the top melodrama for a plot line as thin as cigarette wrapping paper.

Only in la-la land can this gaudy monstrosity of a movie garner some 1000 crores. Because we, the mango people, live for over-the-top melodrama. Each and every scene was overdone, and not in a good way like Peter Jackson did LOTR with the ridiculous attention to detail. Honestly, I didn't find anything even remotely spectacular about 1 or 2. Now, let the flame wars begin!
Old 9th July 2017, 08:29   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum

This one managed to create quite an hype on the social media and people were raving about it as one the best movies ever. Add the opening weekend to be completely booked days in advance also added that curiosity.

30 mins into the movie and you realize that this isnt any blockbuster. The first half is pretty slow. The police station scene reminds you of Action Hero Biju. One good thing about the movie is the cast - Brilliant acting by all. Couple of good laughs but definitely nothing like Maheshinte Prathikaram.

Rating - 3.5/5 (Wont recommend theater. Wait for the DVD)

Last edited by naveen.raju : 9th July 2017 at 08:30.
Old 10th July 2017, 08:48   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Kannada movie Ondu Motteya Kathe on Saturday

I had not watched the trailer nor did I know that it was released only on Friday.
On Friday evening, saw on Facebook that Pawan Kumar of U-turn had produced it and just that was enough for me to book tickets. As is with new movies, I got the tickets easily.

Man, it was completely worth every penny. the 2 hour movie will have you laughing your heart out for 3/4th of the time and the last 30 mins gives you the message it wants to convey in the right manner.
The lead actor and Director Raj Shetty has done a wonderful job. The Mangalore setting and language, the story and the natural screen-play bowled me over. I loved the casting of the movie; all the characters fit beautifully into the roles-The lead male actor and 3 female lead actors. And the songs are also very nice and blend perfectly with the story.

I'd rate it 4.5/5.
Many folds better than those big-banner star-studded yet hollow movies.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 10:04   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Watched Malayalam movie Thondimuthalum - Driksakshiyum yesterday. Liked it very much. Very realistic and fine performance of the actors. Lot of new faces.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:18   #1027
BHPian

Some recommendations from my side:

1) A very old movie "Beladigaale Baala" sorry if i got the name slightly wrong. This one is the best. GR8 movie.
2) Kaka Muttai (Tamil)
3) Natsamrat (Marathi)
4) Sairat (Again Marathi)

By the way i am from Assam but have a thing for good movie cutting across genres, language, regions & countries. W
Old 10th July 2017, 10:27   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

I had not watched the trailer nor did I know that it was released only on Friday.
Just when I wanted to ask if anybody had watched the movie ! Thanks for review. I watched the trailer yesterday and was still not sure if I want to watch the movie. I will plan for this weekend.

Quote:
Many folds better than those big-banner star-studded yet hollow movies.
I had stopped watching Kannada movies in theatres for almost a decade. The current generation directors and actors have brought the Kannada film industry back on track.

"Saavari", "Ulidavaru Kandanthe", "Mungaru Male", "Rangi Tharanga", "Kirik Party", "Godhi Banna ...", "Simple aag ondu love story", "Thithi" - never watched so many good films in a span of three years.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:07   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I had stopped watching Kannada movies in theatres for almost a decade. The current generation directors and actors have brought the Kannada film industry back on track.

"Savaari", "Ulidavaru Kandanthe", "Mungaru Male", "Rangi Tharanga", "Kirik Party", "Godhi Banna ...", "Simple aag ondu love story", "Thithi" - never watched so many good films in a span of three years.
Same here. I'm not a movie regular. Be it any language only if it is really really good as per reviews and only if it is 'different' I go and watch it.
Yes, very much true about the new breed of directors and actors.
Among all the recent such movies though, against public opinion I didn't like Thithi and Karva one bit
Old 10th July 2017, 16:13   #1030
BHPian

Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum

I only went for this since I couldn't get tickets for Despicable Me 3 . Couldn't have made a better decision! Fantastic movie. Brilliant acting all around. Amazing direction. Fahad proves yet again he's the best in Mollywood. Suraj played his part brilliantly too, a much needed change from his usual over-the-top almost slapstick comedy roles. Not a single unwanted character nor a wasted dialog! It's amazing what a talented crew can do, even with such a small story. This is a movie to be enjoyed for the acting and direction, not much the story. Don't miss this!

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 10th July 2017, 16:46   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
Some recommendations from my side:

1) A very old movie "Beladigaale Baala" sorry if i got the name slightly wrong. This one is the best. GR8 movie.
BeladingaLa baale...Yes, really good movie

Quote:
By the way i am from Assam but have a thing for good movie cutting across genres, language, regions & countries. W
Old 11th July 2017, 11:00   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
No. You most definitely are not the only one.
This means, there are only two ! !

Seriously, any fantasy movie or any epic OF ANY LANGUAGE OR ANY PART OF THE WORLD, it will deserve the same comments including the famous Ramayanam OR Mahabharatam OR ANY OTHER EPICS (Not talking about TV Serials or Films, Talking about actual epics written by Valmiki and Vyasa Maharshi) that are considered to be the most sacred epics.

So, when while watching fantasy movie, I will keep all the logics aside and enjoy the film / epics.
Old 11th July 2017, 13:36   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few movies in the last month:

Godha: Good entertainer and definitely worth a watch. Good acting by the entire cast.

Oru Cinemakkaran: Based on the title and after watching the promo song, I went in expecting the story of a struggling film maker. But, the film turned out to be a crime thriller. There is a twist at the end, but the film fails to keep the audience on the edge of their seats. I would recommend waiting for the DVD to watch this.

Avarude Ravukal: This is a story of 3 young men with no real aim and some issues get ahead in life with some help from an old man. Not many laughs in this one. Again, I would recommend waiting for the DVD to watch this.

Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum: As others have said before, this is another movie in the pattern of the director's earlier hit Maheshinte Prathikaram. I like this one, although I think it doesn't quite match up to the director's earlier movie. The movie includes some situational comedy. The acting is first-rate from the entire cast. The newcomers (heroine and the person who played the SI) deserve special mention.

Tiyaan: Tiyaan tells an old story, but in an engaging way. The first half is powerful, but I felt some lag in the story in the 2nd half. I also felt some inconsistencies in the story in the 2nd half. But, on the whole, it is worth a watch. The film is rated "A" (don't really understand why), so it's not one where you can take kids along.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:29   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Watched "Ondu Motteya Kathe" on Saturday. Excellent film considering the fact that for the director / lead role, Raj Shetty, this is the first film. The story line is taut, songs are good, music melodious and delivers the message it wants to convey perfectly.

TOI mentioned:

Quote:
The film is much like the realistic tales narrated by Iranian filmmakers and their ilk.
which I found is correct.

Rating : 4 / 5
Old 17th July 2017, 12:40   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man, it was completely worth every penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Watched "Ondu Motteya Kathe" on Saturday. Excellent film considering the fact that for the director / lead role, Raj Shetty, this is the first film. The story line is taut, songs are good, music melodious and delivers the message it wants to convey perfectly.
I watched it this weekend and it was super fun. Good to see Kannada movies that are moving away from the usual song & dance routines. Totally worth a watch.

Rating 4/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks