Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 17:47   #1321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I think 5 yrs+ to be precise.
Would request to suggest many more such Kannada Movies.
A few that I have watched and enjoyed over the last few years: Ondu Motteya Kathe, Sarkari Hi. Pra. Shaale Kasargodu, U Turn, Godi Banna Saadarana Maikattu.
Old 29th July 2019, 17:54   #1322
BHPian

Watched Thanneer Mathan Dinangal day before yesterday in a theater nearby. It was the first movie in a long time that I went for just seeing the trailer and songs, without reading all the reviews. Did not disappoint. Shows the plus two life of a bunch of kids. A small feel good movie, which does not have a single boring moment. Though the climax was a bit dramatic, everything else was awesome. Lot of funny one liners and situational comedy.
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:52   #1323
BHPian

The Prithviraj starrer is really worth a watch. Sci-fi with a horror twist. I believe its a first in Indian movie scene. And the team pulled it off pretty decently. The Godha heroine too looked pretty horrifying without any overboard makeup. Though I felt at some point the horror got more prominence over the sci-fi part.
Also felt, trying to explain the happenings using a medical condition was not required just to make it a tad bit twisty. In fact was expecting a sci-fi alien explanation when Mr.Senior scientist showed up. But overall a good watch.

FundaG
Old 5th August 2019, 09:19   #1324
BHPian

After a long time, caught up with a Telugu film in a theatre (ticket prices in Bangalore surely don't help).

Watched Rakshasudu which is a remake of Ratsasan in Tamil. It is a slasher film. Liked it pretty much for its no-nonsense, slick screenplay. What I liked the most is the minimal use of graphic content and gore although descriptions of it in some scenes is somewhat gut wrenching. The pace of the story was good. At no point did I feel any scene to be dragging/out of place. Most of this genre's films are either badly written, acted or directed, which keeps the thrills away.

Would recommend this flick for an edge of the seat entertainment. As always viewer discretion is advised
Old 5th August 2019, 09:52   #1325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thanks for suggesting Kavaludaari. Watched it yesterday. Found to be a very good movie. A first thriller Kannada movie for me. I saw a Kannada movie after a very long time, I think 5 yrs+ to be precise.

Would request to suggest many more such Kannada Movies.
5 years! that's a long time! Apart from the movies procrj has suggested, the following are some of the movies that I can recall in no specific order

GULTOO: the lead actor in Kavaludaari is the lead actor here. Nice movie about cyber data mining. Trivia: Title is "LOGOUT" scrambled as GULTOO
Naaticharaami: Drama movie more like an art movie. Decent one time watch
Ambi ninge vayasayto: A remake of Tamil movie Pa Paandi. Ambarish and Sudeep fans hated it but a good movie nonetheless.
Bell Bottom: a period comic/thriller movie about a small time detective solving a robbery case.
Kirik Party: A must watch! Although it's inspired by a couple of Malayalam flicks...a fun movie not to be missed
Oggarane: Nice movie starring Prakash Rai, Sneha and urvashi and Mandya Ramesh
Old 5th August 2019, 18:42   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
5 years! that's a long time!
I know and I blame it for poor availability of Kannada movie shows in Mumbai. Plus I am totally not interested in the run of the mill type movies (read Darshan, Punit Rajkumar, Shivraj kumar, Sudeep and the likes).

Amongst the movies you suggested, I have already seen Gultoo & Kirik Party. Rest will definitely try to catch up. Mostly interested in thrillers than the melodramatic ones.

Thanks for the suggestions, will connect with you soon.
Old 7th August 2019, 09:54   #1327
BHPian

Watched malayalam movie unda in prime videos over the weekend. Story of police men sent on duty for election in Maoist interested areas of Chhattisgarh. Though the title suggests a possible macho super hero movie (unda means bullet in malayalam) it is a realistic take on police men who are as afraid as anybody else.

Climax brought in some macho elements and is sticking like a sore thumb on an otherwise brilliant movie.

I have a doubt. In Netflix, there is a coming soon tab which lists all the upcoming movies/shows. I usually set a reminder for the show i plan to watch and it gets added to my viewing list automatically once it gets released in Netflix. Is there a similar functionality in prime? Couldn't find one, and the search also was not that intuitive.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:30   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Game Over (Tamil)

Starts off slow but gets very interesting in the second half. Very well directed and actors played their bit well. A different kind of psycho thriller.

Rating - 4.5/5

Also caught up with Jiivi and Kolaigaran. Decent thrillers.
Old 13th August 2019, 13:58   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post

Climax brought in some macho elements and is sticking like a sore thumb on an otherwise brilliant movie.

Totally agree. I was expecting some hard hitting stuff or conspiracy the way the climax was building up. Had watched it in theatre and at interval was thinking how the movie would pan out. But at last it all ended in the usual dishum dishum.

Uyare

Watched this 2 days back. A very good watch. Though there were enough scenes to go melodramatic, things were kept as close to reality as possible without going too much overboard. Parvathy really did a great work especially with the style of her toungue-in-cheek confident dialogue delivery. Also Asif ali's character shows how humans can be heroes and villains at the same time based on situations. And no human is perfect.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 13th August 2019 at 14:05.
Old 13th August 2019, 21:41   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few movies over the last month in theaters as well as on Amazon Prime.

1. Kakshi Amminipilla: A good one-time watch. I think all the actors have done a good job. I especially found Ahmed Sidhique very believable as the titular character. The heroine (Shibla) is quite good too. The film has a bit of a fairy tale ending in my opinion. Saying anything more about the ending may be a spoiler.

2. 18-am Padi: A story of two rival gangs from neighboring schools, one for the rich and one for the poor. If you expect the poor kids to be badly behaved, but having a good heart and the rich kids to be smooth talkers, but into bad stuff, you guessed right. A long ride along Cliche Street awaits you. The movie features some big names in small roles - probably there just due to their friendship with the writer-director. A set of newcomers play the main roles and they have done a good job in general.

3. Luca: A stupid online reviewer gave out a spoiler, so I had a fair idea about what was coming. However, the movie still managed to keep me entertained. Tovino has played similar roles before and Luca is not a big challenger for him. I was impressed with the actor who played the police inspector and also Ahana Krishna. Music and cinematography are both good.

4. Unda: Again a good one-time watch. I don't think any other Malayalam movie has handled the theme and I enjoyed the movie. Mammootty does well in a role with no superhero touches, but the role offers him no challenges. The younger actors with him have also done a good job.

5. Satyam Paranja Viswasikkuvo?: Like the writer's earlier movie, this one too is woven around a theft. The movie has some lighter moments, but in the first half I think it takes quite long to establish the characters. The suspense element is not really a big surprise (everyone knows how it will end). The movie marks the comeback of Samvrutha Sunil. She has played her part well, but it's not a performance oriented role or a heroine oriented movie. Biju Menon and company are also good.

6. Virus: Commendable job by Aashiq Abu and team. The movie essentially documents how Kerala fought the Nipah virus outbreak, but it doesn't feel like a documentary, and feels more like a thriller. Lot of big names in the movie, but not all of them have hugely significant parts. This movie I think is all about the scriptwriter and the director.

7. Ishq: As the tagline says, "not a love story". The first half deals with moral policing which must surely be opposed and culprits brought to book. However, I am not a fan of the second half showing how the hero deals with it. I liked the twist (or sting) at the very end. I think the stand out performer in the movie is the villain Shine Tom Chacko. The others are good too.

8. Kumbalangi Nights: Well, not much to add to what has been said about the movie in this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have already watched it twice.
Old 16th August 2019, 23:40   #1331
BHPian

Been catching up on a lot of movies on Netflix & Prime in Telugu, Tamil & Malayalam.
Tamil & Malayalam with subs.

Tamil
a. 100 - Standard Cop fare. Entertaining but the usual fare.
b. Super Deluxe - Loved it. (Netflix)
c. Raatchasi - A head master takes on a private school. One time watch. (Prime)
d. Michael Madan Kama Raja - Classic Kamal Haasan movie. (Prime)
e. Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru - Based on true incidents. Don't watch with kids.
f. Vada Chennai - Loved this movie. Seems the director took inspiration from Tarantino chopping the movie into separate chapters and jumping timelines. Dhanush is a superb actor. (Hotstar)
e. Theri, Maari, Maari 2. VIP, VIP 2 Mesral, Viswasam, Kaala, Kabali, Kaththi (because it is being remade as Bachchan Pandey in Hindi) - the standard masala fare for that mindless evening when I do not want to tax my brains.

Malayalam
a. Ratsasan - without subs but managed to watch it and enjoyed it. (Hotstar)
b. Kumbalangi Nights - A lovely story set in some fantastic scenery. The first scene of the hills and the camera zooming into the football ground was superb. Fahadh Faasil plays his role superbly. And those four brothers too. (Prime)
c. Unda - A realistic take on how an out of state cop force manages in another state during elections under a maoist threat and the local politicians are shown to be more dangerous than the maoist.
d. Njan Prakashan - Wanted to catch more movies of Fahadh Faasil. Did not disappoint. (Netflix)
e. Jomonte Suvisheshangal - A simple family drama of a prodigal wastrel coming into his own. Dulquer does a fine job. (Netflix)
f. Virus - Our own version of Outbreak. Tovino stars. (Prime)
g. Lucifer - Mohanlal sleepwalks in this movie ably assisted by Vivek Oberoi & Tovino. (Prime)
h. Maheshinte Prathikaaram - What a movie. Fahadh Faasil has made me his fan. (Netflix)

Telugu
a. RX 100 - (Prime) Enjoyed this movie.
b. Maharshi - (Prime) A bit far fetched but one watch all the same.
c. Bharat Ane Nenu - (Prime) Again a bit idealistic but a one time watch.
d. Nene Raja Nene Mantri - (Prime) A brutal movie.
e. Agent Sai Shrinivas Atreya - (Prime) Slow in the beginning but catches up in the end. Story too farfetched.
f. Brochevarevaru Ra - . Waste movie. This movie tends to irritate in the second half. Could not sympathise with those three wastrels because of what they did to the upcoming director. The ending tried to salvage those three waste fellows. Avoid. (Prime)

This weekend will see the new Mammootty movie - Pathinettam Padi - available on Prime.

As an Andhraite, I am enjoying Malayalam movies much more than Telugu or Tamil movies.
Simple stories, set in simple places, with the cast doing normal professions like male nurse, barber, mechanic, cops.
Never seen the Telugu & Tamil cinema tropes like super palatial homes, super expensive cars, same set piece fight sequences, over the top acting and similar story lines.

My friends suggested a few movies that are unavailable on the streaming platforms
1. Om Shanti Oshaana - Nivin Pauly & Nazriya Nazim
2. Mahanadi - Tovino stars
3. June (Hotstar)
4. Godha
5. Guppy
6. Charlie.

If our Malayali members can suggest some more good movies to watch, would be much obliged.
Also if you could include the streaming service where I can watch them.

Last edited by Ithaca : 16th August 2019 at 23:45.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:31   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

My friends suggested a few movies that are unavailable on the streaming platforms
3. June (Hotstar)
4. Godha
5. Guppy
6. Charlie.

If our Malayali members can suggest some more good movies to watch, would be much obliged.
Good post. Quick clarification. The number 2 above , I guess it meant either Maradona or theevandi. Mahanadi is the Malayalam version of the Telugu Savitri biopic mahanati.

Immediate recommendation is Uyare on Netflix. Parvathy, Tovino and Asif Ali. If you are a Fahad Fazil fan now, below are recommended

Thondimuthalum driksakshiyum (Netflix)
Annayum Rasoolum (Netflix)
Varathan ( hotstar)
Old 17th August 2019, 08:50   #1333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

3. June (Hotstar)
4. Godha
5. Guppy
6. Charlie.

Some of these movies are available on sunnxt.com. It's a streaming service like Prime/netflix but without any subs.

Also try justwatch.com. You can search your titles here and see on which streaming service it's available.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:59   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Good post. Quick clarification. The number 2 above , I guess it meant either Maradona or theevandi. Mahanadi is the Malayalam version of the Telugu Savitri biopic mahanati.
I think he meant Mayanadhi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayaanadhi
Old 17th August 2019, 09:36   #1335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Oh right, how could I have forgotten the beautiful Mayanadhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks