Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 19:26   #4426
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The "like" button was a great innovation: taking it away from some sections was a really bad decision. Please take another look at it.
We use thanks count to gauge a member's contribution to the forum, which is actually about automobiles.

It came to our collective notice that there were many who were earning boatloads of thanks from posting in Joke Thread. Post a nice joke found in FB, get 5-10 thanks for it. Same thing was happening in many threads under Shifting gear, which has nothing to do with automobiles, the real focus of the forum.

This really corrupted the purpose behind introducing thanks count. So we disabled thanks button for shifting gear section.

PS: Good to know you won't be mentioning it again.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:14   #4427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We use thanks count to gauge a member's contribution to the forum, which is actually about automobiles.

It came to our collective notice that there were many who were earning boatloads of thanks from posting in Joke Thread. Post a nice joke found in FB, get 5-10 thanks for it. Same thing was happening in many threads under Shifting gear, which has nothing to do with automobiles, the real focus of the forum.

This really corrupted the purpose behind introducing thanks count. So we disabled thanks button for shifting gear section.

PS: Good to know you won't be mentioning it again.
Not to nitpick, but if this is the ONLY reason for the removal of *THANKS* feature from the off beat section, why not extend the same post count logic to the thanks feature too!

Just saying!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 7th April 2012 at 20:16.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:21   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Before I start, I must mention that I know that the debate on "thanks" topic has been beaten to death. I neither advocate nor denounce it. However, a few things caught my attention in this thread hence this post.

Quote:

I can't "like" the posts
I can't post saying I like the post, as it would be a "one-liner"
^^ This is tricky. Consider this thread where suggestions are poured in- some of which are implemented on the forum and some do not, should a member be thanked in such a case? Question open for discussion.

Quote:
Ok, this is a new revelation to me. I thought it was something similar to the the "like" option on FB (remember a mod explaining it somewhere on the forum - can't locate it though) .

Does that imply that a member with a low thanks count is not contributing automobile related stuff ?

Quote:
This is a good observation and you guys are right. Have a look at the Joke thread now. Not what it used to be !

Quote:
Ok, so this was the prime reason for disabling, right?

Spike

PS - There are umpteen no. of non-automotive related posts in the forum which receive many "thanks" and plenty of automotive related posts which receive a very few "thanks", never understood the reason behind this discrepancy !
Old 7th April 2012, 22:27   #4429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before I start, I must mention that I know that the debate on "thanks" topic has been beaten to death.
But it hasn't, so I think I'd better mention it again! It's implementation was discussed, not its partial loss.
Quote:
We use thanks to say thanks, or enjoyed that, etc. It's new, relatively: the mods had no difficulty in making those assessments before, and they did not offer us thanks as tool for them. They offered it as a part of the community, and also as something the implementation of which was discussed by the community.

Quote:
Purpose? I think (see above) that the goal posts got shifted.

It was well thought-out and well-implemented. It is a bad management technique to change something that is doing a good job because it might seem like a good idea to make it do a different job.
Old 7th April 2012, 22:32   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
It was well thought-out and well-implemented. It is a bad management technique to change something that is doing a good job because it might seem like a good idea to make it do a different job.
I agree completely with this. But as there is no way to click +1 on this post, I have to post this one liner.
Old 7th April 2012, 22:48   #4431
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Samurai's comments here. Infact the Jokes thread is a less busy place after the new change was implemented. That said, ideal update should have been the count logic, similar to how posts in shifting gears section does not add up to the posts count.
Old 8th April 2012, 00:58   #4432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Before I start, I must mention that I know that the debate on "thanks" topic has been beaten to death.
True. In fact, it has been beaten lot more within the support section.

Quote:
Ok, this is a new revelation to me. I thought it was something similar to the the "like" option on FB (remember a mod explaining it somewhere on the forum - can't locate it though) .
No, there is already a FB like button in the top of every page, why add one more.

Quote:
Does that imply that a member with a low thanks count is not contributing automobile related stuff ?
Do you know there are members who never post outside of Shifting gears or even outside photography/Camera threads?

Quote:
Ok, so this was the prime reason for disabling, right?
That surely triggered the need to have a re-look.

Quote:
Purpose? I think (see above) that the goal posts got shifted.
Not really. We saw an anomaly and took corrective action.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree. It is actually good management practice to actively monitor and take corrective action. There are quite a few experienced managers in the mod team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That said, ideal update should have been the count logic, similar to how posts in shifting gears section does not add up to the posts count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Not to nitpick, but if this is the ONLY reason for the removal of *THANKS* feature from the off beat section, why not extend the same post count logic to the thanks feature too!
May be the software didn't allow that feature, I am not sure. I'll check and get back on that.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2012 at 11:59. Reason: Correcting typo reported by Condor
Old 8th April 2012, 01:07   #4433
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of you know that I'm not a stranger to forum moderation: I can understand what your points, especially about stuff like joke threads
Quote:
True. In fact, it has been beaten lot more within the support section.
Missed it. If I'd have known, I'd have joined in.

Sounds to me like a finer fine tuning would have been the solution.
Old 8th April 2012, 09:44   #4434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some of you know that I'm not a stranger to forum moderation
Yes, we know that N.

Quote:
Sounds to me like a finer fine tuning would have been the solution.
There is always room for improvement. But you also know that we can't make everybody happy.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:17   #4435
Senior - BHPian

I too feel that removing Thanks button for non-auto threads is bit of a back step. It was a good gauge of people's reaction, and it felt great that 10 other people like and feel the same way as I do.

If the intention is to keep the Thanks count independent of the non-auto related posts, can it be done that the Thanks count from those particular subforumss is not added to the actual count of the user, but only shown on that post?
Old 8th April 2012, 10:23   #4436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I agree with Samurai's comments here. Infact the Jokes thread is a less busy place after the new change was implemented. That said, ideal update should have been the count logic, similar to how posts in shifting gears section does not add up to the posts count.
I agree on both counts. Let the Thanks feature be there throughout the forum, but not add up to the count in Shifting Gears section. This way the OP would know that his/her post has been appreciated/liked/agreed to.

This will also help reduce one-liners.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:03   #4437
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I think there must have been software handicap, to make the "Thanks" not count. Or else, there is no reason for removing the very successful "Thanks" button, from the shifting gears section. It has added soo much value. Trust our mods, will you??..

Lets hope, there is some sort of crack/trick/add-on/plugin or anything to re-enable it, but not make the "Thanks" count. Some threads in Shifting Gears desperately needs it, to remain clean, and uncluttered.
Old 8th April 2012, 13:53   #4438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Missed it. If I'd have known, I'd have joined in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Guys, I think there must have been software handicap, to make the "Thanks" not count. Or else, there is no reason for removing the very successful "Thanks" button, from the shifting gears section. It has added soo much value.
Lets hope, there is some sort of crack/trick/add-on/plugin or anything to re-enable it, but not make the "Thanks" count.
+1

How about conducting a poll for this issue, everything will be crystal clear then?

Quote:

No, there is already a FB like button in the top of every page, why add one more.
No, I think I did not mention it clearly. I was referring to the Team BHP version of "thanks" which is analogous to the FB like option.

Quote:
Do you know there are members who never post outside of Shifting gears or even outside photography/Camera threads?
That is a good observation, I noticed that too.

Also, there are very prominent members with a low thanks count (<100) might be because of some reasons not known to me.

Spike
Old 12th April 2012, 13:40   #4439
BHPian

Re: The Commitment to maintain Team-BHPs QUALITY!

I was wondering where I should put this but I have a suggestion to make if that's quite alright.

I'm not entirely sure this is possible but is there a way to allow a user to edit his post up until a few minutes after he has posted? Obviously making permanent edits isn't the way to go.

I'm also aware of the post preview feature, this is just something that crossed my mind when I made my last post. ( Not that I made an error! )
Old 12th April 2012, 14:43   #4440
BANNED

Re: The Commitment to maintain Team-BHPs QUALITY!

@ashwin23; Editing up to 20 minutes is allowed. Possibly newbies are not given this facility. You are required to learn to think before you post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks