Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 09:49   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Hotel cochin gate - Karukutty (Near adlux convention center) revisited.

Thumbs up for the ediyirachi (Dried and crushed beef) for mere INR 60 per plate and thats yummy too.

Also visited Puttu kada at karunagappally,Kollam, The beef masala and chicken masala were too spicy and tasty and it is economical too.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:23   #272
BHPian

Holidays again and foodies- father and son set out for a visit to the old favorites and discovering some new ones mostly in the Ernakulam area. Here are some notings. A few places I could not take down the names but have given approximate locations.

1 Hotel Paradise - Near Lullu.... before KR Bakes. Earler visit I had given good ratings as both butter chicken and fish biriyani were good. This time we reached at 1430 and found that most items had run out. So ordered a chicken biriyani and a beef biriyani. Both were nothing excceptional. Not worth a special triip.

2 KR Bakes - Near Lullu - Average food and over priced. Do not waste your time or money going to this particular branch. Went to their bakery outlet at Ernakulam Junction Railway station and there the bakery items were not bad.

3 Meriboy ice creams - Lullu Food Cout.... Reasonably priced Milk Shakes and ice creams.

4 Sea Shells restaurant - Near Penta Menaka complex-Marine Drive. Got down from the bus and staff were literally calling people inside. Was hungry and went in. Over priced - total waste of money. 120 Rs for fish curry meals (very average fish - quantity and quality) and Kozhuva fry at 90 Rs was so iull of salt, it was unedible. The 220 Rs I wasted means I am in no hurry to go there again.

5 Retaurant (forgot name) - after Renaissance hotel towards Palarivattom Junction - near the bus stop where buses form Aluva stop. Forgot the name. You have to go slightly inside from the road. For the 220 Rs I wasted at Sea Shells, the exact same meal I had here for 75 Rs.Fish curry meals + Kozhuva (anchovy)fry . Food quality was good. Second helpings were given with a smile and the place is hugely popular. Caters to the office crowd, so dont expect fancy service or plush seating or tables for yourselves. Highly recommended and one of my finds of this times expedition.

6 Hotel Zaina - Pump Junction Aluva... They have an AC section upstairs. Excellent food. Good value for money, Simply the best place in Aluva. Lost s of notices saying you are under camera surveillance. Do not get put off by this as the food is good and the notices to my knowledge are only put by the management (as is their right) to discourage a particular type of clientele,

7 Hotel Saffire - Jos Junction- Some places always remain consistent and this is another place. The AC section upstairs is excellent value. My son loves the Chicken Tikka Masala here (one of the few places where the dish is avaiable during lunch). Been frequeenting the place for 25 years now.

8 Hotel (forgot name again) - Angamaly. First hotel and bckery next to KSRTC Bus staiton , same side towards Aluva. The find of this trip. Chicken Biryani at 140Rs was too good.

9 Carnival Food Court (nar Athani)... Not bad value at all and not very crowded either. Good place to stop when you are dirving down the nH 47.

10 KFC- At Centre Square Mall. I thought Lullu crowd was less this time and one of the reasons is the Centre Square mall in MG Road. The 11 screen multplex is not yet operational and once it starts working, footfalls will only increase. Good choice of outlets and a Big Bazaaar outlet. Food Court is decent. Had food from KFC, Chicken Rice Bowl with Pepsi which was good value. Kethels Chicken has an outlet here. Price is Rs 160. Since I went early evening, did not try this out. Also went to the KFC outelt at Trivandrum opposite Raymond Show Room (QRS bulding) at MG road. This is hugely popular and have lots of options.

And finally another observation. Was told at two different places-Hotel Zaina and Hotel Sea Shells that they have stopped serving beef although it was listed in the menu. Any particular reason??? Had good Chilli Beef and Beef Fry (perfectly made) at Hotel Chinchus near Ulloor junction when you are coming from Medical College This is a great place if you are near that side as prices are very reasonable and taste too good.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:51   #273
BANNED

#5 @ Palarivattom is Mayyazi.

If you did not get beef, blame it on hoof t and mouth disease, which is rampant.

@Trivandrum, Pothys ground floor has a good food court now.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:52   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post

And finally another observation. Was told at two different places-Hotel Zaina and Hotel Sea Shells that they have stopped serving beef although it was listed in the menu. Any particular reason???
eastern parts of Ernakulam district Kunnathnad,Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam talukas and Idukki district are facing Kulambu rogam(Foot and mouth disease in cattle). so Beef and mutton are altogether skipped by many. many hotels stopped serving beef these days as Hotel-Restaurant association took a decision two weeks back or so not to serve beef because of the rampant foot-mouth disease spreading.
however, there are restaurants serving beef in many areas. but it's risky taking beef in hotels after media exposing of "Tsunami meat"(dead/disease affected cattle , old meat scraps collected from as far as Hubli transported to Kochi) and now foot and mouth disease spreading.
Old 5th January 2014, 12:05   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
#5 @ Palarivattom is Mayyazi.

If you did not get beef, blame it on hoof t and mouth disease, which is rampant.

@Trivandrum, Pothys ground floor has a good food court now.
The one I mean is I think almost adjacent to Mayyazi...almost exclusively cafteria style seating.I am not too familiar with the area, had work there , and since it was lunch time when I finished tried my luck and found it. I think Mayyazi has a road side entrance ...right?

Thanks for the warnings regarding foot and mouth disease. The place i had (Chinchus) has been around for long and luckily I had no problems.

The KFC in Trivandrum I went to (QRS building) is manned mostly by hearing impaired people. it is a good initiative and worth supporting. Crowd was huge. I think the old horror stories are behind them.

Last edited by TKMCE : 5th January 2014 at 12:07.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:58   #276
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need your help.

Please suggest some eateries that serves local cuisine in Kollam.

Thanks.

Waseem.
Old 9th January 2014, 02:10   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Please suggest some eateries that serves local cuisine in Kollam.
I had heard good reviews of Hotel Fayalwan in Chinnakkada, but on the two occasions that I went there (a week apart) the place was closed. I don't know if they have relocated or shut down for good. Google wasn't much help. Fayalwan's signature dish is their version of biryani. You could try your luck and update us.

Hot Spot near the Collectorate offers a variety of spicy seafood. But quality tends to vary, depending on the season and the catch of the day, so there's an element of luck involved. You could also check out Thirumullavaram beach a few km away - there used to be a couple of shacks serving great local seafood. Disclaimer: I haven't been to these places in many months, so my info could be out of date.
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:50   #278
BHPian

Time for the next trip home and foodie expedition with the kiddo. He loves Chak De and I want to try out Kethels for the first time. So it will be Centre Square Mall this time around as both have their outlets in the Food Court.

Any idea when the Multiplex in Centre Square Mall will be up and running?? Once they are up Lullu will loose footfalls (me included). I thought the range of shops were decent in Centre Square Mall.

Slightly OT, the international departure lounge (after security) at Kochi airport is a book lover's paradise....Not one but you have 3 book shops there. WH Smith have a good collection of books and there are outlets of Shankars and DC books also.
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:36   #279
Senior - BHPian

Any one tried Hilton Trivandrum ?

I just tried once and the food quality served there is just average.

I also had to complain and change the dish.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:45   #280
BHPian

Guys,

Please suggest good vegetarian restaurants around Vinayaga Kalyana Mandapam, Ernakulam (2-3 kms radius).
Old 11th March 2014, 16:57   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any one tried Hilton Trivandrum ?
I have been to this place for dinner(Buffet) and found it to be average,nothing to rave about.

Waseem.
Old 11th March 2014, 19:50   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Guys,

Please suggest good vegetarian restaurants around Vinayaga Kalyana Mandapam, Ernakulam (2-3 kms radius).
You can try Gokul Ootupura which is less than 1 KM from Vinayaka towards Kadavanthara jn.
Old 12th March 2014, 15:59   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Guys,

since you mentioned 2-3kms, consider Dwaraka near Jose Junction assuming a sumptuous meal is the expectation. Woodlands Hotel is famous, located at Woodland's junction after Jose. not sure if Woodlands(Rangoli restaurant) is operating these days. Brindavan, Palarivattom is also very good, but it is long distance. Ambi swamy's Pallimukku may be a budget choice. Gokul Oottupura is fine. I had meals at Brindhavan, Palarivattom which I liked better than other options listed.

most vegetarian items are dumped up without coriander leaves, which I presume is a must in rest of India. I likes it, but 99% of Malayalees hates Coriander

Last edited by deepclutch : 12th March 2014 at 16:03.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:53   #284
Senior - BHPian

You presume incorrectly fellow foodie.

Anything in excess is unwelcome on a plate anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
....most vegetarian items are dumped up without coriander leaves, which I presume is a must in rest of India. I likes it, but 99% of Malayalees hates Coriander
Old 12th March 2014, 20:58   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Could anyone point out certain shows (NOT the regular 30 mins ones), that are aired in some of the channels as a part of news or so? I remember having seen some, but can't recollect which channel or the youtube channels.

Did some search, but wasn't successful. I remember of a show where they showed a small (budget) hotel somewhere in Trivandrum who serves "Chicken Thoran" along with meals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks