Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 17:14   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Also remember a Punjabi hotel near Ayurveda college. My N.Indian friends used to assemble there for dinner.
If at all you come across the address of this place, it would be grateful if you could share the same with me, a Punjabi food fan.
Old 15th April 2013, 22:10   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
If at all you come across the address of this place, it would be grateful if you could share the same with me, a Punjabi food fan.
Sure, Thoma,

But right now, I don't remember the name.
That was a good 20 years back, when I was studying in Tvm.

regards,
Old 16th April 2013, 16:04   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Dont know whether the two old famous bakeries then in Trivandrum , Shantha Bakery and Queens Bakery are still around.
Don't know about Queens but Shantha is still there. While the one in MG road is in a dilapidated state the Vazhuthacaud still seems to be doing OK. But that too has lost it charm. The Veg puff from Shantha and Eastern in Vazhuthacaud is my favorite snack and I make it a point to have them every time I visit Trivandrum.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:39   #229
BHPian

I used to have lunch from hotel Diana(vadakkumchery) on my Trichur trips. Their beef/pork varieties are worth a try.There is a small shop just before kuthiran bridge where you will get kappa with beef. The ambient is not good out there but you will get fresh n hot food.
High road Akshaya hotel is very good for our "nadan"(local)foods.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:44   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
I used to have lunch from hotel Diana(vadakkumchery) on my Trichur trips. Their beef/pork varieties are worth a try.There is a small shop just before kuthiran bridge where you will get kappa with beef. The ambient is not good out there but you will get fresh n hot food.
High road Akshaya hotel is very good for our "nadan"(local)foods.
Yes Diana serves up good food,though low on cleanliness and hygiene like any other restaurant in Kerala!Even Arathi inside Vadakencheri town used to serve up good food.Where exactly is Akshaya on High Road,and any thing that you would reccomend there?
Old 16th April 2013, 17:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punjabi Dhaba, near Kripa Theater is your place.The only downside is that it serves pure veg.

Gauri Nivas, near medical college also serves some North Indian Fare, not authentic though.

Waseem.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:36   #232
Senior - BHPian

There is a small veg. restaurant "Idly shop" near Vellurkkunnam junction,Muvattupuzha(LHS coming from Perumbavur side). not a big restaurant but their vegetable biriyani and lemon rice is good.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:41   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Yes Diana serves up good food,though low on cleanliness and hygiene like any other restaurant in Kerala!Even Arathi inside Vadakencheri town used to serve up good food.Where exactly is Akshaya on High Road,and any thing that you would reccomend there?
In Akshaya you can try put,appam, kappah n variety of dosas with all veg/non veg curries.I even like their (adicha chaya)'Tea'. This place is an average one in terms of cleanliness but taste wise really great. No car parking :( but you can park your car on the pocket roads in the night timings.In day;forget going their in car or you must park in the old pattalam road n walk.
Akshaya comes on the left side 100m after the east police station.
Old 16th April 2013, 20:10   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
In Akshaya you can try put,appam, kappah n variety of dosas with all veg/non veg curries.I even like their (adicha chaya)'Tea'. This place is an average one in terms of cleanliness but taste wise really great. No car parking :( but you can park your car on the pocket roads in the night timings.In day;forget going their in car or you must park in the old pattalam road n walk.
Akshaya comes on the left side 100m after the east police station.
Hotel Akshya on high road is normally active at night time , people tend to park vehicles along high road, but there are several pocket roads to park if you look out early, also you can park near police club.

Food is above average and cooked at night, hygiene factor is okay. But in the wee hours of night it's the best place near thrissur round for people travelling towards ernakulam.
Old 16th April 2013, 20:19   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Punjabi Dhaba, near Kripa Theater is your place.The only downside is that it serves pure veg.

Gauri Nivas, near medical college also serves some North Indian Fare, not authentic though.
Thanks, I'm mostly looking for veg, but authentic Punjabi. The best I've tasted is from [post=3014234]Punjabi Dhaba at Broadway, Cochin[post]. I'll definitely try the one near Kripa and another one I couldn't try till now is Sharma Punjabi Dhaba en-route from Bakery Jn. to Thampanoor.

Long time back, there was a Gujarati Hotel in a narrow street just before Paarthas. Though a dingy little place, the puri-masala from there still evokes salivation.
Old 16th April 2013, 21:35   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mr Ranjit .. you do not know Akshaya ? After so many years in Thrissur. Surprising. There are 2 Akshayas, one on high road and the other one (the newer one) right opp Hotel Elite International, on Chembottil Lane side.

There was also one, at the corner where Marar road connects to Swaraj round, not sure if it is still there. Akshaya rose to fame in the early 90's (or maybe its because I was old enough to realize then) owing to the huge quantity of Biriyani (note the spelling) it served. Then over a period of time, both Akshaya and Jaya Palace introduced a lot more variety of food, as in Kerala styled North Indian and Chinese and the like. I would think both were equally successful.

Btw, guys has Jaya Palace re-opened after renovation ?
Old 28th June 2013, 12:44   #237
Senior - BHPian

Any one tried the new restaurant Sagara near VW showroom NH bye-pass Trivandrum ?

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 28th June 2013 at 12:46. Reason: adding details
Old 7th August 2013, 23:12   #238
BHPian

Ok, a brief review of a few restaurants I had food over the last week in Kochi thanks to my son who loves eating out and makes the most of it whenever I come home on leave.

1 Hotel Chimney - Near Lullu Mall.Because of the car parking and comfortable seating areas this place gets a lot of customers, mostly family crowd driving through . Chicken Biriyani- hardly had much rice and it appeared rice as added to the chicken almost as an after thought! The chicken pieces were properly cooked though. Also had Kozhuva (anchovy) fry-nothing to wrote about although not bad value at 50 Rs. My son hated the butter chcken which ended up with lot of bones in an yellowish gravy and the quantity of paneer butter masala and veg fried rice were measly for the price they charged at 80Rs each.

Verdict- Over priced for what you get .

2 Kamalya Restaurant -Alwaye- An old standby. Dont expect luxurious seating but the place offers good value for money. Beef Biriyani was priced a very reasonable 60 Rs and was tasty and had good quantity. Recommended if you are coming to Aluva town but take away may be a better option for families.

3 Hotel Paradise - This is another hotel just before Chimeny and Lullu Mall at Edapally toll (just after KR Bakes towards Lullu). Not bad value at all. My son loved the butter chicken, I liked the fish biriyani (with a good solid portion of seer fish) and in addition the generous portions at similar prices to Chimney made sure that we are not going anywhere near Chimney again. You get far better food than most of the similar offerings at Lullu. Not too sure whether they have a family area. I went with my son and the non ac area was clean enough for both of us for a quickish lunch.

4 Hot food counter at Lullu Hyper market. Avoid the place is my recommendation.Average quality and quantity. They price by weight which I found is misleading and I had a Chinese soya dish preparation (Chilli Soya) which is some of the worst soya I have ever tasted (and I love Soya based preparations).

5 Hotel Sapphire - The old old stand by at Jos Junction in Ernakulam. Wanted to try CBH but they open only at 5 PM during the Ramzan period so turned to this old standby. Went to the AC section upstairs. Loved the food as did my son. Excellent value for money. Fish fry meals at 160 Rs is unlimited rice with seer fish fry. The Kerala parottas at 10 Rs each were big and the chicken tikka masala at 170 Rs had about 8 solid boneless properly cooked chicken tikka pieces with gravy which was not to spicy and which my son absolutely loved. And the quantity in the Paneer Butter Masala which we packed for my wife which was priced at 90 Rs was really generous.

To sum up my experiences

Chimney near Lullu Mall- Although food was tasty as far as the meat dishes are concerned , it is expensive for the prices charged and not Value For Money.

Food counters at Lullu Hyper Market- Average in taste and quantity for what you pay.

Hotel Paradise near Lullu Mall - Excellent Value for Money and tasty as well. Not to sure whether they have a family seating area (but I think they should have one). Honest food at honest prices.

Hotel Sapphire - Jos Junction... The AC restaurant upstairs is fantastic value for the price you pay. Has never let me down whenever I make my way that side.

Hotel Kamalya - Not the best place for a family dine in, but one of the best options for a quick working lunch or a take out at Aluva, a town which has an acute scarcity of good restaurants.
Old 19th August 2013, 00:13   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 cup rice, 2 aloo paratha, 1 bindi pyaz, 1 dal fry and 1 sweet lassi all for just Rs 120/-. All mouthwatering stuff.
Quote:
another one I couldn't try till now is Sharma Punjabi Dhaba en-route from Bakery Jn. to Thampanoor.
Had been to the Sharma Punjabi Dhaba at Aristo Jn, Thampanoor. Dal fry costs 35/-, rice 25/-, papad 8/- and lassi 25/-. A bit higher than the Punjabi Dhaba at Broadway, Ernakulam. Though it was fine, the taste definitely not matching the later. The place is small and lot of daily wage northerners throng the place.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:57   #240
Senior - BHPian

Guys, does anybody have recent updates for a reasonable buffet dinner at Trivandrum? How is Park Rajadhani at Ulloor, anyone?

Last edited by thoma : 18th September 2013 at 13:00.

Most Viewed