Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 16:03   #106
BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Guys i need a suggestion for a good place for lunch in Tripunithura or surrounding ares. thanks
Try MJM Hotel on the way to vytila from pettah. They serve good fish curry meals. Earlier they used to serve only neymeen (seerfish) with their meals but now it's mostly 'motha' or 'vata' etc. I guess the price is Rs.70 for the fish curry meals.

Fish fry (seerfish) is also good, it's priced between Rs.200 (but price will vary with size), but they do serve you a big chunk of fish.

The prawns masala is a must have, priced at Rs.120 or Rs.150.

Beef fry was good but it is not the same these days.

Mama's Restaurant is good for kerala cuisine, though food is on the expensive side. Try their special fish curry (seerfish) or kozhi varathu-aracha curry along with meals.

Have heard their duck roast is also good, but have not tried it.
Old 16th June 2011, 16:10   #107
BHPian

Has anyone tried 'Lokah' near vytilla at nh-47? Their menu is unique, they have delicacies from india/china/thailand/lebanon/parts of europe and steaks and fish & chips etc.

I have tried chinese roast chicken served with rice, which was decent.

Naan and Kadai chicken was pretty acceptable too.

Biriyani was a total let down, will not order the same from there ever again.

If you have tried anything else from their menu, please comment.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

There is a new restaurant I've tried "11to11"(Eleven to Eleven),near Post Office Junction, Muvattupuzha.

Dum Biryani was pretty average. Tandoor Items are good though. The Ambience is perhaps what I liked considering restaurant is in a small town.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:36   #109
BHPian

I got a list of some good restaurants across kerala by mail . This file have the route details as well as the list of dishes for which the restaurent is famous .Hope this will help . Im sorry for my fellow bhpians who dont know malayalam , Will attach the transalated copy later
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eating out - best ones.pdf (309.7 KB, 3428 views)
cijo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 11:32   #110
Senior - BHPian

Is there any good place in Trivandrum where we get 'chaat' items like 'dahi puri' 'pani puri' and north Indian thali meals.

Thinking about the same reminds me of my bachelor life at Cochin where we friends frequented the Gokulam restaurant almost every other night. We loved the food at the Punjabi dhaba on Broadway and though a bit heavy on the pocket, Sarovaram at Vytilla.

Last edited by thoma : 20th June 2012 at 11:42.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:53   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is there any good place in Trivandrum where we get 'chaat' items like 'dahi puri' 'pani puri' and north Indian thali meals.

Thinking about the same reminds me of my bachelor life at Cochin where we friends frequented the Gokulam restaurant almost every other night. We loved the food at the Punjabi dhaba on Broadway and though a bit heavy on the pocket, Sarovaram at Vytilla.
Thoma , you are lucky enough if you live near technopark.

Go to Kazhakkuttam byepass junction, in the bypass look out for Al-abad hotel. In the evenings rite in front of that hotel u will see a chaat wala. Very new this is his first week. i just tried it yesterday.

In the day day time he(Chat wala cart) will be at Attinkuzhi(near toyota showroom) diagonaly opposite to Roma traders.

hope it helps. drive safe.

Foby
Old 20th June 2012, 12:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Go to Kazhakkuttam byepass junction, in the bypass look out for Al-abad hotel. In the evenings rite in front of that hotel u will see a chaat wala. Very new this is his first week. i just tried it yesterday.

In the day day time he(Chat wala cart) will be at Attinkuzhi(near toyota showroom) diagonaly opposite to Roma traders.
Thanks for the tip. This definitely helps on drives towards that side of the city, but I was looking for a restaurant to take my in-laws and family friends.

Will surely try out the chat wala some other time.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:23   #113
BHPian

Quote:

Try in Hotel Gowri Nivas (veg)opposite to medical college main gate.They have a decent A/C room.Go before 8 pm.Be smart in finding a parking space near there.
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:50   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayygeorge View Post
Try in Hotel Gowri Nivas (veg)opposite to medical college main gate.They have a decent A/C room.Go before 8 pm.Be smart in finding a parking space near there.
I'm back from Trivandrum. We skipped Gowri Nivas thinking it was purely south Indian and that it is a hotel near the Medical College. Had been to Arya Nivas (I guess I spelled it right) on the Pattom-Kesavadasapuram stretch and am impressed another time. I love their rawa-dosas. No chaat items though.

Had been to the Ethinic section at Trivandrum Hotel near to old secretariat. Would rate just above average on taste and good on price and ambiance. Had kappa + fish curry and puttu + chicken perattu.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:40   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm back from Trivandrum. We skipped Gowri Nivas thinking it was purely south Indian and that it is a hotel near the Medical College. Had been to Arya Nivas (I guess I spelled it right) on the Pattom-Kesavadasapuram stretch and am impressed another time. I love their rawa-dosas. No chaat items though.

Had been to the Ethinic section at Trivandrum Hotel near to old secretariat. Would rate just above average on taste and good on price and ambiance. Had kappa + fish curry and puttu + chicken perattu.
The one near the Secreteriate is awesome for ethnic stuff , but they are notorious for waiting period.

Just back from cafe mojo @ kuravankonam and I would rate below average for veg dishes.

Any suggestions for tomorrows lunch and dinner?

BTW, KFC is now open at mg road Trivandrum .

Aariaa nivas @ Kazakkuttam (opp. Bismi travels) severs chaattss now.
Old 24th June 2012, 00:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any suggestions for tomorrows lunch and dinner?
If affordable by the pocket and the stomach, buffet at Windsor Rajadhani, between Kowdiar and Ambalamukku was rated by a friend to be good, especially for sea food. @400/- per head. Don't beat me though. I have only second hand information.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am in Trivandrum for 5 days, beginning from today.

Please suggest joints which serves great fish.
Even dingiest of joints will do if the food is good.

Waseem.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

I am in Trivandrum for 5 days, beginning from today.

Please suggest joints which serves great fish.
Even dingiest of joints will do if the food is good.

Waseem.
You are in luck looking for dingy but tasty fish joints Don't miss pathiri, prawns, ayala curry and others from Sagara Restaurant at Vazhuthacad opposite Women's College. Another one is inside Chaala market - Mubarak Hotel. Both serve tasty fish, but both are dingy in my opinion, Sagara better of the two. I hate the lingering smell of fish inside the restaurant. Along with family, we couldn't digest the ambiance at Mubarak and returned back without having lunch. But my friends testify the taste from Mubarak.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are in luck looking for dingy but tasty fish joints
Thanks Thoma.

I will certainly visit Sagara & Mubarak for sure.

Any other Non & Semi-Dingy joints you would like to recommend too.?
Old 26th June 2012, 15:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Any other Non & Semi-Dingy joints you would like to recommend too.?
You may try the ethnic menu at Trivandrum Hotel at Statue or the buffet menu at Windsor Rajadhani as mentioned in few posts above. Not much more idea on fish.

Salwa Dine en-route to Saasthamangalam near Vellayambalam for Arabian style and Biriyani. Buhari Hotel at East Fort (friend's recommendation). Aroma Hotel, en-route to Statue from Bakery Jn for appam and curry. Indrapuri nearby. Ambrosia at Bakery Jn for burgers and cakes. Statue Hotel at Statue for chicken perattu. Ala-carte at Paruthipara for Chineese. Al-Saj at Kazhakoottam is known to serve good food, no personal experience though, but can't go wrong. Zam Zam at Palayam. Sindoor Palace at Kowdiar. These are some I know of for other food.

If you like experimenting, I would suggest a different experience - a thatukada - Iranian at the Vellayambalam Jn. Asianet's program 'Super Chef' have certified it to be good with some variety items, but I've not tried yet. Might be you can let us know too

Edit : Check out the comments at this page and you will get more options. http://www.technoparktoday.com/which...in-trivandrum/

Last edited by thoma : 26th June 2012 at 15:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks