Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 07:03   #1786
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I had submitted my documents at the PSK successfully on Saturday and received a message that my application has been sent to the Police Station for verification. I have not received any communication from the Police regarding this.

I would like to know if I could walk into the Police station and ask them to verify my details.
IMHO, police verification will be done in person by visiting your house and neighbouring houses and enquiring about you. Wait till then.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:50   #1787
BHPian

Just returned from my todays appointment. Till the counter B there were no issues, but in C, the gentleman asked from where am I, my answer was Chennai. He immediately informed i need to apply from Chennai and not from Hyderabad. For which i informed i am working here, he asked which company and i said. He asked me to get a letter from my company that i am staying in Hyderabad. I got a shock and said i have my Aadhar is it not sufficient? He said no.

Now the appointment is rescheduled to day after. Unfortunately this cant be rescheduled and as per passport site, the letter should be a from a public company and a computer generated letter is not entertained. In which age are they?

Mine is a private company and these letters are generated online. What should i do now? Still take the same and produce it?
Old 9th February 2015, 15:21   #1788
Senior - BHPian

As long as the letter generated online is signed and stamped by your HR - scanned copy in your mail will do just fine - you should be ok.
Old 9th February 2015, 19:11   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
As long as the letter generated online is signed and stamped by your HR - scanned copy in your mail will do just fine - you should be ok.
Just checked my old letter and it just has the signature, but no seal. Moreover its mentioned computer generated in it. Not sure what are they gonna say for this.

Doubt - do i need to start over the whole procedures again from token to A to B to C or i will be directly allowed to C, check this letter and let go?
Old 10th February 2015, 12:09   #1790
BHPian

Well we have an appointment tomorrow for my wife's passport renewal. We had been there last month but had to return due to not having the change of name affidavit and newspaper copy.

Is a copy of the whole page of the newspaper (containing the change of name ad) necessary or will only a copy of the relevant portion of that page suffice ?

If the whole page (with date of publication/name etc at the top) required then I will have to take a reduction xerox.
Old 10th February 2015, 13:11   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
I have not received any communication from the Police regarding this.
I would like to know if I could walk into the Police station and ask them to verify my details.
Aiel, as we live in the same area, I think the verification procedure will be the same. You will receive a call from the police station and then, you have to go there with a couple of passport size photographs and all the document proofs. They will fill up the form there itself and ask you to sign. Sometimes, they will give you two forms, which you will have to get filled up by your neighbours. If your's or your spouse's passport is already issued for the current address, this form is usually not required.
Old 11th February 2015, 02:24   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of passports, finally I cleared the A,B and C of the PSK and got my passport renewed !!

Here is some info for people whose passport has been declined in the first appointment.

- Take a next date, so that you can provide documents then. Do it at the counter where your case is put on hold.
- Make sure that you are given a printout of the next date.
- Ensure that the printout contains the Token Number of today's appointment.
- On the next appointment date, show this printout to the security.
- You will be directly allowed inside the waiting hall for counters.
- Handover the printout to any of the PSK guys moving around.
- They would take it to a designated counter so that your file (physical) can be pulled out.
- Once your file is out, a new token number will be issued and you have to go through A, B and C counters as per the process.

My Counter A was done within 10 mins of the token number being issued. The officer here only validated the document which was missing / required from the previous visit.
For Counter B and C, I had to wait for over an hour each. Each of these counters took around 2 mins to verify all the documents.
In total, the time spent at counters was around 8 mins. The total wait time was around 172 mins !!

Interesting Point: I had applied for change of address also, alongwith addition of spouse name. However when I asked the officer at Counter C about the timeline when the police verification would be done, he said police verification not required. I was amazed, but didn't ask any further questions to the officer, incase he changed his mind !!
The only logical reasoning I find is that I had provided 3 years of landline bill (Jan of each year), which showed my tenure at the current house. But that should not suffice to exempt police verification. Nonetheless, I was a happy soul and returned home.
When I got out of the car at home, I saw an sms that my passport was being printed (It was a Friday) !! On Monday I received an sms that my passport was printed and ready for shipping ! On Tuesday I received an sms with the Speed Post tracking details.

Hoping to get my renewed passport today - A Wednesday !!
Old 12th February 2015, 21:02   #1793
BHPian

I got my passport today. I am detailing the process and the timelines below:

Background: My passport is due to expire in June 2015. My previous passport has a US address, as it was issued there, so, I had to update my address (to Bangalore) and also, my marital status.

Online process: I filled out all the details on the passport office website for a normal application. After submitting the completed forms, I made the payment (Rs. 1000) using the portal and was assigned an appointment at the Lalbagh centre on February 19.
The address field on the website accepts only a limited number of characters, so you may not be bale to enter your full address here; however, you can correct the address at the PSK.

Appointment update: I was not very happy with the date and kept a daily watch on the website to see if any earlier appointments open up. Luckily, there was a mela on January 31. I got an appointment in the afternoon at 2.30 in the ORR PSK.

Documents: I had the following self-attested docs ready: My old passport, aadhar card (issued: 10/2013) and my marriage certificate.
As a back-up, I also took my income tax acknowledgement and my wives passport as back-up address proofs.

Day of the appointment: I reached there by around 2 PM and there was a queue around the edge of the building. The queue was according to the time slot. About 15 mins before the time, they started letting people in my time slot into the PSK. There were three counters for performing the first level of filtering and providing the tokens. This took about an hour of standing in the queue in a crowded room, with no AC. I had no issues and got my token number.
There was a wait for my token number to come, but thankfully, I had got my Kindle along. after about 30-45 minutes, my token came up and I went to counter B.
There the lady checked my details, updated the address, collected my prints, photograph and so on. I also made a payment of Rs. 35 for receiving SMS updates of the progress of the application.
There was a wait of about 15 minutes for a final verification of the details at counter B and then it was onto counter C for passport cancellation and document collection. I was out of the office by 5.15, after collecting the receipt from the counter at the exit.
I did not have to use my back-up address proofs during the above process; I only used the aadhar card as the address proof.

Police verification: I received a SMS on Thursday night February 05 from my Police Station asking me to visit the PS, with my age of proof (birth certificate, 10th std pass certificate), 2 copies of my passport, address proof and 2 photographs. All of them have to be self-attested. I went there on Feb. 06 evening, along with the documents. I had to fill out a few forms and I was in and out of there in around 15 minutes, with no greasing hinted or involved.

I received SMS updates that on Feb 09, that my passport has gone for printing, on Feb 10 that it has gone for verification, on Feb 11 that it was couriered and on Feb 12, I received the passport.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:21   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hoping to get my renewed passport today - A Wednesday !!
As expected, I received the passport on Wednesday, around noon.

A guy came with a specially designed packet for passport. He asked me to sign the receipt sheet with the same signature as in passport. He verified my face with that of in the passport.

One thing still surprises me and infact worries me is, he had already opened the sealed packed to do the verification. Ideally, I should have opened it, and he could have done the verification, or atleast he should have opened it in front of me.

Nevertheless, while leaving he said "tea-coffee". I said "Laters", and he left.
Apparantly, it is our (Indians') birthright to demand some form of bribe.
Old 13th February 2015, 07:47   #1795
BHPian

Finally I passed the second time at the PSK. The token was re-issued along with my earlier file. The company proof was scanned, uploaded in the system and the physical copy attached to my file in counter A
Wait was tiresome in counter B, where they again verified the company letter and marriage certificate
Same amount of wait time was there in counter C, no frills and the same guy who asked from the company letter took my file and showed the way to exit.

I am yet to receive any kind of SMS regarding my passport. Fingers crossed.

P.S: End of the day, it all depends upon the counter and the mood of the officers
Old 18th February 2015, 21:20   #1796
BHPian

I had a query about Annexure F. As per the passport office website, the following people, among others, are authorized to issue the verification certificate.

(iv) A District Superintendent of Police, DIG/IG/DGP of the district of residence of applicant.
(vii) All members of any All India Service or Central Service who are equivalent to or above the rank of an Under Secretary to the Government, i.e. with Grade pay of Rs.6,600/- and above.

My understanding of (vii) is that any IAS/IPS officer should be able to issue this (regardless of state/district).

Is there any requirement that the IAS/IPS officer needs to belong to the same state or district as the present address? I googled on this and was not able to find a conclusive answer.

I have been asked to come back with Annexure F and Annexure I for re-issue under Tatkal. Any pointers/experiences on the above would help. Thanks

Last edited by sajidclt : 18th February 2015 at 21:21. Reason: Removed Bold
Old 18th February 2015, 23:03   #1797
BHPian

Congrats and thanks for sharing the details. I'm surprised to see the treatment at the police station. Which one did you go to ?

Quote:
I had to fill out a few forms and I was in and out of there in around 15 minutes, with no greasing hinted or involved.
Old 19th February 2015, 00:18   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
(iv) A District Superintendent of Police, DIG/IG/DGP of the district of residence of applicant.
(vii) All members of any All India Service or Central Service who are equivalent to or above the rank of an Under Secretary to the Government, i.e. with Grade pay of Rs.6,600/- and above.

My understanding of (vii) is that any IAS/IPS officer should be able to issue this (regardless of state/district).
No need of even that. Look at this one.

(ix) Concerned Tehsildars or concerned SHOs for an applicant staying in the area under his/her jurisdiction.

In other words go to your local police station and have the inspector in charge (station house officer) endorse the annexure F.

DSP / DG etc senior IPS officer of the district in which you reside is an option. Other than that under secretary to govt ranked officials can be from anywhere if you happen to know one.
Old 19th February 2015, 07:48   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing the details. I'm surprised to see the treatment at the police station. Which one did you go to ?
Saju, I had to visit the Hulimavu PS.

When I had gone for my wife's passport two years back, I was asked to come back alone the next day (without wife and kid) and had to make a payment.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:03   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
No need of even that. Look at this one.

(ix) Concerned Tehsildars or concerned SHOs for an applicant staying in the area under his/her jurisdiction.

In other words go to your local police station and have the inspector in charge (station house officer) endorse the annexure F.

DSP / DG etc senior IPS officer of the district in which you reside is an option. Other than that under secretary to govt ranked officials can be from anywhere if you happen to know one.
SHO is an option but since my permanent address is in Bangalore, I am not sure where it is hassle free. If it were at my home town, I would have preferred that option. Since I personally know an IPS officer currently posted in another state, it would be the easiest option for me.

However, (iv) and (vii) seem to lend room to contradict itself a bit. As per (iv), a senior IPS (or police) officer from the district of residence is needed. As per (vii), any IPS officer above rank DSP (equivalent rank of under secretary) should suffice.

I checked with the toll free number and they said that any IPS officer should do with the disclaimer that the passport office has the final say in case of documents. As there is room for different interpretations, I want to be doubly sure regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks