Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 11:32   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I want to renew my passport. But the problem is I am based out of Calcutta now and the passport was issued in Hyderabad. Is it necessary that I have to physically visit Hyd to get it renewed?

I called an agent here in Calcutta and he clearly told me that it cannot be renewed through Cal passport office. Can anyone guide me on this? I have an upcoming travel in April 1st week and I have to get the renewed passport by then
You do not have much time (it takes upto two months at times). Apply immediately. If your permanent address is in Hyderabad, then there is no problem, else you have to apply for change of address, which should be possible in Kolkata. The best course would be to visit the Kolkata passport office and have a talk with the PRO or the Passport officer.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:15   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You do not have ....PRO or the Passport officer.
Thanks, Aroy, I will take my chances and see what can be done.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:25   #183
BHPian

I dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but here goes. I had got my Passport in 1999, the way i looked back then at 15 is quite different from now. Infact In New Zealand the immigrations officer gave me a look of concern with the passport in his hand. What is the procedure to change the photograph on the passport? how long does it take and what are the costs involved?
Old 19th February 2011, 18:05   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
I dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but here goes. I had got my Passport in 1999, the way i looked back then at 15 is quite different from now. Infact In New Zealand the immigrations officer gave me a look of concern with the passport in his hand. What is the procedure to change the photograph on the passport? how long does it take and what are the costs involved?
A normal passport issued in 1999 should be expired by now. Do you have a 20 yr passport? If that is the case, please change it to a new passport as that passport is not valid for travel to many countries including EU and US. You can apply for a re-issue.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
A normal passport issued in 1999 should be expired by now. Do you have a 20 yr passport? If that is the case, please change it to a new passport as that passport is not valid for travel to many countries including EU and US. You can apply for a re-issue.
wow!!! that is news to me. Mine is 20 year validity passport. I had recently traveled to New Zealand, Australia but didnot face any problem. Only issue they had was with the photograph. Will check it up with the passport office though.
Old 20th February 2011, 09:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow!!! that is news to me. Mine is 20 year validity passport. I had recently traveled to New Zealand, Australia but didnot face any problem. Only issue they had was with the photograph. Will check it up with the passport office though.
Yes Vasoo is correct. Nowdays for EU and US only 10 year validity passports would be accepted. You will need to get a new passport with 10 year validity if you plan/wish to travel to these places in near future.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:59   #187
Senior - BHPian

Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport. but there is no stamping in the new passport about a valid visa in the old passport.
Had to pay 30/- to the postmaster
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:41   #188
BHPian

thanks vasoo and joslicx!!!

Just got an e-mail from the R.P.O, Ahmedabad to get the validity of my passport changed to 10 years immediately. Have been calling up the R.P.O but no calls are being answered. I have maied the R.P.O for the procedure to carry out the necessary procedures, still waiting for a revert.

meanwhile, can somebody please tell me under which category will my application be accepted-re-issue/renewal/miscellaneous category.
and what would be the time taken for this procedure and the costs involved?
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:55   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I want to renew my passport. But the problem is I am based out of Calcutta now and the passport was issued in Hyderabad. Is it necessary that I have to physically visit Hyd to get it renewed?

I called an agent here in Calcutta and he clearly told me that it cannot be renewed through Cal passport office. Can anyone guide me on this? I have an upcoming travel in April 1st week and I have to get the renewed passport by then
A passport can be renewed anywhere in the country irrespective of where the passport was issued from.

I had my previous passport issued at Cochin but my new passport has now been issued from Hyd.

All that you need to do at Kolkota is to submit your forms,alongwith your new address proof and it would be accepted.There is no need for you to travel to Hyd for whatever reasons.For an April travel,it would be sensible to apply under Tatkal wherein you should get the passport in a week to 10 days time.There is no need to go through agents generally,you could do it directly,more transparent atleast.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport. but there is no stamping in the new passport about a valid visa in the old passport.
There will be no stamp about visas. You just need to carry both passports together.

Quote:
meanwhile, can somebody please tell me under which category will my application be accepted-re-issue/renewal/miscellaneous category.
and what would be the time taken for this procedure and the costs involved?
Just apply for a reissue. Follow the same procedure of getting a new passport instead of an expired one. I think the fees is Rs 1000 for Normal process.

Btw, I got both my family passports renewed and delivered today. The process took less than one month.

Last edited by vasoo : 2nd March 2011 at 13:49.
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:06   #191
Senior - BHPian

There is news in the today's TOI, Mumbai that the passport application collections will be outsourced to TCS. One ambitious plan to make the passport office paperless. TCS would be responsible for accepting/scanning the applications with correct documents however scrutiny of the documents would be done at the passport offices itself. A helpline to check the status is in the offing. The exact plan of action is yet to be known. Would this impact the applicants, I think so. Since the applicant would not know whether the documents submitted are accepted by the passport office, TCS acceptance does not matter.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:12   #192
BHPian

currently, passport seva kendras started in Mangalore, Bangalore and probably chandigarh accept online applications and the document submission/verification is against an appointment taken online. This has made passport applivation fairly easier. I applied in Mangalore for my Uncle and Aunt and this was a very simple procedure. However, this is available only in the cities mentioned.

The TCS outsourcing for passport application IMHO would initially be started in the capital cities and only then move on to the smaller cities.

Does the report mention anything about when this project would be implemented?
Old 14th March 2011, 18:15   #193
BHPian

Hi all,

I am from Bangalore and I want to renew my passport by applying online. In addition to renewal I also wish to change the address and include my wife's name. Original passport was issued from Chennai.

My queries:

1) Being from Tamil Nadu where it is not common to expand the person's last name, all my documents (address proof, marriage certificate, degree certificate) carry just my initial as the last name (However, my passport has my full name). Will this be a problem when I renew?

I am asking because recently I had submitted an application to inform change of address for my PAN card (which lists my full name with expanded initials). The address proof that I submitted (telephone bill) had my first name and last name initial only. My application was rejected stating that the last name in my PAN card does not match the address proof.

2) Passport online application address field: I am not able to cram my address into the form, it is just too short! Only 36 characters allowed for house number and street name, but just my flat number + apartment name fills this up. I do not have any space to enter street name and locality. I assume this is the address that will get printed in the passport. Any workarounds? Also, the form asks for the police station. Does the police station name also appear as part of your address in the passport?

Thanks!
Old 18th March 2011, 12:48   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport.
Regarding the old damaged passport which has the lamination on the last page peeled off, would it be OK if I staple the damaged section? Will there be nay questioning/consequences of doing so? Just dont want any further problems with the old passport since I will be needing to carry it along with the new passport as it has a valid visa stamping. BHPains advise.
Old 18th March 2011, 13:12   #195
BHPian

I have renewed my passport recently from Bangalore and I had to change my address, add my spouse's name and also cancel ECR. Please find my answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
My queries:

1) Being from Tamil Nadu where it is not common to expand the person's last name, all my documents (address proof, marriage certificate, degree certificate) carry just my initial as the last name (However, my passport has my full name). Will this be a problem when I renew?
This is not a problem. Mine is also the same. In India, 99% of times, your initials are not expanded, even in official documents. So, this should not cause any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
2) Passport online application address field: I am not able to cram my address into the form, it is just too short! Only 36 characters allowed for house number and street name, but just my flat number + apartment name fills this up. I do not have any space to enter street name and locality. I assume this is the address that will get printed in the passport. Any workarounds? Also, the form asks for the police station. Does the police station name also appear as part of your address in the passport?
Thanks!
The address written should be legible but you can use abbreviations (eg: Bannerghatta Road to BG Rd.) Once you are at the PSK, you can make slight modifications to the address and they will show you how your details will look in the passport (preview).
The police station has to be mentioned for police verification. The police station name/place will not appear in your passport.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed