Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 12:41   #1501
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Thank you once again Raj. Excellent info to get started. Car wont be needed immediately and we are advising him against buying it now with the current salary. Things should improve over a few years and then he can consider it. As of now, we will advice him for just basic needs and try and locate house such that the travel can be easily maintained by public transport.
Old 16th May 2020, 20:08   #1502
BHPian

Sorry if it seems at a high level.

I always wanted to settle in a developed and English speaking nation. I am open to any of the countries on our planet. Preference are to those who welcome foreigners and have great culture.

On the list of choosing countries, we have Canada, Australia, UK and USA.

Canada seems easiest to immigrate.
While my points through express entry fall short for Permanent residency, But we can always go for study program and get work permit. Both will add points.

Another option is to apply for PR and apply for PNP. Being an IT analyst, there might be chances. I am unaware of it and interested to know more; the concrete experience of getting PR.

For other countries, I will have to go to University. I am okay studying again but I am not sure if I choose for Spring or Fall intake, one year or two year programme and the right course to get me a job, eventually the permanent residency status.

Some personal background:- I am single with four years of experience in IT. Chill to do anything (legitimately )

Any Advise or tips and a reference to immigration guide will help.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 18:32   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Sorry if it seems at a high level.

I always wanted to settle in a developed and English speaking nation. I am open to any of the countries on our planet. Preference are to those who welcome foreigners and have great culture.

-------------
procrastinator, Presume you have gone through the previous pages?
If not, please do so - it is a treasure trove of information from people for / against migration as well as firsthand experiences.

Your greatest advantage is that you are very young & single and so can take big risks.

If you think you have a chance of getting a PR straightaway in Canada, then that is your best bet. This is because the immigration rules & skills priorities will keep on changing and even if you do a PG course that seems a sure way of getting PR, things could be quite different down the track when you complete your course.

I know of several Indian students in Australia who were unsuccessful in getting their PR and so had to return back to India - this was not after doing some Mickey Mouse TAFE (vocational training) course in hairdressing, cooking etc., but after doing their 2 year masters from good universities here (and even one after 6 years of UG+PG). One brilliant girl who did a masters in Biotechnology from top-ranked University of Melbourne and who was working in a reputed pharma multinational got her PR rejected as she was working in a support role and not as a scientist!

Needless to say, the impact of Covid-19 would be dramatic. The developed countries have had their economies trashed. As someone was saying, China won World War III without firing a single shot!

In Australia, for e.g. the official unemployment figure (a joke as you are considered employed even if you work just ONE hour a week!) has only moved from 5% to 6%, but about 6.5 million people out of a workforce of 13 million are currently getting government support of some kind (including the new JobKeeper scheme where the govt pays $1,500 a fortnight to employees via their employers - thus preventing mass sackings). So the real unemployment figure has been estimated to be 20-25%! And this in a country where there has been only 100 Covid-19 deaths - so imagine the impact on US, UK etc.

So, if you can get a direct PR asap, then that is your best bet.
Don't go after any agents / consultants - you have all the resources you need in the government websites plus so many country-specific immigration forums & chat rooms plus any number of YouTube videos on Indian emigration experiences. As always knowledge is power - the more you research, the more confident you will be on your final decision. Good Luck!
LTAutoMad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 20:21   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As pointed out there is a lot of information in this thread and I would strongly suggest reading through all of it.

The most important question is why do you want to settle abroad? I suggest you really need to define that, or you might make the wrong choices

I suggest you do a lot of reading up on the culture and the “welcome to foreigners” in the four countries of your choosing. I am not that familiar with Canada, but from first hand experience I would say that Australia, the UK and the USA are not particularly welcome to foreigners at all and it has become worse over the last few years.

Just to be blunt, if you are not white, you are likely to be at a disadvantage to start with.

UK with their Brexiteers is completely biast against all foreigners. Irrespective of where you come from, your background, ethnicity etc. They will only allow folks in they can’t do without and they will charge them through the nose to enter.

We lived in the UK and until recently had several properties as we thought at some point in time we want to retire in the UK. We have given up on that dream. I am Dutch and I was getting nasty comments in shops and from neighbours. So we sold the lot.

Australia, at face value, looks inviting, but unfortunately are also a nation of racist against non-whites. A very good friend of ours, a neurologist moved to Australia some years ago. His partner, also a doctor is from Indonesia. I could not believe what she had to put up with. They moved to three different cities, but have now decided to come back. She always felt put down, looked down upon, not taken serious. And that was on a good day. On a bad day she would have to listen to abuse behind her back in the supermarket, or sometimes straight into her voice.

USA has Trump and again that has improved the average sentiment of Americans towards immigrants. We lived in the USA for three years, some time ago. During the Obama years. The general approach to foreigners has not improved since then.

I would say the last five years, the attitude toward foreigners in many parts of the world has declined. Not being from European/Western/White descent is likely to make matters worse.

Of course, there are always those that succeed. You use the term ’settle’ so I assume you really want to make one of these countries your home for the foreseeable future, if not your life.

Make sure you do plenty of research, get in touch with your fellow country man in these countries to get insight on what they like / don’t like. What are the best places to live / work etc.

Some of that is available in this very thread.
But again, be honest about what you want in life. There are two main reasons why people emigrate. One reason is that they are not satisfied with their life in their own country. The other reason is they genuinely want to have a materially different life from their life in the home country.

Statistically the firs group does not do well, or at least will face many issues integrating in a new home country. At best they will find a way of living amongst country man abroad.

The second group is much more successful, because they are pursuing a very positive dream, rather then to walk away from being dissatisfied with what you have.

Truth be told, the most successful emigrants are very often folks that were successful in their own right in their own home country, but made a conscious decision to re-set everything in their life and start again abroad.

Good luck and all the best with your endeavours.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 22:38   #1505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I would say the last five years, the attitude toward foreigners in many parts of the world has declined. Not being from European/Western/White descent is likely to make matters worse.
While what you are saying is true, not everyone has the same sensibilities towards what locals think about them.

I left USA in 2004 and returned to India because I was sensitive to the things you were describing. Meanwhile, I knew lots of Indians who either didn't care because of better lifestyle or were simply oblivious to the disapproval from the locals. The latter category only mixed with people from their state/culture, and didn't even consider joining the great melting pot. For them racism is not a factor at all.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 23:53   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UK with their Brexiteers is completely biast against all foreigners. Irrespective of where you come from, your background, ethnicity etc. They will only allow folks in they can’t do without and they will charge them through the nose to enter.
For many years, immigration has been an election issue, and it is targeted by the gutter press, which seems to be the major electoral influence.

In more recent times, Britain has had, officially, a hostile-environment towards immigration. Brexit has brought attitudes back into the open that I thought were gone decades ago. Not so: and I'm ashamed.

... A Brit.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 01:11   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While what you are saying is true, not everyone has the same sensibilities towards what locals think about them.

I left USA in 2004 and returned to India because I was sensitive to the things you were describing. Meanwhile, I knew lots of Indians who either didn't care because of better lifestyle or were simply oblivious to the disapproval from the locals. The latter category only mixed with people from their state/culture, and didn't even consider joining the great melting pot. For them racism is not a factor at all.
Having followed you from your active days in R2Iclub forum, I can say that you have experienced both countries extensively.

It is human nature that personal truths hold a lot more value than statistical truths, and then - objective truths. If you consider the average work environment, salaries, and lifestyle, of the tech industry, they are objectively very different from what a blue collar worker has to go through. The people they interact with, and their experience in general. Example - https://insights.dice.com/2020/05/19...20-still-high/
What these salaries mean to the life of an Indian immigrant, and the tradeoff made is very personal. Sometimes I mention in jest, that in the tech enclaves of CA, there is reverse racism. People tend to think local white American people are good for sales, marketing and business dev, and engineering is just filled with all races.

Now is there overt racism on a statistical basis in the US? Absolutely. In the Trump era people wear it proudly on their head. I have lived 20+ years in the same city in the US. That's a majority of my adult life. Even after the accent neutralization courses I have taken, my South Indian English accent stands out, and I still identify myself as a first gen Indian immigrant. Do 100% of the locals approve an immigrant, or approve of being led by one? Perhaps not. For that matter, do 100% of people approve of any lead, regardless of race? Perhaps not. As you mentioned, I choose to not seek that statistical truth. I choose to move on to be productive and contribute to the community I live in.

The first few years, I was in an opportunistic mode. Make hay while the sun shines, and return back to India. Once I called my city home, I started thinking very differently. I have been a part of several different non profits in my community, from cleaning up lakes and beaches, fixing computers for the poor /elderly, and running non profits for public schools. Through these, I have formed long lasting friendships with all kinds of people, the sweetest CA natives, and tons of immigrants - including elementary school classmates from Bangalore who live here in my city, my brother, & my blood relatives. So, when I go through a hurtful situation, I rely on a huge support framework to fall back on. That alone makes the immigrant experience really pleasant. I have lived in Stuttgart for a year before moving to the US, and I did not feel this much at ease there.

The world is not perfect, and humans are far from perfect. I still think US is a beautiful melting pot. A melting pot of varied types of immigrant experiences, and cultures.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 21st May 2020 at 01:14.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 01:37   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Having followed you from your active days in R2Iclub forum, I can say that you have experienced both countries extensively.
The world is not perfect, and humans are far from perfect. I still think US is a beautiful melting pot. A melting pot of varied types of immigrant experiences, and cultures.
A very well articulated post, I must say and relate to it very clearly.

And what I have understood from my friends/colleagues, the ability to integrate into local culture in the US is much higher that any other geography. Yes, where you stay, which city, what you do, where you work all has a role to play. But in the end, it is upon us make the most effort to get accepted. Compare this to how one fine day, you see a new resident in your building who moved from another part of India?
mmxylorider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:33   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
My first post here. Does it make sense to think to go live outside India now that i'm already 30 and unmarried?
I'm in a similar boat, although 5 years younger and in the US now. Here's some advice given to me: "Take the PR. If you don't like it after a few years, you can move back to India."

Timing is critical- immigration systems favor younger people as they contribute more (and longer) to the economy in jobs and taxes.
Quote:

Canada seems easiest to immigrate.
While my points through express entry fall short for Permanent residency, But we can always go for study program and get work permit. Both will add points.

Another option is to apply for PR and apply for PNP. Being an IT analyst, there might be chances. I am unaware of it and interested to know more; the concrete experience of getting PR.
You and I seem to be the same age (give or take )

After a Master's degree and a year of work experience, I've realized that USA isn't particularly immigrant friendly like it used to be pre-2000s. Different story if you're extraordinarily skilled or have a PhD with a high standing in the academic community. I've alse heard good things about NZ. I'm not too sure about the UK and I've heard about racism in Australia from a cousin.

Regarding Canada, I think the time is NOW from all the research I'm doing. Read up more on the PNP for OINP(Ontario Immigrant Nominee program) and BCPNP(British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program.) They have revised their target for 2021 and 2022. Who knows what comes after that?

Hope that helps. Cheers.
p.s. As others mentioned, read page 97 onward to get an better understanding.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 2nd September 2020 at 07:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:50   #1510
BHPian

If an English speaking nation is what one is targeting, the USA at this time should be at the bottom. With lot of unpredictability around immigration and visa renewals, it's not worth the hassle of disrupting your life and being in limbo for a long time. I would recommend Canada as the place to explore. With the right scores a PR can be obtained in under 6 months!
mmxylorider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 09:44   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to be blunt, if you are not white, you are likely to be at a disadvantage to start with.

We lived in the UK and until recently had several properties as we thought at some point in time we want to retire in the UK. We have given up on that dream. I am Dutch and I was getting nasty comments in shops and from neighbours. So we sold the lot.
With Brexit what's the status of European Nationals wanting to live and work in the UK. I know that those already working there before Brexit get PR but about someone who want to move now.
Old 1st February 2021, 12:57   #1512
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
With Brexit what's the status of European Nationals wanting to live and work in the UK. I know that those already working there before Brexit get PR but about someone who want to move now.
As per the new agreement:
Quote:
People from the EU wanting to move to the UK for a long-term stay or work - meaning more than six months - will need to meet the migration conditions set out by the UK government, including applying for a visa.
Quote:
EU citizens can visit the UK for up to six months without needing a visa. EU citizens will need to present a valid passport to visit the UK
Source: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/...ill-affect-you

Last edited by AZT : 1st February 2021 at 12:59.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:01   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In essence, you will need to apply for a visa and a work permit. They have very strict rules who can work in the UK, there are limited work permits/visa available and they have introduced a point system on entry criteria. So you need to have certain skills, education, income etc. They had to make exceptions immediately, as for instance nurses and old people carer type of jobs did not make the criteria and the NHS relies heavily on foreigners in those sort of jobs.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:28   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In essence, you will need to apply for a visa and a work permit. They have very strict rules who can work in the UK, there are limited work permits/visa available and they have introduced a point system on entry criteria. So you need to have certain skills, education, income etc. They had to make exceptions immediately, as for instance nurses and old people carer type of jobs did not make the criteria and the NHS relies heavily on foreigners in those sort of jobs.

Jeroen
So basically EU Nationals have to follow the same rules for Visas and Work Permits? Was just asking as I have the option to collect my Portuguese Passport. I had never though of Emigrating as I'm anyway sailing for half the year. Wanted to move elsewhere for the sake of our son. My wife is keen on UK because of the language and she spent some time with me when I was studying there.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:32   #1515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So basically EU Nationals have to follow the same rules for Visas and Work Permits? .
Correct, all foreign nationals follow the same rules I believe

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks