Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2019, 10:20   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Most pathetic and vile posts by a member I have ever read on this forum.
If you have no respect for your fellow Indians, what the hell are you doing here on Indian Automotive forum.
There are enough forum "Gora" Forums for you spread your disgusting bile on.
D33-PAC wouldn't get the welcome in such forums. Unfortunately he reminds me of a college batchmate who moved to the UK on a work visa about 12 years ago, and recently got the citizenship. Within a year of that, he started actively posting negative things about (illegal) immigrants and reposting Trump-ian and pro-brexit messages in FB. A few of us tried to explain to him the hypocrisy in the views and how to the core group/rest, he himself would be considered part of the other side at a drop of a hat. But all on deaf ears. I see the same case here. Only time will teach.

Funny how the original argument was about not glorifying a trucking profession article, but the true emotions came out much clearer in later posts.
Old 6th July 2019, 10:24   #1367
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Wow. Some people on this forum truly belong to the British era. I for one am happy that such self confessed elitists reside 12 hrs behind us. I would not want them anywhere near where I live.

I have a lot of friends who work on so called 'White collared' jobs in the US of A. And if one thing stands out, its how some of them think they are priggish enough to talk down on their fellow brethren. You would not find this kind of behaviour with other country men. No wonder we were looked down by many for so long. And so called elitists gladly join hands with them.

Anyway, to each his own. I for one is glad that some people rise out of such self proposed elitism to work hard and earn a wage honestly. Kudos to all those truckers. Going by how Sardarji truckers carry themselves in India, I am sure they would win hearts abroad as well.

Dignity of labour. Dont know when the elitists will learn. And keep boasting that their 'foren' earned degree automatically elevates them to the so called 'upper strata' of society

Peace!!!

Last edited by racer_ash : 6th July 2019 at 10:26.
Old 6th July 2019, 11:00   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Time and again I see Desis who climb high up the corporate ladder use condescending words and body language with security guards, admins, couriers, & cleaning crew.
You hit the nail on the head with this statement. And that's exactly whats wrong with D33-PAC - He obviously has some insecurity issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
At that moment I realized he had no idea of knowing I came from a well off family . Only after I answered I was flying from the US to Dubai he let his guard off and accepted me with open arms proverbially .

Suit yourself, but the goras, I , and the rest of the world the same opinion.
Maybe the problem is with you!! I've traveled multiple times in 1st and Business class and have never received this treatment. You maybe try to hard to be something you are not!

Also I think it's just you, with some form of inferiority complex or insecurity and the small minority that feels like that. In the all 'white' organisation that i was employed with (and still have closes ties) not a single person had this opinion! I studied in the UK (from a young age) and worked there for any years, still visit the USA almost every 2 years and not once have I met the 'Majority Goras' that think like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_babushka View Post
My friend, thank you for clarifying. I understand now after going through your flurry of posts where your racist, casteist, deeply prejudiced mindset comes from. I feel empathy for you and do hope that you will eventually see yourself for who you really are.
Man, you are way to kind and nice!

Quote:
Lol whatever .

My own school principal told my class not to come to school dressed like a truck driver which was beratinff of the profession .

Now I’m being handed verbal assaults for something that is deeply ingrained in indian society .
Yeah, I think the problem is your upbringing and nothing else! You can belittle a profession, country or cast as much as you want - It only makes you smaller!

Now go away from here, like you have repeatedly said!
Old 6th July 2019, 11:03   #1369
BANNED

Re: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
D33-PAC wouldn't get the welcome in such forums. Unfortunately he reminds me of a college batchmate who moved to the UK on a work visa about 12 years ago, and recently got the citizenship. Within a year of that, he started actively posting negative things about (illegal) immigrants and reposting Trump-ian and pro-brexit messages in FB. A few of us tried to explain to him the hypocrisy in the views and how to the core group/rest, he himself would be considered part of the other side at a drop of a hat. But all on deaf ears. I see the same case here. Only time will teach.

Funny how the original argument was about not glorifying a trucking profession article, but the true emotions came out much clearer in later posts.
Nice fantasy. I recently drove a Porsche across an American state and white folks at gas stations where I stopped to fill my vehicle were very receptive . One fellow liked me so much he added me on phone.

You’re a radical painting the world an such to justify your views . You should open your eyes more. Indians wouldn’t have reached very high echelons abroad if it wasn’t true .
Old 6th July 2019, 11:25   #1370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dude , I’ll be blunt with you.

Suit yourself, but the goras, I , and the rest of the world the same opinion.
Extremely interesting comments! And to be blunt with you, the problem is not those blue collared workers, truck drivers, or any other Indians who work on those jobs which you see as low-level. The problem is yourself, that too at multiple levels!
The picture I get from your comments is of someone who got misguided by a school principal at childhood, and someone who is fighting the prejudice inside for not being treated as equals to the whites and is crying inside for being born Indian. As an Indian living abroad for around 18 years I can safely say that the treatment you received in a business class flight probably was attributed to your behaviour and not something to do with the staff’s attitude to Indians in general.

If any educated, well-informed human being (white, black or any race) read your comments, or know your thoughts on this matter, they surely will be appalled by your thoughts and probably will distance themselves from you. One of my American colleague was in Singapore recently – not sure if she is Harvard educated, but she heads a business function in our organisation and was commenting how many of these workers have contributed in building her nation; more of respect and not tarnishing them as low-level or undignified.

Please don’t get chained in your education and pseudo-superiority wisdom – open your eyes and see the world!
Old 6th July 2019, 12:02   #1371
BHPian

Wow, like someone said, we learn something new everyday.

Let me tell you something, people who are really capable have stayed in India or returned and BUILT success here. Simple reason, competition is crazy here and business environment is tough.

Sundar P and Satya N and the likes became rockstar CEOs but all desi NRIs started thinking they are of same caliber.

White collar emigrants have taken the easy way out. They have gone abroad for a luxurious life or an improvement on a already-decent life or away from India's problems.

90% of such people will be masaccered professionally if they come and work in India. Have seen too many such Desi's who think they are better coz they have worked in USA or UK. And then, we work on a case, one sees how they work - quality and productivity both sub par, only good knowledge is about baseball and best way to snag good deals on shopping.

Check how easy it's to get into Booth compared to the top 10 full time MBA program in India. It isn't even funny. Nowadays one can literally buy a top school MBA admit in USA.

Blue collar chaps are struggling here too, why stop them from making a livelihood. And if they embarrass you, then come create jobs for them in India.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2019 at 12:50. Reason: Cleaning up the thread. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2019, 12:13   #1372
Team-BHP Support

A majority of Indians living in India do practice this kind of discrimination, and some are forced to carry that baggage no matter where you finally settle down.

However, countries that were primarily settled by immigrants (USA, Canada, Australia) don't have this culture, unless the immigrants bring it with them. In the 20th century, upward mobility was quite common. In fact, it was called the American dream. It has stopped working after the Reagan era once the finance industry took over and drastically raised the income inequality.

Since I mainly lived in US in the 90s, I have experienced how barriers between classes was not clear cut. Even well to do people would have flipped burgers, cleaned tables at restaurants, worked a paper route in the morning in their younger years. This made them understand and empathize with people doing such hard labour. One of my manager had worked as a carpenter prior to switching to software development.

BTW, the most famous/feared politician (AOC) now in USA used to work as bar tender until a year ago. Her mother was a house cleaner and school-bus driver.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2019 at 12:50. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 13:30   #1373

Once upon a time a monkey ventured out of the forest that has been his home for a long time. He haven't,until then seen, anything outside his forest. He then came across a fair in town and was deeply fascinated by the celebrations and the merry making going around. He in particular was fascinated by the fancily dressed humans. One of them even bought him a pair of fancy red pants. He walked around the fair so proud of himself in his new fancy red pants . He felt like he was one among them.

Everywhere he went he was being showered with treats. While roaming he accidentally ventured into a house of mirrors.Having not seen a mirror before, he didn't understand what it was. He was shocked seeing so many monkeys all around him. They all seemed to be wearing fancy red pants. He was now worried if these other monkeys will take away the attention he was enjoying from humans. In an effort to shoo them away, he started throwing his faeces at them. They also started doing the same. He was disgusted by their action. Meanwhile some people noticed the monkey throwing faeces and complained to the manager.

The manager then came with a stick and started beating the monkey black and blue. The monkey tried to point to the manager it was the other monkeys making the place dirty but the manager continued to beat him till he ran away from the fair. He ran back to forest cursing the other monkeys that made him lose his new wonderful home.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2019 at 20:19. Reason: Splitting the post to paragraphs for better readability. Thanks.
TheRealStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 13:41   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I am elitist . My father worked for IBM . My sister attends the Booth School of Business which is one of the best American universities on earth. She’s dating a Harvard MBA. I myself have a degree from a reputed American university . I think my reaction was natural given my background.

2. I don’t really know how accurate your second paragraph is. If that were the case TCS, Infosys, Wipro and the IT behemoths would’ve been out of business a long time ago.

Lastly the US was different for a long time than other sorts of Indian destinations for migration. It was different from the Gulf for example due to its the kind of caliber it took to find a decent job. That’s why all Indians were respected in an american context unlike Dubai where people think Indians are taxi drivers or cooks.

I suspect the dimming of Indian would occur one which I take a strong objection to because I have to be associated with the same boat .

Before you try to morally police me, don’t forget the reason TRUMP won is for the reasons I stated. There is an overwhelming amount of negative sentiment towards migration and the they took out jobs rhetoric.

My opinion despite its bitterness is more or less aligned with the opinion of the locals . What I said is actually endorsed by the local populace.
1. If the local populace was happy putting in the hard work that goes into driving trucks, why would there be any demand for Indians/Latin Americans in trucking jobs? Am I missing anything here?

2. If you feel insulted by Indians earning a honest living by doing what you seem to consider bad for India's image, it's just sad.

I may have nothing substantial to contribute to this discussion but couldn't stop myself from butting in with support for people making a honest living.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 6th July 2019 at 13:51.
Old 6th July 2019, 16:46   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealStig View Post
Once upon a time a monkey ventured out of the forest that has been his home for a long time. He haven't,until then seen, anything outside his forest. He then came across a fair in town and was deeply fascinated by the celebrations and the merry making going around. He in particular was fascinated by the fancily dressed humans. One of them even bought him a pair of fancy red pants. He walked around the fair so proud of himself in his new fancy red pants . He felt like he was one among them. Everywhere he went he was being showered with treats. While roaming he accidentally ventured into a house of mirrors.Having not seen a mirror before, he didn't understand what it was. He was shocked seeing so many monkeys all around him. They all seemed to be wearing fancy red pants. He was now worried if these other monkeys will take away the attention he was enjoying from humans. In an effort to shoo them away, he started throwing his faeces at them. They also started doing the same. He was disgusted by their action. Meanwhile some people noticed the monkey throwing faeces and complained to the manager. The manager then came with a stick and started beating the monkey black and blue. The monkey tried to point to the manager it was the other monkeys making the place dirty but the manager continued to beat him till he ran away from the fair. He ran back to forest cursing the other monkeys that made him lose his new wonderful home.
.. I understand that mods are against such meaningless posts, but couldn't help myself ;-)
Old 6th July 2019, 17:57   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once upon a time a monkey ventured out of the forest that has been his home for a long time. He haven't,until then seen, anything outside his forest. He then came across a fair in town and was deeply fascinated by the celebrations and the merry making going around. He in particular was fascinated by the fancily dressed humans. One of them even bought him a pair of fancy red pants. He walked around the fair so proud of himself in his new fancy red pants . He felt like he was one among them. Everywhere he went he was being showered with treats. While roaming he accidentally ventured into a house of mirrors.Having not seen a mirror before, he didn't understand what it was. He was shocked seeing so many monkeys all around him. They all seemed to be wearing fancy red pants. He was now worried if these other monkeys will take away the attention he was enjoying from humans. In an effort to shoo them away, he started throwing his faeces at them. They also started doing the same. He was disgusted by their action. Meanwhile some people noticed the monkey throwing faeces and complained to the manager. The manager then came with a stick and started beating the monkey black and blue. The monkey tried to point to the manager it was the other monkeys making the place dirty but the manager continued to beat him till he ran away from the fair. He ran back to forest cursing the other monkeys that made him lose his new wonderful home.

Wonderful analogy, it hits the point home very well.
Old 6th July 2019, 18:14   #1377
BHPian

Damn, one person and his few posts brought down the standard of this forum singlehandedly. Glad, he is banned now. Let's try and forget what happened here and move on.
Old 6th July 2019, 20:02   #1378
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Only time will teach.
Golden words, my friend. From the tone & tenor of his posts, he sounds like a young chap whose daddy funded his umrikan education. Probably first time traveling in business class as well. And the glorification of Booth/Harvard MBA, oh my - reeks of immaturity.

Last night when I read his post, I was quite disturbed but then I thought to myself, time will teach him.
Old 7th July 2019, 10:58   #1379
BHPian

Anyone in the recent time started business in Australia ? If yes, can you ping me offline ? I am looking at some info regarding the general legal and startup costs, availability of funding, tax holidays etc. I found some legal experts online but they charge anything between $150 to $400 for basic consultation. Thought i will first figure the details and then pay as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post

Last night when I read his post, I was quite disturbed but then I thought to myself, time will teach him.
I laughed at the posts, how much ever one boast about his/her IVY league credentials etc, one needs to be humble. And how does it matter if an Indian or non-Indian drives a truck or cuts timber ? I have seen such arrogant people multiple times in my career. Some harass others and go around with their pride just because he/she did a MBA or tech graduation from an elite institution. We have so many examples of pride and arrogance leading to the downfall. Hope destiny teaches a lesson or two.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 7th July 2019 at 11:05.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:55   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once upon a time a monkey ventured out of the forest that has been his home for a long time.

He ran back to forest cursing the other monkeys that made him lose his new wonderful home.

Good one.

I was shocked to read some of the recent posts. It's not even worth replying.
The above analogy drives the point well.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Quote trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks