Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2021, 14:53   #1516
Team-BHP Support

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Here is a nice bunch of experiences from a white man with an Indian passport.

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 15:04   #1517
Distinguished - BHPian

(being a linguistic dumbo, I can't understand)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
a white man with an Indian passport.
I might be one of those one day. Thing is, like many (non-)Indians, I don't fancy the added visa cost/hassle if I travel. For my mother country, it's damned expensive.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th February 2021 at 15:06.
Old 14th February 2021, 15:57   #1518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
(being a linguistic dumbo, I can't understand)
He didn't emigrate to India, his family has been in India over a century, when India was part of British empire. That explains his fluency in the language. His dad was a well-known Bollywood actor who played all the quintessential white man roles.

One funny incidence he describes is this:

He stood in London airport transit counter behind a large family of Sikhs from UK, all with British passport. Most of the elderly people in the group couldn't speak in English and their kids and grandkids had to intervene and translate. The lady at the counter was very harried and finally this fellow moved up to the counter and presented his Indian passport. The lady was like...

Then he had to explain to her, that "The 15 people group who just left appear to be Indian, but are British citizens. I look like a British, but I am an Indian citizen by birth".

The lady laughed her head off saying "Now I have seen everything!"
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 18:37   #1519
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Samurai! I read one or two comments and gathered that he had been born here and that his dad was famous.

Certainly there are at least a few immigrant Indian citizens. I think that the famous crocodile (Madras Crocodile Bank) guy is one. I had thought that one probably needs to be famous and/or have political connections to actually get citizenship, even though there is a procedure and an online portal for application. But I've heard of successful applicants in similar positions to my own.
Old 14th February 2021, 19:07   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a nice bunch of experiences from a white man with an Indian passport.
In our family we kinda get to see this every year.

My somewhat fair skinned uncle who's lived in the US for ~50 years more or less looks like the average senior American citizen - white beard, skin color, accent and all. Every year he spends a month back home in Chennai - he gets treated like a foreigner all over the city, the good and bad parts of it. It's very funny to see the reactions on people's faces when he responds back to their sales pitches/offers in 100% tamil

Quote:
Thanks Samurai! I read one or two comments and gathered that he had been born here and that his dad was famous.
I'd say everyone who's lived through 80s and 90s movies would know his father as much as any of the heroes during that period - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Alter
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 19:08   #1521
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
His dad, the late Tom Alter was also born here - in Mussoorie. He also was an Indian Citizen.

Not from the video, but Tom Alter used to get upset when someone called him a foreigner. Jamie also gets angry when someone calls his father a foreigner.

Tom was an actor - used to play the cliched white baddie who comes to loot India in most Hindi movies in which he has acted. Jamie is a sports journalist. He used to even work for Cricinfo earlier, I think.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 03:50   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
My somewhat fair skinned uncle who's lived in the US for ~50 years more or less looks like the average senior American citizen - white beard, skin color, accent and all.
I had a reverse experience, meeting up with an Australian contact on another forum for lunch. He was travelling with his brother. Meeting me at the door, he took me inside to meet his brother, but looking round, I could see only Indians. Well, of course, one of them was his brother. In fact, they were both India-born Anglo-Indians.
Old 15th February 2021, 09:41   #1523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think that the famous crocodile (Madras Crocodile Bank) guy is one.
Woah, that's Romulus Whitaker! Probably done more for Indian herpetology than anyone else so far. American by birth and a naturalized Indian citizen, also a Padma Shri awardee.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 09:51   #1524
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of Tom Alter, I recently caught an old interview of his on an All India Radio program, and one of the topics discussed was his lineage and citizenship, and how it affected his acting career.

Such a wonderfully articulate man, and as Indian as any of us at heart.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th February 2021 at 09:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 17:06   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Woah, that's Romulus Whitaker! ...
Indeed. How could I forget such a name... but it did slip my mind. <Blush>
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:07   #1526
BHPian

I work in I.T with some 13 years experience behind me.

Does it make sense in migration to a country like England, since they have performed "BREXIT" & will surely look for skilled labor?
Goes without saying, all these options are only available once covid19 is curtailed.

I am about 35 & recently married, so wife is ok to migrate for a few years.
I am basically looking for a change of scenery if you will, having lived all my life here.
  • Are there any challenges to be aware of other than the horrendous rain/chill?
  • We are eggetarians (for lack of a better word) & do not eat meat. I suppose food should not be an issue?
  • Any challenges in procuring a work visa, considering i am reasonably skilled

We do love Adventure, E.P.L and travelling though, so that is one brownie point
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:19   #1527
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember that England has a huge Indian/South-Asian population, and includes people of all shades who are veggie, eggie, vegan and omni.

And...it doesn't rain/freeze all the time!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:00   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Does it make sense in migration to a country like England, since they have performed "BREXIT" & will surely look for skilled labor?
  • We are eggetarians (for lack of a better word) & do not eat meat. I suppose food should not be an issue?
Having lived/worked in UK and then returned to India, I would say yes, it does make sense to live/work abroad for a while. Working in London, though, will be a serious culture shock not because of the fact that you will be working with Brits, but because you will be working with people from literally all over the world!!
Vegetarian options are available almost everywhere.
And as far as weather is concerned - if you moved from Mysore to Bangalore you would have to deal with a different climate. Learn to cope, it is not all bad.
Process to procure visa I have found to be quite OK - it is nowhere near as Kafkaesque as the US immigration system.
KiloAlpha is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 02:35   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post

We do love Adventure, E.P.L and travelling though, so that is one brownie point
If you're leaving India for the first time, the UK is by far the easiest country to move to. It has the highest density of brown people, and Indian food is their national food - though what passes for 'curry' in the UK has little resemblance to our curries, because it's been dreamt up by Bangladeshis. Also, it doesn't rain all the time - that is dependent on which part of the UK you're in. Yes, the weather isn't great.

If you live in the UK, there is a lot of travelling to be done within a few hours by road, or by flight across Europe. That's something you'll love. You will also easily find vegetarian food both in restaurants as well as ingredients in supermarkets. In fact, you'll find specific Indian items like dal, basmati rice and even Maaza in a lot of large and small supermarkets.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 13:06   #1530
BHPian

Hi I used to work in manufacturing engineering services sector for about 14 years and for last few months I've moved to an OEM.

I was wondering does it make any sense to migrate to Canada [Given the current covid and related situation] ?

I have relatively good working experience at England(2.5 yrs), Ireland (3 months) and Singapore (3 months) as onsite assignments.

I am satisfied with my current salary, but not with the work culture. Also I enjoyed my work-life at UK and Ireland while I was there.

I am married and have 2 kids, wife is well educated too, but currently unemployed to look after kids for some years.

Any advise from experts ?
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks