Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 14:29   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Well, I think I qualify to contribute to this thread.
About me: Started my education (bachelors) in India and was invited to study in Germany. Upon arriving here, I learned the interesting way to educate oneself and a passion for learning. Having spent over 10 yrs (and a Masters degree from here), becoming fluent in their language, culture and can safely say I am acclamatised to the German way of life. I was no short of the living the German lifestyle even while I was home and hence felt no real difference here.

I can say, I for one, did not emigrate with an intention to do so rather the opportunity beckoned upon me. I wanted to experience the other side of the world and hence accepted the offer. Money and lifestyle was/is never my aspiration. I was personally undergoing lots of troubles at home and yet my family supported my decision to leave them behind and go explore the world.

But, I have always been an Services aspirant and now that I have crossed the age limit to don the uniform, I am looking forward to the ISRO "Live registry" entry modus. I have always longed to come back. I see what mistakes we as Indians are doing (collectively) and trying to not do them. I firmly believe that changes has to start within.

Long story short, whoever wants to emigrate should evaluate the reasons to do so quite clearly and not in hopes of "unrestricted Autobahns" or "fat pay checks". Every country comes with its own set of troubles and perks. One thing people forget (or for some, escape) is their parents. They can sometimes not come abroad and settle down or if they do, at the age of 60+, they are put in a completely foreign land and asked to rely only on their son/daughter. On the other hand, they are left behind on their own and especially when they need us the most. So, for all those emigrating/contemplating to do so, think twice.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th October 2018 at 14:35. Reason: typo
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 14:50   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Time to upskill- I am an ardent believer in lifelong learning, and no better time than now to get neck-deep in Analytics. It’s a ‘Work while you earn’ program, and as a result there are no opportunity costs lost. Btw I still am employed by the same stupendous firm here in Toronto too.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's heartening to hear that you are striving to upskill and keep ahead of the curve.

I have been having thoughts of applying for the Canada residency program but won't be moving in the next couple of years at least (parents seriously ill) - so pardon me for the stupid question, but does it count against an applicant if s/he qualifies for the PR but doesn't move there immediately?
Old 29th October 2018, 16:54   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's heartening to hear that you are striving to upskill and keep ahead of the curve.

I have been having thoughts of applying for the Canada residency program but won't be moving in the next couple of years at least (parents seriously ill) - so pardon me for the stupid question, but does it count against an applicant if s/he qualifies for the PR but doesn't move there immediately?
Sorry to hear this- Once you have the PR activated, you can stay outside Canada for 3 years before making moving in permanently. Please note 2 years is a bare minimum to renew your PR status.
Old 29th October 2018, 18:42   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Please note 2 years is a bare minimum to renew your PR status.
Hi Jacob,
Can you please comment on the prospects of immigrating to Canada via Express Entry under the Federal Skilled worker program? I have a Masters degree from one of the prominent social science institutes in India and have 10+ years of experience (all in India) with a number of MNCs in administrative/personnel positions in a managerial capacity. I seem to be meeting the cutoff mark of 67 basis the factors listed even though I do not have a job offer in Canada. My BIL is currently in Alberta so would have a place to stay and look for jobs.

What is the typical period from application submission to decision? Does meeting the cutoff guarantee admission under current circumstances? I know that a technical/trades background helps which I do not have. Do also comment on the prospects of an immigrant landing a job in administration/Human Resources in Canada. I do understand that it may not be possible right away and one may have to work odd jobs to sustain.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

TIA

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2018 at 20:27. Reason: Post fixed. Browser spacing issue.
Old 29th October 2018, 19:52   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Jacob,

Can you please comment on the prospects of immigrating to Canada via Express Entry under the Federal Skilled worker program? I have a Masters degree from one of the prominent social science institutes in India and have 10+ years of experience (all in India) with a number of MNCs in administrative/personnel positions in a managerial capacity. I seem to be meeting the cutoff mark of 67 basis the factors listed even though I do not have a job offer in Canada. My BIL is currently in Alberta so would have a place to stay and look for jobs.
Meeting the Federal Skilled workers is just one part of the story. You'd also have to be above the CIC draw cut-off. The last CIC draw was at 440 points, and anyone above that gets issued an ITA (Invitation to Apply).

Please see here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html

My application took as few as 2 weeks, however I have seen candidates waiting for months (and sometimes years) altogether to receive their PR.

Re getting a job, the IT jobs landscape and the HR domains seem promising- you may have to get additional certifications to allure the employer sometimes.

All the best.
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:37   #1326
BHPian

I need inputs from people who have done Netherlands High Skill Migration in recent times.

Ind.Nl details procedure of the same according to which, one would need to submit apostilled certificates upon arriving in Netherlands.

As per few standalone websites with people having hands-on, same would be required prior visiting Netherlands Embassy / VFS for visa purpose in India.

Which one of the above is right? It is logical to believe that the website would be more authentic however still thought of checking twice.

Also European work permits usually needed Birth Certificates to be apostilled in the past. However for grey haired people like me in mid 40s, quite a few including self did not have any as it became mandatory only after 1989ish. I was hearing that the requirements of birth certificates is now waived. Is this true.

Lastly, any recommendations for a trustworthy Certificate Apostilling Agency? few i checked after referring internet have all promised home pick up and drop in 10 working days. Would request sharing personal experiences if any.

Cheers.
Old 6th December 2018, 16:01   #1327
Senior - BHPian

So finally on my way to Canada in Feb 2019. Any Bhpian's in Toronto, may need some help with some info especially around cars
Old 6th December 2018, 16:53   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Also European work permits usually needed Birth Certificates to be apostilled
I had gone through a work permit processing and depedent visa for Italy 6 years back.

For my work permit, I hardly had to do anything. Not apostille work, nothing! However for the dependent, there was a huge process of legalization. So marraige certificate, kids' birth certificate had to be first verified by the state and then apostille from Ministry of External Affairs. In Italy's case, there was even translation of this legalized documents. The whole process is about a month or 2 per document. All this goes in a package along with the passports for the visa process. If all is OK, the stamping is just 1-2 days work. If not they'll request for additional documentation.

If you are the one, who is going to work. Then I don't think there is a need for your birth certificate to be apostilled, even my wife's birth certificate didn't need to be.

Am not sure how much Netherlands digs in, but Italian consulate wanted the names to match across passports, certificates presented. Or there is this 'One and the same' that needs to be obtained from the tahsildar office, ofcourse this too had to be legalized

Funny thing, is most of the documentation work before visa stamping was hardly used during 4 year odd stay.
Old 6th December 2018, 20:16   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I had gone through a work permit processing and depedent visa for Italy 6 years back.

For my work permit, I hardly had to do anything. Not apostille work, nothing! However for the dependent, there was a huge process of legalization. So marraige certificate, kids' birth certificate had to be first verified by the state and then apostille from Ministry of External Affairs. In Italy's case, there was even translation of this legalized documents. The whole process is about a month or 2 per document. All this goes in a package along with the passports for the visa process. If all is OK, the stamping is just 1-2 days work. If not they'll request for additional documentation.

If you are the one, who is going to work. Then I don't think there is a need for your birth certificate to be apostilled, even my wife's birth certificate didn't need to be.

Am not sure how much Netherlands digs in, but Italian consulate wanted the names to match across passports, certificates presented. Or there is this 'One and the same' that needs to be obtained from the tahsildar office, ofcourse this too had to be legalized

Funny thing, is most of the documentation work before visa stamping was hardly used during 4 year odd stay.
Seems things haven't changed much in all these years.

I am now asked to present apostilled documents for both dependents. So far it is relieving. However, came to know from friends there that once landed in Netherlands, for registering at council would need apostilled birth certificates for all 3 of us.

Have decided to take things as they come. Currently awaiting apostilling of all available documents.

Cheers & thanks for your inputs.
Old 6th December 2018, 21:29   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I think it is really important that you want to be part of that culture/society. I have seen many Indian friends and colleagues who emigrated, but basicly tried to live an Indian life abroad. Their social circle were mostly Indian, not Americans. I think that is a recipe for a disaster. Just a matter of time.

Successful emigrants the world over are those that embrace their new home country, learn the language, integrate and become part of the society at large.

It doesn't mean you need to give up everything. But first and foremost you must enjoy and embrace an awful lot of new stuff. And be prepared to give up a lot of stuff from back home.
A bit late in replying but I heartily agree with the points you make, mainly because I have seen this happen in person.

Time & time again I've seen exactly what you mention happen to family members & acquaintances who have ended up moving here within the US, & elsewhere (UK, Australia, etc.).

This patriotic-effect was mainly amongst the early first generation immigrants who moved here in the '70s but it's very much prevalent amongst those who moved here during the dot-com boom (late 1990's to eaerly 2000's), & later years.

Even after taking up & proudly flaunting their US Citizenship & Passports, their basic circle does not expand. There is minimal to no integration into society.

These are exactly those people who one hears of being more "Indian" than Indians living in India. Those who are the most vocal in their protests of the "degradation of Indian culture".
Those who monsterize Western culture & look down upon those having accepted it.
Heavily mixing around with the local populace is seen as having lost your "Indian identity".

Unfortunately, this effect has a very harsh effect on their children who feel torn in-between.
It usually boils down & either the children rebel & make their own identity, or succumb to the pressure that the parents put on them.

A lot of psychological manipulation from peers & parents, in the form of inducing guilt doesn't help.
It's sad, very much so.

What they don't realize is that you can integrate into society whilst retaining who you are; you just need to keep an open mind.
Old 6th December 2018, 22:59   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So finally on my way to Canada in Feb 2019. Any Bhpian's in Toronto, may need some help with some info especially around cars
Happy to help. Let me know what you need.
Old 7th December 2018, 09:50   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
for registering at council would need apostilled birth certificates for all 3 of us.
By council, I think you are referring to registering in municipality. If so this is a procedure to register you residency. The first thing you'd do landing there is to get your stay permits done. You'll either use the documentation from the permits/actual permit card to do your residency. So I don't really see a reason for the parents' birth certificate here. Marriage certificate is mandatory, so is the kids' birth certificate.

You can get your birth certificate reissued with the name. For kids < 15 years, there is a provision to get it reissued with the name (if the original BC was without it). For adults, the decision it is left to bureaucracy to decide. My wife had this problem, and it eventually took some 3 months to get the BC with the name reissued. This wasn't part of our visa processing package, but did at the same time, suspecting they might ask.

Mentally be prepared for 3-6 months time for the process to run (thanks to how slow our bureaucratic machinery operates), for you and your dependents It took me 9 months to get my family aboard, so can't be worse than that.
Old 9th December 2018, 20:25   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
By council, I think you are referring to registering in municipality. If so this is a procedure to register you residency. The first thing you'd do landing there is to get your stay permits done. You'll either use the documentation from the permits/actual permit card to do your residency. So I don't really see a reason for the parents' birth certificate here. Marriage certificate is mandatory, so is the kids' birth certificate.

You can get your birth certificate reissued with the name. For kids < 15 years, there is a provision to get it reissued with the name (if the original BC was without it). For adults, the decision it is left to bureaucracy to decide. My wife had this problem, and it eventually took some 3 months to get the BC with the name reissued. This wasn't part of our visa processing package, but did at the same time, suspecting they might ask.

Mentally be prepared for 3-6 months time for the process to run (thanks to how slow our bureaucratic machinery operates), for you and your dependents It took me 9 months to get my family aboard, so can't be worse than that.
Thanks for your inputs.

I am expecting the legalised aka apostilled documents next week. Issue is that the immigration lawer is going on leave and hence it may happen that I get the certificates late enough to push back my joining.

From your post it seems that apostilled documents would not be required for my own visa. I was wondering if in this case I can request immigration team of employer to arrange for my work permit first and subsequently apply for my family which anyways would join me only after a couple of months.

Would check with them as well but thought of asking you if you had done so, know of someone who has done this way and what issues, if any.
Old 18th January 2019, 05:52   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone who's gone through Australia PR route recently (or in the past), and can help on a few pointers? Please do pm me (or let me know if I can reach out)
Old 18th January 2019, 07:13   #1335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone who's gone through Australia PR route recently (or in the past), and can help on a few pointers? Please do pm me (or let me know if I can reach out)
My SIL and family (based in Pune) are in the process of closing the process right now. I can check with them and update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks