Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 20:04   #361
BHPian

Had a nice time going through this thread.

Well even I've faced such situations umpteen number of times. To tell a few:

1. On seeing a 'Corona' make high end bus my friend comments "Are dekh 'Volvo ki Corona' bus jaa rahi hain". I chose not to comment

2. When I expressed my desire on buying i20 my friend comments "Hyundai looting customers as same engine has been plonked in i10 & i20. So its wise to go for i10 only"
Old 1st August 2010, 22:32   #362
Senior - BHPian

He would have been correct if he had said:
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Hyundai looting customers
on
Quote:
i10 & i20.
"
Old 1st August 2010, 23:43   #363
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai looting?

@Blue Pulsar- Hey, why do you feel Hyundai is looting on i10 and i20?
I went to see i20 1.2kappa 2 weeks back. I you check the price and compare it with others like Polo, Punto, Micra, the petrol variant is not overpriced.
But if this is looting, what about Skoda and the cost of spares and servicing Skodas?
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:21   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
@Blue Pulsar- Hey, why do you feel Hyundai is looting on i10 and i20?
I went to see i20 1.2kappa 2 weeks back. I you check the price and compare it with others like Polo, Punto, Micra, the petrol variant is not overpriced.
But if this is looting, what about Skoda and the cost of spares and servicing Skodas?
The i10 and i20 are definitely not competitively priced. I agree with the good quality interiors etc. But the i20 is not exactly spacious too. Compare the prices to cars like Figo, Beat etc, the Hyundais are definitely overpriced.

Polo is in a different class altogether. I do not want to comment on the Punto, too many fanboys out here. And the Micra looks too feminine to be considered as a family car.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:28   #365
Senior - BHPian

@ blue_pulsar: the top end petrol i20 is just Rs. 63k more than the top end petrol swift. i would definitely prefer the i20 over the swift/polo/micra. and i feel the i20 is very very spacious & not at all cramped.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:38   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. When I expressed my desire on buying i20 my friend comments "Hyundai looting customers as same engine has been plonked in i10 & i20. So its wise to go for i10 only"
May be he didn't say it right. I feel what he was trying to say is that the same kappa engine would give better performance in i10 as compared to i20 because of the better power to weight ratio.

For comments on Hyundai looting customers - Hyundai doesn't put a gun to anybody's head for buying their cars. If customers are still buying the so-called overpriced cars like i10 and i20, inspite of other competitive offering at lower price tags, then we should give some credit to Hyundai company and their cars. They must be doing something right.

Rohan
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:59   #367
BHPian

This is an incident that happened with my college friend.
He has picked up a old M800 to learn driving.

The car stalled on the eastern express highway near ghatkopar , mumbai in the middle of the road. Another friend said, Are Jaldi Hazard light laga.... (Hey turn on the Hazard lights quick)
He started the headlight and said mere car mein yahi lights hain yeh chalega kya? ( my car has only these lights. will they do? )

Later we tried pushing the car to the side. He removed the key earlier to stpe out and gauge the situation. When he sat again at the drivers seat, we pushed the car , it started moving but , kept turning towards one side. He screamed boss , steering nahi Ghum raha hain (The steering is not turning). he has locked the steering with the key out in one side LOL

He has been the butt of most Hazard lights and steering jokes ever since.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:37   #368
BHPian

In my 8th std science class, the teacher asked for the differences between Petrol engine and Diesel engine.
And I proudly said "Petrol engines emit white smoke and Diesel engines emit black smoke".
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:11   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
In my 8th std science class, the teacher asked for the differences between Petrol engine and Diesel engine.
And I proudly said "Petrol engines emit white smoke and Diesel engines emit black smoke".
Isn't that correct? It is better than saying "petrol engines run on petrol, diesel engines run on diesel" :-D
I don't remember seeing any petrol engines emitting black smoke. And I am sure I will never see a diesel engine emitting white smoke. At least, not in my lifetime!
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:19   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
And I am sure I will never see a diesel engine emitting white smoke. At least, not in my lifetime!

Diesels can emit white smoke: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-exhaust.html

and you saw it here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Here is a Youtube video of my jeep's exhaust .... this may be of some help to the experts. Kindly bear with the video quality its was taken from my nokia n70 mobile

YouTube - Mahindra Commander Jeep exhaust

the engine was started the raised for about 50% of the throttle and then left then once again given throttle gradually

Last edited by bblost : 2nd August 2010 at 17:20.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:31   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Isn't that correct? It is better than saying "petrol engines run on petrol, diesel engines run on diesel" :-D
I don't remember seeing any petrol engines emitting black smoke. And I am sure I will never see a diesel engine emitting white smoke. At least, not in my lifetime!
Correct me on this anyone but I believe white smoke is emitted by any vehicle (Diesel or Petrol) when fuel is partially burnt in the engine.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:39   #372
BHPian

A guy trying to sell me his car said thus:
"The A.C. isn't working. Its because the radiator needs to be topped up with coolant..."
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:33   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I think this is not really required. Hazard lights are required when your vehicle breaks down in the middle of the road. To alert people that you are not moving. It is also used when you're moving extremely slowly on a highway to alert people that you have a problem.

When you brake hard, your tail lamps and the 'high mount stop lamp' do their job. When you brake hard, there is a fraction of a second for the one behind to realize it.
There is no alternative to activating your hazard lights when you are faced with a sudden braking situation. 'Hazard' lights are meant to be used at any hazard, and not just when the vehicle breaks-down.

The only flip-side is the logistics of actually taking a hand off the steering wheel to activate the hazard lights. This can be quite tricky considering you're already in - or headed to - a sticky situation, especially if the hazard switch is on the steering column.

With regard to the brake lights, whether in cluster or high-mounted, there is no indication of urgency. Whether a light tap on the pedal or a full-on brake-slam, the lights have the same intensity, and does not convey a message to motorists behind.

An interesting invention will be flexible-brightness brake-lights to light-up brightest only when the brake is really slammed. Guess this minor adjustment is not a priority for manufacturers.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:37   #374
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Beat this, the other day I was watching an auto show in some hindi news channel and the guy says ABS stand for "Anti Braking System"!
Must be the auto show on the Zee Business.

Last edited by ~~h : 2nd August 2010 at 18:43.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:18   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Correct me on this anyone but I believe white smoke is emitted by any vehicle (Diesel or Petrol) when fuel is partially burnt in the engine.
When fuel is partially burned, you see black smoke. When oil is being burnt, you see white smoke. If you see white smoke, you're in deep doodoo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks