Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:37   #391
BHPian

This one is regarding 'water dripping from the exhaust pipe' .
One of my friends says "If your car engine is perfectly tuned, water will drip from the exhaust".
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:21   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a hilarious thread

There was this colleague of mine who wasn't the smartest but had to have an opinion on everything. Lunchtime conversation centered around the fact that our boss, a known gas-bag, claimed his Accent GLS regularly gave him 12 km/lit while mine (actually measured in city conditions) gave around 9 kmpl. The colleague dismissed my scepticism, saying "It's possible... Accent gives 9-12...it's same only". I told him, dude- 12 kmpl is 33% higher than 9 kmpl- how is it the same? He gives me a withering look and says "If you measure in percentage, OBVIOUSLY everything will seem higher".

My old chauffer ( a former BEST driver) used to drive without headlights at night because "usse petrol zyada kharch hota hai". After a few hair raising brushes wth death, we convinced him it was OK to spend a little extra, just put those damn lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Talking about hazard lights, one of my neighbor thinks that they are used in a junction to go straight ahead. He says, no left, no right, so both lights are blinking to avoid confusion.

He is so confident regarding this, which makes me doubt if I'm stupid or him?.
I've seen this convention being used in Nigeria but it seems stupid to me cuz people on your left will think you're turning left and those on the right will think you're turning right!

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd August 2010 at 20:53. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:47   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
This one is regarding 'water dripping from the exhaust pipe' .
One of my friends says "If your car engine is perfectly tuned, water will drip from the exhaust".
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Even I have heard this from a few folks in India! Never believed it though. I would also like to know if there is any relation between the two? Gurus, please comment.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:55   #394
BHPian

Yes, it does indicate the good health of the engine; not exactly tuning. there is a lot of discussion in one of the forums on this topic. cant remember exactly in which thread, but i think its in the technical stuff section.

EDIT: just found one of those threads.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-silencer.html

Last edited by ZENnist : 3rd August 2010 at 20:02. Reason: :
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:00   #395
BHPian

Yes this is very much true. But water dripping can be only seen during cold start when the exhaust pipe is somewhat cold and the water does not turns into vapour.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It is always good to do so. I have done quite a bit of driving in European highways and it was then I realized that all drivers turn on their hazard lights when they know that they have to stop abruptly, due to an unexpected traffic jam or something - in fact , all cars will have their hazard lights blinking before the cars come to a stop. This is very helpful in their highways where you'll be doing speeds like 180-200 Kmph even in a normal passenger car - when you see cars in front of you turn on their hazard lights, you know you have to stop. Now don't say we don't require it here because we can't go that fast. It will be like saying ABS is not required in city driving

I have taken that habit and I always turn on hazard lights as soon as I know I have to stop all of a sudden / break hard.
I believe the rules in USA (CT state) say that you switch on hazard lights under two or three important conditions -
1. you are going to become a hazard, for eg, going to stop for some reason
2. when you are in an emergency - driving someone to hospital for eg.
3. when there is an accident ahead of you and you are trying to warn people behind you

In rains and inclement weather, I have felt that hazard lights can end up being a distraction and like someone else said confuse you if someone is going to take left/right turn!
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:20   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
This cameup during an office discussion:

Colleague: The Enfield bullet is so good, if you hit the breaks, it stops then and there only!!

Me:
Lol.. He obviously doesn't get why Enfield advertises it as "everyone makes way for the bullet" - Because it would run them over otherwise.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:41   #398
BHPian

Heres an interesting quote from a Maruti Van driver who drops kids to school.

He once told me his engine has "Knocking" or what one would technically call "Detonation".
I asked him to get the engine checked and he says and i quote "Are you crazy? If there is knocking, it means im getting better mileage". He then said he was getting 3-5kmpl extra because of this.

Another one which id like to share is of my experience picking up a Fiat Palio.
A relative of mine got to know of my decision and came to me with a brilliant suggestion, (according to him of course). He asked me to go for an Alto because according to him Fiat had gone bust and since he hasnt seen too many Palios in his neighborhood, he came to the conclusion that the Palio is an utter failure and hence unreliable. He even added that Alto is more powerful and the AC was brilliant when compared to the Santro or even the Palio which he hasnt driven.

There are a lot of stereotypes that one may come across in life but the worst of the lot are the ignorant ones pretending to have profound information when it comes to cars and bikes.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:43   #399
BHPian

i was passing by a few kids (aged 14-16) and as i heard, one of them was learning to drive. so, the convo goes like this:

Boy 1: yaar, driving wala seat belt pehen ke chalane ko bolta hai. dimag kharab karta hai yaar.
Boy 2: sahi to bolta hai.
Boy 3: chal be, seat belt pehen ke chalana difficult ho jata hai.
Boy 1 and 2: kyun?
Boy 3: main hil hi ni sakta. itna tight ho ke baithta hoon. jab gaadi chalani seekh hi raha hai to seat belt kyun chahiye hogi? kisi kaam ki ni hoti ye seat belts.

Boy 1: the guy who teaches me driving asks me to wear a seat belt. it irritates me so much.
Boy 2: actually he is right.
Boy 3: dude, its actually difficult to drive wearing a seatbelt.
Boy 1 and 2: Why?
Boy 3: it's very uncomfortable, i cannot even move while driving. dont know why they ask you to wear seat belts. when you know how to drive, why would you need a seat belt? it's all useless.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:50   #400
gvr
BHPian

Another comment that annoys me and is something that I almost get on a daily basis is "Mercedes cars are not for India. Any one buying Mercedes in India will face a hard time". What does a Merc have to do with fortune? Other than having expensive repair costs?
Old 4th August 2010, 03:13   #401
Senior - BHPian

well this is somehow out of topic. i am staying in Wyoming USA. here when people go to any fast food restaurant,bank or any other place where they have a work for about 15/20 min. they park the car with the ignition on. any reason behind it leaving the car with the ignition on for almost half hour?? here i see only wastage of fuel.
Old 4th August 2010, 07:12   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
well this is somehow out of topic. i am staying in Wyoming USA. here when people go to any fast food restaurant,bank or any other place where they have a work for about 15/20 min. they park the car with the ignition on. any reason behind it leaving the car with the ignition on for almost half hour?? here i see only wastage of fuel.
I can see only one reason, idiotic American wasteful nature.
I do not see any other reason to leave the car running idle.

This is the most common question asked by everyone during the INRC events.
Every time we stop during the transport stages or for refuelling or to buy some stuff, everyone who takes a look at the rally prepared cars asks the one common question "yestu kodute?"
Translation "How much it gives?"

Last edited by speedmiester : 4th August 2010 at 07:22.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:10   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Every time we stop during the transport stages or for refuelling or to buy some stuff, everyone who takes a look at the rally prepared cars asks the one common question "yestu kodute?"
Translation "How much it gives?"

BTW, I always get to hear so many "useful" tips from my friend.

1. We are standing in a traffic jam and there is a gap in the divider in front of us. So I get this comment, "Arre, gaadi ko uss gap se daalke wrong way se nikal na. College ko late ho raha hai" (Take your bike through the gap and drive on the wrong way. We are getting late for the college).

2. They want me to accelerate and go if the signal just turns from yellow to red. Nothing doing, I simply ignore them and turn off the ignition.

3. Why are you wearing a helmet for such a short distance? We ain't going on the highway dude.

Another incident. Recently, we went to TD a Innova with a used car dealer. He had 2 models, a G4 and a V. He is singing praises for the G4 (the V was badly maintained). When he was really getting on my nerves, he made a comment that made my day. "Go for a G4 only. The airbags aren't useful in city driving, why pay extra ?!?".

Last edited by prateekm : 4th August 2010 at 08:11.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:52   #404
BHPian

Quote:
One reason I can think about is in very cold climate (negative temperatures). I have seen people starting their car using remote much before leaving from office so that the snow over it melts and the inside will become hot enough to sit comfortably. May be the same logic applies here.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:54   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My old chauffer ( a former BEST driver) used to drive without headlights at night.
No wonder why BEST buses are called 'Killer Vehicels'

Quote:
i am staying in Wyoming USA. here when people go to any fast food restaurant,bank or any other place where they have a work for about 15/20 min. they park the car with the ignition on. any reason behind it leaving the car with the ignition on for almost half hour?? here i see only wastage of fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I can see only one reason, idiotic American wasteful nature.
And all Obama has to say is that Indians are buying more cars nowadays causing global fuel crisis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks