Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 15:15   #5881
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anyone watching the test match ?

Bhajji is bowling crap. Really time to look beyond him. Let him get his 400 and then bye-bye !
I can not stop myself comparing Bhajji and Swann. Whenever I see the England scorecards Swann is among wickets in all those fast bowler friendly pitches. Now our own Padmashree Singh sahab fails to capitalize even on spin friendly wickets. Needless to say he is no longer a threat to the opposition. A bowler like him should grow with age but he is fading and he is fading fast. I think the selectors should give him a treatment which Zaheer got couple of years back. If he will come back than he would be a better bowler for sure.
Old 4th July 2011, 15:17   #5882
Team-BHP Support

Yes, they need to do a Zaheer on him

And we'll find out how he compares to Swann very soon...
Old 5th July 2011, 13:24   #5883
BHPian

Coincidentally, just before I read the last few posts, I had read an article by Harsha Bhogle on what Harbhajan Singh needs to do to become a great.
Harsha Bhogle: Harbhajan must go all out for greatness | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

There's no doubt that he has come up with some great performances for India. But somehow he has never made me want to watch him the way other performers in the team in recent times have. If I had to choose between watching videos of VVS making a 40 or Zaheer Khan bowling a tight but wicketless spell versus HS getting a five wicket haul, I would take VVS or ZK anytime.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:32   #5884
BHPian

Turning Point

Folks,

Our team had all chances to win the second test match against west indies had Dhoni caught Carlton Baugh off the bowling of Bhajii, west indies were on the mat at 133/5..This to me was the turning point of the match.

Thanks,
Vinod
Old 24th July 2011, 00:07   #5885
BANNED

RAHUL DRAVID take a bow.

Harbhajan Singh take the flight home.
Old 24th July 2011, 00:18   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
RAHUL DRAVID take a bow.

Harbhajan Singh take the flight home.
Harbhajan was a run-machine. Giving it away that is. His line seems to be all messed up, pitching it on the off-stump, end up on middle and leg. This compared to Swann who had almost all the Indian batsmen in trouble today with his loops and drifts. He made sure that Indians played him very carefully. All this, the old-fashioned way without any doosras (or teesras).

It's probably time to give Ashwin a chance. At least he seems to be a thinking bowler.

And the legend got his century at Lords' alright today.

Last edited by watfor : 24th July 2011 at 00:19.
Old 24th July 2011, 11:54   #5887
Team-BHP Support

Zaheer's fitness and Sehwag's absence has proved to be a big blow for us. We don't have the bowling firepower to combat the Englishmen.

There are as many as 5 Englishmen in the top-10 run-getters this year. Trott, Bell, Strauss, Pieterson and Prior have been consistently scoring.

This is where India's chinks are exposed. Our bowling department lacks bite, especially without Zaheer. Harbhajan seems to be more of a burden than a front-line spinner. Where is Murali Vijay? Why don't we have R Ashwin in the test squad and what on Earth is Sreesanth doing on the 15 member squad?
Old 24th July 2011, 20:52   #5888
Senior - BHPian

If Zaheer is not fit expect Sree to be in for next test.
Bhajji needs to retire now. Anyday Mishra and Ashwin are better wicket taking options.
Seems we will be chasing 400 atleast so its going to be a run for survival by Indian batting.
Gosh i miss sehwag!
Old 24th July 2011, 22:08   #5889
Team-BHP Support

Whats happened to Gambhir and Sachin ?
Old 24th July 2011, 22:45   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Whats happened to Gambhir and Sachin ?
Gambhir was hit on the elbow and Sachin down with viral. Must say India has been very very unlucky with the injuries in this match . Yes the opposition is a bit stronger and the English commentators are going ga ga over England s battings vs 2 Indian Bowlers(Bhajji excluded) . With Zaheer , Gambhir fitness in doubt and Dhoni mostly out of next match , looks like we are losing the top position !!
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 00:37   #5891
Senior - BHPian

So finally some of you are starting to realise the futility of having Harbhajan Singh in the playing 11 ! I have been saying this from the last 2 years atleast, Bhajji deserves a VRS.

We need a stone walling Dravid with Laxman on song at the other end to save this one now. Sachin is slated to come in at No 7 - will he have any batting partners left by then ? Gambhir is doubtful too, though he will bat.

And what about Dhoni ? Is he banned from the next test ?

The less said about the English press and commentary team the better - till the start of the test every one was angry with KP on his "I only work here in England" quip - now they are all gaga over him. And isn't Prior a South African player ? Heck their captain comes from South Africa !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th July 2011 at 00:38.
Old 25th July 2011, 00:51   #5892
Senior - BHPian

@NC- I read in cricinfo that Dhoni MIGHT be banned from next match for slow over rate.Regarding Bhajji i have always doubted his form for last few years. Its time we show faith in Ashwin instead. I must admit Swann bowled brilliantly in the 1st innings ( in conditions which didnt really favour spin) . But overall looks like England might pull this match from us !
Old 25th July 2011, 01:40   #5893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sachin is slated to come in at No 7 - will he have any batting partners left by then ?

And isn't Prior a South African player ? Heck their captain comes from South Africa !
Tendulkar can bat after four hours 18 minutes into the Indian innings (the amount of time he was off the field) , or at number 7; whichever is earlier.

Prior is half South African but moved to England at the age of 11. So I suppose he's picked up most of his skills in England.

Strauss was born in South Africa too, but again he moved to England at a young age.
Old 25th July 2011, 02:03   #5894
Senior - BHPian

Match is going to be a draw.
Kindly someone tell bhajji to retire plz!
Old 25th July 2011, 09:37   #5895
Senior - BHPian

England v India: Ishant Sharma lights up the fourth day | Cricket Features | England v India 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

So Ishant says the captain asked him if he would bowl and he refused a second spell !! Why ? To rest so that he can bowl in the next 3 tests !

Doesn't say a lot for the fitness, attitude or killer instinct of the player or the captain !

Or is Dhoni over-confident about his batsmen chasing / saving this test ?

Most Viewed