Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 09:47   #4936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
This idiot Rohit Sharma almost lost us the match had he stayed there for a little while more. 4 runs in 11 balls. Good for nothing bugger!
I hope they don't take Rohit "Jack boy" Sharma to NZ!
I dont want to comment about the Jack but what was dissapointing to see is that he was not able to connect the bat with the ball. This is height in T-20. I guess he is having a Brad Hodge problem. A great domestic player but a fully faltoo batsman in the international arena. (forget about the one century he scored).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Am sure he will be along. When T-20 world cup ended i remember reading reports he and Dhoni are quiet good friends so maybe its the 'Dhoni' approach!
In this indian team many have made strong comebacks. Rohit should be sent back to have some good practice matches and come back strong like Zaheer, Raina, Gambhir and not to forget our Viru. No doubt Rohit made a century in each innings in the Ranji final. But I saw the highlights of the 1st innings, I think he got 6-7 lives. My gut feeling is, this is the end for Rohit for the time being. Good Luck for the future Rohit. Hope to see you in IPL.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:13   #4937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
This idiot Rohit Sharma almost lost us the match had he stayed there for a little while more. 4 runs in 11 balls. Good for nothing bugger!
I hope they don't take Rohit "Jack boy" Sharma to NZ!
Rohit is much better than what he was yesterday. He is the future great in Indian cricket, please dont write him off. Even Dhoni & Jadeja were struggling to get the ball off the square at that time when bandara & Jayasurya were bowling, until Yusuf showed his brand of fearless cricket.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:59   #4938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
I guess he is having a Brad Hodge problem. A great domestic player but a fully faltoo batsman in the international arena. (forget about the one century he scored).
You can add to the list: Graeme Hick, Mark Ramprakash, Ajay Sharma, Raman Lamba, Wasim Jaffer, Jacob Martin..................................... And a bowler called Bhupinder Singh Senior
Old 11th February 2009, 11:04   #4939
Senior - BHPian

From the 1st time i saw Yusuf Pathan, i knew he'd be a star atleast in the 20 20 form of the game.

And he did not disappoint.
However i was surprised with the immense power with which Irfan played his shots last night.
Simply Fantastic.

Indian Team can now fully say.
Bring it on World, you can't take that world championship away from us
Old 11th February 2009, 11:09   #4940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Rohit is much better than what he was yesterday. He is the future great in Indian cricket, please dont write him off. Even Dhoni & Jadeja were struggling to get the ball off the square at that time when bandara & Jayasurya were bowling, until Yusuf showed his brand of fearless cricket.
Some Wisden guy listed the name of Raina in the list of 10 future great players to watch out for. At that point of time Raina was not even in the Indian Team. He worked hard and made his way into the the indian team.

No one is writing off Rohit. He is a good player but now he is not scoring runs and getting out everytime in ugly manner and he has got many chances. So he should be given a break, rectify his mistake and make a comeback. Why persist with some one for long time when you have other talented player in the queue. Dont you want to try some new exciting players ?
Old 11th February 2009, 11:19   #4941
BANNED

Respect deep respect for Yousuf Pathan.

Its one thing to hit the ball, its another to know where you are hitting it.
Old 11th February 2009, 11:25   #4942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I agree with you.

Yousuf was all class when his brother was what I would term "savage". But, both were effective. That partnership sealed the match for India.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:40   #4943
ECM
BHPian

Eddy
You seems to be a great lover of cricket,let me add few names as well here in your list-all Indians.
Ashok Mankad,Ashok Malhotra,Raju Kulkarni,Shivalkar,Gopal Sharma,J P Yadav list is really long.
Quote:
You can add to the list: Graeme Hick, Mark Ramprakash, Ajay Sharma, Raman Lamba, Wasim Jaffer, Jacob Martin..................................... And a bowler called Bhupinder Singh Senior
One technical comment on Rohit,watch all replays and see his head,its NOT "over" the ball most of time hence he is hitting the ball not in desired direction and getting caught out in deep.Same Tip Gavaskar gave to Yuvraj perhaps 1 year back when he failed totally in intl and domestic season.

Last edited by ECM : 11th February 2009 at 17:43.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:54   #4944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to disagree. Great is a term which should not be used for players who have achieved nothing and have even not fulfilled the requirements of the team.
Great is used for people like Bradman,Sachin ,Lara, sobers, Richards etc due to the accomplishments they had over a large period of time.
Is he in the same league? Not by a mile IMO. In fact Yuvi is in the team since 9 years and has achieved a lot in Odi and T20 if not tests and still he is not referred as a GREAT!
Yes, Rohit has the potential which is evident but then where is the execution of that potential?
Jadeja is a very new player,give him benefit of doubt.
Dhoni was slow but he had performed in last few matches. rohit has not.
My point is people should be in team on merit and performance which is not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
From the 1st time i saw Yusuf Pathan, i knew he'd be a star atleast in the 20 20 form of the game.

And he did not disappoint.
However i was surprised with the immense power with which Irfan played his shots last night.
Simply Fantastic.

Indian Team can now fully say.
Bring it on World, you can't take that world championship away from us
I remember seeing a match at Kotla a couple of years back when noone knew Yusuf Pathan. Was a charity match. I saw this guy hitting Monster sixes and i knew if this guy comes in Indian team he will blow the opposition. Am glad it happened
Don't underestimate Irfan. He is the guy who has hit Shane warne for 3 sixes in an over on Sydney ground which is quiet big in comparison to Lankan grounds. In fact i always believed he is a better batsman than a bowler. Our bad luck we cant nourish him well and make him a Flintoff for India :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Absoultely right. He is not a slogger or a mad hitter like Shahid Afridi. He has power and a street smart brain just like Sehwag. I do hope Indian cricket administrators take care of him properly as he can be a devastating asset for India in Odi and T20 in future years.
Also i was expecting him being promoted to a 3 or 4 in T20 as he is better up the order in a T20.

Last edited by harry10 : 11th February 2009 at 17:57.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:06   #4945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to disagree. Great is a term which should not be used for players who have achieved nothing and have even not fulfilled the requirements of the team.
Great is used for people like Bradman,Sachin ,Lara, sobers, Richards etc due to the accomplishments they had over a large period of time.
Is he in the same league? Not by a mile IMO. In fact Yuvi is in the team since 9 years and has achieved a lot in Odi and T20 if not tests and still he is not referred as a GREAT!
Yes, Rohit has the potential which is evident but then where is the execution of that potential?
Jadeja is a very new player,give him benefit of doubt.
Dhoni was slow but he had performed in last few matches. rohit has not.
My point is people should be in team on merit and performance which is not the case here.
Going by your logic, Yuvraj Singh would have been dumped long long ago & Marvan Attapattu would have had to take on a different career. I think the Indian think tank is smart & they are doing the right thing by backing the players they think are the future of of Indian cricket.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:12   #4946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by your logic, Yuvraj Singh would have been dumped long long ago & Marvan Attapattu would have had to take on a different career. I think the Indian think tank is smart & they are doing the right thing by backing the players they think are the future of of Indian cricket.
Yuvraj played some good innings at the start itself. If you remember his match winning 84 against Oz in his 2nd or 3rd match itself. Cant see rohit done anything like that.
My point is why not try Badrinath and other few youngsters also. Don't they deserve the chance inspite of performances?
Old 11th February 2009, 19:19   #4947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is why not try Badrinath and other few youngsters also. Don't they deserve the chance inspite of performances?
+1 to that. I frankly feel we must give another final try to Sharma. Badrinath too deserves to get some chance.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:59   #4948
BANNED

When you play for a while, you are lucky sometimes & unlucky sometimes. So, in the long term, they even out. There were number of times in the past Sachin was lucky. Now its other end of the stick.
Or may be he must start playing with the bat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12 View Post
Sachin is probably the unluckiest batsman in the history of the game...
Also add Sunil Joshi to the list - he has rescued his state umpteen number of times in Ranji.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
BTW, with the completion of the series, Sehwag has achieved a career strike rate of over 100 in ODIs
His stats:
Runs: 6293
Deliveries: 6273
SR: 100.31
Old 13th February 2009, 13:33   #4949
BANNED

India tour of New Zealand, 2008/09

India tour of New Zealand, 2008/09

Twenty20 squad: (Starts from Feb 25, 2009)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Dinesh Kaarthick, Suresh Raina, Yusuf Pathan, Pragyan Ojha, Rohit Sharma, Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja.

ODI Squad: (Starts from Mar 3, 2009)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Dinesh Kaarthick, Suresh Raina, Yusuf Pathan , Pragyan Ojha, Rohit Sharma , Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan .

Test Squad: (Starts from Mar 18, 2009)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag , Gautam Gambhir , Rahul Dravid , Sachin Tendulkar , V V S Laxman , Yuvraj Singh , Zaheer Khan , Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma , Munaf Patel, Amit Mishra , Dinesh Kaarthick, L Balaji , Dhawal Kulkarni, Murali Vijay.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:37   #4950
Team-BHP Support

Munaf Patel is a mystery. I am sure he will not last the full tour and will come back early injured. Personally would have preferred SreeSanth.
Dinesh Karthik was a disaster behind the stumps in Lanka. Lets see if he gets a chance to keep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks