Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 15:14   #9181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

This is a welcome reality check to the entire team, including all the coaches.

Next phase, overseas tests against Aus/Eng/SA. Even NZ.

And even now, Kohli will be severely tested to make sure he isn't one of the rare captains that lost a series at home. Good test of an aspiring great.

Last edited by Sawyer : 4th March 2017 at 15:24.
Old 4th March 2017, 15:36   #9182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This is a welcome reality check to the entire team, including all the coaches.
Absolutely, lets see how the team react. Needs reality check often, otherwise we get carried away.
Old 4th March 2017, 15:53   #9183
Team-BHP Support

So Pune was neither about the pitch nor a fluke, apparently.

Some really ordinary shot selection from a team that's considered one of the best players of spin.

Lyon is now Australia's top wicket-taker Vs. India. Credit where it's due, top job today.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:14   #9184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Absolutely, lets see how the team react. Needs reality check often, otherwise we get carried away.
What reality check. It's clear as anything these players just don't have the skills and class of previous generations. They can only dominate weaker bowling attacks and the moment a quality bowler turns up they are sitting ducks. Most dismissals are school boy stuff. I wonder what Kumble is doing cos I don't see any improvements.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:19   #9185
Senior - BHPian

The best players of spin thing is history; it ended with the Dravids and Laxmans. Now these guys play hardly any domestic cricket once they graduate to India colours and have lost the art of playing quality spin - when was the last time any of these guys played even Ashwin in a long spell?!

The flat track bullies label isn't far from the truth, I am afraid.
Old 4th March 2017, 18:27   #9186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ridiculous batting.
This test seems a goner
We can't tackle spin nor can we bowl spin well
Old 4th March 2017, 19:09   #9187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This test seems a goner
We can't tackle spin nor can we bowl spin well
Exactly. I was at home and watched most of the day's play. It seemed like a difficult wicket to bat on with uneven bounce and sharp turn when the Indians were batting. When the Aussies came out, it looked like a different venue. Not even a single ball misbehaved and the batsmen did not even look like getting out!
Old 4th March 2017, 19:22   #9188
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow is a very crucial day for the Indian team, it could very well decide what course the series takes & not to forget this match!

Virat Kohli is certainly feeling the pressure, everything hinges around him in the middle order.
Jadeja's scores with the bat confirm that he's a taillender now!

It appears this Australian team is better prepared than what we all thought! On paper they may not be strong, but boy have they been performing.
Old 4th March 2017, 20:12   #9189
BHPian

Well, unfortunately I was at the ground today. And I agree to most of the criticism that the team is getting here.
Not one of the any 8 wickets that Nathan got can be attributed to excellent spin bowling than less than first class quality shot selection from the Indian batsmen.
During the side change time, Kumble did a pitch inspection and marked a point for the bowlers to hit the mark during practice. Alas, not even once could Ashwin or Jadeja could hit the mark... That marking was made after inspecting the end from which Nathan was operating.. And it was a little before the good length spot.
Old 4th March 2017, 21:08   #9190
Senior - BHPian

Given the amount of money they make, I should not feel sorry for the players, but I still can't help feeling so when they also have to address press conferences at the end of the day. Even when they don't have anything sensible to say, they still have to come up with stuff that can then come across as naive at best and hilarious at worst.

Players of the past did not have this additional hurdle to navigate every day.
Old 4th March 2017, 23:00   #9191
Senior - BHPian

One thing I am seeing with modern teams is that when the lose the number of tests in the beginning of the series and to the point where they can't win the series, they lose remaining tests very quickly and without showing any resistance. So if India loses this test, they will say that the will come back, but perform otherwise. After all, they have to maintain fitness for the IPL.

Hope to get proven wrong.
Old 4th March 2017, 23:18   #9192
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Not one of the any 8 wickets that Nathan got can be attributed to excellent spin bowling
These same spinners were carted all over Brabourne stadium in the warmup match by Shreyas Iyer & company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
they lose remaining tests very quickly and without showing any resistance.
Nobody has a problem with India losing matches, but its the manner in which they are losing that is the problem, without offering any fight/resistance!
Old 4th March 2017, 23:40   #9193
Senior - BHPian

This match and the series is gone guys.

It seems India and Australia are playing on different pitches. Our batting is heavily dependent on Kohli making big. Good part of today's innings was that Rahul displayed some maturity and played with restraint for most part. Rahane really needs to think of alternate ways to get out of his shells instead of trying yo hit his way out every time going gets tough.

With the first 16 overseas of Ausie innings having gone the way it has, I think India will struggle to get 20 wickets specially with one bowler less.
Old 4th March 2017, 23:55   #9194
BHPian

On a bad pitch we had extra bowlers and on what was supposed to be a decent batting pitch we had one extra batsman. Now we are left with 4 bowlers to defend 180 odd runs now that the batting has also not clicked.
Crazy team selection.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:32   #9195
Senior - BHPian

On the IPL subject, I continue to not understand the crazy pricing or the entire valuation. Do so many people still watch IPL?

Teams that consists of overseas players in a sliding doors motion from one franchise to the next, and little regional representation means that I don't really care for the Pune franchise; or any other. My viewing has tapered down to watching just the final.

I see people still filling the stadia and having a good time; and I can understand that part and its charm. But watching at home on TV? What's the attraction? I ask because I am sure that the valuations are only based on the latter, not on physical attendances.

Do people sit glued to their TVs for the two months or so that it runs?

Most Viewed