Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 16:11   #12136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...l-2684881.html

Rahul Dravid Beats Sachin Tendulkar To Be Voted India's Best Test Batsman in Online Poll.

Can we start the same poll here?
I agree fully at the risk of getting brickbats from the Sachin fans. I have always rated Rahul Dravid and Sunil Gavaskar as the best test batsman that India has produced.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:49   #12137
Team-BHP Support

One of the best of the 3Ws no more.

RIP Sir Everton Weekes

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...s-dies-aged-95

Of course I never saw him play. Way beyond even my generation. But I did hear a lot about him along with the rest of the vintage Windies brigade from my dad.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2020 at 06:50.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:27   #12138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I agree fully at the risk of getting brickbats from the Sachin fans. I have always rated Rahul Dravid and Sunil Gavaskar as the best test batsman that India has produced.
Sachin Rahul ka baap hai!

PS: I'm referring to the Burman duo
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:27   #12139
BHPian

Quote:

Rahul Dravid Beats Sachin Tendulkar To Be Voted India's Best Test Batsman in Online Poll.

I have great respect for both players and deep down in my heart, RD wins over SRT.
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:44   #12140
BHPian

Quote:

Sachin is undoubtedly the more gifted of the two. Dravid's success can be attributed to more hard work than talent IMO. Doesn't mean Sachin didn't work hard. Just to keep the body going for as long as he did is commendable!

However, we all love Rahul not only for the batsman he is but the gentleman he's been both on and off the field. If I ever want to have a role model and a mentor to learn how to live life with modesty and humility, I will go to Sir Rahul Dravid!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:05   #12141
Senior - BHPian

Personally I feel greats should never be compared. Each has his own journey of struggles, of failures and success. We can't say Sachin is greatest or Dravid is greatest. Both played to make us proud and win matches for India. Both gave 100%. Sachin could be more flamboyant and Dravid more calm in his approach but they did their job in the best way they could. Such comparisons are unfair to them. For me both are great.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:20   #12142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Personally I feel greats should never be compared. Each has his own journey of struggles, of failures and success. We can't say Sachin is greatest or Dravid is greatest. Both played to make us proud and win matches for India. Both gave 100%. Sachin could be more flamboyant and Dravid more calm in his approach but they did their job in the best way they could. Such comparisons are unfair to them. For me both are great.
Totally agreed, all these comparisons are clickbait to keep the sites functioning. For me Dravid was a great ODI player too, why you ask, he kept wickets and worked hard to retain his position in the team. He was one of the reason we got the balance in 2003 WC to reach the finals, but then can you downplay that innings sachin played against Pak. both were equally great, legends, and i would love learn a lot of personal traits from both of them.
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:14   #12143
AZT
BHPian

Cricket's new normal faces acid test after shutdown
Quote:
An encounter between the fourth and eighth ranked teams in test cricket is hardly a pinnacle but England’s series against West Indies could offer a glimpse into a future where the game plods on under the shadow of the new coronavirus.
“Fans are tired of Zoom interviews, old matches and highlights. Finally, there’s something to look forward to and it’s very important that we get it right,” cricket historian Boria Majumdar told Reuters.
“This is the beginning of cricket’s new normal.”
Quote:
While Cricket has plotted a way to restart, the playing environment will not be the same, not least because of the absence of spectators.
Players will have to clear multiple COVID-19 tests before being herded into bio-secure bubbles and remaining there until the series is over.
Bowlers will not be able to apply saliva to the ball anymore, even if it compromises its swing, and substitutes will be allowed in test cricket for any player that contracts the virus.
Even the uniforms will be different after the ICC agreed to allow an additional logo on team shirts and sweaters to help the boards recoup some of their losses.

Novak Djokovic’s ill-fated Adria Tour tennis event, which resulted in the world number one and a string of other players testing positive for the virus, was a stark warning to sports not to try and move too quickly, Majumdar said.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN2440TO
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:25   #12144
BHPian

Good to see Nitin Menon being made a part of the Elite Panel of umpires!
Hope he performs well and goes on to follow S Venkataraghavan's footsteps in terms of umpiring quality!

Also, on a related but different note I felt S Ravi was hard done by and should have been given an extended run in the Elite panel (When Dharmasena with his howlers can be given Best Umpire of the year award, it only seems fair that S Ravi should atleast not have been singled out and given a raw deal!)
WAM-4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:03   #12145
Team-BHP Support

International cricket resumes today (English weather permitting)

Both sides have bowling units stronger than their batting units, so likely to be 3-4 days matches only.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:28   #12146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
International cricket resumes today (English weather permitting)

Both sides have bowling units stronger than their batting units, so likely to be 3-4 days matches only.
There was a time when I looked forward to the English summers just for the level of good old swing bowling. Somehow, swing bowling is now a lost art with the advent of the non sense called 20-20. Miss the glory days of a Hadlee or a Kapil or a Gough or a Marshall or for that matter a Prabhakar as well !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:30   #12147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
There was a time when I looked forward to the English summers just for the level of good old swing bowling. Somehow, swing bowling is now a lost art with the advent of the non sense called 20-20. Miss the glory days of a Hadlee or a Kapil or a Gough or a Marshall or for that matter a Prabhakar as well !!
True. Kapil and Marshall were before my time.

Even though it was a very short stint, I have very fond memories of Debasis Mohanty. Wonderful swing bowler.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:37   #12148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
True. Kapil and Marshall were before my time.

Even though it was a very short stint, I have very fond memories of Debasis Mohanty. Wonderful swing bowler.
Aah yes, Mohanty was a handful in favourable conditions specially in English conditions. Also, there was this bowler named Dion Nash of New Zealand, loved his easy bowling action with that prodigious swing. Lost the interest in Cricket these days but the romance still lingers on
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:47   #12149
BHPian

Which broadcaster or streaming service is telecasting the Eng vs WI game?
Old 8th July 2020, 19:10   #12150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Which broadcaster or streaming service is telecasting the Eng vs WI game?
Sony Six is broadcaster of the series. However, game is currently stopped due to rain.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks