Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 13:00   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

So after procrastinating in it for ages now i bit the bullet [mainly because my mother started calling me up every day asking if i have enrolled].Lazy bugger i am, there was a camp in the icici bank right next to my office where i have an account. Went there first thing in the morning with my wife, opened an account for her and we walked with the enrollment slip in an hour. Not bad.

The day after that it comes in the paper that the parliament has made note that adhaar card is not mandatory for gas subsidy! What in heavens name were they doing all this while? After numerous full page advertisements and what not saying you must have one for gas subsidy they say it is not?!
Old 31st August 2013, 18:11   #197
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Well, I had applied for the UID along with my wife in early April 2013.

I had also posted my appreciation for the process and the efficiency that we experienced in the Koramangala enrolment centre.

Many people on our forum laughed derisively at that experience and it sparked off a normal, skeptical, cynical debate about how my case was an aberration rather than a normal one etc. There were quite a few statements flaying the government as usual.

Our e-aadhar letters were ready around June 2013 and I had downloaded and scanned the same for our records.

Anyway, today 31st August 2013, we found that our local postman had dropped off our UID's in our post box at 2pm this afternoon.

To me, given the immense complexities that are faced in any endeavour owing to the sheer weight of numbers and population in India, I believe this is an excellent effort and delivery result achieved by the UIDAI authorities.

Hence, I will again loudly share my wife's and my deep appreciation for the work done by the government authorities in reaching us our UID's.

Let us create the magnanimity within ourselves to appreciate good work from our government when we see it, rather than be cynical as is typical...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st August 2013 at 18:13.
Old 31st August 2013, 18:30   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hence, I will again loudly share my wife's and my deep appreciation for the work done by the government authorities in reaching us our UID's.

Let us create the magnanimity within ourselves to appreciate good work from our government when we see it, rather than be cynical as is typical...
Dear Friend, I have similar story to share. In fact a camp was organized in my office for Aadhar and got the card within 4 months. The government has appointed good consulting firms and vendors for managing UID enrolment process. I feel engaging good private players in such schemes is useful. Another service where engaging private player helped is passport seva kendras. Efficiency has really improved.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:06   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, today 31st August 2013, we found that our local postman had dropped off our UID's in our post box at 2pm this afternoon.
That is really cool. I have registered way back in Jul 2011 and yet to receive the card.

When I check my status over the site, I get this response - "Congratulations ! Your Aadhaar has been successfully generated.You may now download the e-Aadhaar from the Resident Portal." I had downloaded the e-aadhar too, following the instructions.

My question is whether this e-aadhar a substitute for the original aadhar card? Will I ever be challenged to produce the original aadhar or is the UID number alone enough or a print out of the e-aadhar? Will I never receive the original aadhar card (or how do I get know the status of the original one)?
Old 31st August 2013, 22:15   #200
BANNED

A fresh passport in India takes 2-3 months to come - out of that it takes 2-3 weeks or more for police verification. I don't understand why you guys are raving about getting an Aadhar card in 4 months or 5 months or whatever. Something like this shouldn't take a more than a week or 2. Actually, I don't even see why they cannot print out the card on the spot and give it to you.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Actually, I don't even see why they cannot print out the card on the spot and give it to you.
If they did that, the guy running the "spot" will print a few spare cards for later use/monetization. :-)
Old 31st August 2013, 22:35   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If they did that, the guy running the "spot" will print a few spare cards for later use/monetization. :-)
So why do you think the guy who is doing it in 4 months won't print a few spare cards for later use/monetization? And why can't some random person also print an Aadhar card on his own - what's so special about it?

Anyway, aren't Aadhar cards verified before use - so what's the point in printing fake ones?

Anyway, as I said - it should happen in a week or two.

And I have no skin in this game because I haven't applied for one and nor am I planning to unless they make it compulsory.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:44   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So why do you think the guy who is doing it in 4 months won't print a few spare cards for later use/monetization?
Well, it is much cheaper for the UIDAI to secure (ie, discourage employees from independently monetizing these cards) a handful of distribution locations than several thousand enrollment centres across the country.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:00   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Well, it is much cheaper for the UIDAI to secure (ie, discourage employees from independently monetizing these cards) a handful of distribution locations than several thousand enrollment centres across the country.
First thing is - is there money in these cards - how difficult would it be to print Aadhar cards independently? Is there a point to it? If the security of the card lies in securing the distribution center, then the security is dead on arrival.

Also, even if it's the most difficult card in the world to duplicate using some super anti-duplication technology, it shouldn't be that difficult to prevent monetizing these cards at enrollment centers - all it takes is checking how many cards issued against how many blank cards provided to a enrollment center. But, even assuming what you are saying is true, it shouldn't take more than week or two. Given this I don't why people are overjoyed about getting the card in 4-5 months (actually I don't see why people are overjoyed about getting the card at all).

Last edited by carboy : 31st August 2013 at 23:02.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:38   #205
Senior - BHPian

Aadhar linked to your bank account has been made compulsory in two districts of Kerala for availing subsidy on domestic LPG. The rest of the districts has to follow suit by Nov end. It is said that it costs ~INR 900 unsubsidized and INR 445 subsidized on a cylinder.

These are as per reports of the local news channel.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:57   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First thing is - is there money in these cards - how difficult would it be to print Aadhar cards independently? Is there a point to it? If the security of the card lies in securing the distribution center, then the security is dead on arrival.
In a country where benamis and black money rule, every identity has a monetary value. :-) The problem with independently printed cards is that unlike other ID docs in India, Aadhar provides a system for online verification. So, a spurious card will be quickly caught, but a maliciously extracted card from an unsuspecting citizen can and will be misused.

Note: I didn't say that security of the card lies in securing the distribution centre - my point waas, security of the card is DoA if they do everything else but forget to secure the distribution centre.

Quote:
all it takes is checking how many cards issued against how many blank cards provided to a enrollment center.
Well, they can't do that - they need to provision for misprints, incomplete prints, prints where the cartridge ran out of ink etc. (terms I borrow from my day to day life; in the context of Aadhar the terms might be different but the situations would be similar). So if a centre issued 1000 cards, they might have to allot them 1001 blank cards (0.1% failure rate). Checking whether it is a true failure or a sham failure is easier done at the distribution centre than the enrollment centre.
Old 1st September 2013, 01:05   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Well, they can't do that - they need to provision for misprints, incomplete prints, prints where the cartridge ran out of ink etc. (terms I borrow from my day to day life; in the context of Aadhar the terms might be different but the situations would be similar). So if a centre issued 1000 cards, they might have to allot them 1001 blank cards (0.1% failure rate). Checking whether it is a true failure or a sham failure is easier done at the distribution centre than the enrollment centre.
So if the enrollment center says they have 10 misprints, then ask them to return the 10 misprinted cards.
Old 1st September 2013, 01:45   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if the enrollment center says they have 10 misprints, then ask them to return the 10 misprinted cards.
You can see where this is leading to, can't you? You now need someone to sit and count the number of such cards returned by the enrollment centre. With tens of thousands of enrollment centres, each sending a shipment daily, you need how many staff? :-)
Old 1st September 2013, 02:00   #209
BHPian

Quote:
The magnanimity would be subjective to individual experiences. I am yet to receive my UID after having enrolled in 2011, so have many friends who enrolled at the same time. I am willing to accept this delay provided they at least have the decency to reply to mails or answer the " helpline " number.
Old 1st September 2013, 02:19   #210
BHPian

Quote:
A fresh passport in India takes 2-3 months to come - out of that it takes 2-3 weeks or more for police verification. I don't understand why you guys are raving about getting an Aadhar card in 4 months or 5 months or whatever. Something like this shouldn't take a more than a week or 2. Actually, I don't even see why they cannot print out the card on the spot and give it to you.
Because we are talking about giving cards to over 120 crore indians. The whole program is designed such that people cannot get two or more aadhar cards the way many gets multiple PAN card or driving licence. I agree with you that the process should be more efficient but catering to huge population means equally huge resource requierment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks