Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:23   #241
BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Thats the belief - 10 fingers & iris scan will identify a person. Hope it works out. I am not confident because there is no study or evidence to support this belief.

But, UID must be commended to take up such a large scale project. Nobody else has attempted to cover even 10% of population what UID has achieved. Right now the data is circulated by companies with commercial interest in these biometric scanners. I wish UID shares the findings of the data openly or at least with academic community.
While I completely agree that the achievement of UADI is achieving such a breadth of coverage in such a short time.
I'm not totally comfortable in having shared my bio-metrics with the Govt.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:38   #242
Team-BHP Support

They take fingerprints even while renewing passport. And US immigration takes fingerprints while entering US. Both India and US have my fingerprints. For me it is a moot point now.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:40   #243
BHPian

They took all my identification data and never gave me the UID till now(2yrs).I just hope one fine day, police don't knock on my door saying my UID data matches with some terrorist in a random bomb blast case. Unlike the passport office who have contracted TCS, a company I can hope to entrust my ID data with, the UID contracts unheard of companies to collect data. What is the guarantee that they will not sell such info? In my case, the agency collecting data was Om softwares. There is no address, phone number, website, nothing. I don't think it even exists now. They came from Bangalore, we had to go to the designated schools and data was collected and many in our area have not received the UID till now. Few lucky ones have.
What pisses me off is that my ID data is treated so frivolously. And to boot,an ex corporate gets paid from my tax money for playing around with my ID data.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 3rd September 2013 at 19:46.
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:01   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I'm guessing that it should have meant "not with the iris scanner"
No, not with the iris scanner. replied above.

Quote:
Study published in Nature magazine - http://www.nature.com/news/ageing-ey...cans-1.10722#/

Age definitely affects and has various factors. But for the young population or in cases where children have been enrolled. Iris scans will be good and reliable till a major part of the person's life.
Even in cases where lasik surgeries are done, iris scan would differ. But then one can get that updated in CIDR using other methods which are finger prints or OTP.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ris-scans/all/
The places where Aadhaar card is supposed to get customer consent through biometrics are banks, telecom offices, insurance companies etc.
No major money involved.
eKYC, PDS are some of the benefits of an aadhaar card. would anyone invest so much just to open a fake bank account which in any case would require a PAN Card. Or to take advantage of PDS which does not involve considerable amount of money.

Yes, these things do happen in places where iris scans and finger prints are used to protect something very valuable. but here one is availing services by using a 12 digit no and biometrics.

Fooling does happen with almost every secured thing in this world - with ATMs for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
People doing manual labour, barely have any fingerprint left. I have bio-metric security in my office. We had major problem registering the office handyman/electrician since he has no fingerprints in most fingers. Finally we registered his little finger, the only finger he doesn't use for work.
Agreed, for these group of people there is iris scan and OTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How difficult is it to get someone's fingerprints?

The 3Com vendor also told me something similar - i.e. for blue collar guys you need all 10 fingerprints whereas others you can make do with a 3-4 fingers.
Very easy.
True.

Quote:
Thats the belief - 10 fingers & iris scan will identify a person. Hope it works out. I am not confident because there is no study or evidence to support this belief.

But, UID must be commended to take up such a large scale project. Nobody else has attempted to cover even 10% of population what UID has achieved. Right now the data is circulated by companies with commercial interest in these biometric scanners. I wish UID shares the findings of the data openly or at least with academic community.
It will definitely work out and we will see such projects being duplicated in other countries very soon.
Data will not be shared by CIDR with anyone expect with those who get the Aadhaar user consent through biometrics or OTP authentication.

Source of my information is that I am working closely with UIDAI for my company specific projects at its headquarters.
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:07   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
It will definitely work out and we will see such projects being duplicated in other countries very soon.
The reason why other countries aren't doing it isn't because they think it's a difficult project to implement. It's because the smarter citizens in their country can think this through and protest against it.

https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-...ional-id-cards
http://www.realnightmare.org/
http://www.aclu-nj.org/theissues/ope...idcardsincrea/
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...6821272634097/
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/articles/id.html

And a lot of countries already have a national ID card - it's mostly the ones who care less about civil liberties.
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:41   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The reason why other countries aren't doing it isn't because they think it's a difficult project to implement. It's because the smarter citizens in their country can think this through and protest against it.

https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-...ional-id-cards
http://www.realnightmare.org/
http://www.aclu-nj.org/theissues/ope...idcardsincrea/
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...6821272634097/
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/articles/id.html

And a lot of countries already have a national ID card - it's mostly the ones who care less about civil liberties.
Brother, as far as national id is considered, India already has voter Id card, PAN Card, Passport, etc.

Aadhaar cards are a different league. It a 12 digit number which links your bank account, mobile number, Proof of Address, Proof of Identity, acts as KYC, biometrics and is permanent in nature.

Also available to the people who are not able to get India's national identity cards due to lack of documents or reach to offices.

Cheers..!!
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:51   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Brother, as far as national id is considered, India already has voter Id card, PAN Card, Passport, etc.

Aadhaar cards are a different league. It a 12 digit number which links your bank account, mobile number, Proof of Address, Proof of Identity, acts as KYC, biometrics and is permanent in nature.
Exactly - that's why it's a national id card and the others are not.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:42   #248
Senior - BHPian

A birth certificate, passport or even an Aadhaar card may not be enough to prove that you are an Indian citizen if you were born after July 1, 1987.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/22249220.cms

Quote:
The Bombay high court has refused to grant relief to a man and three others charged with being illegal immigrants even after they produced passports (later terminated), Aadhaar cards and birth certificates to prove they were Indians.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:43   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A birth certificate, passport or even an Aadhaar card may not be enough to prove that you are an Indian citizen if you were born after July 1, 1987.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/22249220.cms
I think after National UID is done, we can go for National Citizenship UID project
Old 8th September 2013, 14:43   #250
BHPian

Today there is a full page add in TOI regarding UID and LPG. its a 2 step process
1-> LPG connection linked to Aadhar, and
2-> Bank Account linked to Aadhar

i understand there should not be 2 LPG connections to aadhar and the prime reason for such linking is to detect the same however cant there be 2 bank accounts to Aadhar? incase yes then in which of the 2 accounts would the money come in???

Also, whicle reading FAQs i understand there would be a biometric based delivery system. so does that mean we (in whose name the connection is) need to be present at home and parents/ wife or maid can not take the delivery of the connection?

Also all the LPG distribution companies have a link on their sites to check linking of aadhar card but where i can check for the same at bank sites??? i think i gave aadhar card update request for multiple bank accounts but these being sarkari (nationalized banks) i cant be sure and i do not want to stand for 2 hours in long queue for such a answer.
Old 10th September 2013, 13:58   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
They took all my identification data and never gave me the UID till now(2yrs).
What pisses me off is that my ID data is treated so frivolously. And to boot,an ex corporate gets paid from my tax money for playing around with my ID data.
I am In same boat as you. Just that it's Been more than 3 years now for me . I went to extend of raising a grievance on Pg portal . Got a reply after some 1 year .Reason - "There was Some technical difficulty due to which they were unable to process". nobody know what technical difficulty they has .

Now i am again doing rounds of their office. first time went there, was told to come back after 3 days . pleaded that i work in Delhi and cannot come to Himachal , just for this card. No effect.

Now went to my native previous week. Guys were on strike. Apparently they haven't been paid by contractor for 4 months now , So guys took control of all equipment and fled off.

Will it work. I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 10th September 2013 at 14:05.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:06   #252
BANNED

@.sushilkumar; There were some reports in the media that they had a major glitch for a short while.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:37   #253
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried to link their Aadhar with LPG ?

I provided my details online here 2 days ago and still waiting for a verification confirmation.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:43   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I went to extend of raising a grievance on Pg portal .
I have written to them, called on their helpline number, raised complaint at PG portal, written mails to Mr Nilekani, Mr Montek and whosever else's email I could get. Nothing happened, no replies either. Uncouth fellows. Now, I am wondering whether RTI will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@.sushilkumar; There were some reports in the media that they had a major glitch for a short while.
Why don't they accept that and tell us to enrol again. We are only told to wait. God knows where all that data went, I hope not, Pakistan.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:50   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Why don't they accept that and tell us to enrol again. We are only told to wait. God knows where all that data went, I hope not, Pakistan.
You are looking at the wrong side. You must know that the latest refugee labourers in Udupi are now Bangladeshis. Your adhaar card may have been issued to them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks