Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 13:09   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

I think the govt was thinking along these lines
https://xkcd.com/927/
anyway I'm just glad it's dying. Good riddance!
Old 25th March 2014, 13:22   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why do I need Universal ID, when I have these multiple IDs? Give adhaar to people who don't have any other ID, and leave me alone.
Precisely my point. And further, make it demand driven rather than supply (ie, someone in need will apply rather than send an enroller and make everyone sign up for one or else). Also, leave biometrics out of it. Finally, build a comprehensive legal framework around it which would safeguard privacy and prescribe stringent punishments for violations.

If we do all that, we will eventually come to the realization that our existing systems are more than capable of dealing with the perceived problems; just a little bit more care in implementation is enough.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:28   #468
Senior - BHPian

You are missing the money wasted by few other organisations who spent god knows how much on newspaper ads asking people to enroll for adhaar and how it is mandatory for subsidy.

The far reaching arms of money-wastage seems incomprehensible.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:41   #469
J.Ravi

Quote:
You don't need to use images for ₹ symbol. Just use the keyboard method.
Thanks a lot for enlightening me, Samurai. My laptop's OS is Windows 8. So, it is very easy now. Ctrl+Alt+4 types ₹. No more uploading the symbol.

Old 25th March 2014, 21:23   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You mean the way my parents made sure their address was entered correctly? Fine, they did that. Still Aadhar software turned that into garbage.
Have you tried correcting the incorrect address on their website?

They have an option on their website where they let you correct some details on-line / by post.

Just wondering if it works.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:19   #471
Senior - BHPian

Statement made by Nandan Nilekani, former UIDAI chairman:
Quote:
On allegation that Aadhaar is given to "illegal immigrants", Nilekani said: "Aadhaar only gives you a unique identity, not a citizenship card. Anyone residing in the country can get an Aadhaar card because the number does not guarantee citizenship."
Quote:
He also denied the allegations that Aadhaar provides Indian identity to Pakistani terrorists. "The Aadhaar database is stored safely and securely under government control, and cannot be stolen and sold.
Quote:
When the government agency CBI requested Aadhaar information, the UIDAI moved the Supreme Court in protest, and the court on Monday upheld the UIDAI stand. This was in response to a motion filed by the UIDAI itself, since the agency didn't want to share resident's data for a criminal investigation," he said.
Quote:
UIDAI itself doesn't make the number mandatory. Any government agencies may decide to make the number mandatory to remove leakages and fraud in their systems.
Quote:
On getting Aadhaar in the name of Bin Laden, he said it's a fundamental misunderstanding of it works. "You can get an Aadhaar acknowledgement slip under a fake name, but your biometrics will be linked to it. If you have a previous Aadhaar number, the Bin Laden Aadhaar will be rejected as duplicate," he added
While I agree with Nilekani on other points, I don't think UIDAI has the technical capability to find duplicates in their database. They claim their false positive rate is 0.057%, which for a billion is 570,000 mistakes. So out of 570,000, which one will they identify as original?

Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/32689663.cms

Last edited by msdivy : 27th March 2014 at 12:22.
Old 27th March 2014, 17:10   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
While I agree with Nilekani on other points, I don't think UIDAI has the technical capability to find duplicates in their database. They claim their false positive rate is 0.057%, which for a billion is 570,000 mistakes. So out of 570,000, which one will they identify as original?
The answer lies in the above statement itself which is "If you have a previous Aadhaar number, the Bin Laden Aadhaar will be rejected as duplicate," he added

Info which is already present will be considered as original.
Old 5th April 2014, 08:54   #473
BHPian

NN goes to extreme lengths to defend this fraudulent project and gets rapped!
Nationwide UID - will it work?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396668285.286771.jpg
Old 24th April 2014, 23:55   #474
BANNED

Those who have applied Uid card - please clear my doubt.

Recently applied aadhar card
while scanning fingers, my one finger didn't get scan (showing cross sign on finger on enrollment receipt) so want to know if its okay or not ?

With that factor is it possible it will get reject ?

Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 07:56   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Those who have applied Uid card - please clear my doubt.

Recently applied aadhar card
while scanning fingers, my one finger didn't get scan (showing cross sign on finger on enrollment receipt) so want to know if its okay or not ?

With that factor is it possible it will get reject ?

Thanks
Nothing much to worry about. The tick mark indicates that the corresponding fingerprint can be used whenever authentication is required. Hence, in the future if at all this card gets useful, or your identity is to be verified, you can use any finger other than the ones marked by cross to provide finger prints. Thats it. For my grandfather, only six fingers had a clear fingerprint. The rest had smoothened out because of his age.

So its okay if a few prints dont appear. If there is a problem in the data being provided during registration for aadhar, the process wont go till the point of generating the acknowledgement. Since you've got the acknowledgement, you just have to wait for the card to arrive.
Old 25th April 2014, 09:36   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Ho what I want is ,I tell this number to what ever authority that asks and he should be able to get all the details .All integrated into one .

Imagine ,you are driving or riding . Some one stops ,you just tell him this number ,he should be able to get you license ,your insurance , your age, etc etc without all the papers work non sense .

You shouldn't carry anything ,just the number .Just make sure you have your data updated all the time . It would be wonderful .
I completely agree with you. It would be so much easier to maintain everything into a single database. But the question is, will it be secured? Hackers will have all your information on the tip of their fingers. Does our nation has such a level of internet security to protect us from any fraud that would occur by the misuse of information?
Old 25th April 2014, 19:46   #477
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
NN goes to extreme lengths to defend this fraudulent project and gets rapped!
Attachment 1226801
Well deserved rap!
And the best part is that Rajeev and Nandan live in the same neighbourhood in Bangalore! They must be wanting to beat each other on their morning walks...or perhaps as with everything in this place, it is a pose!
Old 25th April 2014, 20:11   #478
BHPian

Hiliarious.. your voter id records.. Ration card info is lying in the open & searchable online for everyone to see and people here are dissing the superb high-tech biometric security system put in by Aadhaar.

This project has the potential to pay itself over multiple times by cutting corruption & leakage and only vested interests would oppose it.
Old 26th April 2014, 11:46   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Hiliarious.. your voter id records.. Ration card info is lying in the open & searchable online for everyone to see and people here are dissing the superb high-tech biometric security system put in by Aadhaar.

This project has the potential to pay itself over multiple times by cutting corruption & leakage and only vested interests would oppose it.
Having information online by itself is not a terrible problem. I myself have chosen to do so (my linkedin profile, for example). The telephone directories of yore had full residential addresses and phone numbers available (BSNL still has an online directory searchable both ways).

My issue with Aadhar is the finality of it. It is supposed to be mandatory (not opt-in). Very little has been divulged on who has access to the data and how it is supposed to be used. In a world where suspended policemen could call up the so-called "Cyber Cell" and get information on the location of a private citizen to settle personal scores, this is a make-or-break issue for me.

The rest of the world seem to have gotten along pretty well controlling corruption and leakage without a mandatory, biometric ID system, so why can't we?

I am not even commenting on the reported faults with the database yet (fake Aadhar, double Aadhar...) or the fact that the UIDEA has no legal or constitutional authority vested on it yet to undertake this project.

I just hope someone launches an enquiry into the sequence of events that led to the UIDEA playing a massive scam on the people and finances of this country.
Old 26th April 2014, 12:25   #480
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am not even commenting on the reported faults with the database yet (fake Aadhar, double Aadhar...) or the fact that the UIDEA has no legal or constitutional authority vested on it yet to undertake this project.

I just hope someone launches an enquiry into the sequence of events that led to the UIDEA playing a massive scam on the people and finances of this country.
UIDEA ? You just seemed to have coined a new acronym for the Unique ID Authority (UIDAI) - If that was intended as a joke, yes it's a good one, akin to what an Idea Sirji
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks