Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 19:49   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Great! Can you please show the pot size you used for these tomato plants?
Medium sized pots, with single plant in each pot. Will need props as the plant will have to hold the weight of tomatoes and resist the sway due to wind.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200831_191412.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200831_191324.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200831_191204.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 21:07   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Anyone has any ideas about these buggers? Someone suggested mixing jaggery in water and spraying the trees, so as to attract other species of ants to drive these ones away. Not sure how that will work out.
A 2% Boric Acid solution in Sugar water is a well known Bait and eradicate type solution.

Simple recipe is One cup water 6-8 teaspoons of sugar mix well. Add a teaspoon of Boric acid mix well. Soak cotton balls or small containers where you see the most infestations and it should gradually reduce.

As with all baits keep it away from young ones and pets.
sreedotk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 21:46   #363
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Medium sized pots, with single plant in each pot. Will need props as the plant will have to hold the weight of tomatoes and resist the sway due to wind.

Attachment 2049965

Attachment 2049964

Attachment 2049963
Lovely growth, plants look little over vegetative, consider pruning to stimulate greater reproductiveness. One tomato plant has the capacity to produce upto 20 kg over its lifetime provided we can nourish it well.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:41   #364
Senior - BHPian

Continuing my experiment with hydroponics

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200831_175130.jpg
Green mustard (lai xaak)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200831_175010.jpg
Tomato plants are fruiting
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:10   #365
BHPian

Guys, any suggestions for a good garden cultivator/trowel?

Found this on amazon and find it pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.in/KRIYAA-Garden-...mg_top?ie=UTF8
Old 7th September 2020, 17:01   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Guys, any suggestions for a good garden cultivator/trowel?

Found this on amazon and find it pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.in/KRIYAA-Garden-...mg_top?ie=UTF8
Get sturdier ones from your local nursery, or from roadside ironsmith.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 16:58   #367
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved into my ancestral house and just finding my feet after some renovation works...the house has a pretty big garden area (i was in a flat for 12 years so everything looks big and spacious).

Doing a bit of digging here and there to let rain water flow out and i found (thanks to google) fat indian meal moth's worms. White with a bright orange/red head along with earthworms.

Now i know that earthworms are good for the soil, but what about these moth worms? Should i leave them be in the soil or should i be chucking them out?
Old 4th October 2020, 19:39   #368
BHPian

Tried growing green chillies from seeds. But the plant that has grown doesn't look a chili plant. Not able to identify which plant it is, need help.Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201004_151155.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd November 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Typo
Old 8th October 2020, 11:05   #369
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Tried growing green chillies. Not able to identify which plant it is, need help.Attachment 2062935
This is a wild variety of amaranthus, a common weed in fields and pastures.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd November 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:15   #370
BHPian

The bitter battle for our backyard wages on and we are on the losing side. The enemy has taken over our yard, trees, front porch and now our car.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201116_125022.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201116_124940.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201116_125004.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201116_124955.jpg

They are everywhere and their numbers seem to grow exponentially. All the squirrels have disappeared. Even the crows don't visit our backyard now. These guys are hyper aggressive. I've seen them lift and carry off a snail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I have heard people talk well about Amish spray - its available on Amazon. you can give it a try.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...MEE0F855&psc=1
Tried it, with mixed results. The red ants are not very attracted to this product. It does attract other types of ants though. Planning to keep trying this till the bottle runs out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
A 2% Boric Acid solution in Sugar water is a well known Bait and eradicate type solution.

Simple recipe is One cup water 6-8 teaspoons of sugar mix well. Add a teaspoon of Boric acid mix well. Soak cotton balls or small containers where you see the most infestations and it should gradually reduce.

As with all baits keep it away from young ones and pets.
Tried every possible permutation and combination of the mixture. Made it into a paste, syrup, liquid. These guys are not interested. Tried spraying them with multiple dilutions of boric acid, no effect.

So far, the only thing that does seem to work is the Hit insect killer spray. Does the job, kills every one of them. But they come back after a day or so.

Any suggestions

On a slightly positive note, we've had an unlikely ally in our battle. This guy showed up on our front porch and made a feast of these ants. Cleared our entire front porch and garden!! Hope he sticks around for a few more days!

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201120_123131.jpg
GeneralJazz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:01   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
The enemy has taken over our yard, trees, front porch and now our car.
Those weaver ants !

random points - not tested.

1. I heard that to reduce them climbing trees, we can try apply a patch of grease around the trunk. This may help to stop them climbing up /down.

2. I had small black ants in my car. I sprayed diesel, and they were controlled.

You may need to get help of commercial pest control service for this.
Old 5th December 2020, 17:35   #372
Senior - BHPian

Making my first entry to this thread! Went and got three small plants from a nursery nearby, to set my balcony garden up. Got two small pots of White Lily, also known as peace lily as the person at the nursery garden told me these are hardy plants and are well suited for indoor balcony gardens. The third plant I chose because it looked cute, but neither me nor the kind woman at the nursery had a clue about what plant that was. But despite not knowing what plant it was, she still charged me 250 Rs, the same rate as the Peace Lily plants

One worry though - of the two Lily plants, one has started turning pale and yellow and has deteriorated a lot over the last 24 hours. I read online that it is because of lack of water and I replenished it, but still no signs of improvement. I just wanted to take an opinion from the experts here if the images below show lack of water or signs of root rot. Please help

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20201205_121300.jpg
The healthy White Lily

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20201205_121307.jpg
The unknown plant - any pointers on what plant it is and the care it requires would be much appreciated.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20201205_121322.jpg
The fading Lily, please help me save it!

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20201205_121331.jpg
The peat soil it came with was moist, I still went ahead and watered it to try and improve its state.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 22:35   #373
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

One worry though - of the two Lily plants, one has started turning pale and yellow and has deteriorated a lot over the last 24 hours. I read online that it is because of lack of water and I replenished it, but still no signs of improvement. I just wanted to take an opinion from the experts here if the images below show lack of water or signs of root rot. Please help

Attachment 2089540
The fading Lily, please help me save it!

Attachment 2089541
The peat soil it came with was moist, I still went ahead and watered it to try and improve its state.
There could be any number of reasons for yellowing and wilting of this plant, since you say it has happened in last 24 hrs its most likely to be transportation injury, probably the roots got pulled. Don't over water and try to give as much sun as possible. do let us know if it pulls through. Other reasons which could result in such a situation are severe nutritional deficiency, root rot and even over watering.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 01:38   #374
BHPian

My first post in the thread. Was married this Feb, and my wife's interest in gardening awakened my lost interest in gardening. Marriage not only added colours to my life, but also to our garden. We setup a small home garden this quarantine, and have been enjoying gardening.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden1.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden2.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden3.jpg

Please forgive the smiley, as I didn't have any other pic. Clockwise: Green chilli, Lady's finger/Okra, Tomato, and Capsicum.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden4.jpg

Owing to space constraints in my house, work from home and all, few months back my wife and I rented a place right next to our own house. The below pic is our small balcony garden in the rented place.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden5.jpg

Will keep updating the thread going forward with our gardening activities, and learn from fellow bhpians and stalwarts here.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 04:34   #375
Senior - BHPian

Gardenia Augusta is going bonkers.
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20201121_083403760.jpg
download2live is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks