Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2024, 11:49   #7486
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Hi experts, given the recent changes to LRS, what is the best way to buy anything in an overseas country if you are visiting there? For example, if visiting Singapore and you have a plan of spending around 2-3k SGD, what is the best way? Just use the International Credit Card you have(I have HDFC Infinia metal)? Or take that much cash as Forex? Or travelers' card?

Just want to save on unnecessary fees and transaction charges and also comply with LRS. Any help on this would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Last edited by penpavan : 24th March 2024 at 11:50. Reason: yo-->you, use proper apostrophe
Old 25th March 2024, 08:37   #7487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hi experts, given the recent changes to LRS, what is the best way to buy anything in an overseas country if you are visiting there? For example, if visiting Singapore and you have a plan of spending around 2-3k SGD, what is the best way? Just use the International Credit Card you have(I have HDFC Infinia metal)? Or take that much cash as Forex? Or travelers' card?

Just want to save on unnecessary fees and transaction charges and also comply with LRS. Any help on this would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Use credit cards for purchases overseas.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 08:48   #7488
BHPian

Quote:
...Just use the International Credit Card you have(I have HDFC Infinia metal)?...
Do check out the global value program, IIRC this cancels out the markup fee and even gives back some cashback amount.
Remember that while making the swipe on the POS, use the local currency (not INR) to get the benefit of the program.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 07:01   #7489
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a Vistara Axis Infinite card that gives me Vistara gold status. But I received an email today from Vistara that I have been downgraded to Silver now. Does anyone know the reason for this? Since I am paying >12K as membership fee for the Axis Card, why am I getting downgraded?
Old 26th March 2024, 08:15   #7490
BHPian

Quote:

Wouldn't it be better to employ alternative means like using cash? There has been a sharp decline in card usage abroad since the deductions started to occur. Else you can continue using the card, pay the requisite TCS and get it back with the next ITR.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 26th March 2024 at 08:35.
Old 26th March 2024, 10:02   #7491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Guys, I have a Vistara Axis Infinite card that gives me Vistara gold status. But I received an email today from Vistara that I have been downgraded to Silver now. Does anyone know the reason for this? Since I am paying >12K as membership fee for the Axis Card, why am I getting downgraded?
As per https://www.axisbank.com/docs/defaul...redit-card.pdf
year 2 onwards you need to meet the regular gold criteria. Perhaps that may be your case.
alexgv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 10:29   #7492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Does anyone know the reason for this? Since I am paying >12K as membership fee for the Axis Card, why am I getting downgraded?
Card got devalued from Mar 1 onwards, now you need 4 flights and 15000 points to maintain gold tier.

Further devaluations are on the way for pretty much all axis cards from Apr 20th, it would be good to evaluate if they are worth renewing going ahead.
Noctis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 00:23   #7493
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Do check out the global value program, IIRC this cancels out the markup fee and even gives back some cashback amount.
Remember that while making the swipe on the POS, use the local currency (not INR) to get the benefit of the program.
It does not fully cancel mark up fees which is 2% + GST. It gives 1% as cashback upto 1000 Rupees per calender month for international transactions. Still a good deal as effective mark up is 1% + GST. GVP costs 200 + GST per year, so just calculate whether spends cover the fee through cashback during one off trips.

To the OP
I read Singapore started accepting UPI. Not sure of acceptance levels but please give a try and let us know the ground situation
Old 28th March 2024, 09:13   #7494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
It does not fully cancel mark up fees which is 2% + GST. It gives 1% as cashback upto 1000 Rupees per calender month for international transactions.
You have not factored in the the regular reward points for infinia which are in the ballpark of 3%. This effectively cancels out the charges.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 12:11   #7495
BHPian

Have a query on HDFC Smart-buy using Diners Metal Black.
The Smart-buy - diners website gives 10x reward point on hotel booking, whereas the Pay-zap app shows 10X rewards plus 5% cash back.
Has anyone used the Pay-zap app for such bookings and if yes did you get the 5% cashback over and above the 10X reward points ?
It is very confusing on HDFC smart-buy if to use the diners card microsite on smart buy or the pay-zap app.
Thanks in advance.
Old 28th March 2024, 12:16   #7496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Can anybody here who has used this, tell me more about it.
Used this one recently in Delhi T3 and T2. If you are not carrying the physical card, then take a screen shot of the QR code generated and share it with your family member for those to be scanned. One problem that will arise though is they check the name on the card/QR code and the boarding pass and it should match for the adults. Kids are fine though.

If the lounge is full/busy then they are quite strict with the above as well as the 2 hours timeframe. Otherwise, they are a little more lenient.
Old 28th March 2024, 18:03   #7497
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
You have not factored in the the regular reward points for infinia which are in the ballpark of 3%. This effectively cancels out the charges.
Of course. I am just talking only about the direct cash benefit without reward points in the calculations. With reward points, yes it will be definitely better.
Old 28th March 2024, 18:56   #7498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
Have a query on HDFC Smart-buy using Diners Metal Black.
The Smart-buy - diners website gives 10x reward point on hotel booking, whereas the Pay-zap app shows 10X rewards plus 5% cash back.
Has anyone used the Pay-zap app for such bookings and if yes did you get the 5% cashback over and above the 10X reward points ?
It is very confusing on HDFC smart-buy if to use the diners card microsite on smart buy or the pay-zap app.
Thanks in advance.
I think it is either 10X RP or 5% CB. For DCB it is 10X RP. For other cards like Millennia it is 5% CB.

I use the specific site (reward360../v1/infinia) for flight and hotel bookings and Payzapp app for other shopping vouchers. But I guess you could use Payzapp app for flight and hotel bookings as well. The specific site is mainly for specific rewards that the card provides; in your case DCB
amahale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 20:16   #7499
mxx
BHPian

Anyone using RBL or IDFC credit card? How is the experience? Any major issues?
I have per-approved cards available from these two banks. Although I dont need any new cards now, but I just thought I would take one of them for better CIBIL scores. Maybe use it for occasional Amazon, Flipkart card offers.
Old 31st March 2024, 20:45   #7500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Anyone using RBL or IDFC credit card? How is the experience? Any major issues?
I have per-approved cards available from these two banks. Although I dont need any new cards now, but I just thought I would take one of them for better CIBIL scores. Maybe use it for occasional Amazon, Flipkart card offers.
Had a Zomato RBL card which they moved to some RBL Shoprite. Pretty bad app and service. Planning to close it.

IDFC, I have the IDFC Wealth life time free. The app and customer service is decent. Great limit too. Have kept it just because it is LTF.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks