Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 14:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I am just looking at alternatives to the return commute in case the truck has not been cleared.
The truck should be removed by evening. Swanand has posted the latest snap in the Accidents in India thread and in that a tow truck is already doing duty.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:29   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
The truck should be removed by evening. Swanand has posted the latest snap in the Accidents in India thread and in that a tow truck is already doing duty.

One of my colleague just came in for the 2nd shift and he mentioned that the truck has been moved out and there is not traffic on the highway now.
the-rare-one is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:55   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about all you guys getting stuck. That Praj exit is a nightmare and the sooner they shut it up the better. Anyone from Bavdhan can either take the Pashan route or Chandni Chowk route to the bypass. I don't see the sense of having an unpatrolled right/U-turn on a high-speed national highway!

Considering the trouble the cops put us through to exit Hinjewadi (take the flyover and U-turn or go via a 3 km detour at Wakad), why this stepmotherly treatment to Bavdhan? Are lives less precious there?

OK- I hop off my soapbox now. Point made I think
Old 1st August 2011, 18:44   #139
BHPian

Guys, just reached home. It has been raining throughout the road from H'wadi till warje thereafter was not a drop of water. Please drive slowly and carefully.

Saw one more pile up at Praj corner where in two canters were piled on the road divider in direction from chandni chowk towards --> wakad. Though the situation was being almost cleared still want you guys to be careful while driving as its a very perfect time for pileups and cascades.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 1st August 2011 at 19:08.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:06   #140
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this:
INDIA COMMUTES

Hope this helps someone. During Pilot phase, there is no extra charge as per the website.
Note: I have personally not used this service, but will use when I get an opportunity.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:16   #141
Senior - BHPian

^SUN: That looks like a good initiative. Only thing that needs to be found out is, once we call the autowallah, would he give us the usual ramblings on extra money being charged, extra for luggage, cant go to that area and all that jazz .

But a good initiative nonetheless.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^SUN: That looks like a good initiative. Only thing that needs to be found out is, once we call the autowallah, would he give us the usual ramblings on extra money being charged, extra for luggage, cant go to that area and all that jazz .
But a good initiative nonetheless.
Good initiative, but the skeptic in me is roused once more. We have a rick stand a minutes walk from where I live now, but none of them are willing to go anywhere unless it is exactly Chandni Chowk or Deccan. In which case, I might as well take the bus!

Swanand; 'cant go to that area' was one of the reasons I bought the jazz (well even more so the nano); just picking up your line
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just came across this:
INDIA COMMUTES

Hope this helps someone. During Pilot phase, there is no extra charge as per the website.
Note: I have personally not used this service, but will use when I get an opportunity.
Quote:
^SUN: That looks like a good initiative. Only thing that needs to be found out is........
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Good initiative, but the skeptic in me is roused once more.

Good initiative, but after going through the fine print, I back the doubts of the members. Finding an auto was never a problem, it was the service and the demand for extra money that was.

The problem here is they do not own any vehicle and are disclaiming any demand for extra charge by saying that "cost may increase subject to jams, repairs, festivals etc". Also they ask us to complain about faulty meters if they come across one.

None of the above saves us from whims and fancies of autowalla, he would still be with "my way or high way" attitude. I hope something like call taxi happens with autos too. But this initiative is miles away from being one, but yeah a very good start!
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:01   #144
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps this accident has been reported earlier. I am not sure if any of you have seen this pothole.
The article has some stats about accidents on NH4

Accident victim's kin to drag NHAI to court

Grim statistics
Accidents on the Mumbai-Bangalore highway on the Pune to Khandala stretch from January-July this year
Fatal accidents: 18
Deaths: 19
Serious accidents: 15;
Injured: 22
Minor accidents: 19
Injured: 19

These are only the accidents that have been reported. IMHO there would be other unreported minor accidents.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd August 2011 at 11:05.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

^Wow, those figures are shocking, to say the least. And thats in a span of 7 odd months.
What I would like to point out is, how many of those are due to potholes or ir-regular roads? Most of the times, the accidents are caused due to negligence. Not trying to cover up NHAI's wrong doing here, but havent we all seen morons driving haphazardly on the roads?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:30   #146
Senior - BHPian

Satara-Kolhapur stretch between Pune Bangalore highway is a mess. The most dangerous part of the problem is that these death holes appear from no where on otherwise impeccable road.

I'd seen at least three accidents because of this. One of them was an over turned truck which seemed to have lost control when the driver tried a last minute swerve.

In another incident the Innova which I was following hit the ditch pretty bad. One of the passenger was hurt and was bleeding too, luckily nothing worse happened, but it has a potential to!
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:04   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^Wow, those figures are shocking, to say the least. And thats in a span of 7 odd months.
What I would like to point out is, how many of those are due to potholes or ir-regular roads? Most of the times, the accidents are caused due to negligence. Not trying to cover up NHAI's wrong doing here, but havent we all seen morons driving haphazardly on the roads?
Swanand, and these are only the figures for the Pune - Khandala stretch. I cannot begin to imagine the numbers for the Khandala - Panvel area; I know of a few from only the last few months. I have to go to Bombay and I dread driving on the eway altogether; some kind of aversion to going in that direction! I think people these days just aim their vehicles in a general direction than drive them properly.

I was hoping things would be better southward on the NH4 towards Kolhapur, but Anil has reported otherwise. I am glad my travel plans are on hold!
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:17   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think people these days just aim their vehicles in a general direction than drive them properly.
Though inappropriate to post this, considering the serious matter that is being discussed, i found the above hilarious.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:46   #149
Senior - BHPian

What I have noticed most of the times on the E-Way is, most of the cars never bother to budge when you want to overtake them. You would have a moron driving in the extreme right lane at 80, and still not move to the middle lane, allowing you to overtake. This is mostly true for MH12 and MH14 registered vehicles.
On the other hand, I've seen Bombay registered cars, give way at the slightest hint of an overtake request/gesture from you. I may be worng in assuming this, but Bombay people in general have more patience/courtesy while driving, as compared to their Pune counterparts.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 11:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Road repair work being carried out on the bypass.
One opp Balewadi (towards Wakad bridge), where the roads had developed craters due to the rains, and the other one opp Mahindra First Choice Bavdhan (going towards Chandani Chowk).
BY the looks of the work being carried out, does'nt look like a makeshift work. Proper road digging and levelling being carried out, at least in these two incidents.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks