Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 10:48   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yesterday, while returning home, it took me 1.5 hrs to cover 11 km from my company in Baner to my home in Kothrud. The Bavdhan road is a full mess. I was surprised to see so many potholes on this road, specially right in front of the defense colony (DRDO I guess). This road had always been one of the best roads till a year back.
I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, but the roads were better then. Did you also experience people speeding up the wrong side while you were caught in traffic? IMHO, this is the main reason for the traffic blockade apart from some unruly drivers joining Bavdhan road from the Praj exit on the bypass. That section needs to be regulated by a properly working traffic signal
Old 6th September 2011, 10:52   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, but the roads were better then. Did you also experience people speeding up the wrong side while you were caught in traffic? IMHO, this is the main reason for the traffic blockade apart from some unruly drivers joining Bavdhan road from the Praj exit on the bypass. That section needs to be regulated by a properly working traffic signal
Well people speeding up the wrong direction is a common practice in Pune. The bottleneck is at: The junction where the highway traffic meets Bavdhan road and then right at the Petrol pump due to some work going on there. At times driving a car becomes a torture on this road. Unfortunately, the other option I have is SB road which is another story
Old 6th September 2011, 10:55   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Witnessed this today morning, where else, but NH4 :

At the turn just before Praj exit to Bavdhan my bus had slowed down for some reason in the right lane. Just then, a white Polo 1.6, MH12GV registered, slammed hard on its brakes for some reason. Behind him, a guy on a black pulsar and his female partner in a pink raincoat couldnt (even though they were some distance behind), and rear ended the Polo hard. I think the lady also made impact with the car as the bike was thrown on the side. She was on the verge of or maybe was crying, but was on her feet. Full raincoat may have saved her some scratches though.

And the reason for all this ?
A cow had merrily ambled across the road.
It had a bell around its neck. Up ahead near HEMRL, I saw about a dozen of its brethren, all surely domesticated.
Owners of such animals should be severely fined, for letting them loose to graze on a national highway. Owner was nowhere in sight btw.

PS : The lady who took the tumble wasnt wearing a helmet.
When i passed that stretch the Polo was still there and there was a bike on the road. Could see people including the Polo owner trying to help the lady. I was wondering what exactly happened. Thanks sajo for the info.

Cow menance is increasing every day. Now we have to watch out for pot holes, cows, people crossing the highway at blind turns, morons on the road criss-crossing and driving like maniacs. It sure has become stressful. Sajo i guess you are having a less stressful journey now.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 11:19   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
... It sure has become stressful. Sajo i guess you are having a less stressful journey now.
Yep. And I have even less stress knowing tht I am not spending money to get some stress in return.

BTW, another accident I saw on Sunday morning.
This was on Karve Road, just after the BSNL signal. I was going towards Paud Road, but this happened on the other side.
From the looks of it, a Piaggio Ape decided to save a buck or two by going on the wrong side at that signal. Yes, in broad daylight, 11 AM or thereabouts. Something happened there,maybe a sudden turn on his side and it clipped a beige i10 going in the correct direction. Result : The cargo three wheeler toppled over.
There might be injuries to the rick driver though.
My mom, who was with me, exclaimed loudly about how some people who go on the wrong side on roads like these need to have their IQ examined. I decided to keep quiet about Hinjewadi then.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:11   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep. And I have even less stress knowing tht I am not spending money to get some stress in return.
<excuse>How I wish my company transport is sport enough send us buses for ADULTS. All our company transport buses are designed for school children and I could hardly fit my frame into any of the seats.</excuse>

Today there was a huge jam on the village road from Hinjewadi to Phase 3. Waited for more than 10 minutes and took a detour, anyone knows why the jam happened? Time: 11:40.

Quote:
By village road, you mean the one going from Sus ?
No, from Hinjewadi Chowk to Phase 3 Via Phase 1 and the village~

Last edited by anilisanil : 6th September 2011 at 12:20.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:15   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
<excuse>How I wish my company transport is sport enough send us buses for ADULTS. All our company transport buses are designed for school children and I could hardly fit my frame into any of the seats.</excuse>
Well, I can fit in my frame alright. Its just that after I do, my co-passengers have problems doing the same.
Efficient public transport though can solve or rather help minimize many of our woes in the HJW sector.
By village road, you mean the one going from Sus ?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:11   #262
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Sajo, thats unbelievable! As if humans werent enough, now animals have started causing chaos on that stretch! Poor Polo owner. Rego states the car to be relatively new (MH12 GV). Lucky for the lady to not have suffered severe damage. Learn a lesson and wear a helmet.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:12   #263
dot
Senior - BHPian

Oh, you all should come to Yerawada and Khadki to check out real deal Buffalo traffic and buffalo jams. Countless I tell you. Typically they all amble out during office time only; while their caretaker normally jaywalking in a different world somewhere else. Then of course, the poetry of motion, when two buffalos decides to chase each other in middle of car traffic. Ah beauty.

While all these happens, the normally LHD rule becomes RHD or dual HD or something in-between. Finally and invariably, autos tend to seize up during these situations.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 11:06   #264
Senior - BHPian

Almost the same situation that @Sajo mentioned the other day. Same spot (probably the same cow, grazing). This cow was on the median, and for some reason decided to swerve her derriere. The car in front of me almost hit that poor animal.

My suggestion to all those using the bypass. Please avoid the road. Not only do you cause pollution in that area, you also disturb the poor animals who are out to graze on a National Highway! They also have a right to use the road, you know.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 8th September 2011 at 11:07.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 11:20   #265
Senior - BHPian

Well, if it makes you feel any better, around 10 buffaloes were sauntering up the road from FC road to BMCC. Exactly in the centre of the road. How do I know? because they were sashaying up the white dotted line. They did ensure that everyone stayed in their lane and traffic was refreshingly discplined. Result: no jam today! I guess we should recruit more buffaloes and fit them with nice fluorescent jackets or reflectors if we cannot afford dividers on all roads, at least in town.

By the way, I spotted 3 extra bright yellow topped rickshaws today and they seemed out of place but familiar. After jogging my memory cells a bit, I placed them to be either Bangalore or Chennai ones, especially from the green chassis. I did notice later that 2 of them were TN registered and the third was KA registered (red number plates). All were spotted outside Vanaz factory on Paud road, heading towards Chandni Chowk. At least 2 had torn new plastic overs fluttering on their passenger seats and drivers were not in rick wala uniform. What could they be upto in these parts?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 12:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What could they be upto in these parts?
Possibly on a tour to learn the tricks of the trade from Pune autowallah's! They (Pune autowallahs) need to be classified as the worst drivers around.

On a serious note, these could be newly manufactured auto's that are "On Test" here in Pune, and once testing is done, could be shipped to those parts of the country. Just a wild guess though.

Also, I agree to the noble idea of using the bovine creatures as dividers. Taking one's safety into consideration, one would stick to the lane and not venture around!
Old 8th September 2011, 12:48   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

There was an accident of some sort at the river bridge on the bypass just before the Hinjewadi turnoff. I saw this black Linea reg no. 2105 pulled over and parked by the side of the road and another car (white small hatch- don't remember exactly) a little ahead of it. Hope the guy was fine- not a BHPian AFAIK but the owner probably works in my company since I have seen that car parked in our parking lot a few times.

The bypass is in truly pathetic shape these days: I had two solid underchassis grazes in quick succession on the stretch near Europa Skoda last night. Also, please avoid the orange route through HJW village- there are 3 Ganapati pandals and a couple of crazy bottom-grazer potholes on that road, as I found out the hard way last night.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 13:05   #268
BHPian

Pashan road has started to become quiet a nightmare in last 6 months or so. First came the huge unscientfic speedbreakers. Last time I counted they were 12 of them from Chandani chowk to Pashan circle. And now after rains there are potholes in the speed breaker itself which is very dangerous.

On top of that they are doing some drainage construction at 5 different places on pashan road which is causing further jams during rush hour.

God can only save Pashan road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yesterday, while returning home, it took me 1.5 hrs to cover 11 km from my company in Baner to my home in Kothrud. The Bavdhan road is a full mess. I was surprised to see so many potholes on this road, specially right in front of the defense colony (DRDO I guess). This road had always been one of the best roads till a year back.
Old 8th September 2011, 13:25   #269
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing a pile up almost everyday, nowadays. A Beat rear ended a TATA ACE when the latter tried to panic brake to avoid a pot hole. Of course, this happened on the opposite side of the road(opposite My Car ). Average speeds above 50 are pretty dangerous on these stretches!! Exercise caution and look out for a possible pile up ALWAYS, be wary if someone is tailing you too close.
Old 8th September 2011, 13:51   #270
Team-BHP Support

Be careful while driving from Pashan Circle towards Chandni Chowk on the "Necklace" stretch. Just as you enter the sweeping right handed curve you'll encounter potholes big enough to swallow an entire car.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks