Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:59   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Did anyone read about that accident on Karve Rd (a couple of days ago)? This happened in borad daylight. A PMPML bus literally climbed onto the divider. Such was the force, that the traffic signal pole broke into pieces. Reason for the accident? A biker came in the opposite direction (wrong way) all of a sudden.

The poor PMPML driver had to swerve right to avoid colision. Last I read, the driver was being treated in a private hospital on acount of broken bones.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:01   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Did anyone read about that accident on Karve Rd (a couple of days ago)? This happened in borad daylight. A PMPML bus literally climbed onto the divider. Such was the force, that the traffic signal pole broke into pieces. Reason for the accident? A biker came in the opposite direction (wrong way) all of a sudden.

The poor PMPML driver had to swerve right to avoid colision. Last I read, the driver was being treated in a private hospital on acount of broken bones.
Couple of days back i was on the stretch and i could see couple of guys removing and carrying the signal pole. I even remarked to my wife - "looks like Pune traffic Police has reached a conclusion that traffic signals are not required in Pune". Did not know that it was because of this accident.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 07:47   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone dare to venture out last evening?
I was an idiot who thought its would be better to take the car for a spin. Guess where? Deccan of all places! Roads were jam packed with Ganpati processions. To top that, it was pouring cats, dogs and all other domestic animals. Plus the horrible roads that our city has.
Welcome to a section of my daily commute! You should try sending someone upto Bund Garden road via COEP if you are sadistic By the way I had an interesting argument with a Wagon R driver trying desperately to merge in from the right lane opposite Bhosale Shinde arcade.
He hit my ORVM twice and when I rolled my driver side window to ask him to wait, he accused me of pushing him off the road and not sticking to my lane. I laughed in his face and asked him to check if his steering wheel was positioned straight. he didnt like it one bit!

By the way, I set new records on Eid and Thursday. Only 28 minutes to get home in the evenings: no redlining or unnecessary overtaking

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Couple of days back i was on the stretch and i could see couple of guys removing and carrying the signal pole. I even remarked to my wife - "looks like Pune traffic Police has reached a conclusion that traffic signals are not required in Pune". Did not know that it was because of this accident.
I saw some work being done, IIRC on Wednesday on my way back home. A 2 wheeler trying to overtake me at that location almost bumped into the backside of the guy digging the hole. No signs/ barricades were put up and his backside was exposed to oncoming traffic. I hope he got himself home in 1 piece!

I hope in this case, the biker has been arrested (and not let off with a fine) for rash and negligent driving. AFAIK, he escaped from the scene, but the bike was a mess.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd September 2011 at 07:49.
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:04   #244
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Its raining heavily non-stop for quite some time now. Any news on which areas are waterlogged today ?
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:32   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Wow! Its raining heavily non-stop for quite some time now. Any news on which areas are waterlogged today ?
I came all the way from Giga Space, Nagar Road -> KP -> Southern Command -> Golibar Maidan -> Salisbury Park -> Mkt Yard -> Sahakaar Nagar.
No water logging anywhere neither any abnormal traffic Jams experienced.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 3rd September 2011 at 17:35.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 12:26   #246
Senior - BHPian

Rains have actually created havoc. Saw the Mula/Mutha river this weekend. Its actually a RIVER! Against the popular notion that many had, its not a nullah. Water realese is in full swing. Even today around 12,000 cu sec's of water has been realesed.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:15   #247
Senior - BHPian

^^yep, on my way to Panshet yesterday I noted that 5 gates were open at Khadakwasla. Water release was on in full force and it seems that it will ocntinue for a few more days as Panshet & Varasgaon dams are 100% full.

Usually the irrigation department ensures that Khadakwasla has some leeway in case there needs to be any urgent release from upstream.

Needless to say, there were enough morons who had parked their cars on that small bridge. Thankfully didnt find anyone crazy enough to venture into the swirling waters.

Approach roads are quite horrible, but the route from Sinhagad road is better than the one from Warje.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:33   #248
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Fortuner (badly crashed) being towed away and a lane being cleared on the by-pass (towards Katraj). Not too sure what happened, anyone else witnessed the same?
Old 5th September 2011, 15:55   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Needless to say, there were enough morons who had parked their cars on that small bridge. Thankfully didnt find anyone crazy enough to venture into the swirling waters.
So that bridge is still in drivable condition? I thought that with the amount of water being realesed, the bridge should be under water by now.
There is no dearth of fools around, you know. Have actually seen people trying to jump of the bridge, to take a dip in that water!

Quote:
Approach roads are quite horrible, but the route from Sinhagad road is better than the one from Warje.
Thats always been the case. I doubt if there was any road work ever carried on that stretch. Till the back door of NDA, the road's better. Post that, its horrible.
Still the quickest way to reach Khadakwasla and beyond though (from Kothrud). Sinhagad road is a nightmare- whatever time of the day or night it may be!

O.T: If a nightmare occurs in day time, does it become "Daymare" ?
Dont bother answering that. Thought of cracking some cheap humor in an otherwise rant filled thread!

EDIT: Anil, what time was that? Didnt see any such sight when I was on that stretch.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 5th September 2011 at 15:57.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:24   #250
Senior - BHPian

@Swan that was around 1230 ish just before the Sus over bridge.

BTW the road to Phase 3 from the village in tatters, how is the approach road from phase 2? If it is no better, I would stick to the village route to Hinjewadi Jn.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:35   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats always been the case. I doubt if there was any road work ever carried on that stretch. Till the back door of NDA, the road's better. Post that, its horrible.
Still the quickest way to reach Khadakwasla and beyond though (from Kothrud). Sinhagad road is a nightmare- whatever time of the day or night it may be!

O.T: If a nightmare occurs in day time, does it become "Daymare" ?
Dont bother answering that. Thought of cracking some cheap humor in an otherwise rant filled thread!
No work ever done on that road Swan, and the road is a nightmare even upto NDA gate. Dont bother taking that route. from Kothrud it would be better to go from Warje up on the bypass and then take Sinhgad road.
Best option? dont go there at all. especially on weekend evenings.

Technically opposite of nightmare should be dayhorse. no?

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th September 2011 at 16:36.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 17:02   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
BTW the road to Phase 3 from the village in tatters, how is the approach road from phase 2? If it is no better, I would stick to the village route to Hinjewadi Jn.
The road from Phase 2 till DLF/TechM is still the same. Potholes everywhere. Problem is, there is a new one every single day. So, anticipating them is of no use. Only precaution that can be taken, drive slow. Expect the unexpected.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:21   #253
Senior - BHPian

New to Pune?

A gang that allegedly robbed passengers, especially women, after offering them lift and taking them to secluded spots, has been busted by the Pune Police Crime Branch. Four suspects of the gang, including two women, all from Beed district, have been arrested.

The arrest follows a complaint from a 47-year-old woman on August 26 that two men and two women had given her a lift in a car to Ramabai Digambar Suryavanshi in Bopkhel and had taken her to a lonely spot near Katraj tunnel, where they robbed her of gold ornaments and told her to get down. Police zeroed in on the suspects after the description of one of the men she had given matched with a criminal on police records, who is yet to be nabbed.

More here:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/4-...engers/841633/
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:47   #254
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed this today morning, where else, but NH4 :

At the turn just before Praj exit to Bavdhan my bus had slowed down for some reason in the right lane. Just then, a white Polo 1.6, MH12GV registered, slammed hard on its brakes for some reason. Behind him, a guy on a black pulsar and his female partner in a pink raincoat couldnt (even though they were some distance behind), and rear ended the Polo hard. I think the lady also made impact with the car as the bike was thrown on the side. She was on the verge of or maybe was crying, but was on her feet. Full raincoat may have saved her some scratches though.

And the reason for all this ?
A cow had merrily ambled across the road.
It had a bell around its neck. Up ahead near HEMRL, I saw about a dozen of its brethren, all surely domesticated.
Owners of such animals should be severely fined, for letting them loose to graze on a national highway. Owner was nowhere in sight btw.

PS : The lady who took the tumble wasnt wearing a helmet.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:37   #255
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, while returning home, it took me 1.5 hrs to cover 11 km from my company in Baner to my home in Kothrud. The Bavdhan road is a full mess. I was surprised to see so many potholes on this road, specially right in front of the defense colony (DRDO I guess). This road had always been one of the best roads till a year back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks