Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 15:31   #1126
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though a crude way of explaining, great illustration _raVan_. I take this road daily for my office commute. I climb down the bridge & take the "U" turn in the central divider. Though the service road (under the bridge) is shorter for me to get on to the Saswad/Jejuri road I take the overbridge simply to avoid the utter chaotic traffic under the bridge (PMP buses, ricks, vendor carts & what not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Even I take the bridge to avoid the chaotic traffic (I need to take the Sanjeevani Hospital road). Its going to get more chaotic as the work on the bridge division gathers "momentum" (pun intended ).
Incidentally, I take the same route to office. To SP Infocity to be precise. Where are you guys headed in that direction? Carpool or even a possible meet up?
Old 28th March 2012, 17:18   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Incidentally, I take the same route to office. To SP Infocity to be precise. Where are you guys headed in that direction? Carpool or even a possible meet up?
Same here, I take the same route to office & I too work in SP Infocity. Have sent you a private message with the details
Old 28th March 2012, 21:23   #1128
BHPian

I've also noted a peculiar thing about the goods carriers in and around Pune. They will drive at 40kmph on the highway while the road ahead is clear and they do this in the fast lane but it gets even more irritating when you want to overtake them. You could sit on your horn the entire day and be behind this guy but he will not budge. He will continue to drive in the fast lane at snail's pace but not want to go move lanes so that you can overtake. I think people traveling from Mumbai to Pune would know what i mean.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:29   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
I've also noted a peculiar thing about the goods carriers in and around Pune. They will drive at 40kmph on the highway while the road ahead is clear and they do this in the fast lane but it gets even more irritating when you want to overtake them. You could sit on your horn the entire day and be behind this guy but he will not budge. He will continue to drive in the fast lane at snail's pace but not want to go move lanes so that you can overtake. I think people traveling from Mumbai to Pune would know what i mean.
This happens all over india
Old 28th March 2012, 22:49   #1130
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He will continue to drive in the fast lane at snail's pace but not want to go move lanes so that you can overtake.
I have talked to a few truck- bus drivers, trying to understand their logic behind this type of behaviour. They say that they need a longer path to brake, so driving on the right side gives them additional space. Plus all sorts of obstacles usually come up on the track closest to the footpath/kerb.

I am not justifying their logic, just trying to portray what these guys might be thinking.
dot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 23:09   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Here in my part of the world we have a novelty item called the Chinese soccer mom....usually these clueless moms are seen manipulating top of the line Lexus LX SUV's on the road with the deftness of a one legged centipede and the attention of a squirrel on an acorn tree. Not only are these drivers inherently distracted, but they also seem to lack common sense, basic civic sense and any driving sense whatsoever. Funny thing is they are in their own oblivion while people around them are tearing their hair out. More often than not these soccer moms are the root cause why two frustrated dudes behind them get into road-rage related accidents. A friend aptly calls soccer moms in big SUV's as living time bombs. I am sure all of us have trailed these specimens at some point of time.

That said, the world's roads are rife with idiots. One of my pet peeve is people talking on cellphones oscillating between 25 to 35 in a 45 mph zone that is invariably single lane too, thereby causing dozens of cars behind them to not just lose out to successive red lights, but also preventing them from operating in top gear. One idiot is responsible for fifty vehicles behind him running on lower gears for no reason.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 28th March 2012 at 23:18.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:10   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This happens all over india
Absolutely right Amit but I've seen the folks there consider their birth-right to do so. Sorry, no offense meant. I love Pune and visit there often.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:15   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely right Amit but I've seen the folks there consider their birth-right to do so. Sorry, no offense meant. I love Pune and visit there often.
Nopes nothing wrong about what you said. There are many car and bike owners too who think driving at snail pace on right side of the road is their birth right.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:51   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Driving on one side of the road is still better than those who indulge in PAC-MAN on the road. Eating up the painted stripes by driving in the centre of the road.

I've beent taking the Sangamwadi route everyday to work at around 7:00 am and I love the drive. The section between the end of the bridge to the end of the parking area is quite scary due to lack of road dividers, bottlenecks, autorickshaws waiting to pick up passengers, cattle of the two legged variety, etc. Be careful, I've noticed an increased number of accidents there.

My return route is via Khadki cantonment and Range hills and its a smooth drive especially after the concretization of internal roads in Bhosale nagar is complete. They are widening the stretch between Holkar bridge and Bombay Sappers gate which will make traffic flow even faster.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 11:02   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
My return route is via Khadki cantonment and Range hills and its a smooth drive especially after the concretization of internal roads in Bhosale nagar is complete. They are widening the stretch between Holkar bridge and Bombay Sappers gate which will make traffic flow even faster.
The progress of road work around the Bombay Sappers - Holkar bridge stretch is going at good speed. I take that route daily for my onward journey to office. The old Holkar bridge is used to divert the traffic towards Vishratwadi/Airport road via Ordinance Factory, whereas the new bridge takes care of traffic towards Bombay Sappers, Yerawada. Driving from Khadki Bazaar to Yerawada, Koregaon park is a breeze. The new bridges parallel to old Holkar bridge are really of very good design (4 lanes each side) & the slab joints are perfectly mated. Hope all the bridges in Pune could emulate this.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 13:21   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
The new bridges parallel to old Holkar bridge are really of very good design (4 lanes each side) & the slab joints are perfectly mated. Hope all the bridges in Pune could emulate this.
Well , forget the design of the new bridges , the build quality of the bridge was such an utter disgrace . The one which is used to carry commuters to Yerwada while coming from Khadki , developed BIG ditches on the fourth day of its opening . They closed one lane and repair works done .

I am not cribbing , but that ain't expected from a new construction .
The new bridge , being used for the Yerwada - Wakdewadi /Khadki traffic has developed similar ditches already .

I still fail to understand how a newly laid bridge sinks in a weeks time , It surely reflects the bad quality of construction .
May be we are expecting too much from Pune civic authorities

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 30th March 2012 at 13:22.
jealousdiamond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:24   #1137
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2012 at 14:07.
freak1201 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2012, 15:23   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
The progress of road work around the Bombay Sappers - Holkar bridge stretch is going at good speed. I take that route daily for my onward journey to office. The old Holkar bridge is used to divert the traffic towards Vishratwadi/Airport road via Ordinance Factory, whereas the new bridge takes care of traffic towards Bombay Sappers, Yerawada. Driving from Khadki Bazaar to Yerawada, Koregaon park is a breeze. The new bridges parallel to old Holkar bridge are really of very good design (4 lanes each side) & the slab joints are perfectly mated. Hope all the bridges in Pune could emulate this.
I think the problem is when you approach from Mula Road to go to Vishrantwadi via old holkar bridge. It crosses the new road going to Yerwada under the bridge and oncoming traffic from Khadki is in no mood to give way to the vehicles crossing this road. High probability of an accident here.
Old 5th April 2012, 16:34   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
The new bridges parallel to old Holkar bridge are really of very good design (4 lanes each side) & the slab joints are perfectly mated. Hope all the bridges in Pune could emulate this.
+1 to that. I too noticed it last week. There are no jerks at the end of every slab joint. My car went smoothly.

I hate the slab joint jerks. for example E-Square flyover. its worst.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:04   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone fly over the chinchwad chaphekar chowk flyover? its the longest in pune and cuts down lot of time. But there are so many morons who want to still overtake on this narrow flyover and stop bumper to bumper(both fronts ) with a vehicle coming from front and block the whole road causing massive jams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks