Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 12:45   #1771
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I recently moved into Pune from Mumbai.Its been 2 months.i start getting jittery the moment i start driving in Pune.Absolute zero traffic sense.On common sense-If I could rate below zero I would do that.The share ricks are the most dangerous ones on road.They spew out smoke have no headlights and are overloaded.
@Rakesh_r, Welcome, Sus-swagatham. Lets not get hasty and underrate beloved Punekars driving skills, and do spare a thought for those brave souls who will go on till no man or woman can go any further. After all here in Pune we do follow the Vacuum Rule while driving.

Let me illuminate the Vacuum Effect whilst you ruminate : It's pretty simple, like playing tetris. You judge the size of the gap available at any junction vis-s-vis your vehicle and aim your vehicle there to fill the gap completely or till you cannot go further.

Like tetris, points will be awarded for the car that makes use of the available space without wasting an inch.

It's much better than waiting in lines (lines and queues are outdated man, life here is always in the fast lane which unfortunately crawls)

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:23   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@Rakesh_r, Welcome, Sus-swagatham. Lets not get hasty and underrate beloved Punekars driving skills, and do spare a thought for those brave souls who will go on till no man or woman can go any further. After all here in Pune we do follow the Vacuum Rule while driving.

Let me illuminate the Vacuum Effect whilst you ruminate : It's pretty simple, like playing tetris. You judge the size of the gap available at any junction vis-s-vis your vehicle and aim your vehicle there to fill the gap completely or till you cannot go further.

Like tetris, points will be awarded for the car that makes use of the available space without wasting an inch.

It's much better than waiting in lines (lines and queues are outdated man, life here is always in the fast lane which unfortunately crawls)

Cheers
@Kuttos-Thanks for the wishes.First and foremost,my humble apologies if I have hurt anyone's sentiments.Neither am I hasty nor am I underrating my dear fellow Punekars.I too am a Punekar now.Believe me I have driven in much worst situations.
Maybe I have learnt a bad habit of waiting in lines and queues even in Mumbai where people say life moves at a much more faster rate.
As some kind soul had quoted "Survival of the fittest",time to learn the vaccum rule of driving.
Old 10th July 2014, 19:06   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
@Kuttos-Thanks for the wishes.First and foremost,my humble apologies if I have hurt anyone's sentiments.
@rakesh_r. No offence taken at all. The post was meant to be a part of "All in a days Work"

All the best for your Vacuuming lessons
Old 31st July 2014, 15:05   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Two days of good rain and the tar road stretches on Nagar road are washed away partially. There are big craters while going from Shastri Nagar towards Kharadi in the last lane. Be careful.
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:45   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Two days of good rain and the tar road stretches on Nagar road are washed away partially. There are big craters while going from Shastri Nagar towards Kharadi in the last lane. Be careful.
A couple of days ago, a four pointed hotel (opposite Inorbit) on Nagar road had installed a motor to pump out water from its basement. All the water was being dumped on the road, which resulted in a lake.

All vehicles were slowing down and resulted in traffic piled up as far back as Hyatt/ Novotel. A friendly li'l birdie called the cops and by later in the day the waterpipe was directed elsewhere.
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:23   #1776
Senior - BHPian

There is a flyover being constructed between Hotel Sayaji and Hinjewadi bridge on the Pune Bypass. Any idea why it is being constructed? I dont see any intersection it goes over. Nor does it look like going over the Hinjewadi bridge itself.
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:24   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
There is a flyover being constructed between Hotel Sayaji and Hinjewadi bridge on the Pune Bypass. Any idea why it is being constructed? I dont see any intersection it goes over. Nor does it look like going over the Hinjewadi bridge itself.
I don't think it is a flyover. That should be an underpass. I am not sure if there is road planned that connects the underpass but it is quite possible as that area is developing at the moment. Or the other likely reason, as I feel is, they might have tried to address the signal below the Wakad/Hinjewadi flyover, during the evening times. If they choose to close the signal permanently, the southbound traffic from Hinjewadi can take the underpass and join NH4 for Baner/Kothrud/Katraj.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:53   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't think it is a flyover. That should be an underpass. I am not sure if there is road planned that connects the underpass but it is quite possible as that area is developing at the moment. Or the other likely reason, as I feel is, they might have tried to address the signal below the Wakad/Hinjewadi flyover, during the evening times. If they choose to close the signal permanently, the southbound traffic from Hinjewadi can take the underpass and join NH4 for Baner/Kothrud/Katraj.
That is my guess, too, based on how they have marked the roads around the columns of the proposed bridge.. However, the current problem (since last two weeks, when it started raining) is that getting in to Hinjawadi has been tougher!!
Old 5th August 2014, 11:35   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, it took me around one hour to reach home on my scooter (normally it takes 25 minutes.)
When it rains, the signals turn off and then there is chaos since everyone wants to go first. As a result there was bumper to bumper traffic right from Aga Khan palace (Nagar road) till the next two signals (Shastri Nagar area). And water logging shows that drainage systems do not exist in this part of the city.
Old 5th August 2014, 22:37   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I had asked a contractor about this couple of months ago and he mentioned that it would be an underpass similar to one on old NH4 but only for cars + buses. This is to provide signal free travel for through traffic. IMO - all buses except ST should use this to prevent traffic jam at the signal when picking up dropping passengers.
Old 6th August 2014, 08:11   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
There's a deep crater on the opposite way of traffic too. It is roughly half a km before InOrbit mall, adjacent to the BRT stop shelter. Someone dug a across drench in the road and not closed properly. With rains, the filling got washed away and it is very hard to notice as this is 1.5 km away from the TATA Guardroom signal and you might be doing 40 ~ 60 when you cross here. Not very good to have a loud thud from wheels
Old 6th August 2014, 11:31   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I had asked a contractor about this couple of months ago and he mentioned that it would be an underpass similar to one on old NH4 but only for cars + buses. This is to provide signal free travel for through traffic. IMO - all buses except ST should use this to prevent traffic jam at the signal when picking up dropping passengers.
What signal it will avoid? This underpass is not at any junction.
Old 6th August 2014, 11:49   #1783
Senior - BHPian

During monsoon, whatever route I take, it takes at least an hour to reach Kothrud. It gets frustrating sometimes, for instance yesterday. Yesterday I reached the University flyover in the normal time, but the entire flyover was jam-packed and things were not moving at all. So I exited the flyover route and took the service to SB road. And thats it. Driving through SB road, Law College road and Karve road is complete hell.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:02   #1784
Senior - BHPian

I had thought of not reporting this one, but its now happening everyday.

There is this black Polo GT TSI (MH-12 JZ xxxx) which is driven absolutely maniacally everyday by this guy who probably also works in EON campus. One day if I manage to catch him stationary wherever it is, I am seriously going to catch hold of him and request him to spare other people's lives at least, if not his. What is the damn need to drive like a F1 car through the Nagar road kind of traffic, EVERYDAY???

Twice or thrice it so happened that I got startled with his polo coming dangerously close to my car and then I actually swayed frantically to one side to let him go and spare my life.

Total unnecessary show-off !
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 17:28   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Guess he is too much impressed by the GT ad, and living his childhood dream of flying through cars. Hope he brushes some Scorpio chap and gets a good reminding of reality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks