Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 22:00   #1846
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Anyone noticed the flickering Red and Green lights at Deccan corner signal? Its been like this for over an year now.

I have complained to Traffic Police and PMC but its still the same.

The FC Road main gate signal (old Savera hotel) is another "one of its kind".
I was on FC Road at 8ish today morning, hardly any traffic, I saw a Red and stopped. Then in 5 seconds the signal turned to flashing Amber, I thought the signal is switched off and there was no cross traffic so decided to go ahead and right when I got moving it turned RED again. i was already halfway thru and continued ahead to avoid being rear ended. Phew. I had my heart in my mouth. Thank got it was only 8 am and only about 5 vehicles at the signal.

Last edited by freedom : 30th November 2015 at 22:02.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:25   #1847
BHPian

Guys,

Bavdhan Highway flyover (in front of the Crystal Honda showroom) is functional and opened for both way traffic. What a relief
amyth78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 18:37   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyth78 View Post
Guys,

Bavdhan Highway flyover (in front of the Crystal Honda showroom) is functional and opened for both way traffic. What a relief
Yes, major relief it is after 3 years of wait. But for those travelling from Hinjwadi towards Chandani Chowk, they have promptly opened a new roadwork at Wakad chowk.
Old 28th December 2015, 20:51   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone been to the Sinhagad fort recently by road? How is the road condition from Donje village to the top of mountain? What are the toll charges? Also how is the road condition from Sinhagad to Kondanapur? Planning to drive in my TUV to the top of the fort and if time permits divert towards the Kondanapur side of the fort and head to Khed Shivapur to touch NH4. From there we plan to visit Shree Venkateshwara temple (Keth Kavale) and then Narayanpur. Any inputs for this trip would be much appreciated.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 28th December 2015 at 20:53.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:56   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Has anyone been to the Sinhagad fort recently by road? How is the road condition from Donje village to the top of mountain? What are the toll charges? Also how is the road condition from Sinhagad to Kondanapur?
@Deepak, I completed the Sinhagad trek (climb up, climb down, drive up, drive down ) last Saturday (Jan 2). So to answer your queries:

1. The toll for 4-wheelers is Rs 50 (to be paid at Atkarwadi phata
2. The road condition from Atkarwadi to Sinhagad is fair - it is quite good to start with, but then it gets patchy. However, nothing that TUV3OO cannot handle.
3. The road from Sinhagad to Kondhanpur - I haven't driven on this part of the road, but it is expected to be similar, not too great. You can check with the jeep drivers at the fort!
sschivate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:38   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
@Deepak, I completed the Sinhagad trek (climb up, climb down, drive up, drive down ) last Saturday (Jan 2). So to answer your queries:

1. The toll for 4-wheelers is Rs 50 (to be paid at Atkarwadi phata
2. The road condition from Atkarwadi to Sinhagad is fair - it is quite good to start with, but then it gets patchy. However, nothing that TUV3OO cannot handle.
3. The road from Sinhagad to Kondhanpur - I haven't driven on this part of the road, but it is expected to be similar, not too great. You can check with the jeep drivers at the fort!
Thank you Sameer for your inputs. Actually I did the Sinhagad trip on 29th Dec itself. As you rightly mentioned, the immediate road for 3-4 kms after the toll booth is well laid out. The balance 5-6 kms is indeed a torture track, but nothing that could deter the TUV. To be honest I was looking out for such a kind of road to test the TUV's mettle and it didn't disappoint me.

We crossed the Khadakwasla dam and then Donje village. We stopped there and asked a person for the road to the top of fort. He gestured us to continue straight. We then continued on the same road. However as we started progressing we could see the Sinhagad fort was moving away from us on the left hand side. I thought we had missed the fort road entry point and were heading towards Panshet dam. I stopped and asked a small shop owner, my fear came true as we have missed the Donje village entry point by 4kms. We had to take a U turn and head back to Donje village. As we crossed through the village, on the left we could see the entry gate to the fort. The forest dept charges Rs 50/- as entry tax. We paid that and proceeded. The winding ghat road started thereon. Since we were early in the day and it being a week day, there was hardly any traffic.

On the return trip since I had sufficient time at my disposal, we decided to take the diversion towards, Kondhanapur, Khed shivapur to touch the highway (NH4). There too the initial patch of 2-3 kms was a torture track, after that it was butter smooth right to the point where it touched NH4. I took the Balaji darshan and even visited Narayanpur.

The next day I visited Shivthar Ghal (via bhor and Varandha ghat). Just in case if anyone is interested the complete travelogue of my 2 day trip can be found on my ownership thread over here ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ective-10.html
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 15:02   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chaos near Pimple Saudagar and E-square on University Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Aundh to Ravet is operational.
The signal at Pimpale Saudagar (Jagtap Dairy Chowk) has become chaotic after BRTS. Especially the signal for right turn (in red colour) is confusing.

Any idea of the number of buses plying on the route - while the lanes adjacent to BRTS are choc-a-bloc with traffic, the BRTS is totally empty. I have never seen more than a couple of buses at a time on the entire stretch (while driving down from Sangvi Phata to Ravet). If the frequency of buses is low, what purpose does the BRTS serve?

Added to this, the pedestrian crossing is a real pain - driving at about 30 kmph seems to be the best way.

Compare this with grade separator in PCMC. From Nasik phata to Nigdi, you have a clear run - their planning seems to be more in sync with reality.

BTW, if any one has observed this - the junction near Pune Central and E-square (beneath the fly over) on University Road has become perpetually crowded and jammed during the day and night (at least till 9 pm or so). Coming down the FC Road flyover, one has to literally crawl till one crosses the University Flyover...
god knows what is going to be situation another five years ahead.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:27   #1853
Senior - BHPian

The BRT route on Nagar road is likely to get operational soon -it seems.

The clue is that they have blocked the route entry and exit points and started cleaning the track - picking up debris etc.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:26   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The BRT route on Nagar road is likely to get operational soon -it seems.

The clue is that they have blocked the route entry and exit points and started cleaning the track - picking up debris etc.
Nagar Road has been totally messed up by bringing in the BRTS.

Heck, they have made the road and the bus stops since like 3-4 years, but no one has done the "opening ceremony" yet. So net net, at peak hours, the Nagar road is jam packed and BRTS, well that is used for parking nowadays.

Plus, the state of the bus stops deteriorated over these 3-4 years without even being used. They refurbished it some time back, and there were hopes that now it will function and at least the buses can ply there, but hell no.
And the bus stops have again deteriorated.

Do not go by the blocked entry exit points. Its been like that for long. People break it, they again make it up.
Jokers run the PMC.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 6th January 2016 at 19:44.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 21:02   #1855
BHPian

The stretch from Nashik Phata to Pimple Saudagar was almost smooth before BRTS inauguration. Now even at 08:00PM there is long queue of office goers on almost all signals.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:32   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Any idea of the number of buses plying on the route - while the lanes adjacent to BRTS are choc-a-bloc with traffic, the BRTS is totally empty. I have never seen more than a couple of buses at a time on the entire stretch (while driving down from Sangvi Phata to Ravet). If the frequency of buses is low, what purpose does the BRTS serve?
That is true. They should introduce many more buses and reduce the bus frequency only then the BRTS will be a success. Otherwise, more cars will come onto the road and consequently, the BRTS will be termed as ineffective.
Old 7th January 2016, 14:47   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Otherwise, more cars will come onto the road and consequently, the BRTS will be termed as ineffective.
Termed ineffective? It has already been defective. Wherever this has been made in Pune, Traffic condition has worsened multi fold.
Old 10th January 2016, 12:33   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It has already been defective. Wherever this has been made in Pune, Traffic condition has worsened multi fold.
Exactly !

The way BRTS being implemented here itself is defeating it's own purpose.

I remember when the entire thing was introduced in 2006, it was always compared to the one in Bogota (capital of Colombia) and promised the commuters about an effective public transport instead of current retrograde bus service in the city.

But when it came to implementation, it turned out to be a disappointment for people travelling through that route on daily basis. They just kept current fleet of buses running through the dedicated routes instead of dedicated buses.

If you ever have to cross the Pune-Satara road through BRTS tracks, you will realize what pain it is for other vehicles on the road.

The 'grade separator' on the other hand was opposed since day one and later turned out to be a big success !
Old 27th January 2016, 13:02   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Just an update : The service road coming in from Chelaram Institute/Kundan Hyundai in Bavdhan and allowing traffic to merge to westbound NH4 near DSK Toyota , was being cordoned off and was being closed to traffic. No idea why.
Bavdhan commuters may want to take other routes.
Old 24th February 2016, 17:09   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Just the other day, a speeding motorist knocked down two pedestrians near Shimla signal (sometime in the afternoon) - the whole junction has become a major nightmare, especially while crossing the road.

This must be second busiest junction after Swargate - even traffic on the Railway Station road (both sides) isn't that bad.

Just thinking how it was when I landed in Pune a decade ago and today.....

It struck me that the flyovers and subways on University Road has not made it easy for any of the road users -

a. The one way fly over at University signal is a nightmare - in the morning there is choke up for those going towards the railway station and in the evening there is a choke up near E-square for those going towards Aundh.

b. Flyover - again one way - from COEP to Sancheti is causing choke up and snarls right from morning to evening, for the traffic from Shimla towards Old Pune Bombay Road. Whereas, the subway leading towards Court / Railway Station is relatively free (people don't want to get stuck up on the bridge from kamgar putala to maldhakka chowk). This has also resulted in heavy convergence of traffic on JM Road near SG Barve Chowk (Kala Niketan to Pashankar Auto)

c. Subway on Shivaji Road - converging traffic at Shimla signal with those coming from the subway and those turning right from JM Road is turning into a nightmare. Buses going to Shivajinagar ST stand and NTwadi means traffic literally crawls day and night.

Added to this, the widening of road and over bridges upto Sangvi (coming from Wakad / Pimpale Saudagar) is complete. So now Aundhgaon is chaos.

The bright side is the bridge at Bundgarden - the new bridge has dramatically eased the traffic flow and going to Yerwada via Gunjan theatre is no longer stressful.....

If this is the position today, and the way people jump signals without caring for right of way, what will it be like in the next two to three years?
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks