Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 17:02   #136
BHPian

Nice thread. My bad habits are:

1. connecting the wired handsfree while driving.
2. honking when someone is very slow in the right most lane. I seldom honk otherwise.
3. I don't get out of way to give side to cars who are going faster than the prescribed speed limit on the given road. Can be irritating to people at times.

three habits is bad enough I guess.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:04   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
3. Moving back to high beam if the oncoming chappie does not dip his lights. (sometimes)
What's wrong with that? If flashing your lights at the other guy makes him realize that he is driving with the lights full-on, then what's the issue? Atleast, this will make him use the dipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Nice thread Raveendra - You are right. I think - this applies to most of the people - At least to me.

Somethings we need to change - somethings others need to change

If you don't change, Do not expect Others to change

or else - Change and make others change
But what are your worst habits?
Old 29th January 2009, 19:16   #138
BHPian

My only negative driving trait is that I get worked up pretty easily , more so when Im driving then biking, pedestrians who cross roads when there is a clear green signal and ricks are the ones who see the side of me which is best kept hidden. I have a face which is a mixture of anger , disbelief and disgust with language to match.
Old 29th January 2009, 19:22   #139
BHPian

1. No.2 of Ravveendrra applies sometimes to me (Being short tempered and losing my patience with other road users. Often honking or gesticulating to show my displeasure.). There have been a couple of times when I have gone too close to the divider because I turned to yell at some crazy auto/bike/car driver and I am trying to reduce it.

2. Similar to the above, on certain occasions when I have found someone coming on the wrong side I have tried not to give him space (unless absolutely necessary to avoid a scratch or collision) and tried to make him slow down or stop, till I drive away.

And yes, I know it is not very sensible - increases the chances of getting my own car scratched and I have been able to stop doing it nowadays. Anyway with people who think it is acceptable there is no point doing it!

3. Not checking my tyre pressure regularly.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:26   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What's wrong with that? If flashing your lights at the other guy makes him realize that he is driving with the lights full-on, then what's the issue? Atleast, this will make him use the dipper.

@ Tejas,

It is dangerous! The other guy could be momentarily blinded and could run into/over others, or even you. Just because he has a bad driving habit and is not a safe driver, does not mean that I become one too, if I do, there will be no difference between him and me!

Cheers & safe driving.
Old 29th January 2009, 23:44   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ Tejas,

It is dangerous! The other guy could be momentarily blinded and could run into/over others, or even you. Just because he has a bad driving habit and is not a safe driver, does not mean that I become one too, if I do, there will be no difference between him and me!

Cheers & safe driving.
Yeah you may be right, but unfortunately i kinda freak when the other car is in the wrong and i overreact and stuff... i guess that's my bad point.
Old 29th January 2009, 23:54   #142
Senior - BHPian

My bad habits:
  • I hate autos and bikers who do not follow the rules of the road. Cut into my two second gap and I will get even with you.
  • Every day I start from home, I think "It's a city commute. Save fuel and don't high rev." On the return trip at noon with free roads, it's S mode and red line shifting, every day. *sigh*
  • I brake late. This leads to a lot of hair raising moments for my rear bumper.
  • Did I mention I do not like smartaleck bikers?
Old 30th January 2009, 00:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

I am kind of OK.not a fast driver with cars.
with bike I ride ,I guess I am taking some risks(which every riders will be feeling too?)
Old 30th January 2009, 01:00   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am kind of OK.not a fast driver with cars.
with bike I ride ,I guess I am taking some risks(which every riders will be feeling too?)
when you are on the bike, you are the king on the road.. all others don't even exist!
Realized the fact when I got my car and had some hair-raising moments when the bikers cut across! (All I do is switch over to my Hella horns and blast the guys off... It's vice versa whe I am on my pulsar )
Old 30th January 2009, 02:30   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
when you are on the bike, you are the king on the road.. all others don't even exist!
Realized the fact when I got my car and had some hair-raising moments when the bikers cut across! (All I do is switch over to my Hella horns and blast the guys off... It's vice versa whe I am on my pulsar )
Add me to this list
and thats one confession and I am trying to change myself

Last edited by akshay4587 : 30th January 2009 at 02:36.
Old 30th January 2009, 08:48   #146
Senior - BHPian

Been commuting on a cycle recently, and have noticed my road rage and stress levels have fallen - and so have the "close shave" incidents! I actually realized I get pretty stressed inside a car in city traffic - highway drives are all I look forward to, really. And as with some others, I'm probably the worst behaved - though not too terrible - on my Pulsar. The Avenger gets much better behaviour out of me tho - and the cycle's the best, safest!
Old 30th January 2009, 11:51   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
My bad habits:
  • I hate autos and bikers who do not follow the rules of the road. Cut into my two second gap and I will get even with you.
  • I brake late. This leads to a lot of hair raising moments for my rear bumper.
At slow speeds if you try to maintain the two second gap, you will not move even an inch ahead. Following this rule above 40 kmph is fine, but we cannot say its my way. If there is a gap, a biker can turn on indicators and get into that. Dont you sometimes think that while taking turn, etc. you are also invading into somebody's two second territory ?

This is worst habit. Can give tension to other passengers and the vehicle ahead. I follow this in M800 and more in Baleno. On bike its always brake late. I enjoy this, but its adviceable not to do so when other passegners are in car or somebody is riding pillion on a two wheeler.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:55   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
At slow speeds if you try to maintain the two second gap, you will not move even an inch ahead. Following this rule above 40 kmph is fine, but we cannot say its my way. If there is a gap, a biker can turn on indicators and get into that. Dont you sometimes think that while taking turn, etc. you are also invading into somebody's two second territory ?
This is very true. I do not leave so much gap as a biker can occupy the space comfortably. Believe me, I'm not that daft to do that in our traffic. I leave enough gap to let me panic brake and not hit the dude in front. It is when the bikers and autos try to squeeze into that gap that is barely a meter in length at the expense of my brake pads and gas that I get angry. The bad habit is keeping that grudge.

I do follow the proper 2 second rule on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is worst habit. Can give tension to other passengers and the vehicle ahead. I follow this in M800 and more in Baleno. On bike its always brake late. I enjoy this, but its adviceable not to do so when other passegners are in car or somebody is riding pillion on a two wheeler.
Of course, I don't brake late when there is family onboard. I enjoy my driving shenanigans only when I'm alone or the people I'm with know what's coming.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:03   #149
BHPian

Guilty,guilty,guilty on all counts
1. I overtake from the left a lot, mostly when there is slow moving traffic on the right lane who don't give a damn and stay there crawling - All the time,left,right,centre,whatever.Too many idiots out there,However I have excellent road manners myself.
2. Shout at every biker, auto walla, other vehicles who come to the wrong side of the road - road rage personified All the time.I just have to roll down my windows and abuse them to their graves.
3. Honk at times when the guy in front doesnt give me way and this only when he/she can definitely move to the side and let me pass Absolutely.Honk,flash high beams,the works.
4. Don't encourage beggars (especially kids) and at-the-signal vendors Yup
5. I do overspeed withint the city just for the kicks Not often,only when there is absolutely no traffic like 2 am onwards.Always careful at intersections even then
6. Don't wear my seatbelt at times Never.I always wear it.
7. Flash my high beams at anyone who's on high beams coming in the opp. side Yeah.Maybe even an occasional small swerve into their lane on high beams myself
8. Sometimes am not courteous to pedestrains with traffic breathing down my neck Exception only for good looking women.All the rest seem to be deaf,nothing affects them anymore
9. Look like I'm in a hurry when travelling long distances, I do say I am a careful driver and dont take too many risks but am reckless Fast but never reckless.

One of my own :
10.If empty ricks don't move out of the way even in the rightmost lane after my honking for long,then I overtake them from the left and pretend to swerve into them when I'm almost past.Watching their reaction in the mirror is my just reward for all these years of suffering

Try my best not to inconvenience other car drivers though.Bikers,deaf/ugly pedestrians,cabbies,rickwallas and bus drivers have already seen my visual indications with a certain digit as to what I think of them !

Last edited by maverick030581 : 30th January 2009 at 14:10.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:56   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

But what are your worst habits?
@Tejas - MOST

1. Starting off and then putting on my seat belt, putting on my headphones and connecting them to the phone, all this is done while driving.

2. Being short tempered and losing my patience with other road users. Often honking or gesticulating to show my displeasure.

3. Moving back to high beam if the oncoming chappie does not dip his lights.

- But from yesterday - I have started putting the seat belt before starting the car. I am trying to keep me cool as Dhoni.. but its really hard for me :(

Last edited by sbala : 30th January 2009 at 15:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks