Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 11:51   #286
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You sound youngish. This is not advisable. Please don't do this.
When you obey all the rules, you should - you do automatically gain an upper hand in such incidences. And add to that, at least 3 of my immediate relatives and a number of friends practice in criminal law, so I can take some risk.

When you know that the other one is wrong, and you're absolutely right, nothing should stop a confrontation
Old 16th September 2015, 11:51   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I took my bike exactly next to theirs and punched the rider hard on his temple. All of them were taken aback by this. I got down from my bike, caught the rider by his collar and handed over to the cops and narrated them the incident. I also told the cops that I have noted the number of their bike and will be filing a case against the guys. Meanwhile, the couple had also started cursing the guys. Seeing that the situation was not favoring them, the 3 guys started pleading guilty. I told the cops that they can file whatever case they want to, however if I encounter any such incident in the future, I will first do the needful and then approach the law.
They went through a puddle and the water splashed on you'll - That was an accident.

You went and punched them - That was a deliberate act of violence.

You were the person who succumbed to road rage here, and while its fine to confess and admit your lapses, it serves no purpose if you do not understand and learn from them. From your statements, its obvious that you will continue to initiate violence first and then approach the law.

That's not done mate. We're not trying to popularize road rage here.
Today, you were the perpetrator, tomorrow you might be the victim, and more importantly, violence is not the solution everytime.

Hope you are able to control your temper and act in a more mature manner in the future. All the best, and safe driving/riding.
Lalvaz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 12:00   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I remembered a quote I had read online "Sometimes you find yourself in between no where, sometimes in between no where you find yourself'

I found myself that day FINALLY, I have decided to leave India for good in some months. This and a lot of other incidents over 2 years have made me detest this place to no end, Lawlessness is epic here.This incident was a final nail in the coffin.
Survival of the fittest.

If I couldn't have punched him back, I could have simply swallowed this & moved on. On the road [in India], every minute you come across incidents which would lead to license suspension abroad, but no one even bats an eyelid.

If anything, this incident would have compelled me to be stronger & learn some self-defense methods. What if someone harms my family when I am abroad? Law might punish him/her but the damage has been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

"GRASS is always GREENER on the OTHER side" Sir !!!
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 12:00   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

When you obey all the rules, you should - you do automatically gain an upper hand in such incidences. And add to that, at least 3 of my immediate relatives and a number of friends practice in criminal law, so I can take some risk.

When you know that the other one is wrong, and you're absolutely right, nothing should stop a confrontation
My concern stems from the more immediate repercussions, as faced by quite a few of my friends, erstwhile heroes in college. Some had their noses broken, though they still maintain that I should have seen the other guy. And another got a gun pulled out on him by a solo driver.
You never know how and by how much the scales can tip.
Defend, yes. But nothing to be gained by initiating.

Last edited by mayankk : 16th September 2015 at 12:01.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:05   #290
Team-BHP Support

@Swapnil4585:

You punched a guy on his temple. That is a very horrible place to hit someone.

You are very lucky that the punch did not cause a lot of damage.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...brain.html.csp

You may want to consider anger management because while getting soaked in dirty water is bad, it is not worth this kind of response.
bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 12:11   #291
BHPian

I don't know if this will qualify as road rage, but here is the incident that happened yesterday morning.

I was driving to office like every morning on eastern expressway, northbound towards Airoli. After Godrej signals, the stretch is pretty much signal free and many drivers have this tendency of cutting lanes, to which I am now pretty used to.
But this purple Tata Nano guy (looked new GenX) was the king of all noobies I have ever seen. Not caring about any kind of danger to himself or others, he was cutting lanes at speeds of over 90kmph (since I was at 80kmph, I could figure) without blinkers. He almost brushed my car twice, cutting from left to top lane where I mostly drive. (I must install a dashcam soon for such noobs).
Luckily, he stopped at the signal to take right for Airoli and I found it not a coincidence that I could stop my car next to him on his left. Cashing on the opportunity, I asked him to roll down windows and told him "Sir, atleast indicators use kiya karo" and also "there are outside rearview mirrors in your car for looking before cutting lanes randomly" He nodded carelessly and I suddenly blurted before I could think "Sir, halki fulki gaadi hai, palat jayegi agar thuk gayi to" (Sir, its a very light vehicle, can overturn if it collides") and he was like

I know, I shouldn't have said that, but him being unapologetic or senseless somehow made me to tell him that. I think those words of mine might qualify as 'verbal' road rage.
1lokesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 12:23   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
They said that they are having a poor financial condition and the boy didn't have a license (he and his friend looked younger than me). While going away, the boy didn't show any shame and was staring at my car's number. I let it go as complaining to the Police would result in more burden to the already disturbed parents.
This is the mistake each one of us make. Fall in for emotional blackmail and let go. Being poor is not an excuse to break the law. What if their moron son caused an accidental death of someone? With no licence who will pay for insurance? Nobody cares about these things here.

You should have dragged that brat to the cops. At least it would have resulted in him being off roads for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My concern stems from the more immediate repercussions, as faced by quite a few of my friends, erstwhile heroes in college. Some had their noses broken, though they still maintain that I should have seen the other guy. And another got a gun pulled out on him by a solo driver.
You never know how and by how much the scales can tip.
Defend, yes. But nothing to be gained by initiating.
+ 1
We were a group of 5-6 cars with just 1-2 people in each and were heading out for a late night coffee. We were within city limits and it was not obvious to anyone outside that we are a group. Another vehicle, a guy trying to show off in front of his female friends started to take panga with one car in our group. Little did he realize that we were bigger morons and we too decided to return the favour. Aparantly we just gave him a good scare by chasing around a bit and stuff but if it had been some goons in our place, he and his friends would have a different story to tell.

Last edited by Jaguar : 16th September 2015 at 12:42.
Old 16th September 2015, 13:01   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This is the mistake each one of us make. Fall in for emotional blackmail and let go. Being poor is not an excuse to break the law. What if their moron son caused an accidental death of someone? With no licence who will pay for insurance? Nobody cares about these things here.

You should have dragged that brat to the cops. At least it would have resulted in him being off roads for a few days.
Agreed. I did this mistake but this thread is about confessing right?

Cops, as per my experience twice, don't do much help in these road rage cases, unless it involves a major accident. I am not sure about other places but in Delhi, it is like this only. You approach a cop, he will demand some bribe from you and then again some from the other person (that boy in this case), and finally would insist on a mutual agreement between the parties. If not, the boy will be in the lockup for some days and as he gets released on bail, he will be after my life. So, I think better is to safely get off with situations like this as easily as possible. I might not be correct here, but that is what I would practically think. This thread is about confessions.

The fact that he didn't have a licence would have made my case stronger though. I have had many bad experiences with Delhi police and would write here sometime.
Old 16th September 2015, 17:30   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
They went through a puddle and the water splashed on you'll - That was an accident.

You went and punched them - That was a deliberate act of violence
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@Swapnil4585:

You punched a guy on his temple. That is a very horrible place to hit someone.
You are very lucky that the punch did not cause a lot of damage.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...brain.html.csp
You may want to consider anger management because while getting soaked in dirty water is bad, it is not worth this kind of response.
The puddle/pond was such that starting from the left, it occupied about 60% of the road's width. All the traffic, cars, bikes, mopeds, etc, was slow moving since it was drizzling, and all of them had wanted to avoid going through the puddle. The proposition was simple for any sane driver. Go through it fast and splash water, or avoid it and pass it slowly with the fellow traffic. There was no reason and no point for the 3 guys to race through that puddle. Their driver knew it beforehand that when he crosses the puddle at speed, big amount of water is bound to splash, yet he sped, making it a deliberate accident.

I am well aware of the fact that such deliberate splashing of water is not included under the rash driving offenses list, as it is difficult to prove which incident was deliberate, and which was not. Even if I had a video footage, I'd have been unable to book them under any law, as splashing of water is not an offense. And that is where the rage comes into play. I agree that a violent protest was not a good idea. Had they been 8 people in a Bolero, I would not have gone for hitting, however I would have definitely initiated a verbal confrontation. How can one keep his cool after such incidences?
Old 16th September 2015, 18:20   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that a violent protest was not a good idea. Had they been 8 people in a Bolero, I would not have gone for hitting, however I would have definitely initiated a verbal confrontation. How can one keep his cool after such incidences?
Swapnil - I think you have not got the point about being a little more mature in your reaction to provocation.

Road rage is not something to be proud of. Each of us should strive to respect the laws and regulations and operate within the framework of law.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 18:24   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How can one keep his cool after such incidences?
This is what you have to learn. How to keep your cool.

This is a good starting point: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...road-rage.html

Thing is violence has a tendency to escalate really quick. We tend to think in the near short term. But sometimes the way things can flare up and go out of hand is nothing short of movies.

Seen it happen and its not a situation anyone should find themselves in.

You yourself mention if it was an SUV filled with people you would have let it pass.

What if, behind your car was one such vehicle with people known to this person?
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 23:40   #297
BHPian

I have had plenty of instances of Road Rage in Bengaluru. Sometimes the initiator, mostly the victim. I'm slightly on the rougher side, short-tempered, easily pick fights n so on. After so many years of driving on our roads, I have learned to keep it cool. (Yes, I have had anger management counselling too LOL). Plenty of incidents to share. Let me start with this one.

Anyways, coming to an incident that happened about 3 years ago. I was riding my Apache from Kathriguppe to JP Nagar on the ORR at about 9 pm. As I reached the DeveGowda petrol pump signal, I was held up behind an alto with 4 dudes in it. The signal turned green and this guy refused to budge, so I honk 2-3 times asking him to move. This is guy is on his phone. So I give him a look, move past him and cross the signal. As I approach KIMS, I am riding on the left lane at a sedate 40km/hr. This guy comes speeding right behind me (as if he's going to hit me), flashes his lights and honks continuously and yells abuses at me in kannada. So, I use hand signals to tell him to overtake me from the right lane. He continues to do the same thing again sticking right behind me on the left lane. Passing vehicles stare at this scene and overtake us.

As I reach the Dayanand Sagar cross, he again comes behind me, flashes his lights, honks continuously and hurles abuses at me. I'm boiling with anger, but I feel I should let it go. So we arrive at the Kanakapura Road signal on ORR (going towards JP Nagar). This is a big signal. I stop and he comes right behind me again with the same antics. I stay cool for about 15 secs. And then one of the guy uses a very offensive abuse.

I lose it all, I switch off the bike, put the keys in my jacket, put the stand on the bike, take off the helmet and throw it with full force onto his windscreen cracking it and breaking my helmet too. I walk upto the driver's side window and start throwing punches at this guy's face. As I put my head into their car to punch him, I realize the car is smelling of liquor and cigarettes. As I make a punching bag out this guy's face, the guy in the back gets out of the car, I throw a punch at him too. The other two arrive and throw punches at me, I retalliate back. The auto guys in the signal intervened. We were taken to JP Nagar police station. The auto guys who saw the whole incident, supported me and I had to pay for breaking this guy's face (I broke his nose and fractured his face a little below his eye, gave him a black eye, lacerated his lips and his nose, he was bleeding profusely). I broke my two fingers and got a small black eye.

The cops took my side immediately after they realized these dudes were drunk. Had to pay 3000 bucks to fix his face. Didn't pay anything to the damages done to the car.

I don't know if I was right/wrong here. Maybe I shouldn't have lost my cool. My parents gave me a blasting of a lifetime though. Come to think of it, I feel ashamed of this incident. I should've just ignored these morons.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 08:48. Reason: Edited profanity and liquor name out. Please keep language clean due to the diverse nature of readers on the forum.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 00:17   #298
Senior - BHPian

One more confession to make.

1.25 kms. from my place there is a junction, sort of 4-rasta. What is unique : No signal, no circle, nothing, just a junction.
Result : Each and every two wheeler and four wheeler and anything plying on road tries to take shortest route possible in case they have to take a turn left or right.
When one takes shortest possible route to take right side at a junction, it results into chaos.

Monday, at 7:15 PM had to visit friend's place as he had arranged for some puja ceremony. 15 mins stuck up in traffic jam.
Today, while going for walk a garden ( gardens are getting scarce in Vadodara ), a heavy traffic jam. I was just at peak of junction and following Wagon R. But somehow, a biker manages to poke in his bike's front wheel. I did let him go, but after that for next 10 mins, only two wheelers were passing, not letting me go. meanwhile, 4 wheelers from all direction had stopped.
Gathered courage and started moving inch by inch. A biker, aged appropx 45 ( my guess ) got angry and was abusing me. Lost my temper and started honking but it did not help. Scream at the top of my voice and to be very frank, wanted to get out and start a confrontation. But somehow, I dont know how, but I did manage not to get out for a fight.
Eventually the biker moved and by that time I had my motor on the boil. As soon as the biker moved, I let the clutch off, a wild tyre screeching noise for a few seconds. All bikers, autos, boleros, etc. were now shocked and got onto side of the road. Things were now normal in a few mins. I have noticed that tyre noise and engine roar clear the way, not the horns.

Should not have done the stunt, but honking was not proving useful. This is my daily route and road which was farm 15 years ago is now very busy.

After my 25 mins walk on return journey, a lady on Activa came on wrong side to visit fuel station. This is High Tension Road, and people think its their right to right to drive on wrong side. For fuel filling, people avoid taking longer route and simply head on wrong side. It could be anything plying on road that needs fuel. Today, I did not slow downmuch when the lady was headed into my Swift. There was no space for me to go onto right as a Verna was overtaking me.
I had managed some margin though, but the lady got real scared. Slowed down massively then to avoid an impact. Lady stares at me as if I am a criminal, probably hurled abuses at me. Revved my motor to 5000 rpm and simply drove off with light tyre screeching , had a rather long day at office and these wrong-siders dont deserve my energy, time or resource.

One thing I have observed is that Wrong Side driving is more rampant in Vadodara than Ahmedabad, Surat or even Rajkot. Wonder why so.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th September 2015 at 00:20.
Old 17th September 2015, 14:42   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How can one keep his cool after such incidences?
Either you will have to or you will learn. Had there been 7/8 big burly men in a SUV, you would have learnt to keep cool on that very day.

Everyday & every instance is a new learning. I myself am surprised as to how I can keep my cool/nerve at some situations. Aggravating a situation is going to cost me with time and maybe money, which simply isn't worth it. I better spend time with my family/friends or tinker with my bike or spend time on Team-BHP, that is so much worth it.

With passage of time, grey hair & some sour experiences, everyone will learn, few when it would be too late.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 22:48   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I found myself that day FINALLY, I have decided to leave India for good in some months. This and a lot of other incidents over 2 years have made me detest this place to no end, Lawlessness is epic here.This incident was a final nail in the coffin.
Exactly!! This is the only and sole reason why I'm here in Canada - ever ready to do entry level jobs, though I was well off in India. "Lawlessness" is the triggering word!

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 17th September 2015 at 22:58.
gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks