Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 22:24   #436
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
My windshield has CR70 sun film. Can I paste it over the film? Will the scanner be able to read it? Appreciate your clarification here.
FasTag is RFID based and RF is NOT line of sight based like IR, so it should work.
See previous posts where someone mentioned the tag was recognized though it was inside a laptop bag placed on the front passenger seat.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 20:28   #437
J.Ravi

Some toll plazas like Electronic City and Attibele deduct only the balance amount of the concessional return trip toll, if the return journey is performed within 24 hours. Others like Pallikonda and Vaniyambadi charge the full toll even when returning within 24 hours. I will have to take up this matter with NHAI. It goes without saying that Krishnagiri and Devanahalli toll plazas continue to be toll-free for FASTag customers! But, I am in dilemma as I got many free passages at Krishnagiri and twice at Devanahalli, which put together more than compensated the loss!

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-fastag21072016.jpg

Old 21st July 2016, 21:16   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I had SMSed to Nagesh yesterday evening and today he sent a representative to collect the form and the documents. He was very prompt in his response
Second this. He responded to my message and collected the docs today
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:29   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Good to know that amount doesn't get deducted from both the tags at the same time.

-- Wind
Today it happened!!!. In EC upramp, 45 was deducted from both the accounts( BETL and FASTag). So total paid 90 :( I guess i've to leave this now as my balance now in BETL tag is 10.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:37   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Nagesh amazingly rode some 40 km to come to my residence and personally hand over the FasTAG.

Seems they do not have any process yet to courier back the tags so they are either requesting customers to collect them or are hand-delivering them.

Kudos to the ICICI Bommanahalli FasTAG team!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:38   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
My windshield has CR70 sun film. Can I paste it over the film? Will the scanner be able to read it? Appreciate your clarification here.
I have CR70 sun film installed on both windshields as well as windows. FASTag works fine without any issues. I have pasted the tag under the IRVM, top center of the front windshield. You are good to go!
samy1117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:28   #442
BHPian

An update from the Bangalore Kochi trip.

Fastag worked at 7 out of 9 NHAI tolls.

Only Walayar toll (not listed as active toll on the website) did not have the system working though a dedicated lane is present, which is cordoned off. No manual scan device is available.

Trissur toll did have the automated system but could not detect the tag. Even manual scan did not work. I was told that the system is working and a couple of cars had already passed. The technician told that I have stuck the tag close to the tag from Mahindra(came with the car) and the scanner is reading it instead of Fastag. I had to pay cash finally.

Except Trissur toll, all had the etc lane cordoned off and allowed only cars with tags after checking visibly.

So, except Coimbatore bypass(non NHAI) and Walayar, all the tolls are a breeze now.

Last edited by bejoy : 22nd July 2016 at 17:32.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:48   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
It goes without saying that Krishnagiri and Devanahalli toll plazas continue to be toll-free for FASTag customers!
My tag was scanned at Krishnagiri and an sms came after a few hours.

Name:  wp_ss_20160722_0001 2.png
Views: 1489
Size:  45.4 KB
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 12:21   #444
BHPian

Update on old NH4 / new NH48

Did this route from Bangalore to Panchgani this past weekend. Almost all the tolls with the exception of the Hubli-Dharwad bypass have a Fastag lane. During the onward journey, it was raining heavily all the way till Hubli from Bangalore and most of the lanes were closed as the gatekeeper for these lanes did not want to stand in the rain. It worked properly on 3-4 plazas on the way to Panchgani, got a free ride at 1 or 2 plazas. We were let through the Fastag lane, but didn't end up getting the message.

Even while coming back, at one toll plaza a security guard was showing the red flag standing near the counter to all cars. Apparently we had to forcefully enter the lane even after being waved at with a red flag. 2 other plazas worked correctly, the ones closer to Bangalore - 2 Nelamangala Tolls and the Elevated toll also worked, but haven't got a message yet or any log in the account.

Overall, a good experience if it works and end up saving at least a few minutes per booth, but because people won't adhere to the dedicated Fastag lane even the NHAI website suggests having a gatekeeper at the start of the lane. But without any protection from the elements, it will not work having someone stand there. May be construction of another small booth for this person to sit in is the solution and hopefully that'll be implemented soon.

For the entire journey, only about Rs. 400 in the Fastag account has been deducted, where as the toll paid in cash for the entire journey has to be somewhere around Rs. 1100-1200.
sswaroop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 11:38   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
An update from the Bangalore Kochi trip.

Fastag worked at 7 out of 9 NHAI tolls.
Update on the return trip.
Trissur Dedicated lane (allows non-Fastag cars), Auto scan. Did not work.
I am guessing that there is an issue with their system. Since they allow all cars, I had to tell that I have Fastag. Then the operator asks to back up and re-enter. But, by this time the traffic is built. And the operator is not interested to make it work/nor getting the manual scanner. Pays cash.

Walayar Dedicated lane, not active. Pays cash.

Coimbatore byepass No Fastag. Pays cash.

Kaniyur, Vijayamangalam, Vaiguntam - Dedicated lane, Manual scan.

Omalur Dedicated lane, Auto scan. Does not work.
(It had worked on the onward journey, on the other lane). Operator claims that the positioning of my tag is not correct. Pays cash.

Thoppur - Dedicated lane, Auto scan.
Krishnagiri Dedicated lane, Manual scan.
Attibelle Dedicated lane, Auto scan.

There was not much of time savings from having the tag, as all lanes were mostly empty and the manual scan locations took time equivalent to 2-3 cars paying cash.

Note:
I would suggest those who are getting the tag, fix it temporarily near the IRVM using a scotch tape and see how it works at all toll plazas. If there is a RFID tag that came with the car, position the Fastag away from it (atleast a feet). This will help in getting the manual scan easy. From my trip I feel that the position at the middle/right side is optimal, as most scanners were at the middle or the right side.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:00   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest those who are getting the tag, fix it temporarily near the IRVM using a scotch tape and see how it works at all toll plazas. If there is a RFID tag that came with the car, position the Fastag away from it (atleast a feet). This will help in getting the manual scan easy. From my trip I feel that the position at the middle/right side is optimal, as most scanners were at the middle or the right side.
Since yours is a 2014 model XUV, I guess it came with RFID on left corner? If as you mentioned the device is scanning company fitted RFID over Fastag RFID, it would be even more troublesome for new generation XUV's which has compnay fitted RFID just behind IRVM.

I am planning of getting Fastag soon since most of the toll booths around Bangalore has the system active as of now. If the same issue happens for me too, I guess I will pull out company fitted RFID. Anyways, that does not serve any purpose as of now.

Regarding fixing it temporarily with adhesive, I am not sure if bank executives will allow that. There is a chance of misuse if someone gets Fasttags for LMV and start using it for HTV's

Last edited by mpksuhas : 26th July 2016 at 12:02.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:15   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Regarding fixing it temporarily with adhesive, I am not sure if bank executives will allow that.
I could do that because the tag was handed over to me. I am not sure about others (Do they insist sticking then and there?). And I was advised by the bank executive to stick it at passenger side. The Fastag website recommends near the IRVM. The Toll booth operator recommends on the right side.

I have already 'disabled' the Mahindra RFID tag, by cutting a few tracks using knife from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There is a chance of misuse if someone gets Fasttags for LMV and start using it for HTV's
Yes, possible at a fully automated toll booth. The toll booth operator can verify the vehicle by looking up the registration number, at least where the manual scan is done. And they may be a provision to hotlist the tag.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:44   #448
BHPian

Quote:
I could do that because the tag was handed over to me. I am not sure about others (Do they insist sticking then and there?).

Yes, possible at a fully automated toll booth. The toll booth operator can verify the vehicle by looking up the registration number, at least where the manual scan is done. And they may be a provision to hotlist the tag.
When the guy came to my house to deliver it, he affixed it himself on the windshield below the IRVM. But on the road, I saw at least 2-3 people having it in their hand and showing it to the operator. But like Suhas said, it should not be allowed to be in the hand and compulsorily attached to the vehicle permanently in order to avoid misuse. At one Toll booth, the gatekeeper of the Fastag lane actually asked me to show him the tag by hand when I rolled down the windows.

I feel they should be trained correctly to identify the tag and also be given the authority to impose strict fines. Actually at almost all toll booths in MH on NH48 till Panchgani, it is clearly mentioned that the penalty for entering a Fastag lane is 2 times the actual toll for the stretch, but not so in any of the KA toll booths.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:23   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

My FasTAG working perfectly at Sadahalli (KIAL) airport toll. Extremely smooth to enter the dedicated lane and wait for the lights to flash green and opening of the boom.

Other queued drivers were staring mouth agape as there were at least 6/7 vehicles waiting at each booth.

Wonder if the cabbies will start using it? They anyway ask for the toll fee from passengers and pay it which seems the risk-free option in their case.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th July 2016 at 12:24. Reason: Grammar
Old 29th July 2016, 10:20   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My FasTAG working perfectly at Sadahalli (KIAL) airport toll. Extremely smooth to enter the dedicated lane and wait for the lights to flash green and opening of the boom.

Other queued drivers were staring mouth agape as there were at least 6/7 vehicles waiting at each booth.

Wonder if the cabbies will start using it? They anyway ask for the toll fee from passengers and pay it which seems the risk-free option in their case.

Was this in the airport to city lane or Devanahalli to city lane ? As of yesterday the airport to city lane is not working. They do a manual scan and let you thru free.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks