Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:27   #181
BHPian

Re: Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery

Hello All,

I'm looking forward to rent a car for self drive during the month of November till December from Revv in Chennai. Does anyone have any experience that they can share along with the location and contact numbers?

I'm also planning to drive the car to Bangalore. Will I face any hassle due to the registration plate? If so, please do suggest what could be done to overcome it.

I really appreciate your response in advance.
Old 11th December 2021, 15:59   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

So, for the first time in my life, I booked a self-drive car in India. It was a Revv, ex-Chennai, for a 5-day trip to Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram, from 5-9 December 2021.

This thread and many members had told me about horror stories about self-drive rentals, whether from Zoomcar, Revv, or even smaller players like Mychoize. In fact, the latest was a few days before our departure, where a friend had rented a Mychoize Hyundai Venue from Delhi to Uttarakhand, where the car's engine started smoking, and he had to abandon the car and take a train back to Delhi.

After much trepidation, I booked a Revv Mahindra XUV3OO Diesel MT for those days, hoping to get a good car that will let me have a trouble-free trip. I was upgraded to a Hyundai Creta Diesel MT within the next few days at no extra charge, and was very happy about it. Delivery (and return) was at the MAA airport car park.

Our flight was an hour late, so I messaged the delivery agent to come to the car park at 10:30 am instead of 9:30 am as scheduled. He responded back with an acknowledgement at 6 am! Once we landed, he was there already.

Revv self-drive car rentals with doorstep delivery-20211205_105422-2.jpg

This was a clean car, with just a few scratches, and the handover was smooth - I got an OTP, and then the key + remote was handed over. It was rattle-free, had reasonably good tyres (JK UX Royale front / Goodyear TripleMax rear) with 25-30% life left. Driving it was fun after not having driven a CRDi for a long time, but that is another story.

At the Pondicherry RTO check post, there was some purported issue with the paperwork, and they were asking for a Rs.500 bribe. Facing a huge language block (the guy spoke no Hindi, and very little English), I connected to the Revv Chennai helpline number, and in 10 minutes they spoke to the RTO person and sorted the issue out - no bribe to be paid.

I returned the car on 9th December at 5 pm (half an hour before schedule - I had called in to tell them I'll arrive earlier than scheduled) with more fuel than they had given me, which was duly noted, as also the absence of new dings, scratches, dents etc. Told them the brakes were a little noisy and needed checking, and the wipers were not too good!

The refund of the security deposit and excess fuel amount was settled to my entire satisfaction, this afternoon.

Chatting with the collection person, I heard some horror stories from their end - about a Revv car being totalled in a crash in Coimbatore, and the driver suffering broken legs, because he fell asleep at the wheel. About the time someone swapped out an XUV5OO's entire gearbox. And about the times they've pulled back a reservation because the driver appeared to be inclined to misuse / abuse the car or did not have a driving licence that is more than 1 year old.

All in all, a superb first-timer's experience with Revv, and I'd strongly recommend them.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 22:59   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So, for the first time in my life, I booked a self-drive car in India. It was a Revv, ex-Chennai, for a 5-day trip to Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram, from 5-9 December 2021.

All in all, a superb first-timer's experience with Revv, and I'd strongly recommend them.
Did the car have a speed limiter at 80?
Old 11th December 2021, 23:22   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Did the car have a speed limiter at 80?
It had an 80 kmph sticker on the windscreen, but was not electronically limited. I had driven short stretches at 90-100 kmph which had triggered the usual 80kmph beep, but no penalty was levied, nor did the engine cut out electronically. The fine print said 125 kmph IIRC, with 80 kmph limitation applying in some cities.
Old 11th December 2021, 23:51   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Chatting with the collection person, I heard some horror stories from their end - ... About the time someone swapped out an XUV5OO's entire gearbox. ...
Damn! How do they prevent or catch something like this?
Old 12th December 2021, 07:26   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Damn! How do they prevent or catch something like this?
By being able to track the exact location of the car, I suppose, combined with evidence of bolts being opened that any mechanic can figure out.
Old 9th February 2022, 12:48   #187
BHPian

Hello.
Was looking to rent a small hatch back from Revv. Am somewhat unclear about the usage policy. Specifically, if I book the car in my name, is it okay for my wife/daughter (who both have valid licenses and drive regularly ) to drive this Revv subscription car.
The person who contacted me from Revv after my booking was not very clear about this. She said that the contract is with you and our expectation is that you will the one driving. She went on about the insurance carriers terms and conditions.
AFAIK, all car insurance policies cover for the car being driven by other persons - as far as they have valid license and are not "rallying on a race track".
Old 16th February 2022, 03:15   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking forward to rent a car for self drive during the month of November till December from Revv in Chennai. Does anyone have any experience that they can share along with the location and contact numbers?

I'm also planning to drive the car to Bangalore. Will I face any hassle due to the registration plate? If so, please do suggest what could be done to overcome it.

I really appreciate your response in advance.
I did rent cars from Revv for my India trip and I wanted to share my experience here such that it may be useful for someone who is looking to rent as well...

Initially I booked a Hyundai i20 elite for 4 days. The delivery was prompt and smooth. I had a International Driver's permit and a Canadian Driver's License so they took some extra time in obtaining the approval. The car was in a very good condition. Hand over process was also pretty smooth.

For the next two months, I booked a Baleno. The car was delivered right at my home. Exactly the same smoothness as experienced before. This car had run 35000 Kms when it was handed over and I believe it was a mid trim. During this trip I was a covid positive and was not able to go out any where for a brief period. When we were released from 'house arrest', the car would not start as the battery was down. I contacted the customer care, and within an hour, they scouted for a battery service guy and sent him to my address. I did not have to pay him a single penny as I have already paid to Revv for the maintenance.

The last 4 days of the trip saw me booking a Xylo(mainly for the airport run). No hassles in the delivery process. I would like to highlight one thing though. I believe this car was a public carrier before, so it had the same niggles and wiggles as a yellow board vehicle. It was understandable and it was for a short duration, so I did not mind that. However within few hours of acquiring the car, I found that the seat belt was not functioning properly. I felt it immediately after I started driving, but did not mind it as it was working with an extra tug. However after a few hours at one point I was not able to pull it at all. Luckily I was about to start from home, so I immediately called the customer care and I should mention that they were so helpful that they replaced the car in an hour.

Hand over process was pretty smooth at the airport. The rep was at the airport an hour before we came. All my deposits have been refunded on time.

The most important point that I should highlight is - The customer care reps and the staff that deliver/pick up the car are so professional and prompt.

Overall I would give a 4.8/5 star rating for my entire experience and would highly recommend them.

Disclaimer: The verdict is purely based on my experience with Revv at Chennai.
gabrielthomas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 16:44   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a pleasant first experience with Revv this weekend.

I was looking for an alternative to Zoom- with whom I have had some pleasant experiences but whose recent reviews are dreadful- and had zeroed in on Revv for a trip planned ex-Bangalore to Chikmagalur in February. But due to illness we had to scrap our plan and I had to cancel the Revv booking for a refund less cancellation fee (400/-).

This time it was a wedding to attend in NOIDA on Saturday morning. I booked a flight landing at 8 am and wanted to go directly to the venue, followed by a return to Delhi and some local sightseeing and visiting friends. I decided to self-drive and checked what options there were: Revv turned out to be the frontrunner along with Mychoize.

I was alone, with one or two companions on some of the trips and very little luggage, so chose a Swift AT. At the time of booking (about 2 weeks before the trip) there were plenty of cars available, automatics included. I opened a browser on my laptop and one on my phone and did some side-by-side shopping. To my surprise, Mychoize added GST (state and central) at the very end and that caused a difference of 1800/- or so in the cost. Revv was quoting just under 5k for just over two full days, most of them weekend hours. Mychoize was nearly 7K. It was a no-brainer and I booked a Swift petrol AT from Revv.

They called me a day before my booking started and said a customer had damaged the Swift and it wasn't available. I was offered a choice of MT vehicles (KUV100, Zest, Santro...) but said I wanted only automatic so they offered me a Celerio AT. I was a bit hesitant but the person calling me assured me it would be just as comfortable as a Swift and probably cheaper. This turned out to not the case- the Celerio was actually more expensive- but they said they would honour the original price I had paid. I agreed since I didn't want to spend my weekend grinding my left foot into the clutch!

Delivery: was on time. I was at IGI Airport Terminal 3 and called the assigned guy while waiting for my bag at the concourse. He said to come to the Aerocity metro station and I said OK. When trying to locate it, realised it was 2-3 km away and called the driver back and told him to come to the airport instead. He said it would cost 150/- to enter the airport, to which I reluctantly agreed. He arrived promptly and drove me to the Aerocity metro station for the PDI. The car had minor scratches and its left front bumper was slightly out of kilter, but nothing major. Driver asked for reimbursement of the 150/- and promptly produced a valid receipt when asked so I shelled out the cash. Anyway it would have cost me that much to hire a taxi till there.

Return: I had resigned myself to returning the car at Aerocity metro station and taking an Uber from there to my terminal but the attendant who managed the return told me he would drop me off. He even offered to drop my co-passenger who was taking a flight from a different terminal but we didn't want to delay each other, so he took an Uber. This guy was much more experienced and professional than the one who managed the delivery, and I heard him manage another customer with an issue rather well. He did confirm that the 150/- collected by the delivery guy was legit (in fact it increases by 150/- every 8 minutes) which is apparently why they come to the metro station to do the PDI. Anyway there were no extra charges. All Revv cars come equipped with FASTAG but I apparently did cross any tollbooths (NOIDA doesn't require a toll road).

Overall:

The driving experience was fine. The car had completed 45k clicks on the odo but seemed nicely enough maintained. AC was functioning and the interiors were clean. What I liked compared to Zoom is that there was no mindless time wasting trying to unlock the car, get the checklist uploaded etc. In fact none of the onboarding operations needs the customer's app to be used, which is where ZOOM sucks. He handed me the keys after taking a few pics of the car and me and I drove off.

I got sent a summary of the charges immediately along with an OTP. They promised to return the deposit soon and as I type this barely 24 hours later, the security deposit amount (5000/-) is already credited back to my card.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 17:11   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Delivery: was on time. I was at IGI Airport Terminal 3 and called the assigned guy while waiting for my bag at the concourse. He said to come to the Aerocity metro station and I said OK. When trying to locate it, realised it was 2-3 km away and called the driver back and told him to come to the airport instead. He said it would cost 150/- to enter the airport, to which I reluctantly agreed.
Thanks for sharing! Just a minor info that might help someone in the future.

Airport Express from IGI T3 stops at Aerocity, so one can always take that instead of a cab. Infact I much prefer to catch the metro from Airport if I am alone or travelling light.
Old 8th March 2022, 17:29   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks for sharing! Just a minor info that might help someone in the future.

Airport Express from IGI T3 stops at Aerocity, so one can always take that instead of a cab. Infact I much prefer to catch the metro from Airport if I am alone or travelling light.
Oh I could have taken that. In fact I saw a Metro sign at T3 but ignored it. Next time will be sure to take that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 19th April 2022, 11:20   #192
BHPian

Hi All,

Earlier I have used Revv for a couple of days around Kolkata and had a pretty smooth experience. Presently I am planning to hire from them for an inter-state trip between Maharastra and Telengana. Since I have never driven a commercial vehicle across any state border, not sure whether I will need to pay the entry tax with a self driven car. Or they come with the required permits?

Any insight will be most appreciated.
Old 21st April 2022, 18:19   #193
BHPian

Anyone availed their subscription for a month?

The rental for 15 days is 30k while one month subscription is 20k. Added advantage is there is no kilometer restriction. Looks to be a better option. Only question I am not sure is if I can return the car after 15 days. Logically they should have no problem with that as I am paying for the full month.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th May 2023 at 12:13. Reason: typos and punctuation.
Old 25th April 2022, 14:01   #194
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone used Revv in Nagpur? Just curious to know about the overall experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th May 2023, 11:35   #195
BHPian

Was in Delhi last month for 10-days, the Revv experience was smooth.

Back in Bangalore, have booked a Scorpio for few days, and for some reason (doesn't matter) the car isn't available. Instead of checking with me on ways to address this, Revv decides to automatically assign me a Brezza!

Calls to their provided number on the app goes unanswered. Inconsistent service quality from Revv. They do need to have a more streamlined resolution option else they risk going the way the Zoomcar folks are headed.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks