Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 19:57   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Take a look at this number plate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
May someone please give any details on such number plates?
These are the temporary registration plates issued to cars at the time of sale. This is very common here in North. A car is sold after permanent registration application is completed with the RTO from the showroom. But, since there is a gap between application and registration number allotment and subsequently registration plates related formalities, cars are handed over with a temporary registration number. Now this number is also standardized. Earlier these registration numbers used to be prebooked by the dealers and then allotted to the cars at the time of sale when things were not online.

Based on what I understand:
T = temporary registration
0823 = Car sold in august 2023 (0823)
HR = sold in Haryana state
5657 = registration number
BD = code for dealership or city?

EDIT: quoting another post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Yesterday spotted this number plate. Must be a temporay one from Jharkhand very confusing though.
T= Temporary number
0923 = September 2023
JH = sold in Jharkhand
9680 = registration number 4 digit
B = code for dealer or city/RTO?

I havent yet figured out the last part. Need to check few cars from one particular dealership as well as RTO/city to verify.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 10th October 2023 at 20:07.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 07:58   #962
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
This vehicle belongs to UN.
Blue Number Plates like this are handled via MEA and assigned to Diplomats and UN officials. (You'll see CD/CD/UN which denotes whether they're Embassy/Consulate/UnitedNations). I see them a lot here in NCR.

For traffic regulations: As long as the Vehicle is being driven by the Owner/Diplomat to whom the vehicle belongs, the laws of thier own country applies to them. Basically they are immune to Indian Laws in case they break a local rule and in case of serious offences, they will be treated in thier own country.

You can find more info here:
https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//...matic-vehicles
In form-42, https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/s...vr/FORM-42.pdf you'll see that the handling is via MEA.
I see. Were these kind of vehicles discussed in this thread before?

Does Parivahan, or any other motor vehicle related website have the list of (allowed) vehicles on their website at one place? Can we find such information anywhere at one place?

I think lot of the electrical scooters need no number plate on it. And, it is sometimes misleading when you see such scooters with some number printed on it.
Old 11th October 2023, 09:41   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
BD = code for dealership or city?

B = code for dealer or city/RTO?

I havent yet figured out the last part.
I am thinking this last code is 1/2 characters, specifying the RTO that issued the TR number (not all of them do it I expect because volume would be far lower). BD in the first case could be Bahadurgarh (which probably covers Gurgaon) and B in the second case could be Bokaro.

But aren't TR plates supposed to be in red background? Is that gone, now?
Old 11th October 2023, 10:43   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Red background plates are called "Trade Certificate" - TC plates, and are only used on cars that are driven around temporarily by manufacturers and dealers for moving cars around (like stockyard to dealership), testing, test drives, and being driven to/from RTO.

A temporary registration (TR) is done when a vehicle is sold to end customer, and is valid for a month. For example, if the customer wants to do permament registration himself, he would get the dealership to do a temporary registration in order to be able to take delivery and then he has a month to do the permanent registration himself.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 13:59   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Nicely explained and this could be a valid explanation but again, I cant say for sure as of now. There are many dealerships per city so the last digits representing RTO is a more possible scenario.

Regarding red TR plates, it has already been explained by KiloAlpha above.

Additionally, the temporary number plates are being issued in white background only everywhere and no cops have created issues so far.
Old 11th October 2023, 22:02   #966
Team-BHP Support

Re: Different Number Plates on Indian Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post

Today, i found a different kind of number plate while traveling in the center of Bangalore. The Image of it is below. How are the traffic police learned about these number plates, and how will they issue tokens for any violations if any?

What are the different kind of number plates that are used in India?
Somewhere on the forum, you will see two different Range Rovers with the same plate and also documentation from the government stating that no UN Office exists in Bangalore
Old 12th October 2023, 05:15   #967
BANNED

Sounds Funny. But,these vehicles are on road in India and as someone previously said that it would be vehicles of Consulates. We should be vigilant at such things and inform these to the law enforcement in whatever manner.

Is there a online channel through which such matters can be brought to the notice of the concerned? May be the Police would already be aware of such things.
Old 12th October 2023, 08:47   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds Funny. But,these vehicles are on road in India and as someone previously said that it would be vehicles of Consulates. We should be vigilant at such things and inform these to the law enforcement in whatever manner.

Is there a online channel through which such matters can be brought to the notice of the concerned? May be the Police would already be aware of such things.
There is nothing to report here.

These vehicles have been allotted Diplomatic plates by Motor Vehicles dept. in conjunction with Ministry of External Affairs. Every Embassy and Consulate operating in India registers the vehicles it brings ahead with MEA which in turn allocates the Blue Plates to them per the eligibility (no. of vehicles based on the no. of Diplomats and Staff recognized by the MEA). Not all staff members get these plates. Also these plates could be for both imported vehicles and also locally procured Indian manufactured vehicles. These vehicles are exempt from traffic laws and Tolls.

The first Numeric set corresponds to the Country and the second set to the serial no. of vehicle with the Embassy/Consulate (ex. "1" in CD Plate is United States). CD stands for Corps Diplomatique.

Certain global bodies like UN have a different set of plates and hence starts with UN.

They have all rights to be on the roads of the country they are in and is recognized as per sub-clauses of Vienna Convention on Diplomatic norms.

Any violations (Major ones only, resulting in to any loss of life or destruction of property) are usually brought to the notice of these Embassies/Consulates through formal channels (the PRO of the concerned Embassy/Consulate is first informed) along with a copy to local Commissioner of Police and Ministry of External Affairs desk that handles Embassies and Consulates.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 12th October 2023 at 09:07.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 17:39   #969
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Rajendra Shukla for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Check out this Modi-Style number plate:
Take a look at this number plate!-modi-number-plate.jpg
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 09:46   #970
BANNED

This was one of the oldest in-use car (on road) which i saw in the recent days. Still don't know why the transport authority in Karnataka took 'C' (similar to the one posted in this post) to use for number plates back in the 80s and 90s, and not 'KA' as it is now.

Every state has number plates that start with the letter of their initial alphabet.

Anyone knows the reason for this?

Take a look at this number plate!-20240107_222222.jpg
Old 8th January 2024, 10:36   #971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Still don't know why the transport authority in Karnataka took 'C' (similar to the one posted in this post) to use for number plates back in the 80s and 90s, and not 'KA' as it is now.
According to Wikipedia (so trust it as far as you can throw me!), K was already allocated to Kerala, so C went to Karnataka (Carnatic reference, maybe?)

Last edited by arunphilip : 8th January 2024 at 10:37.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 10:58   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
According to Wikipedia (so trust it as far as you can throw me!), K was already allocated to Kerala, so C went to Karnataka (Carnatic reference, maybe?)
I think it refers to Canara district, my uncle had myz registration, that was Mysore state registration of its time.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:59   #973
BANNED

Is it even allowed to Print anything on a number plate?
Especially if the IND number plates become mandatory, how will these people find ways?

P.S.: BTW, the trailing number is the membership number of my first recreation club.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-20240111_161347.jpg  

Old 21st January 2024, 20:19   #974
BANNED

I'm seeing this kind of number plates a lot these days in Bengaluru. This may be of consulate staff from Denmark. What i don't understand is that they put the note that it is a Government Vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-photo1705847257.jpeg  

Old 5th March 2024, 00:40   #975
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Innova brazenly driving through Bangalore ORR
Take a look at this number plate!-pxl_20240304_061237707.mp.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks