Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2019, 12:28   #17116
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I wonder what the contractor and BBMP are smoking when they execute roadworks like this
Well, it is becoming a norm nowadays. Being a localite it hurts to see the city being abused by such authorities. The least they could do is, place it properly.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 18:19   #17117
BHPian

A flyover with a guarantee of 3 years!!
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...or-736162.html

The government apart from being tone deaf to protests to this project also appears to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Shouldn't any major infrastructure activity have a longer defect liability period? Even if it is at additional cost.

Looks like these guys learnt little from the Sirsi Flyover debacle.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/civic/nothing-but-mudness/articleshow/60930370.cms
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 23:25   #17118
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Moment of truth for Bangalore's wonderfully maintained roads - 45 minutes of rain was all that was needed to flood parts of M G Road and Old Madras road this evening. From the Mayo hall traffic signal only half of the right most lane was usable and almost all vehicles turned right towards Central mall. I took a chance and came out unscathed, the Dzire's higher GC helped. At the next signal near Raheja Towers/B station it was better and I turned left onto Dickenson Road.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 06:59   #17119
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard a bunch of horror stories from a group of unfortunate neighbors who ventured out to enjoy MG Road yesterday evening.

Dreading commute today with insane traffic, some schools reopening , barely removed trees, untold muck and stagnant water everywhere :-(
Old 27th May 2019, 08:31   #17120
BHPian

Am not sure if folks have noticed but the new concrete roads that are being laid across all the arterial roads in Bangalore, replacing the old tar roads seems to be of sub-standard quality. One of the stretches that I use, the outer ring road between Hebbal flyover and Tin-Factory junction has developed cracks and small pits in many places. Its not even 6 months since the oldest part of this stretch was completed. Motorists had to endear hours of traffic logjam while the work was in progress for months at stretch, all for what ? Its just seen a partial summer and a few spells of rain and has started deteriorating
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 08:56   #17121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Heard a bunch of horror stories from a group of unfortunate neighbors who ventured out to enjoy MG Road yesterday evening.

Dreading commute today with insane traffic, some schools reopening , barely removed trees, untold muck and stagnant water everywhere :-(
The trick to coming out with very few burns would be to leave as early as possible so that rush hour nightmares are bypassed. Left for office by 730am and was a smooth journey of 12 kms till MG Road , even though almost every second road throughout Jayanagar and Wilson Garden had broken trees blocking some portion of the road. Bright side is that temperatures have come down at least temporarily, and the weather is back to cool and salubrious vintage Bangalore.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 09:15   #17122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
.. Bright side is that temperatures have come down at least temporarily, and the weather is back to cool and salubrious vintage Bangalore.
Completely agree, my sister in law who had come from Mumbai was singing praises on the weather even though I was complaining that the mid day temperatures was high . Very dangerous to venture out in the evening especially in my locality of Jayanagar due to falling branches and trees, my neighbor's TV conked off due to the lightening strike in the vicinity.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:11   #17123
Senior - BHPian

A person on a scooter had his head smashed by a falling tree in RT Nagar. It was heartbreaking as his two sons were riding pillion with him, and they were thrown off a safe distance.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:01   #17124
Team-BHP Support

Been an eventful weekend in the tree lined city centre

Saturday night, it was pretty dire, somehow left the Club and realised how risky is was driving down tree curtained Convent Road as the car was getting hit with twigs, branches etc.

Sunday morning - en route to Koramangala, branches fallen around CMP grounds. Driving down Koramangala 100 ft road, plenty of tree falls and a brand new Swift was crushed but a tree fall.

Sunday Night - Howling gales. We were supposed to go for a movie but decided it was too risky. At 9.30 Pm, my security asked me to move the Polo as a branch of the tree outside was hanging precariously. My neighbours Mini Cooper was at risk and we could not locate him or his family. Fortunately the car had been moved later on.

Trees were our friends but due to our neglect, they are becoming our foes
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:12   #17125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That's only because our stupid government or whoever else is planting those trees are only selecting the quick growing/soft wood variety and not the sturdy/slow growing trees.
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:59   #17126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I reckon it could be because, the roots of trees are living a life of imprisonment and impoverishment - no space for overland water to percolate below to water table due to concrete and construction material dumped above, thereby loosening soil below floor level as a long term consequence. Also, parts of roots that spread out are chopped off for road/pavement/wall construction.

Its like an arthritis patient not being treated and also not having calcium in their diet.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 10:41   #17127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Long long ago, in a galaxy that is exactly where we are today, I assume that there was a time where trees were growing as they liked, and shed as they wished.. the branches/trunks/leaves would fall, get hollowed out and become nourishment for the earth (the earth produces only what it can consume, the exact opposite of organized synthetic industrialization). In this cycle, trees flourished with nary a soul to analyze, or take in their beauty. Legends have it that trees grew to even 200-300 feet (the ancestors of the redwood sequoia sempervirens) since they were basically, allowed to, and the land was left untampered with.

Then came the 2 legged beings claiming to be the superior species and brought with them the art of organization, they dug canals and ditches to transport water and sewerage without allowing natural percolation into the soil, they cut millions of trees only to plant saplings that bear them vegetation and over time it got so bad that they considered trees as ornamental pillars, lining bitumen and concrete plateaus of what would otherwise be fertile, porous land capable of absorbing water and digesting hollow wood and leaves.

Its my belief that in our sadistic, fastidious basic nature, we wished to control everything to our convenience in a bid to become the gods and overthrow what was otherwise 10 million years of evolution. In simple words we shat where we ate, and today we bear the consequences of that very act.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 16:58   #17128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Long long ago, in a galaxy
And in continuation,

After cutting millions and millions of trees, they started initiatives called "Go Green"

After digging and canalizing the water the way they want to flow, they started rain water harvesting

After creating lots of polluting clear atmosphere, they started talking about "carbon free"

After killing many birds species, they talk about protect nature.

After disconnecting themselves with real friends and relationship, they invented social media to get connected

And what not Simply put, there is no limit and end to human greeds

By the way, this post is Offtopic

Last edited by gkveda : 28th May 2019 at 17:05.
gkveda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 19:38   #17129
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Wanted to take metro to travel instead of driving through. Metro station is 4.5 kms away so took my car with the idea of parking it at the metro station. To my surprise there is no parking left in both parking slots of metro. Oh Man! It's not just roads are full of vehicles, parking spaces in metro station too. Without a last mile connection, without adequate parking at metro stations, I think simply we have reached a saturation in this lovely place.
Old 28th May 2019, 20:17   #17130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Wanted to take metro to travel instead of driving through. Metro station is 4.5 kms away so took my car with the idea of parking it at the metro station. To my surprise there is no parking left in both parking slots of metro. Oh Man! It's not just roads are full of vehicles, parking spaces in metro station too. Without a last mile connection, without adequate parking at metro stations, I think simply we have reached a saturation in this lovely place.
Surprisingly, our country hasn't grown vertical. There are hardly multi-level parking spaces. We need plenty of these,
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-highqualityoutdoormultilevelautomatedcarparkingsystem.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-multilevelhydrauliccarparkingsystem500x500.jpg

There are plenty of vacant plots and they can offer multi-level parking. This thing is selling for $5,000 on Alibaba and can house 31 cars.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-smartautomatedcarliftingmultilevelparkingsystem.jpg

Link: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...129578870.html

Last edited by msdivy : 28th May 2019 at 20:18.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks