Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 09:03   #17041
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The Zomato delivery chap had it enough I think and the biker who not only hit but also abused verbally when alerted certainly wasn't expecting it!

Captured by my friend on his dashcam recently somewhere in BTM Layout.

What was heartwarming is the fact that the rider duly wears helmet after this

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th May 2019 at 09:29.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 09:28   #17042
BHPian

From my last 2 years recurring visit to Bangalore I can say the situation is still same as compared to when this thread was initiated back in 2006. The primary reason being police is untrained to handle traffic and also fails miserably to punish deviations. In Kolkata, any driver no Matter how uneducated thinks twice before breaking rules in light of the consequences that they are most certain about when it comes to Kolkata police. If you run away they might as well track you down at home too, no running away.

Of course lane driving must be imposed along with restricting slow moving vehicle on main roads including Auto which stops frequently.

If Bangalore police is short on man power they must get it addressed ASAP.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 09:39   #17043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

What was heartwarming is the fact that the rider duly wears helmet after this

Wearing a helmet is not complete without strapping it. Helmets being used as weapons has become common place. It seems to hurt more than it saves.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 10:00   #17044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Wearing a helmet is not complete without strapping it. Helmets being used as weapons has become common place. It seems to hurt more than it saves.
You didn't notice a pinch of sarcasm there when I italicized the word "Heartwarming" .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 21:15   #17045
BHPian

Any idea when PRR and/or STRR work will *start*? Anyone has any updates? What exactly is holding it up?

Meanwhile projects whose discussions on paper started much after PRR/STRR discussions began, are well underway and their pics are there in their respective threads in Skyscrapercity.com forums, eg.: Lucknow ORR (by UP state) almost complete, Nagpur ORR (by NHAI), Jaipur ORR (by Rajasthan state I believe) (a 47 kms subsection stretch was inaugurated recently), etc.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:12   #17046
Senior - BHPian

Even google maps fails ridiculously in Bangalore. This morning when I left home for office, initial indication by google maps was 25 minutes for 7 kms. I ended up spending 1 hour on the road! It was just regular traffic, no accidents or whatsoever.
Also, feel its always better to stick to tried and tested roads in Bangalore rather than using some small by lanes that google maps sometime suggests. Traffic in these smaller bylanes are never predictable when compared to main roads where you have some intervention by the cops to sort of ease out the traffic flow.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:49   #17047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Even google maps fails ridiculously in Bangalore.
Quite true. I have experienced this a lot of times. I think the reason for such differences in Google map time and actual time is because when I check before leaving my home, Maps shows the commute time for that moment and traffic situation. However, any small disruption in traffic flow, even a broken down motorcycle (I am not exaggerating here), can have a ridiculous impact. Owing to narrow roads and tremendous flow of vehicles, the situation deteriorates rapidly. The eagerness of Indians to circumvent the jam by jumping lanes doesn't help either. Maps does try to reflect this by adding +11mins, +18mins, etc to the route but often, it is much much worse.

The by-lanes and roads which Maps suggest are to be avoided unless you are yourself well-verse with the road. At times, the road which Maps suggests turns out to be a narrow, 10 feet wide lane with no road, just some rocks, pebbles, mud and deep potholes. And beware, this lane can be just a stones throw away from a major IT Park, Shopping Mall or any other 'well developed' area of Bangalore. So don't be misled to believe that the entire area will have paved roads anywhere in Bangalore. Also, such lanes are a heaven for illegal parking of cabs etc, just adding to the chaos we call Life in a Metro (without a metro).

Last edited by drive2eternity : 6th May 2019 at 11:54.
Old 7th May 2019, 05:42   #17048
BHPian

I visit Pune once every few years and was struck by the contrast to Bangalore roads. There were three main differences that were obvious. Firstly there were not that many potholes. The roads were not smooth by any stretch of imagination, but it did look like the authorities were patching up the road whenever it happened. The second thing I noticed were that the roads were quite clean. There were a lot of mechanised sweepers that I saw in use. Contrast this to Bangalore where there is a constant layer of mud that accumulates and renders half a lane unusable. The third thing I noticed is that people were more mindful of signals. No jumping the signal just because there is no oncoming traffic, which is endemic on our roads.

The roads too are wider in Pune, I had always imagined it as a city with really narrow roads filled with two wheelers but over the years, the road widening seems to have paid dividends.

All this still doesn't mean it is solved issue, my relatives who live in Pune still complain about the traffic, they changed their mind once they came to Bangalore and experienced peak day time traffic.

But I think there are some lessons to learn from a city that has always been known as a sister city and very similar to Bangalore
jaganm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 08:30   #17049
BHPian

Jam alert ��- big jam at the agara flyover going towards sarajapur. Traffic moving at snails pace. Just saw that a big truck has climbed over the flyover on the other side. Police busy removing the trailer.

Commuters going towards HSR , Silk Board better to find alternate routes.

Last edited by mazda4life : 7th May 2019 at 08:33.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 08:42   #17050
Senior - BHPian

Actually, Bellandur to Agara traffic is standstill. Police have employed two cranes to remove the truck. Might take another 15 minutes for the traffic to move. Traffic on the other route (HSR to Bellandur) is moving at normal pace, which is slow.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:49   #17051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Actually, Bellandur to Agara traffic is standstill. Police have employed two cranes to remove the truck. Might take another 15 minutes for the traffic to move. Traffic on the other route (HSR to Bellandur) is moving at normal pace, which is slow.
And traffic coming from Silk board is slowing down, as people are watching and slowing down.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:30   #17052
BHPian

The number of accidents that have happened there! And I can imagine how: Trucks idiotically stick to the right lane in our state with the police doing nothing about it, and the driver (likely unfamiliar with the area) mustn't have been able to see the inner slip lanes from afar (thanks to the great streetlighting in our city), and must have wanted to go up the flyover. Must have made last minute swerve, and bang!

I bet on this theory more than the drunk or sleepy theory, given the number of repeat accidents at this same spot (and also at Intel flyover, similar situation)

They ought to fix mast lighting, and mark lanes sensibly. Split off slip lanes need to have a thick and solid lane marking, not dashed. But will our BTP/BBMP/BDA ever learn?

But you can bet the cops will propagate the drunk or sleepy theory. And the city will relieve itself of all responsibility.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 06:45   #17053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Jam alert ��- big jam at the agara flyover going towards sarajapur. Traffic moving at snails pace. Just saw that a big truck has climbed over the flyover on the other side. Police busy removing the trailer.

Commuters going towards HSR , Silk Board better to find alternate routes.

I usually take a left turn at Jakkasandra signal coming from HSR and this was absolutely empty yesterday and I breezed through to koramangala in 5 minutes. I was thinking it was the government holiday but I guess I need to thank this jam for it
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 13:57   #17054
BHPian

Expect heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic on Mysore road from BGS flyover exit to A2B Mysore road. White-topping has been initiated on this route. People need to add 20 - 25 minutes to whatever travel time google maps is showing for that route.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:19   #17055
BHPian

Any update on White Topping Near Hennur - Hebbal Road ?

Hi Guys,

Need to pick up grandmom from relatives places beyond hebbal.

Will be driving from Silk Board to Hebbal via KRP and Hennur

Was wondering on the condition and status of White Topping on Hennur Road Side

Any guidance will be appreciated

Most Viewed