Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 19:14   #16921
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
(they can't send BMTC buses over the EC because there can't be bus stops for example).
Funnily according to an article I read in Bangalore mirror a few days back, the elevated corridor will be restricted to BMTC and taxis only. Private vehicles will not be allowed.

And while on the subject, Elevated corridor will just shift the traffic jams before and after the corridor. KR Puram bridge is always free, it's just getting onto it that is tough. Same story in Hebbal flyover, as soon as you cross it, the road gets free.

Funnily again, the ring road between Nagavara and Hebbal is a 10 lane 3+3 lanes with 2+2 service roads. Also a 30 feet wide sidewalk is being constructed. But the speed limit is 40kmph. When I kept to this speed, the only vehicle I overtook was a parked BMTC bus. Even an unregistered TVS 50 zoomed past me.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 09:34   #16922
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 3,142 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Funnily according to an article I read in Bangalore mirror a few days back, the elevated corridor will be restricted to BMTC and taxis only. Private vehicles will not be allowed.
That's also a big part of the issue with the proposed plan. Nothing is really clear. (Of course, our wonderful media and their accuracy of reporting also probably contributes to the confusion.)

But different reports say different things. And some aspects of the plan are downright unrealistic, going by what we have seen happen/see happening during the Metro construction and all those flyovers.

They say they will have 'vertical gardens' on all EC pillars. After so many years BMRCL themselves have put up a grand total of...one vertical garden and no signs of any more.

They say they will replace all the trees they cut with 10 for each one. A report I remember reading tracked the tree replacement effort and concluded that yes, saplings were planted, how many survived...

They say water bodies will not be affected because they will be very careful with the debris. Anyone who has lived through the Metro construction on CMH Road in Indiranagar, or the simple Domlur flyover construction, or even the ongoing Ejipura-Koramangala flyover construction will know how realistic that statement is.

All signs that this has not really been a well thought-out plan. Which is why the opposition to it.

We've seen that the number of cars/bikes will keep increasing. No amount of road building will ever be enough. It's really time to start thinking differently. After we lose all our green spaces and we're still stuck in jams, what happens?

Will leave you guys with some pics of Cubbon Park during the weekend. Shutting the gates to traffic on both days of the weekend has really made this into a paradise. Judging by the crowds at 7am (in the park and on the Metro to the park), more than a 'few 100s' probably prefer the trees to remain intact.
Attached Images
     
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 09:57   #16923
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 782
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Good article on the debate about EC, which gives both sides of the argument.

I like the below comment, which is realistic.

Nitin Sheshadri, another panelist from Koramangala, says, “Bengaluru’s population is set to double in the coming years,it would be around two crores in a decade. Even if the population is to shift to public transport, road networks would be needed.Metro can only take 30 lakh rides a day and the suburban network can take up to 20 lakh rides a day, which does not make space for everyone. The revised elevated corridor project also has space for dedicated bus lanes.”

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/68660944.cms
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 13:58   #16924
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 782
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Of course it has to be the experts.

The elected representatives are elected not because they are experts in all the areas of knowledge. Their raison d'etre is to obtain and balance the views of informed people - environmentalists, urban development professionals, economists, social scientists, city planners, legal experts etc. and to put forward the most optimal solution that achieves the policy objectives on the basis of which they solicited office for acceptance of all stakeholder groups.
Who are these informed people, are they paid by govt? can you vouch for them? that they are not lobbyist for some industry, corporation, or some other groups with vested-interested?
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 14:17   #16925
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 3,142 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Who are these informed people, are they paid by govt? can you vouch for them? that they are not lobbyist for some industry, corporation, or some other groups with vested-interested?
To the same extent we can vouch for the government representatives/rest of those backing this proposal. Innocent until proven otherwise.

But seriously, some data/facts would be appreciated instead of conspiracy theories and general scare-tactics like 'parallel government', etc. One can easily look up the names of those people who are co-coordinating the protests against the EC and can easily look up their backgrounds and resumes/experience and decide for themselves.
am1m is offline  
Old 1st April 2019, 15:54   #16926
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,634
Thanked: 2,524 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Who are these informed people, are they paid by govt? can you vouch for them? that they are not lobbyist for some industry, corporation, or some other groups with vested-interested?
So what? A person's erudition doesn't become inapposite just because they are associated with an industry, corporation or other vested interest.
binand is online now  
Old 1st April 2019, 19:15   #16927
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 568
Thanked: 1,165 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This thread keeps going off track every now and then !. Needs to be pulled back.

On a serious note, now that the elevated corridor is going to come up, any idea if that entire stretch across the city is going to be a toll road?
Nalin1 is offline  
Old 1st April 2019, 19:50   #16928
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,677
Thanked: 1,873 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
This thread keeps going off track every now and then !. Needs to be pulled back.

On a serious note, now that the elevated corridor is going to come up, any idea if that entire stretch across the city is going to be a toll road?
Pardon the noob question, but from where to where is this new elevated corridor?
vnabhi is offline  
Old 2nd April 2019, 01:31   #16929
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Good news guys!

Bengaluru’s hyperloop project is ready to take off - https://www.cntraveller.in/story/fir...-almost-ready/

Karnataka is all set to ride the hyperloop hysteria, and this may be ready before you say “kaapi“. According to initial reports, the state has hooked up with One Virgin’s Asia arm, Hyperloop Asia High speed Association, to bring India’s first intercity hyperloop to the Silicon Valley of the country.

For the uninitiated, Hyperloop is a revolutionary means of travel proposed by maverick entrepreneur Elon Musk. It involves travelling in pods through a sealed pipe at speeds that could touch up 1,200km/hr, making it faster than a jet aircraft. Some say the idea came to Musk in 2015, when he was stuck in Bengaluru traffic. By the time he crossed Silk Board, Musk had the blueprint ready and even had two angel investors from neighbouring cars on board.


This Elon Musk fellow is truly revolutionary.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:34   #16930
BHPian
 
GutsyGibbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 385
Thanked: 1,634 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Good news guys!

Bengaluru’s hyperloop project is ready to take off - https://www.cntraveller.in/story/fir...-almost-ready/

[i]Karnataka is all set to ride the hyperloop hysteria, and this may be ready before you say “kaapi“. According to initial reports, the state has hooked up with One Virgin’s Asia arm, Hyperloop Asia High speed Association, to bring India’s first intercity hyperloop to the Silicon Valley

This Elon Musk fellow is truly revolutionary.
Hope you noted that the critical information is posted on April 1st. Funded by Vijay Mallya and Jet airways, that's funny!
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:42   #16931
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Riding a 2 wheeler is plain dangerous except for people who can avail paid medical leave and don't mind permanent disability. .
I don't know if it is just plain ignorance or a complete disregard for facts that results in a statement like this. Two wheelers have their problems but the fact is that 90% of the vehicles and probably 95% of the total trips made in our cities are two wheelers and it is nowhere as dangerous as some of the entitled exclusive car drivers make it seem.

I've gone blue in the face trying to explain it to some of my friends, now I just let them stew in their tin cans complaining about their hour long trips "stuck" in traffic

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Line spacing
jaganm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:25   #16932
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,446
Thanked: 1,872 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I don't know if it is just plain ignorance or a complete disregard for facts that results in a statement like this. Two wheelers have their problems but the fact is that 90% of the vehicles and probably 95% of the total trips made in our cities are two wheelers and it is nowhere as dangerous as some of the entitled exclusive car drivers make it seem. I've gone blue in the face trying to explain it to some of my friends, now I just let them stew in their tin cans complaining about their hour long trips "stuck" in traffic
Every single two wheeler rider friend has had some sort of accident or other - minor or otherwise. Sorry but I don't think I'd risk my life or limb with those kind of statistics. Who knows when the minor ones end up being a life long disability. Considering the state of roads with random potholes and utter government apathy towards maintenance of existing roads, even if you ride as safe as you can with full gear, you could still end up in a situation where you hurt yourself for no fault of yours.

Add to that the dust, grime, noise and pollution around, I'd rather not shorten my life riding a two wheeler during peak hour. I'd rather take the bus if my car is not available.
reignofchaos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:03   #16933
BHPian
 
swissknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chennai
Posts: 816
Thanked: 1,314 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Hope you noted that the critical information is posted on April 1st. Funded by Vijay Mallya and Jet airways, that's funny!


Such info comes up not just on one day of the year, but every day of the year. It's becoming harder by the day to convince people that some news/into that's been viral isn't true.
swissknife is offline  
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:36   #16934
Senior - BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,462
Thanked: 2,729 Times
Default

Guys, avoid Banashankari Temple and surrounding areas this evening as there is a planned road show by Mr Amit Shah in the Bangalore south constituency.

The time mentioned is 6 PM, but crowds will gather from around 4 pm.
Arjun Reddy is offline  
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:21   #16935
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 568
Thanked: 1,165 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I don't know if it is just plain ignorance or a complete disregard for facts that results in a statement like this. Two wheelers have their problems but the fact is that 90% of the vehicles and probably 95% of the total trips made in our cities are two wheelers and it is nowhere as dangerous as some of the entitled exclusive car drivers make it seem.

I've gone blue in the face trying to explain it to some of my friends, now I just let them stew in their tin cans complaining about their hour long trips "stuck" in traffic
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Every single two wheeler rider friend has had some sort of accident or other - minor or otherwise. Sorry but I don't think I'd risk my life or limb with those kind of statistics. Who knows when the minor ones end up being a life long disability. Considering the state of roads with random potholes and utter government apathy towards maintenance of existing roads, even if you ride as safe as you can with full gear, you could still end up in a situation where you hurt yourself for no fault of yours.

Add to that the dust, grime, noise and pollution around, I'd rather not shorten my life riding a two wheeler during peak hour. I'd rather take the bus if my car is not available.
! All said and done, two-wheelers dominate our roads and will continue to do so. Reasons are very obvious. I am fully with jaganm here.

In fact one of my colleagues noticed me coming by bike for three or four days in a week and only one day by car. And he used to drive 60 odd kms by car everyday. He was surprised and suggested that if I can come by car one day, why not everyday?

Me: Even for that one day, I do not want to! But I can't leave the car idle for 5 days. Hence just to keep it running.

Him: But bikes are not safe. Just see the number of buses and trucks on the outer ring road! Their tires are as big as your bike. This is not worth the risk!

A smile from me!. This conversation happened about 6 years ago. I am still doing the same .
Nalin1 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks