Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 09:20   #16786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Heading to the Airport or Airshow this week/weekend? Note these changes along with alternate routes:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-52134304_2148453148553714_6458361796376920064_n.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-52410552_2148452958553733_8721325630223810560_n.jpg

I had driven to the Airport to pick a family member yesterday and noticed that how the regular Airport road (KIAL) is now barred for those heading to the Airport. Signage have come up at many places, as early as Kodigehalli Junction to take the service road, reach Yelahanka (NES), take Doddaballapura road and then take the Rajankunte option to reach the Airport.

Additionally, good thing the cops have done this time to ensure birdwatchers on the flyover don't park their vehicles and jam the traffic is by placing cones and barricades on the fast lane (towards city) so there are only 2 lanes left that eventually makes the traffic dense and leave no room for the 'spectators' to park their vehicles all along the KIAL expressway right from BSF Campus to Yelahanka fork.

Link to Bengaluru Traffic Police's Post.

With this, I am already planning alternate routes to avoid the service lanes of KIAL and Doddaballapura road as much as possible for commuting to my kid's school, especially when returning back.

Another appreciative task done by BTP was to completely close all unscientific median breaks all along Doddaballapura road right from NES Junction all the way till Rajankunte. They have placed huge concrete barrier that not even a 2 wheeler can pass between the gaps. This small change has immensely made a difference to the flow of traffic on this entire 6 lane road since last 3 days!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th February 2019 at 09:43.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 09:25   #16787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
TN Highway Police squads are the best.
I fully agree. They're way better than KA state police. I've never ever seen a KA Hwy police in action.

Even more starkly different is the city police. Chennai city traffic police (as also Mumbai) is way better than Blore city traffic police. You'll always find Chennai traffic police cars with their beacon lights flashing, parked at several places. It sends such a strong message and goes towards reducing offences.

Blore city traffic cops are forever whiling away their time on their mobiles. Totally useless and untrained.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 06:29   #16788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Blore city traffic cops are forever whiling away their time on their mobiles. Totally useless and untrained.
While I agree with your observation, I believe Bangalore traffic has reached such a stage that they have simply given up trying to be enforcers. I see in lot of places that they are having to focus on just keeping the traffic moving.

For example there is a railway gate near my home. There are 2 cops there during peak hours to manage the traffic when the gates open. Needed purely because of our utter indiscipline to follow the basic rules in such scenarios. Not to mention the pathetic nature of a lot of roads which cause chaos that again falls on the head of BTP to manage.

With the main roads bursting that the seams, 2nd level roads were becoming crowded and are needing the presence of a cop, Now I see third level roads following the same pattern. The aet junction behind Ecoworld is an example of the same. Long jams and now a cop is needed for some movement to happen. The force is getting spread thinner and thinner.

Of course, not claiming BTP to be perfect in any way , but I thinking they deal with things not common in any other city.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 09:17   #16789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
...I believe Bangalore traffic has reached such a stage that they have simply given up trying to be enforcers.

Of course, not claiming BTP to be perfect in any way , but I thinking they deal with things not common in any other city.
I agree completely!

I used to be very 'anti-BTP' thought they were just out to make a quick buck at our expense always. But the past 5 years, I've sympathized with them. What a terrible job, almost everyone breaks some rule or the other in Bangalore, how many people can they catch/fine?! Was moving through traffic yesterday, heard an ambulance behind. Everyone started honking to get ahead, but only one chap in a Bolero did the right thing, pulled over. Of course he got several honks and angry gestures by the idiots in fancy cars who didn't realize he was in the right. After the ambulance passed, I thought I'd pull up to him and appreciate his good road sense, but I can't, because he's busy talking on his phone (held in his hand) and driving! In Bangalore, we don't know how to drive, we just know how to operate vehicles! What can the poor cops do?

Standing in this pollution all day directing traffic, I'm afraid a large percentage of our force will end up with respiratory problems, if not something worse in the years to come. I doubt they get paid too much either. And unlike the armed forces or other men in uniform, who gives respect to cops? Which of us would continue to 'do his duty' in such a situation?!

Last edited by am1m : 20th February 2019 at 09:19.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 10:21   #16790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
While I agree with your observation, I believe Bangalore traffic has reached such a stage that they have simply given up trying to be enforcers. I see in lot of places that they are having to focus on just keeping the traffic moving.
Yes. One thing I have observed is that the traffic jams (like the one's in Madiwala Check post, Silk Board fly over, ORR-Ecospace etc.) have become a "normal event" for them. We may rant, and talk about the urgency to reach our destinations; but for BTP these traffic jams are every day affairs. They have increased their thresholds . Only when things go worse (i.e what we may call a catastrophic event) do they even try to ease out things. Too much vehicles on the road, and the roads are saturated. Also on the "enforcement" part; BTP strategy is to go for automation when it comes to "enforcement". They want their men on the ground to focus on other things like traffic control, while they use cameras and other automated devices to enforce the law. That seems to be a very practical approach. I know that many traffic constables were given cameras to record law violations, and they collate such information at the PS level and then issue notices.

Quote:
I feel that every city has an "ethos" (which can be good or bad). Mumbai has always been a city which was on its toes. The people have some sense of discipline (within themselves) and they also have a way to ensure that new comers also follow that. I have found the Mumbai Taxi-wallahs willing to "go on meter", and generally are also real scared of the Traffic Police. And some of the boorish attitude which may be tolerated in Delhi or Bangalore, would lead to common people grouping up and bashing the perpetrators in Mumbai or Chennai. Chennai too have some kind of characterestics of Mumbai. Bangalore has been a very laid back city, and perhaps that leads to lesser conformance to the laws, self disciplined etc. May be the next generation coming up, would improve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
I used to be very 'anti-BTP' thought they were just out to make a quick buck at our expense always. But the past 5 years, I've sympathized with them.
I'm afraid a large percentage of our force will end up with respiratory problems, if not something worse in the years to come. I doubt they get paid too much either.
Unless posted in very remote locations (or Tier II or Tier III cities) the life of a police man is not easy at all. Through movies etc., we may see a very "tough image" of them but reality is way too different. The rules which govern them was for an India which was not developed, every one had enough idle time, and was a British colony. In today's world which government agency would work with a rule of "one day off", and that too when situation permits only? And a work schedule which does not have any fixed shifts/work timings? Yes many IT folks would say that they too work 24/7, but what is their pay scale? Karnataka Police has the lowest pay scale in South India. In BTP even Inspectors report to work every Sunday. Some of them get "permission" (police jargon for leave) but then others will have to cover up the territory under the officer on "permission".

Quote:
And unlike the armed forces or other men in uniform, who gives respect to cops?
There is a respect for armed forces because they generally stay in barracks (no body knows what happens there), they do not generally work alongside "civilians" and off course they are there to protect us from external enemies. The police on the other hand is to "control" us civilians, and they also come from the same society which they would be policing. This I guess is the story in all parts of the world. People may "fear" the police, and also give outward respect to them (out of fear), but they are always held with a certain level of contempt. Very few people sympathise with them :(( .
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 10:59   #16791
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic

I have purchased 2 tickets online for the Aero India Show. Do I need to produce the print out of the tickets in counter to get pass ?

From Malleswaram do we have shuttle services to the venue. For the show that starts at 9 30 AM, what would be the best time to board the shuttle service
Old 20th February 2019, 17:45   #16792
BHPian

Friends, I need to go to Airport this evening to receive my father at 2215. I was planning to start around 2000 from Sarjapur road but now I see this thread and potential block between Hebbal to Airport.

Is this blockade on even in night times or road would open up for moterists?
Should I take hennur road to KIAl?
Appreciate your response.
Old 20th February 2019, 18:30   #16793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is their pay scale? Karnataka Police has the lowest pay scale in South India.
I'm not sure of the pay scale, but people shell out lakhs to get a posting of their choice. Also remember the recent scandal where police exam paper was being sold at Rs. 5 lakhs for a paper. So I'm sure they are remunerated well.
Old 20th February 2019, 19:19   #16794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Friends, I need to go to Airport this evening to receive my father at 2215. I was planning to start around 2000 from Sarjapur road but now I see this thread and potential block between Hebbal to Airport.

Is this blockade on even in night times or road would open up for moterists?
Should I take hennur road to KIAl?
Appreciate your response.
There would be no issues after 9 PM. You may use the regular route itself.
The Thanisandra-Bagalur-Mylanahalli-SW entrance route is not bad at all. I took this route from my home near Jakkur today morning. There are stretches of freshly laid 4 lane roads from Bagalur to Mylanahalli. The last 1.5 kms before the SW entrance road is WIP but nothing to be alarmed about.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 19:21   #16795
BHPian

I counted 4 Bounce scooters from Agara Jn to Bellandur in the morning, nicely parked on the main carriage way. These "mobility solution" companies are doing their tiny bit to choke the roads.
Old 21st February 2019, 00:41   #16796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Slightly off topic
During last edition they didn't want printout, however you were needed to produce the booking reference detail to get a ticket which was to be used for actual entry.
Having a printout helps in that case since it becomes troublesome to produce booking reference on mobile always.

Not sure of bus, however if planning from Malleshwaram do go to bus stand to catch bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I counted 4 Bounce scooters
Agree, one of them trying to squeeze through heavy traffic ended up banging pillions leg against my car somewhat hard today morning.

Luckily he didn't fall off the scooter.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:15   #16797
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. One thing I have observed is that the traffic jams (like the one's in Madiwala Check post, Silk Board fly over, ORR-Ecospace etc.) have become a "normal event" for them. We may rant, and talk about the urgency to reach our destinations; but for BTP these traffic jams are every day affairs. They have increased their thresholds . Only when things go worse (i.e what we may call a catastrophic event) do they even try to ease out things. Too much vehicles on the road, and the roads are saturated. Also on the "enforcement" part; BTP strategy is to go for automation when it comes to "enforcement". They want their men on the ground to focus on other things like traffic control, while they use cameras and other automated devices to enforce the law. That seems to be a very practical approach. I know that many traffic constables were given cameras to record law violations, and they collate such information at the PS level and then issue notices.
I'm sorry, I can't let BTP off the hook so easily. I dont know which part of Blore you live in, but in the Bellandur, HSR, Koramangala areas and several areas of Blore that I've traveled across, I have actually seen BTP personnel ignoring violations (running red lights, driving wrong way, driving with high beam, stopping beyond white line at a signal, etc), I have actually seen BTP personnel whiling away their time on mobile phones while stationed at junctions and just letting things be as they are, I have actually seen BTP personnel chit-chatting away with fellow-BTP personnel while ORRCA volunteers are in the midst of traffic doing the BTP's job in managing traffic.

No siree, I won't let them off the hook so easily. I think they're untrained and unmotivated, and the blame needs to fall on the leadership (police commissioner as well as state CMs for the past 10 years or so).

All the "oh so much chaotic traffic in Blore, so can't blame the poor cops" problem that we're ranting about, is in good measure bcoz the traffic cops aren't doing their duty. If they actually start ticketing people for offences (either by "automation" as you claim (which ain't happening in Blore; take a look at Mumbai, they use automation extensively (even ANPR in some cases, my cousin got ticketed for crossing a white line at a stopped traffic signal); see https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4491494), it'd bring down the offences a lot. That is the natural deterrent to offensive driving. But if you don't catch anybody and just keep crying "oh Blore traffic is chaotic and bad", then thats plain stupid I believe.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 08:59   #16798
Senior - BHPian

Massive jam on outer ring road after ecospace all the way till marathalli due to multiple accidents(G-maps showed some 4-5 mishaps). Folks coming from silkboard/HSR side towards marathalli please take alternate routes if possible.

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st February 2019 at 09:01.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:17   #16799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Massive jam on outer ring road after ecospace all the way till marathalli due to multiple accidents(G-maps showed some 4-5 mishaps). Folks coming from silkboard/HSR side towards marathalli please take alternate routes if possible.
One of those alternate roads is via Bellandur and this is causing havoc on those small roads leading upto Marathahalli.
Old 21st February 2019, 10:14   #16800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I'm not sure of the pay scale, but people shell out lakhs to get a posting of their choice. Also remember the recent scandal where police exam paper was being sold at Rs. 5 lakhs for a paper. So I'm sure they are remunerated well.
This is off topic for the thread. But why people are willing to spend so much money, is because the 100s of way the job allows people to make money (not through salary). There is big money involved here, and I am not denying that. But the pay scale for the police men (especially the lower rungs, who form the bulk of the force) is lowest in South India. In 2016 the police men planned to strike work, and there were rumours last week of this plan getting life again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks