Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 19:31   #17011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Had a near mishap and an emergency braking when a cabbie on left lane suddenly decided to switch lanes to take the U-turn, witch scan regard to the vehicles in the other two lanes. I was on the rightmost lane (Coming from Silkboard) and had to do an emergency braking, and missed T-boning the cab by inches.
How can you blame the poor cab driver? He has to listen to the passenger's rants, keep up with the conversation on his headset with his family/ girlfriend, watch the 20-20 match on the other phone and also take the U-turn. How is he going to see the other lanes before turning?
Previously auto drivers used to do the same kind of turns but they had no distractions other than the passenger. Now these cabs have to multitask like crazy. And god help you if you are in an accident with them.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:20   #17012
Senior - BHPian

White Topping is now really becoming a mess in the Silk Board-Sarjapur Rd-Madivala Check post area. Today it took me nearly 45 mins to clear a distance of around 5km. And today the Traffic Police were also pushing all vehicles to the Tavarakere Main Road. And when I joined back Hosur Road (at the Tavarekere signal - opp. Forum Mall) there was a long line of vehicles on the other side (i.e coming from Dairy Circle side towards Madivala check post), with the jam extending till Christ college. I don't know how today's return journey is going to be.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:38   #17013
BHPian

Today (24th April 2019), took me around 1 hour 40 minutes to drive from RV College on Mysore road to Cubbon park due to heavy traffic from Deepanjali nagar metro till BGS flyover. Shudder to even imagine what the situation would be once road work begins on this direction of BGS flyover (Mysore --> Corporation circle).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th April 2019 at 12:19. Reason: edited
Old 24th April 2019, 18:23   #17014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
White Topping is now really becoming a mess in the Silk Board-Sarjapur Rd-Madivala Check post area. Today it took me nearly 45 mins to clear a distance of around 5km. And today the Traffic Police were also pushing all vehicles to the Tavarakere Main Road. And when I joined back Hosur Road (at the Tavarekere signal - opp. Forum Mall)
No offense but that's quite fast. I cover 3-4kms in 50+ minutes every single day. In fact, the first kilometer takes 30+ mins. Evenings, starting inside Ecoworld and crossing JP Morgan underpass towards Marathahalli!
drive2eternity is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 10:32   #17015
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like solid bad weather on the way for the May Day 'holiday' week.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69050519.cms
Old 28th April 2019, 00:24   #17016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
..a mess in the Silk Board-Sarjapur Rd-Madivala Check post area. Today it took me nearly 45 mins to clear a distance of around 5km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Evenings, starting inside Ecoworld and crossing JP Morgan underpass towards Marathahalli!
It so pathetic that a city like Bangalore that generates such high revenue to the Govt is totally lacking an efficient point to point mass transport facilities so that everybody can leave their vehicles and commute in peace.

People in Bangalore are really struggling to go from one place to another and are getting no help from anyone but left to fend for themselves and take their own vehicles choking every road with never ending jams and blocks.

There is absolutely no will to improve infrastructure, no planning, no local train coverage, no fast tracking of metro, definitely its not due to lack of money/public funds in a city like Bangalore . On top of that, road users are breaking traffic rules and going berserk everywhere especially riding on the wrong side on divided roads. The quality of life is really low with people spending minimum 2 to 3 hours or more of their time everyday just on the roads to cover 20 to 30 KMs.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th April 2019 at 00:35.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 13:07   #17017
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anything be done about the number of two wheelers being parked on the footpath? CMH/Double road in Indiranagar has a number of restaurants and a lot of them encourage their patrons to park their bikes on the footpath in front of the restaurant. Add to this, the Swiggy delivery guys have also started riding on to the footpath and parking their bikes there.

What's the best way to report this? Photos to Bangalore Traffic Police? Photos to Swiggy? Letter to cops? Ironically, there's a traffic police station just up the road! They're surely aware of this.
Old 29th April 2019, 14:59   #17018
BHPian

The first post on this thread was in the year 2006. Come 2019 and it seems traffic woes have only increased multi-fold. During my first sting in Bangalore in 2013, I remember the Silk board woes that virtually every single person, crossing that junction, lamented.
6 years later, the issue has only multiplied... I was talking to a friend who has lived in Bangalore since 2007 and he said that issue has been persisting since then.
Hats off to us folks for bearing this stinking pile of bull. No government seems to be interested in clearing the traffic mess.

I wonder how will this ever be resolved? Or will the populace keep griping away at it even till 2050?

Mod note: Please read rule #13.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2019 at 11:05.
Old 29th April 2019, 15:15   #17019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
... I was talking to a friend who has lived in Bangalore since 2007 and he said that issue has been persisting since then.
Forget 2007, Bangalore began seeing traffic related issues way back in the mid-1990's. And ever since then, the only response any government has had for traffic problems has been band-aid.
Old 29th April 2019, 15:16   #17020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hats off to us folks for bearing this stinking pile of bull. No government seems to be interested in clearing the traffic mess.

I wonder how will this ever be resolved? Or will the populace keep griping away at it even till 2050?
We will continue to 'bear this mess' and continue griping, because as someone rightly quoted, "We're not stuck in traffic, we ARE the traffic!".

Hoping for any government to take strict action is futile, at least until the situation gets much, much worse in terms of pollution levels, or maybe when it starts to take an hour to cover less than 1 km on a daily basis. Right now the only solution the government offers is widening roads, or introducing extra taxes on second car, etc. Funds from both schemes to be misused and not towards solving the issue.

Until then, it's up to us. We could start using public transport more (even if means walking a bit), really make an effort to car pool more, stop buying bigger cars and parking them on the roads when we don't have parking at home, follow traffic rules, stop patronizing restaurants that don't offer proper parking (and not 'valet' parking which is basically parking on the roads again), put pressure on our offices to offer work from home or relocate to places close to metro stations...things like that.

Not a popular opinion or options perhaps, but reality, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2019 at 18:23. Reason: quoted post edited
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 16:34   #17021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No government seems to be interested in clearing the traffic mess,
People stuck in traffic may not be residents around that junctions and might be different constituency. They are not organized and hence they have no say in political matters. Eg, A very small percentage of those stuck in Silkboard reside nearby. But when it affects local residents, some alternatives are worked out to ease traffic, eg Marathhalli junction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
We could start using public transport more (even if means walking a bit),
Though most of our footpaths are not fit for walking, walking is not the problem with public transport. For instance, people prefer Metro whenever possible. It is the punctuality of BMTC is the cause. If I catch the bus back home at 6 PM today, I cannot guarantee I will get the same bus tomorrow +/-15 minutes. BMTC buses start service as per drivers' fancy. They too avoid peak hours due to traffic.
Quote:
really make an effort to car pool more,
A better option than others. Hope everyone can start around the same time. Apps like QuickRide are helpful here for cost & time.
Quote:
stop buying bigger cars and parking them on the roads when we don't have parking at home,
Cars are bought as per one's income, budget. Can't stop that.
Quote:
follow traffic rules,
Unless there is RTO, traffic policing overall, this is an impossible task.
Quote:
stop patronizing restaurants that don't offer proper parking (and not 'valet' parking which is basically parking on the roads again),
People pick restaurants for food. Why suffer with bad food for the reason that joint has ample parking?
Quote:
put pressure on our offices to offer work from home or relocate to places close to metro stations...
Offices are chosen in SEZs for the cheaper rents. Smaller companies can implement this but won't fly with large ones.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 18:46   #17022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
BMTC buses start service as per drivers' fancy. Can't stop that..this is an impossible task.Why suffer with bad food for the reason that joint has ample parking?..but won't fly with large ones.
All very good points.

Which is why this thread will continue to be relevant till 2050 and beyond and will grow exponentially, much like our traffic woes.
Old 29th April 2019, 19:10   #17023
BHPian

What's stopping the government from fast tracking the metro construction?
Metro can alleviate a ton of traffic problems.
Old 29th April 2019, 20:14   #17024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's stopping the government from fast tracking the metro construction?
Metro can alleviate a ton of traffic problems.
Answer is White topping- it is more beneficial than fast tracking Metro.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 09:03   #17025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Answer is White topping- it is more beneficial than fast tracking Metro.
Beneficial to whom? Commuters or money makers?

White topping bad roads is one thing and white topping a perfectly fine road is another. No prices for guessing why white topping is a favoured option l.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks